Mustang Evolution Forum banner

SR Performance lowering springs

5K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  terryb1026 
#1 ·
So this past weekend I installed SR Performance lowering springs on my mustang. Install was pretty time consuming as I had never lowered a car before and did it without a spring compressor. The front left strut fell apart but luckily I got all the little ball bearings back in. Impossible to install the fronts without another person if your strut falls apart. Rear springs were super easy, did it in half the time it took to do one side of the front. After a few days I have to say I love these springs the car is the perfect height now and it got rid of that horrible 4x4 look. The rear is not as low as the front which is nice it makes it looks super aggressive and stanced. The price cannot be best, and ride quality is maintained, feels great driving around. Handling Is also improved. Couldn't be happier !!!!!

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Wheel spacers always confused me, what exactly do they do? I know they make the tires seem bigger and wider but how exactly do they work.

I am not yet sure if I am going to be keeping the wheels. I need new tires in about 5k miles....
If I can sell my stock 17's I will be purchasing a new wheel and tire set from AM. If I can't, I will just be buying some tires from tire rack for these 18's.

#3 ·
So this past weekend I installed SR Performance lowering springs on my mustang. Install was pretty time consuming as I had never lowered a car before and did it without a spring compressor. The front left strut fell apart but luckily I got all the little ball bearings back in. Impossible to install the fronts without another person if your strut falls apart. Rear springs were super easy, did it in half the time it took to do one side of the front. After a few days I have to say I love these springs the car is the perfect height now and it got rid of that horrible 4x4 look. The rear is not as low as the front which is nice it makes it looks super aggressive and stanced. The price cannot be best, and ride quality is maintained, feels great driving around. Handling Is also improved. Couldn't be happier !!!!!
Grabber,

Awesome write-up! I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying them so much!

Alex

#8 ·
Thanks Alex! And thank you for having these on AM so I was able to get them!
Basically half the price of the other competitors, and I don't see why. They are a good, quality product that gives the perfect drop while not having to break the bank and get new caster camber plates. I don't think I even needed the adj. panhard but put it in just to be safe. Will be taking it for an alignment next week.

Forgot to mention - The install time is about 4-6 hours depending on your level of expertise, if you have air tools, and if you have someone helping and if the struts don't fall apart in the front. The strut falling apart was an extra 30-45 minutes of complete and total frustration.....

If you have air tools, a buddy to help, and you know what you're doing around a cars suspension you could get this done in 3 hours or less. An hour for each side of the front and 45 minutes for the back, probably even less. Literally just drop the sway bar, unscrew the back end, drop it with the jack, switch the springs out, and put everything back together. Couldn't be simpler.
The front is a lot more complex, especially if you use a jack to decompress and compress the springs, which I did since I didn't want to pay to rent a spring compressor.
Awesome video from LMR I used below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo9sg-mTmXw

Word of warning ... it is NOT as easy as this guy makes it look (The rear is). And his voice is so annoying it makes rewatching parts almost unbearable.
If you follow this video (using the jack), you will be good to go and not have to worry about those evil compressed springs killing you and everyone within a 5 mile radius if you somehow mess up with the spring compressor and set one loose on the world.

If you are on the fence about tackling this install yourself, DO IT. It is a great learning experience. It is very time consuming, but so worth it. And you will save a few hundred bucks!!! And you will feel like a boss after doing it!!

#17 ·
I have the same SR springs, here are a couple of picks. They make a huge difference.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

Attachments

#27 ·
LMNO-Looks like you got some solid answers here on this!

For these lowering springs, do u have to buy the shocks or camber plates? Is the stock suspension able to handle just the springs
Only thing everyone advises to get is the panhard bar.
Because lowering your car makes the rear axle kick out.
Mustang's are notorious for having a floating rear-I've seen this so bad on some 99-04's that it looks like something out of "Road Warrior/Mad Max" It's not only going to keep it centered and in check where it belongs but it's going to work hand in hand with the springs to put the power down to the ground where it belongs!

You don't need shocks and struts right away, but I would plan on getting them anyways. I'm actually getting those next
^This-Because the cars so new it's not a real necessity but they would help the dynamics and characteristics that much better!

Alex

#28 ·
Guys, the drop on these looks so much better than stock.

you don't need shocks/struts but since you are in there do it right the 1st time.... I hope to drop mine next year (I'm saving to do it all at once) and if I don't spend any $ on it before I store it for winter that'll be next. Although a custom foglight project has been bouncing around my little brain for a while.....

#36 ·
Camber bolts are fine if you don't plan on a lot of road racing. They'll get you within factory specs so you don't need to worry about excessive wear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#40 ·
It makes me wonder how long your stock shocks and struts can stay good for after your car has been lowered?! Specially if someone already has 25-30K pre-install miles. I know this is more subjective and has various variables that will make difference to their shelf life. I'm hoping someone will chime in with some info on this.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

#43 ·
Hello grabbed, i purchased H&R super sport springs this past weekend and had a question about installation. Most reccomended use of a spring compressor for installation however in the Sve video, a spring compresser was not used, im also installing koni struts and shocks at the same time. Did you actually need the compresser or would you be able to do it without one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.