Procharger psi? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Procharger psi?

I've been researching the procharger kit for the 3.7 and I can't figure out what the base psi is. Procharger states 8psi but I noticed that most installed kits only put out around 6-7 psi. Is it just the aftermarket exhaust that's dropping the psi or did procharger change pulley size? Also what size pulley does the procharger come with?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Daveauth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The kit for the V8 stg 2 was advertised 7+ psi. I only saw 6 psi with mine. I have stock exhaust and everything.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I should have mentioned I'm talking about the kit for the 3.7 mustang not the v8 but thanks anyway

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveauth21 View Post
I should have mentioned I'm talking about the kit for the 3.7 mustang not the v8 but thanks anyway

Yeah I know that's why I stated for the v8. I think they overrate their boost on their kits. I was just sharing my experience.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out if a pulley swap is needed to get that 8psi. My goal is to hit 440-450rwhp on dyno with a procharger or LPF turbo kit just without headers

Old 09-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
6lbs you'll need a pulley swap to get those numbers.

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Thanks, I'm trying to figure out if a pulley swap is needed to get that 8psi. My goal is to hit 440-450rwhp on dyno with a procharger or LPF turbo kit just without headers

I saw a thread of another forum where a procharger on base tune was dyno'd at 400/300 with basic bolt ons. I'm guessing it's at 7 psi (give or take). At the end of the day, that's like what ~60 units of torque over stock for $6k? (I'm not sure how much torque is gained under the curve). You will be much happier going with a turbo, ~450/400 at less than 10 psi. Given you have a good tune, and a consistent/reliable dyno.
Just my 2 cents.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I saw a thread of another forum where a procharger on base tune was dyno'd at 400/300 with basic bolt ons. I'm guessing it's at 7 psi (give or take). At the end of the day, that's like what ~60 units of torque over stock for $6k? (I'm not sure how much torque is gained under the curve). You will be much happier going with a turbo, ~450/400 at less than 10 psi. Given you have a good tune, and a consistent/reliable dyno.
Just my 2 cents.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

how reliable is that though??? every turbo 3.7 i've seen with a stock motor has blown, kerdogg, solobusa,jimc, i'm sure someone with an LPF kit will chime in but those cars havent really been running around on a stock motor too long.

and with my procharger i made 406rwhp and 336rwtq...

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
Old 09-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
how reliable is that though??? every turbo 3.7 i've seen with a stock motor has blown, kerdogg, solobusa,jimc, i'm sure someone with an LPF kit will chime in but those cars havent really been running around on a stock motor too long.

and with my procharger i made 406rwhp and 336rwtq...
I believe key point here would be 'circumstances/load' under which those engines were blown. I remember solobusa let his engine go around 515 while going TT route? I'm not too sure about his final numbers but again, if you push a procharger to let's say 15-20 psi of boost (if it's possible) where it is capable of making similar numbers to that of above mentioned turbo setups - I don't see anything else but kaboom!

Granted we don't have a proven turbo kit for your sixers out there yet, but I'm speaking from a theoretical point of view. Keeping boost and everything else the same, a turbo will yield better numbers in my opinion.. in general. It won't have a steady/flat torque graph like a SC; I'm sure its something that can be worked around with a tune.

Now again, I'm not saying turbo setup is best option out there. It all depends on what the person wants to do with it, what is his taste is like and what are his goals from a FI setup. It remains to be seen what LPF kit is capable of in the long run.

Ps: great numbers you've got there with your procharger! I've read your build thread on another forum.. job well done!

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The biggest thing that keeps me in the turbo camp is that atrocious torque number from the procharger vs the turbo, granted I'd really need to see the power curve for both for a fair comparison.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Procharger psi?

So it looks like 6psi with base pulley does anyone know what size that pulley is? I keep reading that 450rwhp is the sweet spot on these 3.7s and I don't want too push the motor to hard. Wouldn't push 10psi be too much for the stock bottom end?

Old 09-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So it looks like 6psi with base pulley does anyone know what size that pulley is? I keep reading that 450rwhp is the sweet spot on these 3.7s and I don't want too push the motor to hard. Wouldn't push 10psi be too much for the stock bottom end?

you gotta remember motors dont let go at a certian horsepower number there is a lot of other factors that contribute to motor failure.. i will have to look at my procharger booklet to see what pulley is provided

Old 09-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
The biggest thing that keeps me in the turbo camp is that atrocious torque number from the procharger vs the turbo, granted I'd really need to see the power curve for both for a fair comparison.

one thing to keep in mind with these single turbo kits is emissions they get rid of the catalitic converters..

i'm not knocking the lpf turbo kit by any means they are definately great if you wanna make a lot of power but i'm gonna sit back and see how the LPF cars are doing in the future.. i think it takes a lot of R&D and good tuning with forced induction thats why CFM hasnt released there kit and thats why the single hellion kits have been dicontinued. if you followed my build you know that i originally started with the hellion kit and switched over to the procharger

Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
one thing to keep in mind with these single turbo kits is emissions they get rid of the catalitic converters..

i'm not knocking the lpf turbo kit by any means they are definately great if you wanna make a lot of power but i'm gonna sit back and see how the LPF cars are doing in the future.. i think it takes a lot of R&D and good tuning with forced induction thats why CFM hasnt released there kit and thats why the single hellion kits have been dicontinued. if you followed my build you know that i originally started with the hellion kit and switched over to the procharger
Do you have a link to your build thread?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

2011FASTFORD: PROJECT CODE RED - Members Projects - FastFordMuscle.com

i have one on here to but i dont go into it as much

Old 09-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I have read your build thread it looks like your break just over 400rwhp but you have headers and a ported intake manifold. I only have 73mm throttle body and a o/r x pipe but I am a manual so I think with a little more boost on my set up I can make the power I want without installing headers. I would be happy at 430rwhp without headers, do you think it's possible?

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure it's possible but the stock exhaust is pretty restrictive for boost.. 2.25 inch piping

Old 09-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

So I need to ditch my axle back and get a catback I would rather not change my headers unless it absolutely is necessary. I have a x pipe and resonators welded in with a Roush axle back and I already attract to much attention. Headers would get me some tickets

Old 09-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I would go with shorties, then the procharger and see where you are at. Then look at changing the catback to a larger diameter if you're not around where you want to be.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post

For a fair comparrision, you want both a procharged and turbo car to run on the dyno on the same day

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Well for some people that may obviously be an issue. But thankfully in my state we aren't tested so I can happily do just about whatever. Obviously I can still get cited if I piss off a cop well enough to make him inspect the vehicle, but around here that's very rare.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Same here no inspection but they will bust you if your exhaust is blasting to loud

Old 09-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ13GT View Post
The kit for the V8 stg 2 was advertised 7+ psi. I only saw 6 psi with mine. I have stock exhaust and everything.
You have a Procharger? Are you happy...thinking of getting one

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #25

Region: Pennsylvania
Same here... But im a newbie to car mods. How does the procharger change the life expectancy of the other parts? In other words, what else should I expect to save up for? Thanks for the education!
Tac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

From what I found supercharger oil change every 5k and belt change around 10-15k

Old 09-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

It's a good kit that makes good power just has a few turn offs. When belts break they sometimes damage the front seal of the blower, then when it's time to change the belt the head unit need removal for belt installation.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a good kit that makes good power just has a few turn offs. When belts break they sometimes damage the front seal of the blower, then when it's time to change the belt the head unit need removal for belt installation.

Do you have any numbers? And any extra mods?..

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have a procharger I was just researching it before I decided to get a turbo kit instead. The number I found looks like low 400rwhp and around 330rwlb-ft with stock car stock pulley. It seems that a full exhaust and a pulley swap to 10psi yields 440-460rwhp. Should be a good mid 12 second car with stock pulley though if you can find traction.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't have a procharger I was just researching it before I decided to get a turbo kit instead. The number I found looks like low 400rwhp and around 330rwlb-ft with stock car stock pulley. It seems that a full exhaust and a pulley swap to 10psi yields 440-460rwhp. Should be a good mid 12 second car with stock pulley though if you can find traction.

What turbo? I'm not sure what I want do

Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Look at the LPF turbo 3.7 thread all the info you need is there.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'm really not sure why people are so fixated on what they say are low trq numbers for the Procharger. Honesty if I was boosted I wouldn't want a whole bunch of trq. You can see with all these custom turbo kit builders they have a hard time with traction from 1st-3rd. I'd rather have lower trq and an easier chance for my tires to lock onto the road.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #33
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I'm really not sure why people are so fixated on what they say are low trq numbers for the Procharger. Honesty if I was boosted I wouldn't want a whole bunch of trq. You can see with all these custom turbo kit builders they have a hard time with traction from 1st-3rd. I'd rather have lower trq and an easier chance for my tires to lock onto the road.
Better suspension and tires will fix that right up.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Better suspension and tires will fix that right up.
^ This.

Yeah, We all want to go fast... But it's best to upgrade the rest of the stuff BEFORE you do that, So that you don't run into this problem.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I think a couple of them have all ready done so and still have issues. Hell my Dad's 07 Super Snake had issues in the same gears and he had a fully built suspension with wheels and tires. There's just a point on these car i think where it just doesn't matter people are going to want their cake and eat it too. More power to those doing these custom builds. It's awesome.

I know there are a lot of people out there like me who love modding their car but there's a certain point where they just won't cross and I think that being able to install a tried and true Procharger and gain over 100 hp to the wheels is more than enough for most.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang