2013 V6 Premium Auto with 3.73 getting atrociously low MPG? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2013 V6 Premium Auto with 3.73 getting atrociously low MPG?

2013 V6 Premium, automatic transmission, Steeda CAI & Steeda 93 Octane tune, 3.73 gear. Had all the mods done last week (CAI & Tune on Wednesday, then had the 2.73 gear replaced with the 3.73 on Friday and updated the tune). I am getting a tragic 19 mpg combined right now. My highway speed is 75-80 MPH most of the time that I'm on the highway. Right now when I get on the highway and get to 75 MPH and then reset my MPG on the dash, I'm getting about 21.0 mpg, that is horrid. My city MPG seems to actually be around 19 mpg, maybe a little less (18.xx if I have fun with the gas and upshift around 2500-3200 rpm). Now, here's the important part. When my car was still stock (no cai, no tune, and still 2.73 gear) I was averaging 20-21 mpg. On the highway going at around 75 MPH I was still only getting 23-25 MPG I think. So...so far the combined MPG only dropped by about 1.5 MPG, but is something just wrong with my car overall? Almost everyone I see on forums always had multiple mpg better than me, even with very liberal driving (before last week I practically drove conservatively for a whole year. Driving through the city I was light on the gas so the car almost always upshifted before 2k rpm).
I live in southeast Texas, it's hot here most of the time and extremely humid. 98% humidity is pretty damn normal around here. Is my location enough to make my MPG suffer that much? (Separate topic but, my 0-60 times suck *** as well when compared to other people with the same car). Tough for me to tell but I'd say 60% city driving (with top speed of 40 mph most of the time) and 40% Highway driving (75-80mph). I mean...for God's sake there are people with GT who drives aggressively who still claims to be around the 23 mpg combined average range.

Anyone with knowledge/experience please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
--------------------------------------
2013 V6 Premium Automatic Transmission. Steeda CAI & Steeda 93 Octane Tune. 3.73 Gear
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I live in South Louisiana so I feel your pain with the heat and terrible humidity(it stays over 70%nearly all year)
My current city mpg is around 11mpg but I only drive around 7 miles a day in city driving under 45mph with lots of lights. Before my gear change to 3.73s at most I saw 14mpg in city and 25mpg highway, so don't feel too bad I'm in the same boat.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Daveauth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Warm air is better for fuel economy than cold.

One big issue is your lack of precision. If your car was reading low on the stock gear, and running high now, that gap could be way different.

Plus, you're going off the computer, not tank to tank or having specific spots and methods to track.

As long as you've gone 50+ miles since the tune, I would advise filling your tank, checking your tire pressure, and driving one way for the tank. See what your REAL mileage is.

No criticism towards you, you didn't buy the car for FE- but if you don't have good data to compare, you're kind of SOL. I mean, if I took a picture of a grape out of focus it could look the size of an orange- without knowing the whole story, it's hard to judge.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

*pull a set route before you fill up, google map it, and find the distance. Drive that exactly, and compare it- so you know how off it is. Longer is better- driving one mile at 9% off may register to our cars as 1 mile, VS driving 10 miles, and seeing the difference.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The very first thing you need to do:::

Fill it up,Writing down your mileage. """NOT """ the Gallons it took.

Drive until almost empty and fill it up again and Write down the gallons it took

Do at least three tankful's of gas writing down the gallons at each fill.

At the fourth and last fill up write down the gallons and add them up with the others. Write down the Miles you went from the start.

You started out with a full tank and your ending with a full tank. Now you can divide how many gallons you actually used to go all of those miles and will have more accurate information on exactly what your true miles per gallon is.

This does take time and patients but there is no other way to find your true average.
That thing on your dash is a big liar and the truth ain't in it.

I just did it on my trip and got this.

As you can see, You really don't get the same MPG on every tankfull.
My gauge on the dash never said I was getting over 27 MPG. I call it a liar.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Some real serious people on my FE forum will only use one pump, at one station (within reason)*. It's important to use the same method each time. For example, I let it go on auto on the slowest setting until it clicks (auto stop). This let's it always fill to the same point, by using the auto stop. Fuel vaporizes less the slower it travels, so high speed is a no no for me. Also, fuel is more dense at night (colder), so try to fill up around the same temp if you can. IE, fill up before work instead of on lunch, and it should be cooler.

*I only use one pump (unless traveling, obviously)- but that's because it's the only non marina ethanol free pump within a half hour drive.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
When your engine has to turn the drive shaft 3.73 times to turn your wheel one revolution, as opposed to turning your drive shaft 2.73 times to turn your wheel one revolution, it is going to take more gas to drive the same speed. How much your MPG will go down, I don't know, but it will go down. You have to choose what you want, performance, or MPG.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveauth21 View Post
I live in South Louisiana so I feel your pain with the heat and terrible humidity(it stays over 70%nearly all year)
My current city mpg is around 11mpg but I only drive around 7 miles a day in city driving under 45mph with lots of lights. Before my gear change to 3.73s at most I saw 14mpg in city and 25mpg highway, so don't feel too bad I'm in the same boat.

Is yours a V6 also?
Khanh4o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
My average is 14-16mpg city driving in Boston. Never ever seen 17mpg not even 16.1mpg and I am not driving in a spirited way. Some fast accelerations till the speed limit from the lights but thats it. By the way mine is also automatic.
dibstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
"highway speed is 75-80 MPH most of the time that I'm on the highway. Right now when I get on the highway and get to 75 MPH and then reset my MPG on the dash, I'm getting about 21.0 mpg, that is horrid."

Didn't feel the need to quote your whole statement but from the above information that sounds about right. Once you get in the 75-80 range MPG drops. On my car at similar speeds with 2.73's I was getting 25-27 so its not hard to believe that with 3.73's your getting 19-21.

I've always said that when people list their highway MPGs that isn't enough. You really need to know how fast their going. Highway speeds can range from 50-80 depending on what highway your on. If I go ~60 MPH my car gets 34-36 MPG but if I go ~80 its in the 25-27 range. That is a huge difference and the main reason I refuse to put gears in my car since I bought it for the combination of the power and highway MPG. The people with GT's claiming better MPG's are probable going in the 60-65 MPH range on the highway opposed to 80.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
"highway speed is 75-80 MPH most of the time that I'm on the highway. Right now when I get on the highway and get to 75 MPH and then reset my MPG on the dash, I'm getting about 21.0 mpg, that is horrid."

Didn't feel the need to quote your whole statement but from the above information that sounds about right. Once you get in the 75-80 range MPG drops. On my car at similar speeds with 2.73's I was getting 25-27 so its not hard to believe that with 3.73's your getting 19-21.

I've always said that when people list their highway MPGs that isn't enough. You really need to know how fast their going. Highway speeds can range from 50-80 depending on what highway your on. If I go ~60 MPH my car gets 34-36 MPG but if I go ~80 its in the 25-27 range. That is a huge difference and the main reason I refuse to put gears in my car since I bought it for the combination of the power and highway MPG. The people with GT's claiming better MPG's are probable going in the 60-65 MPH range on the highway opposed to 80.

Makes sense. Thanks for the response. I feel better.

2013 V6 Premium Automatic Transmission. Steeda CAI & Steeda 93 Octane Tune. 3.73 Gear
Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Did you see my thread called My Night at the Track? I ran against a 5.0 fox body with 3.73 gears in my untuned V6 convertible with 2.73. I think we ran three times. He beat me anywhere from 1 to 3 car lengths, and he seemed to gain the most around early to mid track. He certainly didn't run away from me.

GrabberMeBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Did you see my thread called My Night at the Track? I ran against a 5.0 fox body with 3.73 gears in my untuned V6 convertible with 2.73. I think we ran three times. He beat me anywhere from 1 to 3 car lengths, and he seemed to gain the most around early to mid track. He certainly didn't run away from me.

I didn't, I'll have to go look! I'm assuming quarter mile? I have zero experience when it comes to competition. In that kind of run, about how much of a time difference is 1-3 car lengths?
Or better, about how many car lengths is a 0.10 (one-tenth) second difference?

Old 09-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
2013 V6 Premium Auto with 3.73 getting atrociously low MPG?

It was 1/4 mile. The last race he beat me by 3/10s. I was watching him, and he was about one length in front of me. The last video in that thread shows that particular race. Notice how quick each of the timing lights flash together. That shows how close we were at the end.

I would say 1/10th could be about a fender to 1/2 a car.

The thread is in the At the Track area of the forum.

GrabberMeBlue is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang