Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Loud Resonance?

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Wysh 
#1 ·
Hello Fellow ME peeps,

I just got a Flowmaster Series 44 Axle back installed today and before I ask some questions I just want to point out that I love the way it sounds, it is not raspy, and it has a deep rumble and pop which I really like and it doesn't sound like a Honda (At least not yet unless a Honda pulls next to me that may possibly sound like one).

When I reach 4th/5th/6th gear at 2.5/3K RPM the exhaust is making this loud deep resonance inside the cabin. the first 30 minutes did not matter because I was too excited to drive and I was just happy but when I get into the freeway all of a sudden I am getting a little annoyed. So one thing I want to clarify if this is what you call "exhaust drone?" does exhaust drone happen when you are stepping on gas or not? It seems like this deep rum/hum cabin noise happens to me when I am stepping on gas so I kind off step on and off because it gets a little annoying...

Thank you ME,

#2 ·
What you are hearing, good sir, is indeed drone. There's a reason a lot of people call them Dronemasters haha. Sorry to hear about your problem though. If someone does a decent bit of highway driving, I usually try to deter them from Flowmasters. Now that I've had experience with Pype Bombs on the highway in the form of my move from Florida to Alaska, I can say the same about them as well. Borla and MBRP are two exhaust options that I have not heard any complaints about as far as drone. I'll more than likely be picking up one of those to replace my Pype Bombs.

#8 ·
V8 here but yes, Pype bombs do as well at highway RPM's.

Florida to Alaska?!? Damn thats a move. I live in Naples and spent one of my best summers ever in Ketchikan Alaska. Wonderful place I hope to get back to for a vacation sometime

#10 ·
The muffler shop can't do much when it's the design of the muffler causing the drone. Certainly not without using resonators, even those probably won't get rid of it all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#6 ·
When i was using my super 44s, i remember that it was a hairline away from a real irritating drone...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#15 ·
This is exactly what Im talking about. If you look up drone in the dictionary it shows a "Rosh Axle Back". The Roush is known as one of the loudest AB's on the market and youre saying theres no drone...sorry not buying that for a second.

Who else here has a Roush AB? Do you say zero drone??

#11 ·
I have flowmaster 40's welded on mine. It was freaking loud as far as this tone or "drone". Give it 1000 miles and I guarantee it'll tame down a great deal. Mine did.

The original... Boss 227!
or you'll get used to it/become deaf. I have Bassani ab's which have a touch of drone when going uphill. It ain't bad to my ears but it is a common problem with V6 engines. Good luck

#12 · (Edited)
The funny thing here is my wife loves the drone sound... I even asked her like 5 times in different occasion and she said "it sounds like a muscle car to me"

I'll definitely give it at least 1000 miles hoping it would tame but good point though on becoming deaf lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#18 ·
My Bassani's drones really bad for the first few hundred/thousand miles. It was so bad that you could feel the pressure from the sound on your ears. Now that they've got 10,000 miles on them, it's not nearly as bad. It drones a bit on the highway, but it can easily be toned out by the AC/heat. Bassani always seems to be the redheaded stepchild as far as axlebacks go. Some people are on a tight budget, so they go with Pypes, and some people have a good bit of money to sink in on their exhaust, so they go with Borla. Bassani is right in between the two.

#19 ·
Yeah, even the quiet stockers can produced some drown at certain RPMS and load. I find it hard to believe that there is any aftermarket AB for our 3.7s that produce zero drone.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

#20 ·
The Magnaflow street doesn't have any drone... since it is not loud to begin with! :p

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#21 ·
The stocks aren't loud either, but they can produce a bit of drone.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.