Reason for a "mandatory" tune on some CAI's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Reason for a "mandatory" tune on some CAI's?

So maybe this is a dumb question, but I looked for the answer but couldn't find it. I've noticed when shopping for a CAI, some of them say a tune is required and some don't? Why? I know I'll get more power out of the package with one, but wouldn't the computer correct for the change automatically?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dark_Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If the MAF diameter changes from stock, the computer must be recalibrated. No tune required CAIs are the same diameter as stock, and therefore do not need to be retuned.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Contrary to what I thought, I was talking to grabber1993 and he said ken (head tuner at mpt) has seen better gains on the dyno using an airaid intake over the "mandatory tune" steeda intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, thats interesting. I got an air raid for my GFs car so she didnt need a tune, but had always wondered about the larger Steeda... gotta think larger = more flow potential.

I saw an article once however that Air raid actually uses fluid dynamics models to "tune" the airflow, and i guess that shows. I imagine you can tell some of the other intakes just slap a filter on a tube and call it a day.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Pony View Post
So maybe this is a dumb question, but I looked for the answer but couldn't find it. I've noticed when shopping for a CAI, some of them say a tune is required and some don't? Why? I know I'll get more power out of the package with one, but wouldn't the computer correct for the change automatically?
Absolutely not a dumb question at all! Looks like Volt beat me to it again! Some CAI's will have a venturi sleeve built into their systems which will prevent codes from being thrown! Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If the MAF diameter changes from stock, the computer must be recalibrated. No tune required CAIs are the same diameter as stock, and therefore do not need to be retuned.
Bam!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I installed the Steeda CAI on my car without a tune, just to see how bad it was. It was bad. The AF was lean. Around 15.8 or so under any sort of load and just got leaner the more you pushed it.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmm, thats interesting. I got an air raid for my GFs car so she didnt need a tune, but had always wondered about the larger Steeda... gotta think larger = more flow potential.

I saw an article once however that Air raid actually uses fluid dynamics models to "tune" the airflow, and i guess that shows. I imagine you can tell some of the other intakes just slap a filter on a tube and call it a day.
I had a "tuned" Injen intake on my Nissan and can tell you that it was absolutely crap. I've never had an airaid but haven't really ever heard anything bad about them. They certainly are cheaper than a K&N or Roush.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in and explained that. So as long as the MAF stays the same no tune required? What about the throttle body? I'm just really leery about messin' around with the computer... I've seen it go horribly wrong more than once, and I can't accidentally kill my daily driver.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The Throttle body should be fine without a tune. You won't get the full benefit, but it shouldn't cause issues. But I will say a throttle body on these cars isn't worth it unless you get into forced induction or just find a hell of a deal.

The gains are very minimal. As for the Roush stuff, as an aside: I don't like to buy their stuff, much like Borla, you're paying for the brand more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Roush CAI's are just rebranded Airaids, heard that somewhere years ago.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I have read that also. They sure do look identical

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I have read that also. They sure do look identical

Also heard I think Roush's suspension packages are just BMR parts
Old 08-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Also heard I think Roush's suspension packages are just BMR parts
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Roush is not a big enough company to distribute AND manufacture everything.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Pony View Post
I had a "tuned" Injen intake on my Nissan and can tell you that it was absolutely crap. I've never had an airaid but haven't really ever heard anything bad about them. They certainly are cheaper than a K&N or Roush.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in and explained that. So as long as the MAF stays the same no tune required? What about the throttle body? I'm just really leery about messin' around with the computer... I've seen it go horribly wrong more than once, and I can't accidentally kill my daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
The Throttle body should be fine without a tune. You won't get the full benefit, but it shouldn't cause issues. But I will say a throttle body on these cars isn't worth it unless you get into forced induction or just find a hell of a deal.

The gains are very minimal. As for the Roush stuff, as an aside: I don't like to buy their stuff, much like Borla, you're paying for the brand more than anything.

More times than not the TB just needs to be tuned for load scaling and daily driveability. Going with a larger TB can basically lead to a really twitchy gas pedal on the stock load tables, so you dial them back a hair for a more tame driving experience. One of the perks of a DBW system.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
More times than not the TB just needs to be tuned for load scaling and daily driveability. Going with a larger TB can basically lead to a really twitchy gas pedal on the stock load tables, so you dial them back a hair for a more tame driving experience. One of the perks of a DBW system.
Weren't you looking for a tuner?

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmmm - certainly food for thought there.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #16

Region: Massachusetts
The brands that are tuneless and still offer gains must be doing something right, right?
ZHarty297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHarty297 View Post
The brands that are tuneless and still offer gains must be doing something right, right?
See post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Contrary to what I thought, I was talking to grabber1993 and he said ken (head tuner at mpt) has seen better gains on the dyno using an airaid intake over the "mandatory tune" steeda intake.
Was that with the spacer removed?

For clarification for people who don't know - the no-tune Airaid CAI comes with a removable piece that turns it into a 'tune-only' CAI for "better" gains
Old 09-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Figured I would chime in on here - Ken from MPT said he has seen better gains on their dyno with the Airaid intake vs. the Steeda for the 2012 3.7 (my car specifically).
I can't quote him since I don't have the email anymore and I do not want to wrongly quote him, but it was something to do with the Steeda intake being "too big" and pulling just too much air in and causing it to run rich.
I love my Airaid, I run a tune with it and I couldn't be happier with it. Noticeable difference when I run it tuned with the intake compared to tuned without the intake. Can't really tell if it makes a difference stock w/ or w/o the intake, but it "felt" like it did. I really missed it while it was off for a week.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I believe it. Steeda's blog talked ab a large filter hindering performance themselves, haha. Maybe they put more work into building the best intake for the GT but not so much for the 3.7

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmmm i dont see how a CAI (especially one that requires a tune) can just make a car rich in and of itself... (typically more air = leaner not richer). I have seen cases where an imporperly sized air filter will wreak havoc on the MAF sensor, which would be my guess, but i have no tuning experience on this platform so thats nothing more than a guess.

Quote:
Was that with the spacer removed?

For clarification for people who don't know - the no-tune Airaid CAI comes with a removable piece that turns it into a 'tune-only' CAI for "better" gains
That's only on the GTs, the V6 is just a single tube that matches the factory MAF diameter.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I believe it. Steeda's blog talked ab a large filter hindering performance themselves, haha. Maybe they put more work into building the best intake for the GT but not so much for the 3.7
It is one tuner's opinion ... wouldn't use this as the basis for what we engineer & manufacture.

We have had great success with our 3.7 CAI with tune.

Quote:
I was having a tough time deciding which CAI to buy for my car. Finally I decided on the Steeda because it was the only one that required a tune, and used the existing air vent. It was pretty easy to install, and I knew as soon as started the car I was making the right choice. My wife was in the car when I started it for the first time after installation, and we just looked at each other like- WOW! It sounded deeper and more powerful. We took it out for a ride and were very pleasantly surprised at the performance improvemen - See more at: Steeda 2011-14 V6 Mustang Cold Air Intake - Made in the USA 555-3159 - Free Shipping!
Quote:
I just got done installing and tunning this CAI on my car. As soon as I turned my car on I felt a major difference, it changed the sound and feel of the car. If you are stuck between all these different intakes companies are making, order the Steeda.
Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I will say on another forum someone had both airraid and steeda intakes on an mpt 93 tune on the dyno, peak was very similar but under the curve the steeda made much better power.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Can't go wrong with either, I find the Steeda one more aesthetically pleasing though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai