Procharger psi? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
A bigger turbo is going to be a traction friendly choice here and much like a procharger, you won't see any boost down low. Above 4200+ rpms, it be a whole different animal as we all know. Much better pull than a procharger if i may say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I'm really not sure why people are so fixated on what they say are low trq numbers for the Procharger. Honesty if I was boosted I wouldn't want a whole bunch of trq. You can see with all these custom turbo kit builders they have a hard time with traction from 1st-3rd. I'd rather have lower trq and an easier chance for my tires to lock onto the road.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
A bigger turbo is going to be a traction friendly choice here and much like a procharger, you won't see any boost down low. Above 4200+ rpms, it be a whole different animal as we all know. Much better pull than a procharger if i may say so.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Very true but we don't have 4 cylinder engines that lack power and trq to begin with. We make a god amount of trq to power. It's all a matter of preference. I prefer to have a great street car. Something to take off the line and on the hwy rip past people. I don't want to worry about traction or boost levels or reliability. Now if there were to be a well known company that released a kit with a turbo and it was held down well enough then sure.

Now on what you said about the bigger turbo, you could get a special tune that will allow a higher psi down low than what is in the higher rpms. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T has this. Really smart setup.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Somewhat related to the topic: what would be the maximum psi that can be achieved with a procharger? What type of pull size are we talking about to achieve this?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
i spoke to procharger today and they said to achieve 8-9lbs of boost i would need to goto a 4.25" pulley the stock pulley is a 4.5"

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Good info FastFord. I assume it can go higher than that right?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Now on what you said about the bigger turbo, you could get a special tune that will allow a higher psi down low than what is in the higher rpms. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T has this. Really smart setup.

This isnt really a "special tune," its just the way to tune a stock turbo on 90% of the 4 cylinders out there. These turbos are usually smaller, which means they have blistering low end, but struggle to flow up top. Basically what you do is called the "hairdryer" trick, or the "boost spike" as i'm sure you've all heard it called. You basically ramp the turbo up hard in the mid range for a nice fat torque bump, then basically just ride out the turbo as long as it will go up top.

The powerband this gives you though, is more of a flatlined "plateau instead of a continuously rising hp curve like you get from a larger turbo maintaining boost through the pull.

There are literally infinitely different methods or thoughts on how best to tune a "big turbo," but it really just comes down to a case by case experience of what you're trying to do with the car. An autox tune will be nothing like a drag tune, which is nothing like a street tune ...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I personally would just install the procharger kit if I were to go FI and be done with it. 8 pounds boost with a bunch of bolt on mods easily get ya 450 rwhp with a good quality tune. More than plenty for a street car. The pro charger supercharger is a easy set up and simple. Someone always has bigger and badder. Someone out there will have faster and more money. The HP and torque game is like chasing the end of a rainbow.

Of course I have no intention on spending 6k to set up a super charger system because I have no need for a 450 rwhp set up. My current far smaller 300 rwhp set up does the job just perfect. Car has plenty of power when needing it and sounds great to my ears.

It seems no matter how much HP and torque one has, they always want more. Give me more, buy me more, feed me more, more more more more more. Its never enough. Lol

Sent from my naked Johnson. The third real non Boss 227
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Could always install a torque booster on the Procharger too. Its just a wastegate on the cold side pipe to control boost.

You basically put like a 12+ psi pulley on the supercharger, and put a wastegate on the coldside pipe with a ~10 psi spring or so. What this does is spins the blower harder in the midrange, then the wastegate opens, giving you 10 psi through the whole pull instead of just at redline. Makes a massive difference in the mid range and low end torque.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I personally would just install the procharger kit if I were to go FI and be done with it. 8 pounds boost with a bunch of bolt on mods easily get ya 450 rwhp with a good quality tune. More than plenty for a street car. The pro charger supercharger is a easy set up and simple. Someone always has bigger and badder. Someone out there will have faster and more money. The HP and torque game is like chasing the end of a rainbow.

Of course I have no intention on spending 6k to set up a super charger system because I have no need for a 450 rwhp set up. My current far smaller 300 rwhp set up does the job just perfect. Car has plenty of power when needing it and sounds great to my ears.

It seems no matter how much HP and torque one has, they always want more. Give me more, buy me more, feed me more, more more more more more. Its never enough. Lol

Of course it's never enough! We don't "need" the 300 hp we have. It's not about need. It's about taking your car to a point where no one expected it to be and having fun doing it.

If someone is content with what they have, go right ahead. Your car.

Now I will agree there will always be a faster car. The Street Outlaw boys up here with 2000+ hp cars are some of the fastest around, but I'm sure there's still a few folks somewhere that are even faster.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Of course it's never enough!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
LOL, reminds me of Chaz Michaels from Blades of Glory. " I'm never statified! It's a curse...."
Old 09-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
LOL, reminds me of Chaz Michaels from Blades of Glory. " I'm never statified! It's a curse...."
Its a curse. Lol. So true.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Most people have never driven a high hp car, I've had a few that's why I only want 450rwhp. That's a lot on the street and plenty fast enough for a daily driver. I like the procharger, good hp just not enough torque that's why I was originally looking at running a smaller pulley with a wastegate to get the low end torque up but a turbo system just seems better.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Daveauth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveauth21 View Post
Most people have never driven a high hp car, I've had a few that's why I only want 450rwhp. That's a lot on the street and plenty fast enough for a daily driver. I like the procharger, good hp just not enough torque that's why I was originally looking at running a smaller pulley with a wastegate to get the low end torque up but a turbo system just seems better.

If that's all your looking to do it might be more cost effective and reliable to do the Procharger w/ a wastegate.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I agree I found that 450 can be reached with a smaller pulley but for the price of the procharger kit ,larger injectors,wastegate,piping mods to run wastegate and supporting mods it's cheaper to just purchase a turbo kit and put the spring size you want and tune done.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

You also have to take maintenance into consideration. Procharger requires oil changes every 5-6000 miles and belt replacement ever 10-15000 miles which require the head unit to be removed. Plus smaller pulley equals belt slippage when using a 6 rib pulley. Turbo only requires you to have unit sent in at 30-50000 mile for service. While I don't have much experience with turbos I have previously owned a 98 vortech supercharged maxima,87 Paxton novi mustang notchback,02 vortech mustang gt and a 03 cobra so superchargers are not new to me.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

On a slightly different note, I was at a performance shop to get a quote on how much would it cost me to forge my engine. During our chat we were talking about what would be an ideal street setup, reliability, how far you can push your engine and what not. Well, the guy was telling me that one of the 'reputed' performance shops let get go their 3.7s engine at 480whp on a procharger. Which I assume would be equivalent of 500whp on a turbo, taking into consideration the parasitic loss of former.

But if you're after a linear flow of power, procharger with a waste gate and shorter pulley is definitely going to be your friend. It will feel more torquey down low, as compared to a bigger turbo (traction friendly as I had suggested before) since it will build 1psi of boost every 500 rpms.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveauth21 View Post
You also have to take maintenance into consideration. Procharger requires oil changes every 5-6000 miles and belt replacement ever 10-15000 miles which require the head unit to be removed. Plus smaller pulley equals belt slippage when using a 6 rib pulley. Turbo only requires you to have unit sent in at 30-50000 mile for service.....

I never thought about replacing the belts and oil changes. All my turbo set ups have been directly oil fed from the engines and well, weren't very high maintenance...
Old 09-26-2014, 12:40 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone looked into prochargers new i-series? Can you upgrade your blower from P1 to these bad boys? Check out their video from sema show!

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

I had call procharger a few weeks ago about what was available for our mustangs I was told that they had tunes for 2013 auto and 2014 manuals and the only upgrades they offer was to a d1sc with the tuner kit so no upgrade to the I series.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
i think the different headunits require different brackets thats most likely why

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
On a slightly different note, I was at a performance shop to get a quote on how much would it cost me to forge my engine. During our chat we were talking about what would be an ideal street setup, reliability, how far you can push your engine and what not. Well, the guy was telling me that one of the 'reputed' performance shops let get go their 3.7s engine at 480whp on a procharger. Which I assume would be equivalent of 500whp on a turbo, taking into consideration the parasitic loss of former.

But if you're after a linear flow of power, procharger with a waste gate and shorter pulley is definitely going to be your friend. It will feel more torquey down low, as compared to a bigger turbo (traction friendly as I had suggested before) since it will build 1psi of boost every 500 rpms.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

The only problem i have with "it blew up at 480 whp," is that literally every part of that statement is subjective. Please dont take this as me "shooting the messenger," but let me point a few things out.

1. What rpm was that power made at? 480 whp at 6000 rpms and then a trail off or flat line is a different amount of stress than 480 whp at 7500. Could have been more stress down low that broke it, or over spinning the motor.

2. What exactly broke? Busted piston? Could have been a bad tune. Spun a bearing? Could be rpm related, or unrelated at all. Bent a rod? Too much torque. Ran lean? Also the tune...

3.480 whp on that dyno. It could read incredibly high, or incredibly low, so really its hard to say what that number is in relation to other people.

Basically The nitty gritty with FI on a stock motor is you just dont know. On a motor like the 3.7 you can obviously assume it wont (shouldnt) blow up at 300 whp. 400 is probably still ok, 450 is comfortable, but you just have to assume anything above that you are on some sort of borrowed time. It just is what it is.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The only problem i have with "it blew up at 480 whp," is that literally every part of that statement is subjective. Please dont take this as me "shooting the messenger," but let me point a few things out.

1. What rpm was that power made at? 480 whp at 6000 rpms and then a trail off or flat line is a different amount of stress than 480 whp at 7500. Could have been more stress down low that broke it, or over spinning the motor.

2. What exactly broke? Busted piston? Could have been a bad tune. Spun a bearing? Could be rpm related, or unrelated at all. Bent a rod? Too much torque. Ran lean? Also the tune...

3.480 whp on that dyno. It could read incredibly high, or incredibly low, so really its hard to say what that number is in relation to other people.

Basically The nitty gritty with FI on a stock motor is you just dont know. On a motor like the 3.7 you can obviously assume it wont (shouldnt) blow up at 300 whp. 400 is probably still ok, 450 is comfortable, but you just have to assume anything above that you are on some sort of borrowed time. It just is what it is.
I agree with all this. For a few years I had a turbo (Mitsubishi 14b) on my Hyundai 1.6L engine. People on forums kept saying it could only handle 200 crank on stock internals or would blow at anything over 6 psi. Well I got it to just over 155 whp and 9 psi running it to red line at least 2x a day.

So to say that even 450rwhp is too much for the 3.7 is still unknown. Bottom line: If you are having doubts or are too unsure, just don't push it. We know the Prochargers work well and haven't had any problems with reliability....yet...so stick with whatever you feel comfortable with.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

I will answer one of my own questions. The packing list on a procharger tuner kit states that the drive pulley is a 3.85 pulley, which is a 8 psi pulley according to what I found on the internet.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Somewhat related to the topic: what would be the MAXIMUM psi that can be achieved with a procharger? What type of pully size are we talking about to achieve this?

Old 10-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaighost View Post
Somewhat related to the topic: what would be the MAXIMUM psi that can be achieved with a procharger? What type of pully size are we talking about to achieve this?

What head unit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Here you go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1413649871175.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	168043  
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

A 8 rib pulley and custom crank pulley would be needed to see anything over 15psi without major belt slippage

Old 10-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

I know an i1 procharger wouldn't work/replace P1 on a 3.7 due to mounting brackets and stuff? I have always wondered if it is something that can be made to work with minor fab? Do its inlets/outlets differ from piping that comes with a standard v6 kit?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think it would fit mounted on the front of the engine, as it is space is limited with a P/d head unit. Just from pictures I've seen of the i1 it looks like a smaller head unit with a much larger bracket and that built on blower tranny

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang