Washing the motor? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Washing the motor?

What is the best way to wash our mustangs motor without damaging it? I have a aftermarket intake, can it get wet? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Lambo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Wrap the alternator and your cone filter in plastic bags with tape so they don't fall off. Make sure your fuse box is shut firmly.

Use a hose and spray everything down well. Then grab something like Simple Green and a sturdy brush. Spray it down and get to scrubbing well.

Let that sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse it well again. Let it drip dry for 10 minutes or so, grab a leaf blower or compressed air and blow out all the water. At that point you can remove the bags and start the engine to warm it up and get rid of the extra water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Wrap the alternator and your cone filter in plastic bags with tape so they don't fall off. Make sure your fuse box is shut firmly.

Use a hose and spray everything down well. Then grab something like Simple Green and a sturdy brush. Spray it down and get to scrubbing well.

Let that sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse it well again. Let it drip dry for 10 minutes or so, grab a leaf blower or compressed air and blow out all the water. At that point you can remove the bags and start the engine to warm it up and get rid of the extra water.

Good tips. Is what you're saying for just the motor or the entire engine bay? If you want to wash everything under the hood, what else do you recommend sealing off?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's for the entire bay and engine. Most everything else is sealed off. Just don't use a pressure washer. It COULD be fine, but it could knock hoses or belts loose, so it's just a better idea to use a normal hose and hand wash.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 09-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What is the best soap or spray, you recommend to clean the motor? And can I let it dry instead of warming up the engine?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Simple Green is what I use, it's a a strong degreaser. It comes in a spray bottle. You can find it just about anywhere.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I cover intake then spray a cool to warm (NOT hot) engine with 30% simple green mix follow with a light rinse and let air dry for 1/2 hr b4 starting. Engines are semi water proof think rain/puddles
Old 09-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I cover intake then spray a cool to warm (NOT hot) engine with 30% simple green mix follow with a light rinse and let air dry for 1/2 hr b4 starting. Engines are semi water proof think rain/puddles
Yeah that's a good tip. Dont do this on a hot engine. The cold water could cause stress cracks, along with steam lol.

I always just wash it on Saturday when my cars been sitting all night.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys. Thank you both very much for the info!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
ttt
Registered Member
Regular

I second that on the Simple Green. It works wonders and leaves a fresh minty smell.

ttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Simple Green has been known to be not so kind to aluminum. If you rinse it off well enough its not that big of a deal.

I personally prefer Gunk brand engine degreaser. The stuff is potent, and gets the job done in fast order. I would only use it for engines that are actually greasy and grimy. If its just dirt, then something like Simple Green, Purple Power, or any of the water diluted varieties would be a better option.

Make sure to protect the paint on the hood and fenders! Most degreasers can stain if they are left to dry on painted surfaces.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang