Have been staring at my tuner box - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
I have almost 19000 mi already and no probs yet. I took out the tuner out of the box, went to my car, but saw that the tuner has a sticker that says "warranty void" on it lol. So I put it away lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pardon my french, but stop being such a ***** and just tune it already. U already bought the thing and don't have that much longer on the warranty anyways. U will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Right back at you.

Don’t Panic! The Warranty-Voiding TSB Really Isn’t That Big of a Deal - Speed:Sport:Life

Won't work since your keys and the PAT's system is all tied in to the computer. You would need to have the second computer programmed by a dealer to work with it.
Bam!! Lol

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_runner91 View Post
Just thinking out loud here.......

Could a guy who wants to tune but not void his warranty just buy an extra ecu? For example I want to tune but don't want to risk voiding the warranty. Could I buy an extra ecu to replace my stock one. In theory this should allow me to tune my new ecu and if I ever needed to go to the dealer for anything I could just slap the stock ecu back in.

Does anyone know if this would work? I'm not sure how hard it is to change an ecu.....heck I don't even know where its located but it seems like swapping computers out could hide your flashes.

Thoughts anyone?
Isn't an ECU specifically matched to your VIN? I don't really know much about it but it sounds like you have a good idea (if it can be done).

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I honestly have no idea how the ecu works........ I was just trying to think outside the box. Someone above said it wouldn't work.
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I've heard and read the same about a "footprint". Is it true? I don't know for sure. Think about this though. On your home computer if you delete some thing in your mind and to your eyes it's gone. I work closely with an IT department at work and they told me that when info is deleted if to know how to find it you still can. It comes back to this "footprint". If you have info on your computer that would get you in trouble there are people that can find it. The same with a car. Like some one said unless they're looking for it they might not notice. This is a chance you have to take.
Recovering deleted data from a HDD or SD card is not even close to the same thing as what the ECU reads / deletes. Some parts of the ECU are completely locked and cannot be modified. One of the areas that cannot be modified is how many times the ECU has been flashed and when it was flashed.

It's simply a time-stamp that will always be there unless the ECU is replaced. Then you would likely need a new key and all the other systems would likely have to be reprogrammed to work with the new ECU. Otherwise, stealing a car would become a very simple thing. Pull out the ECU, program the new ECU with vin, replace, put in your key and drive away.

The OP needs to stop being a vag and tune the damn car, assuming the car hasn't had any issues yet.

If it has, it might be best to hold off until the car is completely fixed.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Isn't this the same guy that bashes automatics? Tune the dang car if you haven't had issues before. Hmm...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I am so lucky, my good friends mom is a service manager for the dealership in my town

3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Im new here.. but Have tons of work done on a brand new car. At 500 miles my Ac compressor seized. At that point i had Longtube headers/Air Raid CAI/O/r X pipe Bama tune. All the service guy said to me was you know we can do that work too. I asked him about the warrant thing he basically said that the dealership makes money on warranty fixes from ford. So they will try to cover just about anything. Please note this dealership is one of the biggest FORD Racing shops in the country due to vicinity of Daytona Speedway.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:17 PM   #44
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Fission

Where do you live? I live in Port Orange (Daytona Area) and I think I know the dealer your talking about. A total hi performance Ford dealer that is huge on Roush and GT 500's. They also discount after market stuff and give Daytona Mustang club a 10% discount on anything they sell. I bought my Mustanfg there.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Where do you live? I live in Port Orange (Daytona Area) and I think I know the dealer your talking about. A total hi performance Ford dealer that is huge on Roush and GT 500's. They also discount after market stuff and give Daytona Mustang club a 10% discount on anything they sell. I bought my Mustanfg there.
Ronnie
GY ford of Tomoka Farms Road?

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm gonna do it first thing tomorrow morning lol

elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #47
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes

A very good dealer. I have not needed any warranty work done but I do get my oil/filter changed there as well as tire rotation. I always get Willie to do my service and he is really good at it.
I have never heard anything bad about this dealer.
Whats nice is you can buy Steeda parts as well as Ford Racing stuff. I had a flyer on all of the aftermarket places they can get you stuff from but I lent it to somebody and never got it back.
Tuesday September 2nd. is the Daytona Mustang club meeting. It is at GY Ford (UPSTAIRS) at 7pm.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #48
Registered Member

Regular

You guys are lucky. Your dealer understands high performance and modding a car. A lot of us aren't so lucky and have to fight with them...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm gonna do it first thing tomorrow morning lol

No no no, do not do that. You should NOT tune your car. You should pack the tuner up and mail it to me. I'll even pay the postage. I would hate for something to happen to your car. PM me and I'll give you my address....
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I just uploaded the 87 tune and first thoughts: Car feels nice and "tight" like it's not on laid back mode any more. The flowmaster a sound even better and the throttle response is there. There is no more "lag" when u punch it lol glad I did it

Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol I just uploaded the 87 tune and first thoughts: Car feels nice and "tight" like it's not on laid back mode any more. The flowmaster a sound even better and the throttle response is there. There is no more "lag" when u punch it lol glad I did it

Wait 'til you try out the 93 tune.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Can you give me your very honest opinion? Is the tune worth the $400 and the warranty? Still debating about getting it but there are too many drawbacks and the gains don't sound like anything to write home about. I never felt like my car was "laggy".

Old 09-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
Can you give me your very honest opinion? Is the tune worth the $400 and the warranty? Still debating about getting it but there are too many drawbacks and the gains don't sound like anything to write home about. I never felt like my car was "laggy".

I'm not gonna lie. I have a manual transmission and the car was jumping pretty good off of 1st. Like I said, the car feels tighter. Not like it's working harder per say, but it feels different. This was only w the 87 tune.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post

Everyone's preference is different honestly, I don't see the point paying $400 for a new one when I'm only looking to upgrade the rear gears and throw the code on the exhaust. That's not worth $400 when I can buy a used one for half the price. Now some want to heavily mod out their ride and that's where the tuner pays for itself. But it will wake her up and that is worth buying a used one from somebody ...

Black 2008 GT "to punish and enslave" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

^? By the time u pay to have the tuner switched to work on your car and then buy new tunes u might as well just buy a new tuner all together. It's not like your gonna save a ton of money buying It used. Am I right?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Have been staring at my tuner box

That depends if it's locked or unlocked... You just gotta do your research on what your looking for, like i said everyone is different and don't need tunes for life. I researched different tuners and the cost for custom tunes through other companies. It's really about finding what you're looking for

Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds like a lot of people are really misinformed on tuners . Do research on here do not just read what one person says and take it as law.
Just reading through this I can't fathom why you would buy a $400 tuner and then say I don't want to void my warranty . That's something you should think about before spending $400.
A tune is the single best mod to do to these cars to get the best bang for your buck performance gains and it helps bring out the best in supporting performance mods such as intakes mid pipes etc.
Do your own research and come to your own conclusions on whether or not you should tune. Everyone has a different situation and you have to make an educated decision on your own.
Still don't get how you buy a $400 tuner and then go oh it'll void my warranty maybe I shouldn't. Did you seriously not know tuning voids your warranty? That's impossible you didn't know. I just don't understand the thought process behind this thread at all

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
^? By the time u pay to have the tuner switched to work on your car and then buy new tunes u might as well just buy a new tuner all together. It's not like your gonna save a ton of money buying It used. Am I right?
Some people are cheap and they use the generic tunes that come pre loaded. If you can't afford a $75 tune you shouldn't be tuning your car IMO

Old 09-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not gonna lie. I have a manual transmission and the car was jumping pretty good off of 1st. Like I said, the car feels tighter. Not like it's working harder per say, but it feels different. This was only w the 87 tune.

What do you mean by jumping off 1st? Did you order a 93 tune or just 87?

Old 09-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Some people are cheap and they use the generic tunes that come pre loaded. If you can't afford a $75 tune you shouldn't be tuning your car IMO

+1

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Have been staring at my tuner box

How is it being cheap buying a used ? What's the f'n point of spending money if don't have too? ... Hey bro I have a million tunes for my ride but you only use 93 octane and keep the same exact configuration until you trade it on or sell... It's like paying cable with every movie channel , sports packages, CNN , of whatever else you can buy and "only to watch espn , MTV and NFL network all day" lol what sense does that make?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:DarkEntity:. View Post
man.. I can not believe this dumb #### (94sexystang) is still going strong with this!

JEEZ... My bedroom door has more sense than that guy!

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47678
(last pages)
I don't think you understand. If you get a used tuner there are no tunes on it for your car. Meaning you have to purchase tunes from a company (Bama, MPT, Steeda, etc.). If the tuner is unlocked and unmarried and has generic tunes on it, you can use it but they are not tuned for your specific car and mods and are complete crap. I would never run those tunes on my car. If you're going to spend a few hundred on a used tuner, why not spend $75 for a custom tune and actually get some safe and great gains for your vehicle....

Old 09-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Right, but your buying a used tuner for $200, what tune r u going to use for your car?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think you understand. If you get a used tuner there are no tunes on it for your car. Meaning you have to purchase tunes from a company (Bama, MPT, Steeda, etc.). If the tuner is unlocked and unmarried and has generic tunes on it, you can use it but they are not tuned for your specific car and mods and are complete crap. I would never run those tunes on my car. If you're going to spend a few hundred on a used tuner, why not spend $75 for a custom tune and actually get some safe and great gains for your vehicle....

I agree with you grabber... i would never use a canned tune for my ride nor recommend it. I was pretty much saying "do your research and see whats the best path for you" i would never think about using canned tunes

Old 09-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I thought you were saying you can just buy any used tuner and run it like that and you don't need to ever buy tunes / there's no point in buying them. Stupid mobile app has been messing up quoting some random post from God knows where
Old 09-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what I was +1 to. A 75$ "investment" in a safe and good tune from a reputable company is nothing compared to the amount that I paid for my baby. But to each their own. Used tuners are fine, but I'd still invest some $$$ with either Bama, MPT ect for some safe and good tunes.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Lol naw man like you said its all about research and finding out what your trying to do. You might find out that in your personal situation you don't need to spend $400 was all i was trying to point out lol

Old 09-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

U can get a used tuner for 200$ then a 75$ tune instead of paying 400$..

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

As far as voiding the warranty ... if you're worried about then maybe you shouldn't buy the tuner or deleting the cats for that matter...

Old 09-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

I think this thread has gone off topic lol. I ha my doubts, but as I stated, I agree w most reviewers of this particular product. Car feels "tighter" and stronger. As soon as you step on the gas, there is a transfer of power.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang