Have been staring at my tuner box - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Have been staring at my tuner box

For a day lol!!!! Ugh this whole warranty being voided being not voided Is driving me crazy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Couldn't you put the factory tune back in if you need to visit a dealer? I'm not getting my wifes V6 tuned, but it made a world of difference on my 427R. The extra ponies were worth every penny

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

They can tell if you've messed w the cars CPU

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I had the tuner from my 2010 when I bought my 13, bought the new tunes and installed them at 12,000 miles, 40,000 miles later still running like a champ. I figured if anything was going to break it would have happened by 12K, although I do have to take it in for a leaky pinion seal before the 5/60,000 runs out.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It doesn't void the entire warranty of the vehicle. If in doubt then just don't do it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
BTW I have a dealer that will work with me, as long as it is not a tune related failure it will get fixed. But I have 7,000 miles more and the warranty is gone anyways.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post

Do you have actual hard proof of this and not just hear say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
BTW I have a dealer that will work with me, as long as it is not a tune related failure it will get fixed. But I have 7,000 miles more and the warranty is gone anyways.
Thing is big ticket items like a blown motor or broke transmission have to be approved by Ford before a dealership can begin warranty repairs.

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Do you have actual hard proof of this and not just hear say?
They can tell by the number of flash counts. No way to get around it
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
They can tell by the number of flash counts. No way to get around it
On the Spanish Oak ECU the flash count was also incremented with a ECU reset... and disconnecting the battery also does a reset... so there is no real way for the dealership to tell if the ECU was flashed or simply reset...

Old 08-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Some dealers will work with you on this. Some use it as an excuse to void the warrenty. You might want to ask the service manager of the dealer you work with and find out exactly what their policy is. Sometimes it matters who your tuner is. Brenspeed is local here and a dealer near here is ok with tunes being installed.
lowbwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On the Spanish Oak ECU the flash count was also incremented with a ECU reset... and disconnecting the battery also does a reset... so there is no real way for the dealership to tell if the ECU was flashed or simply reset...
Well on the Ford computer disconnecting the battery resets nothing.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbwan View Post
Some dealers will work with you on this. Some use it as an excuse to void the warrenty. You might want to ask the service manager of the dealer you work with and find out exactly what their policy is. Sometimes it matters who your tuner is. Brenspeed is local here and a dealer near here is ok with tunes being installed.
Dealerships don't have the final say when it comes to big ticket warranty repairs. Those items have to be approved by Ford.

Also you need to understand your warranty rights. Most service managers don't have a clue when it comes to your actual legal rights. In fact most of them have it completely wrong and will try to scare you into believing any kind of mid will void your warranty which is completely false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Well on the Ford computer disconnecting the battery resets nothing.
Sorry disconnecting the battery will increment the reset counter. On the Spanish oak ECU used on the 2005 to 2010 mustang the reset counter was the same as the flash counter.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry disconnecting the battery will increment the reset counter. On the Spanish oak ECU used on the 2005 to 2010 mustang the reset counter was the same as the flash counter.
Sorry but you're wrong. And we aren't discussing the 05-10 models here now are we?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Dealerships don't have the final say when it comes to big ticket warranty repairs. Those items have to be approved by Ford.

Also you need to understand your warranty rights. Most service managers don't have a clue when it comes to your actual legal rights. In fact most of them have it completely wrong and will try to scare you into believing any kind of mid will void your warranty which is completely false.

Ford will know on the 11+ mustangs, 3.7 and 5.0. It leaves a foot print that there is no getting around. Simply disconnecting the battery doesn't work anymore. If they are looking and want to find it, they will find it. This has been covered many times in the forums by 3.7 and 5.0 guys. Google is your friend here.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
It doesn't void the entire warranty of the vehicle. If in doubt then just don't do it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

It doesn't, but it will void the powertrain warranty. So if your fog light burnt out they'd replace that, for instance. Or if SYNC stopped working. But anything dealing with the powertrain, no joy.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
From what I've read, installing a tune puts a time stamp on the ECU. Reinstalling the stock tune does the same. They can't tell what was done to the ECU, but they know something was.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Just tune it man. As long as u return the car to stock before taking it in for service most dealers won't give u a hard time about it. Had my work covered under warranty and I've been tuned since 500 miles. The guy said as long as it's stock wen I bring it in he doesn't care.

Edit: u made your decision to put the tune when you bought it.. now tune the damn thing and thank me later!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

^^^This^^^

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It wont void the whole car warranty

It will have to be proven that the tune caused a problem that blew up your engine or transmission.
The main reason to re-install your factory tune when going in for any warranty work is because the dealer will hook your car up to a diagnostic machine to find a code if needed. If not a factory setting on your CPU they may or may not have a problem getting a code. There would be no problem with the factory stock tune.
Dealers just don't like those kinds of problems.

Another reason is they may upgrade your factory tune for some reason or another.

Every single thing except the engine & transmission is still covered even with a tune.

If you do blow up your engine and Ford say's the tune caused a problem you just call Steeda or Bama because they will arbitrate for you. I don't know if other company's or people doing tunes will do this for you. The CLUTCH is not under warranty as well as brake pads unless a factory default is the problem. ( VERY UNLIKELY)
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Ford will know on the 11+ mustangs, 3.7 and 5.0. It leaves a foot print that there is no getting around. Simply disconnecting the battery doesn't work anymore. If they are looking and want to find it, they will find it. This has been covered many times in the forums by 3.7 and 5.0 guys. Google is your friend here.

Googling will just give a bunch of hear say and speculation. My dealer said this or that. I heard this or that. Does anyone have any hard evidence?

Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, yes when I sat down with my dealer to discuss tuning. That's just how it is with the 11+ mustangs unfortunately.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Bottom line is that this is dealer by dealer thing , some will hassle you some won't. My dealer tends to fight mods, it sucks but what can I do other than be careful what I mod. The alternative??? Say F the warranty. My advice is talk to your service department.

Is denying or voiding your warranty right? No,but its a fight you have to be willing to take on. It might take a while to figure it out though.

OP , why did you buy it if you're not going to use it?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Hard proven evidence is that with the NEW ecu on 11+ Mustangs, a tune will leave a trace. No way around it this time.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

^^Sucks but true^^

Old 08-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Bottom line is that this is dealer by dealer thing , some will hassle you some won't. My dealer tends to fight mods, it sucks but what can I do other than be careful what I mod. The alternative??? Say F the warranty. My advice is talk to your service department.

Is denying or voiding your warranty right? No,but its a fight you have to be willing to take on. It might take a while to figure it out though.

OP , why did you buy it if you're not going to use it?
Great advice! That's exactly what I did to see where they stand. Op, sit down with your local dealer and talk to them about your "potential" plans for your car. This is the dealer that you will be doing your warranty work with and you don't want to be on pins and needles every time your car goes in for servicing or warranty work. I believe this is the best way to go for anyone wanting to tune. Work with your dealer not against them.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Hard proven evidence is that with the NEW ecu on 11+ Mustangs, a tune will leave a trace. No way around it this time.
Please sight your proof. What is the nature of the "trace"?

Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Great advice! That's exactly what I did to see where they stand. Op, sit down with your local dealer and talk to them about your "potential" plans for your car. This is the dealer that you will be doing your warranty work with and you don't want to be on pins and needles every time your car goes in for servicing or warranty work. I believe this is the best way to go for anyone wanting to tune. Work with your dealer not against them.

More than likely your dealership doesn't understand your legal rights under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.... or worse doesn't care about YOUR RIGHTS!

EVERYONE should know their rights under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act BEFORE they even talk to the dealership! I've seen too many cases where a dealership will claim even putting a simple aftermarket muffler will cause the dealership to "void your warranty"!!! Complete and utter BS!!! It happens way too frequently! To many people simply let the dealership to bully them around!

FTC Validates Right to Install Aftermarket Parts | Specialty Equipment Market Association

Old 08-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
More than likely your dealership doesn't understand your legal rights under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.... or worse doesn't care about YOUR RIGHTS!

EVERYONE should know their rights under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act BEFORE they even talk to the dealership! I've seen too many cases where a dealership will claim even putting a simple aftermarket muffler will cause the dealership to "void your warranty"!!! Complete and utter BS!!! It happens way too frequently! To many people simply let the dealership to bully them around!

FTC Validates Right to Install Aftermarket Parts | Specialty Equipment Market Association
Yes the "act", its not a " I can do anything I want to my car and still have a warranty " law. If your dealer proves that changing your cars factory tune caused a catastrophic engine failure by leaning out your engine etc not only will you be on the hook for the costly repair, you will also be out a car while fighting your case in court. The bottom line is that a tune is now stamped in the car and is not removable. Disconnecting the battery cable to remove evidence may have been the case in previous models but not in current ones.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Please sight your proof. What is the nature of the "trace"?
I've heard and read the same about a "footprint". Is it true? I don't know for sure. Think about this though. On your home computer if you delete some thing in your mind and to your eyes it's gone. I work closely with an IT department at work and they told me that when info is deleted if to know how to find it you still can. It comes back to this "footprint". If you have info on your computer that would get you in trouble there are people that can find it. The same with a car. Like some one said unless they're looking for it they might not notice. This is a chance you have to take.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I've heard and read the same about a "footprint". Is it true? I don't know for sure. Think about this though. On your home computer if you delete some thing in your mind and to your eyes it's gone. I work closely with an IT department at work and they told me that when info is deleted if to know how to find it you still can. It comes back to this "footprint". If you have info on your computer that would get you in trouble there are people that can find it. The same with a car. Like some one said unless they're looking for it they might not notice. This is a chance you have to take.
Well said, that's exactly correct.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Google tsb11-07-07PDF no spacing.
In the description ford refers to using IDS to check. This is what IDS is used for. Hope this helps to clarify.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intru...tection_system

Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just thinking out loud here.......

Could a guy who wants to tune but not void his warranty just buy an extra ecu? For example I want to tune but don't want to risk voiding the warranty. Could I buy an extra ecu to replace my stock one. In theory this should allow me to tune my new ecu and if I ever needed to go to the dealer for anything I could just slap the stock ecu back in.

Does anyone know if this would work? I'm not sure how hard it is to change an ecu.....heck I don't even know where its located but it seems like swapping computers out could hide your flashes.

Thoughts anyone?
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_runner91 View Post

Could a guy who wants to tune but not void his warranty just buy an extra ecu? For example I want to tune but don't want to risk voiding the warranty. Could I buy an extra ecu to replace my stock one. In theory this should allow me to tune my new ecu and if I ever needed to go to the dealer for anything I could just slap the stock ecu back in.

Does anyone know if this would work? I'm not sure how hard it is to change an ecu.....heck I don't even know where its located but it seems like swapping computers out could hide your flashes.

Thoughts anyone?
Let me know the answer to this...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I have almost 19000 mi already and no probs yet. I took out the tuner out of the box, went to my car, but saw that the tuner has a sticker that says "warranty void" on it lol. So I put it away lol

Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Right back at you.

Don’t Panic! The Warranty-Voiding TSB Really Isn’t That Big of a Deal - Speed:Sport:Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_runner91 View Post

Thoughts anyone?
Won't work since your keys and the PAT's system is all tied in to the computer. You would need to have the second computer programmed by a dealer to work with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang