Loud Resonance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
IS3
Registered Member
Regular
 
IS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 98
Loud Resonance?

Hello Fellow ME peeps,


I just got a Flowmaster Series 44 Axle back installed today and before I ask some questions I just want to point out that I love the way it sounds, it is not raspy, and it has a deep rumble and pop which I really like and it doesn't sound like a Honda (At least not yet unless a Honda pulls next to me that may possibly sound like one).


When I reach 4th/5th/6th gear at 2.5/3K RPM the exhaust is making this loud deep resonance inside the cabin. the first 30 minutes did not matter because I was too excited to drive and I was just happy but when I get into the freeway all of a sudden I am getting a little annoyed. So one thing I want to clarify if this is what you call "exhaust drone?" does exhaust drone happen when you are stepping on gas or not? It seems like this deep rum/hum cabin noise happens to me when I am stepping on gas so I kind off step on and off because it gets a little annoying...

Thank you ME,
IS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
What you are hearing, good sir, is indeed drone. There's a reason a lot of people call them Dronemasters haha. Sorry to hear about your problem though. If someone does a decent bit of highway driving, I usually try to deter them from Flowmasters. Now that I've had experience with Pype Bombs on the highway in the form of my move from Florida to Alaska, I can say the same about them as well. Borla and MBRP are two exhaust options that I have not heard any complaints about as far as drone. I'll more than likely be picking up one of those to replace my Pype Bombs.
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
14mustang v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: dallas tx
Region: Texas
Posts: 539
Yes that's drone

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2014 v6 blacked out.. the only way to do it. Airaid cai, bbk tb, 93htune, 3.73 gears, and magnaflow competition exhaust
14mustang v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
IS3
Registered Member
Regular
 
IS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 98
Unbelievable... cause I specifically told the muffler shop to make sure there's no drone..... anyway, ill call them back tomorrow...
IS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
I don't care what any body here says...all aftermarket mufflers will have some type of drone. How bad? Depends on what you think is bad. To be honest I'm not sure every one knows what drone is...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dubai
Region: Other
Posts: 276
When i was using my super 44s, i remember that it was a hairline away from a real irritating drone...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2014 6 banger premium (girls' mustang)
Performance: Roush CAI, LT headers, off road x pipe, 73mm TB, Ford racing 4.10 gears, H&R LS, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Magnaflow exhaust, Nitto NT05,SCT X4, Lund Racing tune
Exterior: Real carbon quarter panel window louvers+Side scoops+Side diffusers, Polished billet retro grill, 20' AR rims
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Laquisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,279
should of got roush ab. dont have drone unless your in 6th gear and foot to the pedal. which mobody does lol
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sterlingbeast5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Naples, FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
What you are hearing, good sir, is indeed drone. There's a reason a lot of people call them Dronemasters haha. Sorry to hear about your problem though. If someone does a decent bit of highway driving, I usually try to deter them from Flowmasters. Now that I've had experience with Pype Bombs on the highway in the form of my move from Florida to Alaska, I can say the same about them as well. Borla and MBRP are two exhaust options that I have not heard any complaints about as far as drone. I'll more than likely be picking up one of those to replace my Pype Bombs.
V8 here but yes, Pype bombs do as well at highway RPM's.

Florida to Alaska?!? Damn thats a move. I live in Naples and spent one of my best summers ever in Ketchikan Alaska. Wonderful place I hope to get back to for a vacation sometime
__________________
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3 View Post
Hello Fellow ME peeps,


I just got a Flowmaster Series 44 Axle back installed today and before I ask some questions I just want to point out that I love the way it sounds, it is not raspy, and it has a deep rumble and pop which I really like and it doesn't sound like a Honda (At least not yet unless a Honda pulls next to me that may possibly sound like one).


When I reach 4th/5th/6th gear at 2.5/3K RPM the exhaust is making this loud deep resonance inside the cabin. the first 30 minutes did not matter because I was too excited to drive and I was just happy but when I get into the freeway all of a sudden I am getting a little annoyed. So one thing I want to clarify if this is what you call "exhaust drone?" does exhaust drone happen when you are stepping on gas or not? It seems like this deep rum/hum cabin noise happens to me when I am stepping on gas so I kind off step on and off because it gets a little annoying...

Thank you ME,

I have flowmaster 40's welded on mine. It was freaking loud as far as this tone or "drone". Give it 1000 miles and I guarantee it'll tame down a great deal. Mine did.


The original... Boss 227!
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3 View Post
Unbelievable... cause I specifically told the muffler shop to make sure there's no drone..... anyway, ill call them back tomorrow...
The muffler shop can't do much when it's the design of the muffler causing the drone. Certainly not without using resonators, even those probably won't get rid of it all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I have flowmaster 40's welded on mine. It was freaking loud as far as this tone or "drone". Give it 1000 miles and I guarantee it'll tame down a great deal. Mine did.


The original... Boss 227!
or you'll get used to it/become deaf. I have Bassani ab's which have a touch of drone when going uphill. It ain't bad to my ears but it is a common problem with V6 engines. Good luck
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
IS3
Registered Member
Regular
 
IS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 98
Loud Resonance?

The funny thing here is my wife loves the drone sound... I even asked her like 5 times in different occasion and she said "it sounds like a muscle car to me"

I'll definitely give it at least 1000 miles hoping it would tame but good point though on becoming deaf lmao!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
IS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Region: Arizona
Posts: 311
The best cure for drone, go faster!
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
IS3
Registered Member
Regular
 
IS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
The best cure for drone, go faster!

Problem solved lol!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
IS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
should of got roush ab. dont have drone unless your in 6th gear and foot to the pedal. which mobody does lol

This is exactly what Im talking about. If you look up drone in the dictionary it shows a "Rosh Axle Back". The Roush is known as one of the loudest AB's on the market and youre saying theres no drone...sorry not buying that for a second.

Who else here has a Roush AB? Do you say zero drone??
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
This is exactly what Im talking about. If you look up drone in the dictionary it shows a "Rosh Axle Back". The Roush is known as one of the loudest AB's on the market and youre saying theres no drone...sorry not buying that for a second.

Who else here has a Roush AB? Do you say zero drone??
I've had them for almost 2 years, love them but in 6th in between 17 and 2100 rpm they do drone, its not terrible but its there.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I've had them for almost 2 years, love them but in 6th in between 17 and 2100 rpm they do drone, its not terrible but its there.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

See Ill buy that. To say there is no drone to me simply isnt true. Drone is a very subjective thing. Some dont mind it and some totally hate it. I can deal with a little,but Ive had some systems I put on and had to take it off within a couple of days.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
SixBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mount Rainier, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 968
My Bassani's drones really bad for the first few hundred/thousand miles. It was so bad that you could feel the pressure from the sound on your ears. Now that they've got 10,000 miles on them, it's not nearly as bad. It drones a bit on the highway, but it can easily be toned out by the AC/heat. Bassani always seems to be the redheaded stepchild as far as axlebacks go. Some people are on a tight budget, so they go with Pypes, and some people have a good bit of money to sink in on their exhaust, so they go with Borla. Bassani is right in between the two.
__________________
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Yeah, even the quiet stockers can produced some drown at certain RPMS and load. I find it hard to believe that there is any aftermarket AB for our 3.7s that produce zero drone.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dubai
Region: Other
Posts: 276
The Magnaflow street doesn't have any drone... since it is not loud to begin with! :p

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2014 6 banger premium (girls' mustang)
Performance: Roush CAI, LT headers, off road x pipe, 73mm TB, Ford racing 4.10 gears, H&R LS, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Magnaflow exhaust, Nitto NT05,SCT X4, Lund Racing tune
Exterior: Real carbon quarter panel window louvers+Side scoops+Side diffusers, Polished billet retro grill, 20' AR rims
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
The stocks aren't loud either, but they can produce a bit of drone.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Region: Arizona
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
The stocks aren't loud either, but they can produce a bit of drone.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

I can vouch for this. Bone stock I get quite a bit doing 1700-2000rpm in 6th.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want a loud exhaust 99'sleeper Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 16 02-27-2006 06:42 PM
PerformancePac, 2003-04 Mustang Cobra w/Loud Mouth Exhaust w/ High-Flow Cats 575HP Machperformance Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 2 03-06-2005 10:18 AM
SLP Loud Mouth cat bak SVT_Rob 1996-2004 Mustang GT 7 08-21-2004 09:46 PM
Help: Loud gear noises JimMoser Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 12 06-29-2004 09:36 AM
loud engine noise. need help!! tealstangman Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 22 01-15-2004 07:57 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:39 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.