Opinions Please - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #36
Road Trip!

Region: California
Yo, I'd ditch the hood scoop and just get a new hood.

Of course, It's a bit more expensive, But then again you're already spending $275 (Assuming you buy it pre-painted) for a non-functional hood scoop.. So why not dish out another $300 and get a functional one?
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
Yo, I'd ditch the hood scoop and just get a new hood.

Of course, It's a bit more expensive, But then again you're already spending $275 (Assuming you buy it pre-painted) for a non-functional hood scoop.. So why not dish out another $300 and get a functional one?
I had thought about it, but my pockets might not be deep enough. I would have to convince the wife
2014 Base V6 MT - Deep Impact Blue
MMD Hood Struts / GT500 Spoiler(Black) / MMD Quarter Window Louvers (Black) / UPR Oil Can / SR Perf Shock-Strut Tower Brace / Replaced Coolant Overflow hose Bama X4/SF4 with Race Tune
IzzyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #38
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyMan View Post
I had thought about it, but my pockets might not be deep enough. I would have to convince the wife
Wait it out for a bit longer then, Trust me... You won't regret it. New hood transforms the car and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you bought something functional and not just for display !

Also, If you do get the hood scoops, I'll be expecting you to create a new thread....

"3M Tape didn't hold too well, Gap in the corner, What can I use to make it stick?"

or something along those lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Anytime! No worries at all, you're in good hands! The logistical side is the fun part for me. As I said I'll get you a shot of your replacement prior to shipping. I'll make sure it's heavily packed so there aren't any issues while in transit. We definitely take care of our customers as well and we hate to hear about things like this happening, especially over the weekend when we should be in the garage (Or parking lot in my case )

Let me know if anything in the meantime!

Alex
Bummer...replacement not in stock. I think I'm gonna hold off on any more upgrades for this year. We are having frost at night now, and it seem the fall/winter is coming too soon.

Anyone know how to fix the paint defects do-it-yourself style?
MMD Hood Struts / GT500 Spoiler(Black) / MMD Quarter Window Louvers (Black) / UPR Oil Can / SR Perf Shock-Strut Tower Brace / Replaced Coolant Overflow hose Bama X4/SF4 with Race Tune
Old 09-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #40
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Bummer...replacement not in stock. I think I'm gonna hold off on any more upgrades for this year. We are having frost at night now, and it seem the fall/winter is coming too soon.
Anyone know how to fix the paint defects do-it-yourself style?
Hey! I was just about to shoot you another PM. I just spoke with our paint booth supervisor and he had said that we have them painted but they just need to be wet sanded and buffed. I'll keep you in the loop and once I see they're online I'll head over to personally inspect and pack your replacement for you!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Hey! I was just about to shoot you another PM. I just spoke with our paint booth supervisor and he had said that we have them painted but they just need to be wet sanded and buffed. I'll keep you in the loop and once I see they're online I'll head over to personally inspect and pack your replacement for you!

Alex
Holy crap, AM is awesome! Being up here in Canada the shipping and duty really lighten my wallet, but the piece of mind about EVERYTHING I order from you guys is well worth the extra cost! Hell I have two mustang shops within a 1/2 hour drive and I still place all my orders with AM lol. Thumbs AM!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #42
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Holy crap, AM is awesome! Being up here in Canada the shipping and duty really lighten my wallet, but the piece of mind about EVERYTHING I order from you guys is well worth the extra cost! Hell I have two mustang shops within a 1/2 hour drive and I still place all my orders with AM lol. Thumbs AM!
Holy Crap, Indeed! We strive to have the best customer service possible. As I've stated here I'm going to inspect the replacement, grab a few shots so everyone can see, package it, and I might leave a hand written note with a riddle...Just to keep things entertaining. FastFord thanks so much for the continued support and business, we really appreciate it!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #43
Site Sponsor

Spoilers online and I'm heading down to our warehouse to grab some pictures for OP! Stay Tuned!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #44
Site Sponsor

Alright! So here's the Spoiler right out of the box:

Unwrapped

And finally wrapped back up on its way out to the OP! tomorrow:

Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 09-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Alright! So here's the Spoiler right out of the box:

Unwrapped

And finally wrapped back up on its way out to the OP! tomorrow:

Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
My main question here is how the hell do you keep black shoes so shiny and clean?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good Alex... Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
My main question here is how the hell do you keep black shoes so shiny and clean?
Nate-A lot of patience

Quote:
Looks good Alex... Thanks
You're very welcome and you should have a tracking number in your mailbox shortly. Don't be alarmed if it's not showing up just yet as it's going to bounce from our warehouse to a hub and then straight to the Philly airport for a red eye ! You know I'm accessible Saturday/Sunday if you have any questions!

Have a great weekend!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 09-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I'm really having some bad luck. I've PMd you Alex.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome job Alex as usual. Glad you get a new spoiler so fast izzy!!

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Awesome job Alex as usual. Glad you get a new spoiler so fast izzy!!

Yeah - Hope it works out. The MMD hood struts I received today, now have a broken end. Sure wish removal instructions had been included. Or at least a warning not to hook the ball and socket together or you wont get them apart without breaking.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

It figures. The replacement came. Wrapped well and looks good although I did not inspect it in detail yet since I immediately noticed there is no 3M tape pre-installed on it, nor the small foam pads to place over the mount holes. I certainly can't reuse the ones already installed. Looks like I'll have to also use the screws I bought at the hardware store.

I know Alex went above and beyond by personally checking things out and handling this but AM as a whole has failed on this as far as I'm concerned. I have sitting here hood struts with one broken end, and a replacement spoiler I can't install. AM wasted a chunk of money with Saturday delivery now since without the adhesive tape and pads, I can't install this. Even if I go buy tape now (not sure what to buy) I can't get this done today and it will rain here tomorrow and Monday, so looks like next Saturday would be the soonest I can swap these out.

On the hood struts, I sent emails to AM at both the RMA and support address yesterday long before they closed. Web says they are open till 9PM Friday and Sat. 9-5. Hopefully I at least get a response. I never got a response on the emails I sent about the initial problems with the spoiler but I assume Alex intercepted them. I would be willing to buy replacement ends or whatever, just think it would be crazy to buy a whole new set for a broken plastic end.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
It figures. The replacement came. Wrapped well and looks good although I did not inspect it in detail yet since I immediately noticed there is no 3M tape pre-installed on it, nor the small foam pads to place over the mount holes. I certainly can't reuse the ones already installed. Looks like I'll have to also use the screws I bought at the hardware store.

I know Alex went above and beyond by personally checking things out and handling this but AM as a whole has failed on this as far as I'm concerned. I have sitting here hood struts with one broken end, and a replacement spoiler I can't install. AM wasted a chunk of money with Saturday delivery now since without the adhesive tape and pads, I can't install this. Even if I go buy tape now (not sure what to buy) I can't get this done today and it will rain here tomorrow and Monday, so looks like next Saturday would be the soonest I can swap these out.

On the hood struts, I sent emails to AM at both the RMA and support address yesterday long before they closed. Web says they are open till 9PM Friday and Sat. 9-5. Hopefully I at least get a response. I never got a response on the emails I sent about the initial problems with the spoiler but I assume Alex intercepted them. I would be willing to buy replacement ends or whatever, just think it would be crazy to buy a whole new set for a broken plastic end.
That sucks bud! A "free" spoiler might turn that frown upside down.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

And I'm not sure if this is a problem, but one of the threaded inserts is far from pressed in. I'm not sure if when I do install, if I should tighten this down or not?

Someone from AM...Should I even use this?? Will this pull right out of the spoiler? Not sure how long it is so I don't know how much is actually in the spoiler. I also don't know if this will cause the 3M tape to compress and have the insert hit the trunk??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-20 11.56.18.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	166534  
Old 09-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #54
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yeah - Hope it works out. The MMD hood struts I received today, now have a broken end. Sure wish removal instructions had been included. Or at least a warning not to hook the ball and socket together or you wont get them apart without breaking.
That's user error....

I've removed my MMD hood struts and have had no problems....
Old 09-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's user error....

I've removed my MMD hood struts and have had no problems....
Good for you.
Explain to me how it's user error? I worked in injection molding for 17 years. The plastic has internal voids. This happened in my hand without ever having installed. I don't understand how I could be that strong. Since there weren't removal instructions, I assumed you had to pry/pull back on the spring steel clip from the back side where the indent is, and when I did...both sides of that strut cracked/broke. Maybe AM should include removal instructions for those of us stupid folks who can't do it correctly like you.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #56
Road Trip!

Quote:
Good for you.
Explain to me how it's user error? I worked in injection molding for 17 years. The plastic has internal voids. This happened in my hand without ever having installed. I don't understand how I could be that strong. Since there weren't removal instructions, I assumed you had to pry/pull back on the spring steel clip from the back side where the indent is, and when I did...both sides of that strut cracked/broke. Maybe AM should include removal instructions for those of us stupid folks who can't do it correctly like you.
Bolded the part where you went wrong.

But hey, don't bash me for not breaking my MMD Hood struts. LOL. I'm not the only one that was able to do it correctly, It's the other way around... You're the only one that WASN'T able to do it correctly. ^_^
Old 09-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Where did I bash you? I said I was the stupid one. I guess all those little bubble pockets and internal voids in the plastic have nothing to do with it but whatever. You God, me dummy. I'll just consider the source when I see your posts.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Calling him stupid for his good struts breaking helps how?
There was literally no point in that. Nothing you've ever touched has broken before?

No need to be a d**k man ....
Don't understand at all where that came from .

Old 09-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #59
Road Trip!

Quote:
Calling him stupid for his good struts breaking helps how?
There was literally no point in that. Nothing you've ever touched has broken before?

No need to be a d**k man ....
Don't understand at all where that came from .

When exactly did I call him stupid?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

"That's user error" "you're the only one who WASNT able to do it correctly ".
You were implying he was stupid and couldn't do what everyone else could do .

There has been a well documented problem with not being able to get the MMD hood struts off or on . There was a thread about it a few months ago . That's the reason I decided not to buy them. If you are interested I believe it was started by Mikeygaga

Old 09-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When exactly did I call him stupid?
Maybe not literally but your overall tone serves no purpose other than to embarrass or shame me the OP. Just because you have removed the struts with no problem doesn't mean that mine breaking was my fault. You can't see beyond your own narcissistic self. I have spoken to others and I did everything correctly.

Please go Troll somewhere else.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #62
Road Trip!

Quote:
"That's user error" "you're the only one who WASNT able to do it correctly ".
You were implying he was stupid and couldn't do what everyone else could do .

There has been a well documented problem with not being able to get the MMD hood struts off or on . There was a thread about it a few months ago . That's the reason I decided not to buy them. If you are interested I believe it was started by Mikeygaga

The reason I said "you're the only one who WASNT able to do it correctly " is because he said I was the only one able to do it correctly... Which didn't really make sense. So I shot it back at him and that makes me the bad guy? =P

Anyways, We're going off topic here, I apologize, IzzyMan, If I came off as rude or if you took it as a form of harassment, Didn't mean it.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Accepted...and same here. I feel I always have to have the last word and that never works out well.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #64
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Accepted...and same here. I feel I always have to have the last word and that never works out well.
I don't think any of the am guys will jump on this as it is their weekend but who knows. I have read a decent amount about the mmd's snapping though so you are not alone in that. Don't hardware stores carry the double sided 3m tape?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Old 09-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #65
Road Trip!

Quote:
I don't think any of the am guys will jump on this as it is their weekend but who knows. I have read a decent amount about the mmd's snapping though so you are not alone in that. Don't hardware stores carry the double sided 3m tape?

If he's not planning on removing the spoiler (He drilled holes onto his trunk, So I'm assuming he's not)

I would recommend purchasing a tube of Epoxy. the 3M tape doesn't even hold that much... Smear some epoxy along the middle of the spoiler, Throughout the spoiler, Tighten the bolts and within 30 minutes, The epoxy will harden like concrete (Not really, But it will be super effective.. Trust me)
Old 09-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They might. What part number or specific tape should it be? I bet 3M makes dozens of different types. What about the self adhesive foam pads? Will AM refund the costs? I don't think I should have to buy anything to replace a defective spoiler. That 3M tape and the foam pads is all there is to keep water from leaking down into the trunk so I'd like it to be the correct tape. I have other commitments today and rain is forecast for tomorrow. I work sun up to sun down until next Sat., so even if I had the correct tape, it is too late.

Also...The one threaded insert not being seated into the spoiler properly, concerns me. Should I attempt to pound it in with a hammer/punch? I believe it sticks out so far that even with the 3M tape, it will be rubbing on the trunk. They are pressed in so I am doubtful I could push it further without causing a paint issue.

I suppose I could eat the cost of the hood struts. Send this new spoiler back with the RMA label provided for the original and live with the original spoiler with the paint defects but I don't think that would be fair considering I have over $400 in these two parts.

I'd like to wait and see what AM and Alex or whomever has to say and how they will resolve these issues. I'm not looking for a handout, but just to get what I paid for. This will have turned into a 3-4 week spoiler install.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #67
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
They might. What part number or specific tape should it be? I bet 3M makes dozens of different types. What about the self adhesive foam pads? Will AM refund the costs? I don't think I should have to buy anything to replace a defective spoiler. That 3M tape and the foam pads is all there is to keep water from leaking down into the trunk so I'd like it to be the correct tape. I have other commitments today and rain is forecast for tomorrow. I work sun up to sun down until next Sat., so even if I had the correct tape, it is too late.

Also...The one threaded insert not being seated into the spoiler properly, concerns me. Should I attempt to pound it in with a hammer/punch? I believe it sticks out so far that even with the 3M tape, it will be rubbing on the trunk. They are pressed in so I am doubtful I could push it further without causing a paint issue.

I suppose I could eat the cost of the hood struts. Send this new spoiler back with the RMA label provided for the original and live with the original spoiler with the paint defects but I don't think that would be fair considering I have over $400 in these two parts.

I'd like to wait and see what AM and Alex or whomever has to say and how they will resolve these issues. I'm not looking for a handout, but just to get what I paid for. This will have turned into a 3-4 week spoiler install.
Might consider going the route rush suggested. Sounds like a good enough plan to me and sounds like it should seal pretty damn well.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If he's not planning on removing the spoiler (He drilled holes onto his trunk, So I'm assuming he's not)

I would recommend purchasing a tube of Epoxy. the 3M tape doesn't even hold that much... Smear some epoxy along the middle of the spoiler, Throughout the spoiler, Tighten the bolts and within 30 minutes, The epoxy will harden like concrete (Not really, But it will be super effective.. Trust me)
I might have done this had I been prepared to do so when the spoiler arrived today. It's too late now so we will see what Alex plans to do. The screws really do all the mechanical fastening, and the tape is more for sealing and keeping the spoiler/trunk from rubbing on each other and future corrosion because of the paint wear..I believe. I live in SALT NY so that would be a concern.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

You should not have to eat the cost of anything.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Might consider going the route rush suggested. Sounds like a good enough plan to me and sounds like it should seal pretty damn well.

I am considering it for next weekend, but shouldn't have to.
Since it's the weekend, I haven't heard from AM nor Alex. I'm not sure why they have late Friday and Saturday hours on the web site. Maybe there is just a skeleton crew on Saturday?? I emailed the support email address last evening.

I appreciate the responses, but adding to my frustration is all the suggestions that I spend more money or go out of my way to make things work. AM dropped the ball here, not I. An occasional hiccup can be expected but this is a bit much.
1- Order spoiler and receive/install
2- Notice defects in paint (Some say I should have noticed. I say AM should have noticed first!)
3- Alex was great and offered a replacement shipped out next bus. day, and asked for Sweatshirt size and offered to refund the couple of dollars from the hardware store.
4-Monday rolls around and no part in stock. Alex will keep me in the loop. Expected in 48 hours.
5-Friday - Alex inspects/post pics and offers overnight shipping. I said OK
6-I have hood struts delivered - Dry fit and when taking apart, the socket broke
7-Saturday noon delivery of replacement spoiler
8-Spoiler is wrapped well, but bare - no 3M tape or install kit with foam pads and one of the mounting threaded inserts is not so inserted.
9-Nothing else in box.

I didn't expect a sweatshirt or a refund of the couple of dollars from the replacement screws I bought. Heck...the screws were my fault since I dropped them into the trunk lid, but Alex offered them. Maybe the additional shipping costs replaced those items?? Whatever, but don't offer them and then not provide them. Maybe a simple oversight.

In its simplest form, I ordered a spoiler, it was defective, a week later I received another defective spoiler without mounting tape. I ordered another item in the mean time which I also consider defective.

As mentioned earlier, maybe I'll be smiling ear to ear after this is all resolved. Until then, I'm definitely frowning.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang