New V6 Owner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
New V6 Owner

Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Louis and I just got this beautiful red mustang last Sunday. 2014 V6 Automatic transmission and looking to do some light modding, but I am not sure as to what since my commute is insane and I don't want to decrease overall reliability and engine life. (The car already has 800 miles on it, and I bought it when it had about 15) Thoughts? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	164646   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	171
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	164647  

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A tune and CAI. You will be happy.
ttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No a tune and 3.73 gears and u will be way more happy

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 04:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine does 90 miles a day, not quite 2 years old and 52,000 miles.
You can do a lot to these cars before you affect driveability although unless you are sitting in traffic the whole drive gears would be the last thing I would do.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
No need for a cai. It comes with one stock.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Cold air induction without a tune doesn't do much.

Some people say the factory box is a CAI (although it has an extremely small opening for air, and pulls from the engine bay rather than closer to the exterior) and some people say a CAI makes an immediate difference to performance (though without a tune, the vehicle doesn't know there is a difference beyond sensing more air and adding more fuel).

My experience is that FE was decreased, and it feels less restricted at WOT with a CAI. Not worth it to me if not getting a tune.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

How much of a hit does mpg take from gears? At this point I'm getting around 21.7 and am kind of worried about dropping into the teens on a v6.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Sounds like you need an anti lead foot mod, and to shift more often.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
New V6 Owner

I'd definitely start with a tune, and if you can, do gears at the same time.

That'll really wake your car up.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Mpt tune, cai and gears. I know everybody says a cai doesn't do anything but it is noticeable in throttle response and acceleration. I tested it out about a week ago.. drove with my steeda intake then put the stock one on the same day and the difference was noticable.

Plus with your commutes u will get a few more mpg's. I would also highly recommend an axle back exhaust which really makes the driving experience way more fun.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the responses guys! I think I'll start saving for an intake/tune combo, would bama and airaid be the way to go on that one?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Louis and I just got this beautiful red mustang last Sunday. 2014 V6 Automatic transmission and looking to do some light modding, but I am not sure as to what since my commute is insane and I don't want to decrease overall reliability and engine life. (The car already has 800 miles on it, and I bought it when it had about 15) Thoughts? Thanks
Hey Louis,

Welcome! There's a wealth of information on site here and a lot of helpful folks! What don't you like about the car right now? No matter what car or truck I've owned I've always started with a Tuner and CAI Combo Kit like Vig had mentioned below. My personal recommendation would be to put some miles on the car! Get used to it! You're going to inevitably find something that you're not going to like and you'll want to change so what's the hurry! Take it slow! Let me know if you have any questions at all I'm always here to help!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I'd definitely start with a tune, and if you can, do gears at the same time.

That'll really wake your car up.
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys! I think I'll start saving for an intake/tune combo, would bama and airaid be the way to go on that one?
Bama is good because they offer free tunes for life, so for example if in 3 years from now you add a mod to your car they will adjust the tune for you for free. They also recently revamped their tunes and I have been hearing good things. Another company to look into is MPT. Their tunes are a little more aggressive as far as torque feel and shifting on automatics. Cant really go wrong with either.

As far as the intake, Airaid or Steeda is the only way to go because they utilize the fresh air inlet behind the grille. All the other intakes just suck in hot air from the engine bay. Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
Laser, WOT switch is for nitrous. It closes the circut with the throtle is WOT... hence the name.
Ha ha ha ha ha. JK!

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409359259808.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	164694  
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Here is what I did with mine

I put Magnaflow street axleback mufflers because I like a nice deep rumble that won't give you a headache at 70 miles per hour. They fit great and have excellent looking tips.

Next came the Airaid CAI because it looks the best and uses the cold air intake tube coming from the grill area.

Next was a JLT oil separator because I don't want the blowby oil gumming up my engine. JLT because it is really easy to install and empty the oil it catches.

My car runs great and I just got back from a 2,126.0 mile trip and got 29.366263 Miles per Gallon of 87 octane gas. That is write down the mile and not the computer talking.

You need to decide if you want noise, or just a nice tone. If you decide to get a tune you need to know it can (MAYBE) give you warranty problems down the road if engine work is needed.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha. JK!

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
Lol, staaap.

2014 3.7 Airaid CAI, Roush Axle Back Exhaust
iaintacop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
One of the best performance mods that has provided the most noticeable performance improvement on my daily driver was the addition of 19" FRP Bullitt wheels and BF Goodrich AA rated tires. I bought everything from The Tire Rack online and they were delivered to my door mounted and balanced.
lowbwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Sounds like you need an anti lead foot mod, and to shift more often.
I laughed so hard at this post, my wife asked me if I was ok.
VTHokiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Definetely adjusted my driving habits as I got more used to the car, this current tank the readings going out at 24.3 mpg with lots of city driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #20
Road Trip!

CAI + Throttle Body = Awesome sounding engine

3.73/4.10 gears = Huge grin on your face

Tune to accommodate.

RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #21

Region: Pennsylvania
You are going to have to teach me... I have been routinely at 21mpg. I got 29mpg on the highway ONCE lol with cruise control on. Its brutal, I do traveling Sales, so I partially get paid to drive "Betty". How did you change your driving habits? Just quicker shifts? LOL I admit, I'm not the most economical driver, but I did get better than adverised mpg in a chevy 5 speed. It think im getting used to the 6 spd manual. Love my *****, she is good to me so far...
Tac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I like Alex's reply to take it slow. Get used to your exciting new car before jumping into mods. As much as you love it now slowly you will notice things you'll want to change. My first buy was a rear license plate frame and believe it or not that took longer than I thought to find the perfect one. Then a few satin interior trim pieces and just recently replaced stock speakers.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

What's your opinion on exterior mods such as plastidip and the like ? I would love to make my car resemble a boss 302.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
my .02

axle backs & CAI both for sound improvements only. Also if you got the base model upgrade your factory speakers. No mpg or wtty hits.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
What's your opinion on exterior mods such as plastidip and the like ? I would love to make my car resemble a boss 302.

Plastidip is cheap and looks cheap. I'd suggest high quality vinyl that will look great and last for years.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Plastidip is cheap and looks cheap. I'd suggest high quality vinyl that will look great and last for years.
Yup. I did that to my stock wheels. Hated them after a week. Will not do plastidip again.

It's probably ok for small items like emblems or other bits and bobs, but for larger items and exterior, nooo way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
How much of a hit does mpg take from gears? At this point I'm getting around 21.7 and am kind of worried about dropping into the teens on a v6.
Keep your foot out of it. I do mostly in town driving and get 24mpg regularly with 3.73 gears and a tune. It's basically all that I've changed performance wise. Everything else has been for looks.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Stripes and tint best mods to start with.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Window tint is a great investment. Racing stripes are more of a personal preference (and much more expensive).
Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have had my 2014 for 6 weeks. First mods have been matte black tail light trim and SHR black billet fuel door. I am considering the Airaid intake tube to improve sound just a little.
tucsondivots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just install some long tube headers, cai, tune, aluminum driveshaft and change gears. My m.p.g. on my dash display is showing 19 m.p.g. You will be happy and welcome to the Forum and the Ford Mustang

I voided my warranty 3 months after i got my Mustang
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Window tint is a great investment. Racing stripes are more of a personal preference (and much more expensive).
True on the tint, especially if you live down south. My tint was $175 while my stripes were $380.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

If it is only for daily driving, look at a Steeda intake and Steeda tune. People don't believe that I have a V6 at autocrosses because of the sound that makes (especially at 2000 rpm) until I open the hood (the EVO guys never seem to know how to respond to being beaten by a V6 Mustang). If you like corners, start by looking at some koni shocks.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Nice car, looks great without the vents, scoops, and spoilers.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
If it is only for daily driving, look at a Steeda intake and Steeda tune. People don't believe that I have a V6 at autocrosses because of the sound that makes (especially at 2000 rpm) until I open the hood (the EVO guys never seem to know how to respond to being beaten by a V6 Mustang). If you like corners, start by looking at some koni shocks.
I'd definitely recommend the Steeda tune. Been running just their tune for 6-7 months now (with no revisions/corrections done to it whatsoever) and I've had no problems at all, and plenty of satisfaction.

I'd hold off on their intake. They seem like great intakes, but for $400, there's not much bang for the buck on a stock v6.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang