Texas and front license plates... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Texas and front license plates...

So today on my way home from work (12:00 am) I was headed north and a cop was headed south we quickly passed each other and he whipped back around and lit me up.. He pulled me over for not having my front license plate mounted on my front bumper. I have one in my front windshield which I pointed to him and apparently that's not good enough..anyway wondering if anyone on here has gotten pulled over for this or what the actual law is. I go to tons of car meets and shows here and Texas and there are multiple cars that have the plate in the window.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Bama Performance Tune
Raxiom LED licence plate bulbs
Black GT500 style spoiler
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Idk tbh I haven't had my front license plate on my car since Iv had it.. 6 month's

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I got a ticket for this a couple of weeks back here in CA. Car was parked on street with ticket waiting for me
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
The only reason I've been given other than "it's the law" is that the sun (or any light really) can easily obscure a plate inside the windshield with a glare, whereas it's nearly impossible to be obscured when mounted properly on the front bumper. I just took a few zipties and secured it to my lower grill opening. When it comes time for a car show/meet, I can easily cut it off and then reattach it with new zipties when done.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #5

Region: North Carolina
http://m.americanmuscle.com/flipdown...ntV1&year=2013

http://m.americanmuscle.com/flipdown...rce=igodigital

Maybe invest in one of these!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
RaceRedOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in Texas, I've been pulled over a lot but mostly for speeding (I actually just accelerate fast and they think I'm speeding) and once they pull me over and can't prove I was going above the speed limit, they give me a verbal warning and give me a warning for the front license plate. Haven't gotten an actual ticket yet

3.7 mustang
Katy Texas
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRedOBrien View Post

I know that every state is different when it comes down to a front plate being required or not. This is one reason I love living in Florida, since they are not required here
Although we are planning to move up north to PA in a couple years and they are required up there. I'm definitely going to be buying one of these frames when the time comes.

rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

"it must be on the forward most part of the vehicle." Thats what i have been told.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRedOBrien View Post

I would like to but the questions is.. I have the roush chin splitter on so would that still work with the roush splitter or only the stock one?

Bama Performance Tune
Raxiom LED licence plate bulbs
Black GT500 style spoiler
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Texas and front license plates...

The car I had before my mustang didn't come with a place to put my front license plate so I simply didn't put one. I got pulled over and the cop explained that by state law, it has to be affixed to the front bumper, how didn't matter, what mattered was that it was on the front bumper.

My mustang came with the front bumper already installed with a license plate holder :/
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It is required in Texas by law, to have a front license plate visibly affixed to the most forward part of the vehicle. Every couple of years the State Legislature meets and this topic comes up, but it never gets addressed. They are too busy worrying about Obamacare and children coming across the border....
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Same law in Ohio. To be perfectly honest it’s just the cop being a dick (common problem I have found). I was driving a Saturn Ion (my beater car) with no front plates and passed a cop at a traffic light. Long story short I got a ticket, so I started counting cars with no plates after pulling back onto the road. I was on a 2 lane country road approximately 20 minutes after that driving home from work and counted 28 cars with no front plates.

I had driven that car for 2 years prior to that, passing countless cops and never had an issue before that day. That was about a year ago now, and I still don't have a front plate on that car. Bought a mustang a month ago and my very first “mod” was taking that hideous front plate off the car . With the amount of cars running around here with no front plate I'll take my chances, and know that I'll probably have to pay a hundred bucks for a ticket every couple years when cop is having a bad day .......... pretty dumb law in my opinion.
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yep I'm here in Dallas and have been pulled over at least twice for the same thing. I think the only reason they require it is so they can justify what would otherwise be an "unreasonable" stop. Honestly - someone out there explain to me how a front plate makes me a better driver? How many times has a cop pulled you over while driving backwards? Yeah exactly. If a cop is chasing you and your looking at each other in the face your license plate don't matter much at that point... Just another pointless law that only bothers people like us. I've thought about going to the capital to fight it but I really don't have the time to invest in it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dark_Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2329 View Post
So today on my way home from work (12:00 am) I was headed north and a cop was headed south we quickly passed each other and he whipped back around and lit me up.. He pulled me over for not having my front license plate mounted on my front bumper. I have one in my front windshield which I pointed to him and apparently that's not good enough..anyway wondering if anyone on here has gotten pulled over for this or what the actual law is. I go to tons of car meets and shows here and Texas and there are multiple cars that have the plate in the window.

From what I read on the DMV (This is for CA, But it shouldn't be too different) it must be secured on the front bumper.. However I know people who have been putting it on their windshield for years and never been stopped.

I also have a cousin who has a show car and doesn't even have it in the windshield, He only has the rear plate and he says he's never been stopped and he drives it a lot.

I've only had my license plate in my windshield for about a month, passed multiple cops and all and they haven't told me anything yet... I guess we'll see when I get that one cop that's having a bad day lol.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I work for a bank and see police officers everyday and every time I see a new officer I ask them the same question.. If my license plate is not on my bumper will I get a ticket. Here are the numerous responses i have gotten. I will also add some of these were state troopers as well.

The biggest thing is, it's a preference by cops.. Meaning some cops understand why we don't put them on a bumper because shows and such. But they are required to be accurately visible from the front. Meaning if I pass you, you should be able to make out every single character on that plate.. Another thing is positioning of the plate on the windshield, they told me to put it horizontal and not vertical.. I live in Harlingen, tx and have driven around for 1 year with no front plate and have yet to be pulled over for a license plate issue.. This a small city compared to Dallas and Austin.. So that may be a deciding factor as well.. Here all the cops are amazingly nice! A few are even in our mustang club.. So to them no plate in the front is common..

Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Most of the cops I run across will not write a citation for this....When I see"to make a long story short" it prob means you pissed him or her off. That will usually get u a ticket.

Sabs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Here in houston I never been pulled over for not displaying the plate in the front.. Had a friend of mine get pulled over and ticketed for not having front plate, so I got paranoid and put it back on... but I hate the look so just the other day I took it off again lol guess I'll take my chances
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

How much is a ticket for no front license plate in texas

Old 09-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
How much is a ticket for no front license plate in texas

We have pretty much the exact same mods lol

I think its a couple hundred.. to lazy to look
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You must just have gotten a cop in a pissed off mood. I've never gotten anything but a warning, and that was from a State Trooper no less (here's me knocking on wood)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Texas requires that the plate be easily visible from outside the vehicle. Forward of the firewall.

My truck doesn't have a front plate and I've only been stopped once for it. Cop gave me a warning. As it's been said. It's a minor thing and it really depends on the cop. Some don't care and will only warn you because they have to. Others will cite you.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Okay, So even though this is about Texas, I just thought you guys should know, I was stopped yesterday for a different reason and he told me he could give me a ticket for no front license plate as well, Even if I had it on my windshield... He told me he wasn't citing me for it at the time but I should get it fixed because they do stop people solely for it.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I'm no fan of big government, but I'm no cop hater either - hell I was trying to be one. BUT, nobody can tell me that this law isn't solely about probable cause.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

It's there because let's say a cop is passing u going in the opposite direction and there looking for a black mustang well they see one and they notice a few of ur license plate numbers match well then u know the rest

Old 09-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
Okay, So even though this is about Texas, I just thought you guys should know, I was stopped yesterday for a different reason and he told me he could give me a ticket for no front license plate as well, Even if I had it on my windshield... He told me he wasn't citing me for it at the time but I should get it fixed because they do stop people solely for it.

Depends on the police officer. Once a cop rolled through a car meet Friday night just to make sure everything was fine. Someone walked over and asked what the whole situation is with front plates being in the windshield. He said it's a pretty gray area since it's supposed to be physically mounted, but most cops will overlook that for the most part.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I think your attitude when getting pulled over can play a large part in how the police officer will treat you. Just like ourselves, they have bad days, and their bad days are always worse than mine; theirs usually involves some crook attempting to take the police officers life.

I agree that a front license plate being required is moot. States that don't require it are in no worse condition then those that do, so I don't see the point of requiring a front plate. That being said, it's not the police officers fault, so we don't need to blame them. However, it does give them an excuse to pull you over, so simply show some respect and kindness. Your chances of getting a warning will be greater, but of course, there's no garantee of that.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_runner91 View Post
Same law in Ohio. To be perfectly honest it’s just the cop being a dick (common problem I have found). I was driving a Saturn Ion (my beater car) with no front plates and passed a cop at a traffic light. Long story short I got a ticket, so I started counting cars with no plates after pulling back onto the road. I was on a 2 lane country road approximately 20 minutes after that driving home from work and counted 28 cars with no front plates.

I had driven that car for 2 years prior to that, passing countless cops and never had an issue before that day. That was about a year ago now, and I still don't have a front plate on that car. Bought a mustang a month ago and my very first “mod” was taking that hideous front plate off the car . With the amount of cars running around here with no front plate I'll take my chances, and know that I'll probably have to pay a hundred bucks for a ticket every couple years when cop is having a bad day .......... pretty dumb law in my opinion.

This same thing happened to me and I reacted the same way! haha. I am from RI and was traveling home from work going the speed limit ( cruise control on 65) and the officer had someone pulled over already on the side of the highway. He finished writing his ticket for that guy, walked around his SUV, stared me down & proceeded to pull me over a mile down the road.

He said the reason he pulled me over is because of my front license plate wasn't showing. Unbelievable....So I sat there and counted the cars with no front plate that were speeding by me. I counted 19 while I was pulled over and an extra 10 on the way home!
jlt intake
sct tuner but no tune since it will void my warranty (lame)
jmackinn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Now it is used to stop people, usually just for scoping them out.

BUT, it does have a purpose. Often in videos, the front of a car is seen and the rear not so much. Like big companies, Walmart and Target, often pulling in someone is slow and drives right in the main entrance- great video shot. When they leave it isn't seen, taking another route. Or just driving, it should be visible to see.

OSP has started cracking down on it, I actually got a warning for it once. One local got me for it, and laughed when he realized lol.

Keep in mind LE can usually pull you over for anything. Bracket on your rear plate? Sounds obstructed to me. Something hanging on your mirror? Sounds like something impeding your vision, and distracting you while driving.

Getting pulled over happens. Making it a safe and respectful stop for the officer usually allows them to exercise discretion, and just inform you if corrective action.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I think it just depends on the cop's mood. i know a few people who got the front license plate warning/ticket on top of their speeding ticket. But most cops haven't said anything yet.
Sahelmadani is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
texas