Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Brake upgrade for better stopping power: just pads or full kit?

10K views 69 replies 18 participants last post by  Tangster 
#1 ·
Hey there felahs, I'm planning on doing my brake upgrades. Stock ones that came with performance package are absolute shiet. Theyre horrible if you have to do an emergency stop!! I went to the dealership and they're like it's normal.. we tested another mustang and both have similar stopping power.

So now im stuck between 2 options: should I upgrade just the brake pads (power stop z16(street) or z26 (street and strip but are they noisy)) or if should go with complete front and rear pad + slotted rotor kit?

Powerstop has it for $265 (with z16 pads) or $295 (with z26 pads).

I'm on student budget, every $ counts lol

Thanks in advance :)

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

#8 ·
Do you have part number for this kit/rotors? Did you feel huge/noticeable difference in braking power over stock? I know it wouldn't be a brembo replacement, but just curious.

I would suggest using that cash towards an aftermarket brake kit. GT brakes comes standard equipment with Performance package. And let me tell you, they're not that good as some people might think. One panic/emergency stop, and... fingers crossed. I once had to stop at a traffic light from 55mph, ended up in the intersection.

How much better would gt brakes be over the v6? Would the price for some take-offs be worth it?

#3 ·
How much better would gt brakes be over the v6? Would the price for some take-offs be worth it?

#4 ·
I went with the power stop kit of rotors and pads. I'm a happy camper. I might upgrade to Hawk pads on the next go around just for a little more bite. But the kit was a huge help.

Just make sure you burnish/break in the rotors EXACTLY how they say. Done improperly, the drilled holes can form stress cracks and that's no bueno.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#6 ·
Tires are what dictate stopping power, not necessarily what pad / rotor combo you run, think about it... they're your contact patch with the ground.

A larger brake kit's main purpose is its ability to absorb more heat on a road course (more thermal mass in the rotor). Think about this as well, the Brembo GT stops only 4 feet shorter than the standard GT.

Brembo rotor: 14"
GT Rotor: 13.2"

But realize this as well, the Brembo car also has 255 summer tires vs 235 all season on the standard GT.

Well what about extra pistons? The brembo package has 4 pistons vs the GTs 2. Thats true as well, but more pistons does not equate more clamping force, you're still using the same master cylinder and lines arent you? More pistons = more even pad wear and pressure. The GT has 2 large pistons that compress from one side against a fixed opposing side. The Brembo brakes have 4 small pistons on either side that equally clamp the rotor in between them.

Basically, the only time you need larger brakes is when you're over heating them on the road course, and even then you'll likely have a premium DOT4 brake fluid and/or brake cooling ducts first. For just plain better stopping distance, your best bet will be better tires.

The GT and v6 also use the same caliper, the V6 just uses a smaller rotor. I suppose if tires really arent in the budget then a nice set of brake pads on the OEM rotors is your best bet, or a set of centric blanks. Everything else is just for show.

#10 ·
Thanks Volt, I guess I know where you coming from. I'm currently running 255 summer tires and I should add - my car on 225 winter Michelins stops 'comparatively' better. How big of a difference? Not night and day/significant. I mostly do hwy driving and I live in North America's 2nd worst traffic city- meaning lots of idiot drivers doing funny things infront of your car.

I believe I do having problem with my car, my brakes lose their bite not too long after being on the road. My rotors had glazing problem back when it was still new, dealership replaced brake pads (with oem stuff from ford since I have FMPP) and grinded my rotors down. Didn't really solve the issue.

So as per your advise, aftermarket brake peds would be a better option on current stock rotors (for stopping power) as compared to a full kit with slotted rotors?

#7 · (Edited)
You might considered putting on new stainless Steel brake lines also.

#25 ·
I stayed with DOT3, you can ask Ford if you want. I'll only upgrade my fluid when I get different calipers and lines. I don't see the viscosity helping all that much on the stock calipers.

I could be wrong on that though, I haven't looked into it much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#26 ·
I guess it's more to do with boiling point in wet and dry conditions for these different grade of fluids (5.1>4>3). They have a tendency to absorb water, and cause air pockets.. hence the sponginess since youre pressing the paddle against air, and not the fluid. This is where bleeding comes handy.

And where I live, it fcukin rains all winter long.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

#31 ·
I got the Powerstop Drilled / Slotted from AM.

The stopping is great, Pads were squeaking like crazy for a while, So I bought the Duralast Gold C-Max pads from Autozone, But have yet to swap them out...

After I did a couple of burnouts on the powerstop pads, The squeaking stopped... Guess I hadn't broken them in yet... I will however still swap them out this Friday/Saturday.

#47 ·
Sounds like the rear brakes

#49 ·
Same in everything except the GT500.

#51 ·
I got Brembo take offs for 400$ if you can find em for cheap jump on em

#54 ·
So I have narrowed down my choice of front rotors to EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors ($154/pair), Centric Blank Premium Rotors ($165/pair), and StopTech Slotted Brake Rotors ($200/pair). To go with Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads.

1) Which one would you suggest? I know BadCon was suggesting that the price difference between blanks and slotted could be spent on better break pad, but in this case, good quality blanks are right on par with slotted ones. Plus, I am going to be driving in a city where it rains for majority of winter (October - March).

For rear, I am going to stick with stock rotors. One of my friends upgraded to bigger brakes, his stock ones are practically new and I will be buying those from him. Good idea?

2) For EBC rotors, it says 13.3in (337.82 mm) diameter. While a standard GT/performance package rotor is 13.228 in (336mm). Even though the difference is not that big, am I going to have to major fitment issues if I go with EBC? I am also downsizing to 17' winter wheels in winter, from my current 19' summer tires. I don't have any clearance issues so far. Would it be any different now?

Thanks a lot guys :)

#55 ·
I ran EBC rotors on my focus back in the day and they were very high quality. That was awhile ago though, and things may have changed. My default recommendation is Centric Premium Blanks, however for the price difference (marginal), any of the three should serve you well. In all honesty, nothing wrong with a slotted rotor. Most of my previous posts have to do with the actual benefit they provide vs. the cost, but in this case I'd say do it, if for no other reason then they would look "cool." If that doesn't matter to you then pick whatever.

If EBC claims they fit the Mustang, then they probably do. Not sure why they would list a size that's out of spec.

As for the rear brakes, why are you buying someone elses stockers when you already have the same stuff on your car? Do you just need new rotors?

As for the Hawk ceramic pad, its going to be a slight upgrade from stock, but its not a true performance pad. Its a good daily driving pad however, and should serve a street car well and keep the wheels clean. Just don't go doing any track days on them :D.

I was going to make some direct recommendations on pad compounds, but crossover street/race pads never really work all that well. So just get a good street pad and if you ever get into auto crossing or tracking the car, get a true "race" pad and a second set of rotors and call it a day.

However Hawk recently released a couple new compounds. The Hawk Performance Street 5.0 pad is new, and I guess is replacing the original HPS. I haven't heard anything about it. There is also the new Hawk Performance Street/Race pad which I guess is a new version of the HP +. I'm assuming by putting 5.0 in the label, they are targeting Mustang owners directly. I wish I could offer more insight, but details are hard to come by.

I hope the upgrade works out for you!

#58 ·
I changed mine to GT500s that I got from ebay last year. Here's the comparison for V6 PP vs GT500 (both 2013). I never experienced brake fade so far even when I exchange it with low quality pads due to excessive dust. But then again, mine is a street use and never seen a track yet.

Front
White Wheel Disc brake Footwear Auto part

Rear (calipers are the same. Just the size of the rotor and bracket is different)
Auto part Wheel Rim Disc brake Automotive wheel system

It was a jackpot from ebay. So far the best deal I had since infected with mod bug.
Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Vehicle

#60 ·
Man id pounce on take off brembos if i lived in Cali/somewhere it doesn't get too cold in winters. I have to swap my current 19' summer tires for 17' Michelin x ice 3s before November, and brembos are going to create some serious wheel clearance issues. And I'm not in mood to spend another 1.5k for new tires loll

But thanks though, you got an hell of a deal!!

I changed mine to GT500s that I got from ebay last year. Here's the comparison for V6 PP vs GT500 (both 2013). I never experienced brake fade so far even when I exchange it with low quality pads due to excessive dust. But then again, mine is a street use and never seen a track yet.

Front
View attachment 165382

Rear (calipers are the same. Just the size of the rotor and bracket is different)
View attachment 165383

It was a jackpot from ebay. So far the best deal I had since infected with mod bug.
View attachment 165384

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

#62 ·
Spot on Mikey. Never mind 80, I have replicated that experience from 50 countless number of times. I have ended up in middle of an intersection tryna stop from 50-55 because of a yellow light. It felt as if I was braking in foot high water puddle.

As bad it might sound, my 10 year old work van has better brakes. Much more sensitive.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.