Wanna Change gears in your rear???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Wanna Change gears in your rear????

Check out this video:

Looks pretty easy if you have all the proper tools.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

And a lift

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
And one wrong step you waste the entire gearing.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

This is not for the novice.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
And one wrong step you waste the entire gearing.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Yeah, I'll set my pride aside and let someone with experience tackle this one lol. Actually have an appointment for Tuesday for mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Yeah, I'll set my pride aside and let someone with experience tackle this one lol. Actually have an appointment for Tuesday for mine.

Good idea, what are you going with?

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Good idea, what are you going with?

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
3.73s, rebuild kit, Steeda diff cover and traction LOK clutch pack discs

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 09-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
What about the pinion bearing or whatever its called?
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaRedSixxer View Post
What about the pinion bearing or whatever its called?
Yep, You need a new pinion bearing. I bought it and took it to my mechanic, He said once you remove the bearing, It's unusable, So I'd definitely get a new one =P

http://www.americanmuscle.com/88-gea...mbly-2010.html
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure why he would tell you that, I have a 13 like you and had 12k when I had my gear and pinion done by a reputable shop called mustang direct that only works on mustangs. They said the car was still new and wasn't necessary to replace anything more than the gear and pinion but it was my choice if I wanted to replace everything. They do gears almost daily. Almost 8k, quiet as stock. If my car was 3 years old+ or had high milage I would have replaced everything.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Not sure why he would tell you that, I have a 13 like you and had 12k when I had my gear and pinion done by a reputable shop called mustang direct that only works on mustangs. They said the car was still new and wasn't necessary to replace anything more than the gear and pinion but it was my choice if I wanted to replace everything. They do gears almost daily. Almost 8k, quiet as stock. If my car was 3 years old+ or had high milage I would have replaced everything.

Maybe they have a magical press that removes the bearing with no issues at all at an 100% success rate.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
Maybe they have a magical press that removes the bearing with no issues at all at an 100% success rate.
Lol, no just very experienced. That's why its VERY important to go to a reputable gear shop. Things don't always go 100% of the time in any job, and in some instances its necessary to replace because of age, wear and tear, but for a mechanic to tell you its useless before he even takes it off on a 13!?.. There have been many that have done just gears and pinion and many that have done the whole kit, but if your mechanic doesn't destroy it while taking it off and its less then 2 years old with relatively low and not track miles on it it should be just fine. The shop I used isn't the only one with a magical press lol. If I had something older with more wear and tear on it for sure I'd do everything, bearing included.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm doing everything for that reason. 60k miles and a diff bearing seal is starting to go, so may as well rebuild the whole shabang.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
I'm doing everything for that reason. 60k miles and a diff bearing seal is starting to go, so may as well rebuild the whole shabang.

Are you replacing the differential as well?

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaRedSixxer View Post
Are you replacing the differential as well?

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I was thinking about it, but after some research I found that it really wouldn't be worth it since the stock one is already an LSD. Just need to upgrade the components.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1, IMO at 60k+ is when it should get done while everything is out.

On the other hand a year old car with only 10-12k on it would be like replacing new parts with new parts.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Just changed our 73 Nova rear end to 3.73 gears. The process is about the same for the Ford 8.8 inch rear end. The video kind of over simplified things. The pinion will not fall out like that. It will take some force to get it out. Also crush sleeve will take a great amount of force to get preload set on the pinion so much so, I used a Ratech smart crush sleeve it sure makes the job easier and only takes about 120 ft. pounds of force vs 300 plus foot pounds of force for the steel crush sleeve. Also to properly set pinion depth it did not show the steps for that. .001 inches in shims can make a big difference. We use bearings that we could slide on to mock everything up for the pinion depth. You want to have it right once you press that pinion bearing on ! The do make a tool that can remove the pinion bearing without damage but will add to your self install price. New bearing is cheaper than the tool. Anyway it can be done but it not as easy as the video makes it out to be. It will take multiple times to install and take measurements and using the grease to pattern the gears to get things set correctly.
jh1hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang