Throttle Body Spacers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Region: Indiana
Throttle Body Spacers?

I know there are plenty o' threads about the possible benefits of the spacers and even a few positive installs (or at least perceived) and I have been on the fence about buying one (I know, I know, but my argument is if you add up a bunch little things it only seems logical that SOME improvement is to be had, even if only over stock).

Anyway, I just dropped in the BBK 73mm throttle body this afternoon (and no, there was no earth shattering reaction but keep my above point in mind, that with headers, air filters, coils, etc. there is power to be gained short of a tune which is my goal right now, and look at that size difference has to help??) and all performance issues aside, I noticed something that has me scratching my head.

If you look at the intake manifold tube BEHIND the throttle body, it has fins that I am guessing straighten the air out before it enters. I know the concept behind the spacers is to create the venturi effect (to swirl the air making it have some benefit) but my question is, if the space is BEFORE those fins (as I believe it is) wouldn't those fins cancel any effect the spacer-venturi has??

Almost seems as if Ford was one step ahead of aftermarket products in this one..

Guess I can't add photos yet, how about this:

Peace out 'ombres

Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: New York
If you don't have a tune you're getting hardly any gains from any mods you put in.
Don't waste your money on a throttle body spacer.

"At least it isn't a Honda"
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Region: Indiana
Yeah, I was debating it until I saw those fins in the intake manifold. I have so many suspension upgrades lined up I think the spacer is officially off the list.

Again, not so much as trying to argue getting one rather more of do those fins negate any effect the venturi is creating?
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Oklahoma
Somewhat. The venturi effect helps SLIGHTLY at very low end torque from the spacer. But it creates turbulence in the plenum in the upper end of the power band, choking it. So you end up losing more top end power than you gain down low.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Florida
When the intake is ported they remove the fins anyways.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang