Speedo recalibrated after installing 3.55 or 3.73 gears WITHOUT an aftermarket tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Speedo recalibrated after installing 3.55 or 3.73 gears WITHOUT an aftermarket tuner

Can the speedo be recalibrated/corrected after installing 3.55 or 3.73 gears *without using an aftermarket tuner*??

Our V6 cars can be recalibrated thru the onboard computer at a Ford dealer to a 3.31, but do not have the calibration parameters in the computer to go to 3.55 or 3.73.

Has anyone here found a way to recalibrate the speedo without using an aftermarket tuner??

GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Speedo adjuster, but that's probably not going to save you much off of a tuner and probably isn't what you mean. Short of changing your wheel size, you're SoL.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The dealer can tinker with your wheel size as Force said and get it close, but if you're getting gears, just get a tuner. It will make your life so much easier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

And better. If your car is an Auto, your entire shift schedule will be all out of whack since all the tables use an RPM x Load grid. A standard can probably get by without a "real tune", but no way in an auto.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
OP are you trying to save money or your warranty?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fission View Post

OP are you trying to save money or your warranty?

Trying to save the warranty.

(I do not want to use an aftermarket tuner to correct the speedo, because the use of an aftermarket tuner could give Ford an excuse to deny warranty claims.)

This car is a 6 speed manual shift, so no worries that the automatic cars would have.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post

Speedo adjuster, but that's probably not going to save you much off of a tuner and probably isn't what you mean. Short of changing your wheel size, you're SoL.

Who makes a "Speedo adjuster"? Who sells them?

Please post a link to where they can be purchased.

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:26 AM   #8
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Here's one: Speedometer Recalibrator. The problem with you wanting to retain your warranty is that the speedo calibrators still adjust parameter in your car's ECU. Not as many as a performance tune, just ones needed to adjust the speedometer, but it'll still leave a time stamp on the ECU which Ford could interpret as "tampering" with the programming. Not to mention the cost of the calibrator is outrageous lol.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You may as well just get the tuner now !!!!

When you changed the gears you already may or may not have voided your drive train warranty. It would depend if changing the gears caused a problem. Just get a tuner and if you do go to your dealer for anything at all just put the stock tune back in. Not because of Warranty Worry but if they need to hook the car up to their computer to check something it may not function for them. Also they may want to update your computer for some emission stuff or something.

My mechanic at my dealer told me they could care less about a tune but having the tune in and they have to diagnose something it causes wasted time and sometimes causes problems. If a car comes in with the stock tune there is never a problem.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
When you changed the gears you already may or may not have voided your drive train warranty. It would depend if changing the gears caused a problem. Just get a tuner and if you do go to your dealer for anything at all just put the stock tune back in. Not because of Warranty Worry but if they need to hook the car up to their computer to check something it may not function for them. Also they may want to update your computer for some emission stuff or something.

My mechanic at my dealer told me they could care less about a tune but having the tune in and they have to diagnose something it causes wasted time and sometimes causes problems. If a car comes in with the stock tune there is never a problem.

Ronnie
Exactly. Unless you make a large warranty claim that would involve something changed frombthe tune or really piss someone off, as long as they can get the diagnostics off the car without issues from the tune, they don't care.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Like Willie said to me.

The Mechanics are not computer wiz-kids and all they know how to do is plug the diagnostic machine into a customers car. They push a few buttons and the diagnostic computer tells them whats wrong.
If they can't do that, it s a huge problem. It wastes time and makes it easy to just tell a customer the warranty is puked and not any good anymore.

We were talking when I got my oil changed and I asked about what happens if I want to tune my car. He then filled me in on the reasons the dealers don't like tunes.
Ronnie

PS: He did also tell me he is happy he retired from being a mechanic to just changing oil and rotating tires now. He was a FORD mechanic for 30 years.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

No tuner for me.

The concern is if there is a catastrophic failure (engine or transmission) they would analyze the computer to attempt to find a way wiggle out of paying the claim eventhough correcting a speedometer had nothing to do with.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Engine failures rarely happen due to tunes now. Actually, I don't think I've heard of one in over a year, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's very, very rare... now.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

At my dealer (Which I think is the same as Ronnie's?) they basically told me that they try to warranty everything. They make money from Ford Motoco for warranty replacements. So they will try to work with you on getting something replaced. If you go in there with a nitrous plate and bottle hooked up there may be a problem LOL.
Call your dealer and ask about the tuner. Heck even Ford Racing makes a tuner for your car. Call and ask if they do the work and tell them you want to make sure that the warranty for your gears and rear will still be under affect.

Remember that if you replace gears and anything else goes they have to prove it was the gears that caused the issue.
Most dealers will replace gears in my experience.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Same dealer "GY" at the auto Mall

Ronnie
Old 09-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Engine failures rarely happen due to tunes now. Actually, I don't think I've heard of one in over a year, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's very, very rare... now.

GT 1 isn't saying that a tune would cause an engine failure, he is just saying that if he had an engine failure and the dealer found a tune loaded or footprint from one, they would do whatever they can to deny the claim. He doesn't want to go through the hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
GT 1 isn't saying that a tune would cause an engine failure, he is just saying that if he had an engine failure and the dealer found a tune loaded or footprint from one, they would do whatever they can to deny the claim. He doesn't want to go through the hassle.

Interpreted that wrong. Yeah, that makes sense.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
If youre worried about a warranty I wouldnt even do the gears.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Stangman has a good point there

Quote:
Socal Stangman If youre worried about a warranty I wouldnt even do the gears.
If you decide on changing the gears you really will need a tune to make everything work properly if your car has an automatic transmission.
Ronnie
Old 09-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Best bet call your dealer and ask or even go there. Here is some reading that will help http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnu...s_Warranty_Act
The Magnusson law basically states its up to Ford/Dealer to prove beyond a doubt that your modification caused the issue trying to be covered under warranty.

Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Gears generally won't kill your complete warranty. After that good luck. Im at the stage where my next mods will void the engine. N20 and Pro-Charger. Which is why im driving my car around without doing it. That said I know if i blow the engine Ill be the one replacing it.
Ill take that responsibility at that time. (Been looking for backup 3.7 ecoboost LOL)

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Use a Ford dealer that does high performance work. I used Sutton Ford in Matteson Ill. when I lived in that area. Some dealers get it, some don't. If your making payments and depend on warranty's holding up don't fool with the car. Just drive it. Leave tearing factory parts up to the rest of us that don't care about warranty's.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I called a Ford Racing dealership who stated they'd install 3.73's, retune and maintain warranty. I called another Ford dealership who said they don't do gear swaps at all... I always get anything important in writing.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
VTHokiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

The v6 computer does not have the option to go to 3.55 or 3.73 (the v8 5.0 computer has both)

It does have the 3.31 option, but I am wondering if that is even worth going to only a 3.31 instead of 3.55 or 3.73

Old 09-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Idk man if you're so worried about your warranty don't get the gears. Just wait til its up or 15-20k miles to make sure everything is good then do gears and a tune. The 3.31's are nice I got them from the factory. No desire for me to change to 3.73.
I stressed for months over tuning and I have never been happier I did. Did it with 25k on the car no problems and I love it. It's my DD. I just flash back to stock when I take it in . Haven't had any problems .

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Worried... no.

Simply looking for accurate info to see what is possible.

Hoping to find someone that has actually done the recalibration - of their speedometer after a 3.55 or 3.73 gear swap in their v6 - without using an aftermarket tuner.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
Worried... no.

Hoping to find someone that has actually done the recalibration - of their speedometer after a 3.55 or 3.73 gear swap in their v6 - without using an aftermarket tuner.

I think that you are going to find that no one has done it without a tuner. Reason: the ECU controls it so unless you change the ECU with a tune you can't change the speedometer.

The dealer can only flash with a stock set up. So, no 3.73 from the factory, or 3.55, on the V6 prevents the dealer from changing the parameter to a stock set up
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Worried... no.

I think that you are going to find that no one has done it without a tuner. Reason: the ECU controls it so unless you change the ECU with a tune you can't change the speedometer.

The dealer can only flash with a stock set up. So, no 3.73 from the factory, or 3.55, on the V6 prevents the dealer from changing the parameter to a stock set up.

Even going to 3.31 where the dealer can get a stock tune won't preserve the rear end warranty. Ford warranties the car that Ford built, not the one you built. The rear end won't match the build data so if it breaks Ford won't warranty that rear end.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

The dealer can only flash with a stock set up. So, no 3.73 from the factory, or 3.55, on the V6 prevents the dealer from changing the parameter to a stock set up.

Even going to 3.31 where the dealer can get a stock tune won't preserve the rear end warranty. Ford warranties the car that Ford built, not the one you built. The rear end won't match the build data so if it breaks Ford won't warranty that rear end.

I've heard in the past that if a Ford replaces the rear end, they will give you a separate, one year warranty on that alone.

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #29
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I've heard in the past that if a Ford replaces the rear end, they will give you a separate, one year warranty on that alone.

Most shops will warranty the work they do as well, usually for one year. That's one thing I looked for when finding a shop to install mine. And I believe Ford Racing gears have a manufacture warranty, so those combined cover product and the install.

Quote:
Worried... no.

You won't find anyone who has because fixing the speedometer requires changing parameters in the ecu. If it's the performance tune you're trying to stay away from and not the use of the tuner itself, then get the speedometer calibrator. It "tunes" your vehicle for the new gears, but all it touches is what's needed to correct the speedo. Like I previously said, it'll still leave a time stamp on the ecu.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang