Raxiom HID Headlight Debacle FINISHED - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Raxiom HID Headlight Debacle FINISHED

So as many of you remember I had the HID Raxiom chrome projectors, but didn't have factory HID lighting.
Well, I finally sold them. Thank God. I even made a profit then what I paid for them.
I was going to let them go for $100, since I couldn't get rid of them, but someone who saw an old Instagram ad post offered me $200 a few weeks ago for them. Every Friday when they were supposed to pay they would have a new excuse. Oh, I had surprise bills pop up, Oh I forgot sorry, and saying please hold them I really want them I will pay next Friday I promise.
Well, this Friday they actually paid!
Some nice mod money added to the bank!
I'm gonna be waiting a bit for my next mod, I really piled it on this summer.... Kind of took away some of the fun putting something new on every week, some 2 a week.

Since June I purchased:
Raxiom Projector head lights (just resold)
SCT x3 tuner (resold)
GT/CS pre-painted spoiler
SCT x4 tuner with Bama tunes
MPT tune
Airaid CAI
Trufiber decklid panel
New vinyl hood stripes
BMR adj. panhard bar
SR performance lowering springs
SR performance center caps
Eibach camber bolts
SR performance strut tower brace in black
Pre-painted mirror covers
Borla ATAK axleback exhaust
Ford racing x-pipe
BBK ceramic shorty headers (waiting to be installed)
Raxiom License plate LED kit
Hawk HPS brake pads
and a few other things I'm forgetting

Not bad for 3 months lol.

Now I am deciding between saving all my $ for a turbo or procharger kit,
$6,000
or
waiting until spring and getting a full front-end conversion to a GT bumper, GT/CS lower valance with fogs, and a Saleen upper grill, with Roush sidesplitters painted GB, with a Roush rear valance painted GB.
$1,600

Opinions?
I am a college student with a girlfriend so the little money I can spare all goes to car parts. If I really save I can get the PC/turbo set up in a year, probably the end of next summer. If I get hired by the PD before that I can get both .
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Dude, congrats! You need to throw a party now loool

On a more serious note, I'd suggest go FI if you have enough savings (after taking care of college funds). I am more than certain we will have a couple more turbo kits out for our sixers by that time. I remember you said you do plastidip cars/parts on the side right, maybe do some local marketing for it to get more customers and make some extra cash towards your savings. In case something unexpected comes along your way.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Dude, congrats! You need to throw a party now loool

On a more serious note, I'd suggest go FI if you have enough savings (after taking care of college funds). I am more than certain we will have a couple more turbo kits out for our sixers by that time. I remember you said you do plastidip cars/parts on the side right, maybe do some local marketing for it to get more customers and make some extra cash towards your savings. In case something unexpected comes along your way.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Yeah I do that which equates to about $200 a month on the side. I make $140 a week working (Barely any hours free fml). That's $760 a month.... gas (I commute to school), random expenses, GF etc. take away probably $500 of that. So that's around $250 a month I can stash away. I've got around $300 in my mod money stash, plus $200 from the Raxiom's, so that's $500.
9 x 250 = $2250 I can save up from now until May. $500 in my stash already. $2750. I can deff. make the rest of the money next summer, so worst case scenario I can have boost by the end of next summer. Best case I get hired by the PD before that and can have it in time for the AM show.
I'll have to add new tires to the budget too....
But less than a year from now I could have boost, and then worry about finishing the looks? It's gonna be hard to not touch my car for that long lol.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Yeah I do that which equates to about $200 a month on the side. I make $140 a week working (Barely any hours free fml). That's $760 a month.... gas (I commute to school), random expenses, GF etc. take away probably $500 of that. So that's around $250 a month I can stash away. I've got around $300 in my mod money stash, plus $200 from the Raxiom's, so that's $500.
9 x 250 = $2250 I can save up from now until May. $500 in my stash already. $2750. I can deff. make the rest of the money next summer, so worst case scenario I can have boost by the end of next summer. Best case I get hired by the PD before that and can have it in time for the AM show.
I'll have to add new tires to the budget too....
But less than a year from now I could have boost, and then worry about finishing the looks? It's gonna be hard to not touch my car for that long lol.
As you already know, modding your car is a sick addiction. I didn't touch my car (besides getting a CAI and short shifter) up until this summer since I was wanting to upgrade to a GT. I went to dealership to get my car appraised, turns out I'm gonna be losing lots of money on it. Now that I know I'm gonna be keeping my six for a good time, modding has begun loll suspension parts are first.
You have a good chunk planned already. Are you planning on trading your hood for a GT one? I ask cuz imo, sell yours and a buy a pre painted hood (which one is entirely up to you). It would look better, appearance wise. And maybe get starkeys fog lights for your bumper, to go with a chin spoiler.

Use this extra cash (leftover from your $1600 budget) towards tires, and other mods to support FI. This is just my opinion.

I'm going to get my tax returns back pretty soon. I worked like a mad horse last year.. meaning tons of taxes that I had to pay here in Canada, but I have unused tuition tax credits. Meaning ima get all of my federal tax money back - enough to get my car turboed No my parents are not going to know anything about it haha

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I would do the front end conversion. I'm not a huge fan of FI for a daily driver. I have some friends who did aftermarket supercharges or turbos and I seen them have a bunch of problems. Do the front end conversion and buy yourself a nice set of tires and wheels.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Well, I'm about to get another money pit AKA girlfriend. Really what I want isn't much, just the FRPP handling package, and the FRPP tune, which won't happen, as my parents want to keep the full PT warranty.

I'd do the Front end conversion I'd I were you.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Or should I just trade in for a GT.... Ill have the $ in a year... Idk ! I'll worry about that when I have the time and the $ lol.

Maybe I will go front end convetsion, New wheels and tires, and nitrous!?!? Can get all that for the price of turbo/pc

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Or should I just trade in for a GT.... Ill have the $ in a year... Idk ! I'll worry about that when I have the time and the $ lol.

Maybe I will go front end convetsion, New wheels and tires, and nitrous!?!? Can get all that for the price of turbo/pc

If your prepared for the depreciation hit. Also, see what they would value it at, and then see what people would pay for a private sale.

If you trade it in, sell the upgrades that you can, and put as much stock parts back on.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
If your prepared for the depreciation hit. Also, see what they would value it at, and then see what people would pay for a private sale.

If you trade it in, sell the upgrades that you can, and put as much stock parts back on.
Yeah it's just so much work.... I love my car, I just wish I had gotten leather seats. I can just throw some Recaro's in though. Who knows, I can just turbo my 6 in a few years and then get a Subie WRX STI for my daily when I need a family car lol.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The GT is nice, but I'd say just keep your V6 bro, the amount of work you have put into it, vs buying the GT, and re doing the work, it's not worth it.

Just do the Front end conversion, and down the road, go FI, or coyote swap and FI (;
Old 09-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My six costed me 32K (without taxes) last year.. wish I had waited 2 more months, $5750 in rebates! Dealership appraised it at 21k last month, and Id still owe 4k to my bank. Price of bone stock base model GT with all rebates - $34250 + taxes. An easy $14k hit in my car.

Nitrous wouldn't be a bad idea at all if you go with everything you need for a safe setup + progressive shot controller. Stock car, with a beast inside the hood when need be. Just be prepared to get that Nitrous cylinder filled quite a bit often haha

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Instead of trading it in just put a 5.0 in it. Some one on FB is/was selling one with 30000 miles on it for 3800.00
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Coyote swap that b*tch
Old 09-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

^^ you guys are fcukin awesome!! Loll thanks for idea though. All night research is on!

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I would have to pay a crap ton for labor Prob end up being more than just trading in for a GT or a turbo for the 6 easily.....
Old 09-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would have to pay a crap ton for labor Prob end up being more than just trading in for a GT or a turbo for the 6 easily.....
Just save up for FI and get the front end conversion. I'd go with a procharger instead of a turbo for a DD.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Just save up for FI and get the front end conversion. I'd go with a procharger instead of a turbo for a DD.
Yeah I'm really leaning towards the PC .... tested, proven, and reliable. If I'm making 400/330 to the wheels I will be happy.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm actually curious how much the labor would be to swap these engine out?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I'm actually curious how much the labor would be to swap these engine out?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Not as simple as swapping in the motor and calling it good.

Need a new wiring harness, new driveshaft, new exhaust components, transmission should be fine but you may need to alter a couple pieces. Not to mention a new ECU, that's just what comes to mind. I'm sure there's more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'm guessing upwards of $3,000 in labor

Old 09-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Not as simple as swapping in the motor and calling it good.

Need a new wiring harness, new driveshaft, new exhaust components, transmission should be fine but you may need to alter a couple pieces. Not to mention a new ECU, that's just what comes to mind. I'm sure there's more.

Agreed. The control pack alone is $1500 new, plus $500-700 for take off exhaust + drive shift and bunch of other little things. So my guess it be $2.5K give or take for supporting parts. And of course the labor to do engine swap and get everything running.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If ur going to pay that much to swap motors I'd put something better lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I am certainly not going to buy a new engine IF i went this route lol I still have figure tons of things out. Depends if the person selling this 5.0 is willing to provide ECM and bunch of other things with his engine. And for how much. Then adding to that the labor, man its a long way loll too many complicated options in my mind haha

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
If you were to spend that kind of cash, swap in a 5.8 Trinity haha

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
If you were to spend that kind of cash, swap in a 5.8 Trinity haha

I like how you think
Old 09-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

If only I could find a trinity for sale man, most new ones that I see are from $16K built lol

But just for the sake of argument and people please don't hate on me, a 6.2L LS3 376 did cross my mind for a sec. A complete engine (with ecu and wiring) for under $6800. Wish I had a second car (and winning ticket to a lottery) I could dump this 480HP and 475 lb/ft bad boy into lol

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ps: grabber, sorry for jacking your thread bro.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

No worries man! It's all relevant info. !
Old 09-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

How about the 5.4 out of a ford GT?
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

^^ Too much $$$ my man, you're basically going to pay for the name 'ford gt' engine. When supercharged, it was putting out 550hp I guess, N/A output would be even less than a coyote imo.

I typed for a big arse msg for 45 mins last night on my phone and it didn't even post. I'm gonna go on my laptop and write it again.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

A big *** message? I didn't know messages had an ***
Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats on finally getting rid of those stupid headlights, Grabber! Let this be a lesson for all of us to do a lot of research before buying mods. It's easy to get hooked on the drug and make whimsical purchases. In your defense, that Raxiom halos thing is confusing as heck, and I had a really hard time getting a straight answer even from Dan Bailer when I asked about them.

If I were you I'd go with the front end conversion for now. Reason being, I bet you LPF will get their kit to be even more B.A. in a year or so. Right now it's essentially a prototype, only two in the field. But it's impressive and promising. After they sell dozens more to the guinea pigs, they'll get good feedback on improving the system and it'll be more tested and reliable. That's when I'll be going for it!

Also, your front end conversion plan is excellent. The couple pics I've seen of people doing that are beautiful. It's the best Mustang front end, in my opinion.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang