My mustang got a scratch :( how to fix?(pic) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My mustang got a scratch :( how to fix?(pic)

Man i am so bummed

On my drivers side door there is a 3-4 inch! scratch

Anybody had to fix a scratch before...Will turtle wax work or do i have to go to a paint shop and spend a few hundred bucks to fix it?

if i run my finger nail across it it goes in so its definitely deep in there , i cant just wipe it off.

Any ideas guys ?? It seriously seems like some ahole keyed it

1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
IS3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think polish then wax (using buffer) should fix it. I also saw a video of a deep scratch and they have to use rubbing compound to fix it.
IS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

You'll probably need a high speed rotary to get this off.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
If your nail catches, it ain't buffing out. You can try wet sanding, but depending on how deep it is, that won't work either.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I picked up a DA for $60 at a local Harbor Frieght. I use mequiars ultimate compound. Basically impossible to screw up. I've had a lot of success taking care of this type of scratch. May not fix them completely but hides them very well!!!

I would start with a DA. Very easy to use!

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

A DA is a good tool, I have one of these as well. This scratch looks pretty bad. It's going to take at least a medium compound to even get close to removing it.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If your going to try the buffing route, use polishing compound first. If that doesn't work, then try rubbing compound.

Good Luck whichever way you go!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Based just on the photo, that looks pretty deep. I don't think you'll be able to buff it out. Go and try to snag the edge of the scratch with your finger nail. If you can feel it, then your best bet would be to consult a professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Based just on the photo, that looks pretty deep. I don't think you'll be able to buff it out. Go and try to snag the edge of the scratch with your finger nail. If you can feel it, then your best bet would be to consult a professional.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree. It looks like it went all the way through the paint down to the primer.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

Yes i can definitely feel it... i am going to go check out few places and see what they say.

Honestly i am so bummed ... i am actually regretting buying a nice car now... i have only had this car for 6 months too and this happens.

Honestly it looks like some jealous ahole keyed it. thats the only way i can explain it.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I think there is a putty you can buy but not sure how well it works.
cjd_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
Honestly it looks like some jealous ahole keyed it. thats the only way i can explain it.
I wouldn't be surprised. Back in the 90s my parents had Jags and this happened to us twice. It was very obvious that it was keyed because they were in spots that it couldn't have been with a collision with anything (like on the hood). Deep gashes, just like yours. Some people can't stand others having nice things...

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Samples from using the $60 DA and Mequiar's Ultimate Compound which is not overly aggressive...

Wife's car. The right side of the scratch was a bit deeper than the rest of the scratch. I probably could have worked it a bit more.... however was happy with the result. You could easily see the scratch before... after, only the little bit on the right was really visible. Walking by you would never notice....

My Mustang..... looks almost like someone took a box cutter to the paint!

Top scratch completely gone. The side scratch is only visible at the right angle and light.... If you didn't know where to look you would never find it....

I've also done a few other car with similar results.... Total investment about $80....

Old 08-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
My wife had a scratch just like that in her car. Was caused by a kid on a bicycle...I saw it happen. Anyways, I used a High Speed Buffer & Meguire's Ultimate Compound & It's pretty much gone. No one ever notices it. Took a little over an hour to clean & buff it out.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I agree with the dual action polisher route. These types of scratches are going to happen throughout the life of the car (especially daily drivers) and it would be far too expensive to take it to a body shop every time it happened. Invest in a da polisher and various compounds and polishes. Meguiar's has a great message board with tons of how to info.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm afraid you're going to have to trade it in or sell it. It's ruined now.

blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
After reading this thread, I thought I'd check out the DA tool from Harbor Freight and possibly pick one up myself.

As a heads up to anyone thinking of getting the one from Harbor Freight, they currently have a 20% off coupon off any item for their Labor Day Sale. So the $67 DA (at my store anyways, dunno if prices vary) is actually $54.

Might be a good time to consider it! I certainly am.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
Yes i can definitely feel it... i am going to go check out few places and see what they say.

Honestly i am so bummed ... i am actually regretting buying a nice car now... i have only had this car for 6 months too and this happens.

Don't be too bummed man. First off, the car is gonna get a few battle wounds. It's sadly, an inevitable part of driving a car. Be it rock chips, scratches, or sun fade, it's gonna happen. REST ASSURED, a pro can take care of that no problem. And it won't cost you an arm and a leg to do it. Maybe a hundred bucks to a buck fifty. Sure, thats a hundred bucks out of pocket, but it'll be good as new.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Samples from using the $60 DA and Mequiar's Ultimate Compound which is not overly aggressive...

Wife's car. The right side of the scratch was a bit deeper than the rest of the scratch. I probably could have worked it a bit more.... however was happy with the result. You could easily see the scratch before... after, only the little bit on the right was really visible. Walking by you would never notice....

My Mustang..... looks almost like someone took a box cutter to the paint!

Top scratch completely gone. The side scratch is only visible at the right angle and light.... If you didn't know where to look you would never find it....

I've also done a few other car with similar results.... Total investment about $80....

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of cutting pad did you go with? I used the Ultimate compound with a medium grade hex pad to try to get out some deeper set scratches. They were barely able to be felt by fingernail, so they weren't super deep. But honestly, with the combo I used it barely made a difference. Those results are fantastic, i'd like to know what you did, so I can give it a go.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of cutting pad did you go with? I used the Ultimate compound with a medium grade hex pad to try to get out some deeper set scratches. They were barely able to be felt by fingernail, so they weren't super deep. But honestly, with the combo I used it barely made a difference. Those results are fantastic, i'd like to know what you did, so I can give it a go.

I used the orange compound/cutting pad from Harbor Freight...

6 in. Compound/Cutting Foam Pad

Old 08-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Consulting Professionals

I think you'll find the typical professional will recommend a repaint of the affected panels. But there are various levels of success repairing the scratch. You should search YOUTUBE for scratch repairing and if nothing else you will see what the various options and methods are, as well as opinions on scratch repairs.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang