FINALLY getting a new exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
FINALLY getting a new exhaust

So I have finally found a new exhaust for my car. Working out the details with the guy now, it's a Borla ATAK axleback exhaust. Should sound amazing with my set up, which would be:
Borla ATAK AB
Ford Racing x-pipe
BBK Ceramic shorty headers

I'll also have an Airaid CAI and MPT tune, which helps the exhaust sound out too.
It should sound super loud and mean, deep and angry!

Any feedback? Anyone running ATAKs and have anything to say about them? Can't wait for my car to finally be louder than a whisper.
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
So I have finally found a new exhaust for my car. Working out the details with the guy now, it's a Borla ATAK axleback exhaust. Should sound amazing with my set up, which would be:

Borla ATAK AB

Ford Racing x-pipe

I'll also have an Airaid CAI and MPT tune, which helps the exhaust sound out too.

Any feedback? Anyone running ATAKs and have anything to say about them? Can't wait for my car to finally be louder than a whisper.

Ive heard some V6s with similar setup and all i can say is DAMN theyre gonna be LOUD !! Lol
Your neighbors are gonna hate you 😂
I wanted to get an O/R H-Pipe but emissions here in Cali are way too crazy didnt want to risk a 1500 ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ash0426 View Post
Ive heard some V6s with similar setup and all i can say is DAMN theyre gonna be LOUD !! Lol
Your neighbors are gonna hate you 😂
I wanted to get an O/R H-Pipe but emissions here in Cali are way too crazy didnt want to risk a 1500 ticket

A good loud? I had Pypes pype-bombs and those were even louder.... but they brought tinny rasp and drone.... The Borla's have no drone and from what I've heard no tinny noises. Hoping the headers and x-pipe will deepen them up perfectly. They should, the x-pipe cut out almost all rasp from the Pypes before I took them off. I'm really excited.

That's why I got the FR x-pipe, it goes in before the cat's so you keep them. Have to have cat's here in NY too.
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I think it's going to be obnoxiously loud like the roush are. But since you have shorties and not long tube it may not be as bad. Imo, the s type are the only borlas to go with.

While I don't like the fact you're paying for the branding, I can't say they don't sound good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I think it's going to be obnoxiously loud like the roush are. But since you have shorties and not long tube it may not be as bad. Imo, the s type are the only borlas to go with.

While I don't like the fact you're paying for the branding, I can't say they don't sound good.

The S-types are my first choice... but I just can't spend $600 on an axleback exhaust. The ATAKs are a $700 axleback exhaust. I can get them for half the price of the S-types.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe so, but you might have to live with them and sell them at a loss if you don't like them. As I said, since you have shorties, it might be ok since that tends to tame the exhaust down.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Maybe so, but you might have to live with them and sell them at a loss if you don't like them. As I said, since you have shorties, it might be ok since that tends to tame the exhaust down.

Well my FR x-pipe took out a lot of the rasp of my Pypes and deepened it up. So that plus shorty's will take out a lot if not all rasp and deepen the hell out of anything, if they could with the pype bombs they can with anything.
The ATAKs are not as raspy as the pype bombs, not even close. They are about the same level of loud. The one thing I don't like about the S-types is that you can't hear them at all unless you step on it.
I haven't been able to find ANYONE with ATAKs, shorty headers, and a FR x-pipe. I have the stock resonators in so that will cut out even more rasp.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Not necessarily about rasp. I mean the volume itself is just stupid on the ataks, without much tone. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
We will have the same set up the only thing diffrent is I will have the magnaflow competition exhuast

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
We will have the same set up the only thing diffrent is I will have the magnaflow competition exhuast

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
They should sound pretty similar!
I can't wait to get everything! Hopefully in a week or 2 I'll have it all on
Old 08-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #11

Region: Massachusetts
Thumbs up

I have Borla ATAKs on my 2014 sixxer and it sounds amazing, at first it sounded a little ricey since its a bit higher pitched, but after a while when it breaks in it sounds nice and mean. and the backfire sounds amazing too!
ZHarty297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHarty297 View Post
I have Borla ATAKs on my 2014 sixxer and it sounds amazing, at first it sounded a little ricey since its a bit higher pitched, but after a while when it breaks in it sounds nice and mean. and the backfire sounds amazing too!
Thanks for the feedback! With BBK shorty headers and the FR x-pipe it should really deepen it up and make it sound awesome
Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Borla ATAK sound

This with the shorty headers and x-pipe will sound amazing. The CAI and tune will help too. I'm really excited for it.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Congrats man thing is gonna be loud af

stanglife305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! With BBK shorty headers and the FR x-pipe it should really deepen it up and make it sound awesome
try and post a video if you get a chance! I always love listening to mean sixxers haha. eventually I wanna add BBk LT Headers and a catted BBK X-Pipe, maybe my sound will rival yours someday! I'm still a noob in the car modding game right now!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHarty297 View Post
try and post a video if you get a chance! I always love listening to mean sixxers haha. eventually I wanna add BBk LT Headers and a catted BBK X-Pipe, maybe my sound will rival yours someday! I'm still a noob in the car modding game right now!

I will as soon as the exhaust comes and I can get it and the headers on! I will get the exhaust on myself as soon as it comes in the mail but I need my buddy's help for the headers

Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #17

Yea, best plan to take at least an afternoon for the headers install. Don't wanna mess anything up! haha

Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Wow that's going to be loud! Please try to post a video when your done.

Bama Performance Tune
Raxiom LED licence plate bulbs
Black GT500 style spoiler
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Loud and proud

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I will as soon as the exhaust comes and I can get it and the headers on! I will get the exhaust on myself as soon as it comes in the mail but I need my buddy's help for the headers

Bro, they are going to sound like crap with your set up, so you should sell them to me for a good price lol.

Joking aside they should sound great with your set up, for me it was between Roush and the ataks, I just didn't have the 900$ for ataks, (Canada insane shipping and duty's from AM) so I went with Roush. They are not as insanely loud like some say unless its above 5k at wot. Daily driving under "normal" driving they are fine. Post vids when they are on. : )

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Hello and let me ask; I really wish to found a exhaust like I like do you ever know some one have removed the catalytic's and have a resonator and cut out the muffler??
blackout2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Bro, they are going to sound like crap with your set up, so you should sell them to me for a good price lol.

Joking aside they should sound great with your set up, for me it was between Roush and the ataks, I just didn't have the 900$ for ataks, (Canada insane shipping and duty's from AM) so I went with Roush. They are not as insanely loud like some say unless its above 5k at wot. Daily driving under "normal" driving they are fine. Post vids when they are on. : )

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
LMAO. I can't believe the price I'm getting on these it's a steal! I just bought a new phone today so I didn't have enough for Borla's, then I made a deal with this guy!

The guy next to me at the AM show had the Roush. They sound really good! People make them out to be so obnoxious and raspy but he was revving it and they sounded AWESOME. No rasp at all. They sound real similar to the ATAKs!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout2012 View Post
Hello and let me ask; I really wish to found a exhaust like I like do you ever know some one have removed the catalytic's and have a resonator and cut out the muffler??
Yes a lot of people do that, it sounds like poop IMO though
Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #24
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I've been sooooo close about 3 times to buying the Ataks.

Some guy around where I live was selling his s-types for $250, but I was out of town. Still kick myself for that one.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I've been sooooo close about 3 times to buying the Ataks.

Some guy around where I live was selling his s-types for $250, but I was out of town. Still kick myself for that one.
$250!?!?!?!? wow. I would have bought that even if I had them already and sold them lol
Old 08-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you always is just I try to found a nice close sound to a race car because close to the 5.0 we need buy a V8. Lol. But

Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #27
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
$250!?!?!?!? wow. I would have bought that even if I had them already and sold them lol

I know I know. I was so pissed when I got back and he said he'd sold them.

Doh!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Believe it or not I can hear mine at cruising Speed with the Borla Touring more than I can hear my buddies ATAKs, all he has are A/B
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I will let you know about remove the catalyst and new borla

Old 08-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Borla ATAK AB
Ford Racing x-pipe

Let me know how they sound Grabber! I was contemplating as similar setup.
13StangVizion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I've only heard the ATAKs on a v8 and they weren't really that deep. H-pipes are typically selected for deeper sound.

Touring's aren't as quiet as people may think. My buddy with the Touring AB's and a set of LT headers are just as lond as my S-Types alone.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

So assuming all goes well, my ATAKs will be shipped tomorrow! Grabbing them at a really good price, too..... like, REALLY good....
Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

My ATAKs have arrived !!! Can't wait to get them in

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409877956043.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	165215  
Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
My ATAKs have arrived !!! Can't wait to get them in

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Nice, post a video when u have time!

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Yes and please good video and sound
Thank you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust