Raxiom GPS Nav Map updates - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Raxiom GPS Nav Map updates

This has been a question that has been floating around for a while since the unit came out and American Muscle said that the map updates were free and nobody could actually get them, but it looks like they finally admitted (trying to whitewash, more like it) that they weren't correct. They edited (and removed in some cases) the questions in the Q&A section for the unit so it now states that you have to pay for the updates to get them, whereas before the answers to the question stated they were free. Guess that finally answers that. Wish it was handled in a better way though. Oh well, if you were thinking about getting this, it's something to consider (the maps are from Q1 of 2012 so if your roads have had any changes in the last 3 years like mine have, they're probably not right anymore).

EDIT:

Here's the old version of this question as it appeared two days ago. It was updated earlier today.

One of the deleted questions:
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Wow. That sucks. And really weird they did that. Didn't think AM would do something like that . Maybe it's just confusion and they're working it out? If they said they were free they should be free......
My uncle was waiting to order this because of this exact dilemma

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I guess it could be confusion, but they've been iffy about it for almost a year. Having a statement that they were free for 10+ months after people have been asking them seems a little bit more than confusion. The free updates were one of the main reasons I bought it. I still like it, but I've been using my phone for nav more and more just because of the maps being wrong/inefficient for my area and where I go. The POIs are kind of annoying too. It contains a fair number of places around me that have been closed down for a while now.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I've used GM's nav, Acura/Honda's nav, Ford's nav, Volvo's nav and Hyundai's nav (Hyundai's was the best automaker's nav IMO) and I still haven't found a navigation that's better than Google maps on my iPhone.

It's 2014. These updates should be free and automatic.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
This is extremely disappointing, as I did just order this and the free updates went into my consideration.

I may have made the purchase anyway if I knew that updates were charged for, but it does feel a bit raw to be told in black and white that its free and then just weeks after ordering have this happen.

AM, not throwing rocks, but can you weigh in on this?
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey Guys-Thanks for bringing this to my attention! We're sorry about the inconvenience and we're disappointed to hear about this but NaviExtras is solely responsible for the map update process and they were free but no longer are; This charge is on their end and as soon as we were notified about this we updated our site accordingly.

We stand behind what we sell and we're trying to provide the best products with the most competitive pricing. We're making sure that the units being shipped have the most up to date maps and if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to let me know!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey Guys-Thanks for bringing this to my attention! We're sorry about the inconvenience and we're disappointed to hear about this but NaviExtras is solely responsible for the map update process and they were free but no longer are; This charge is on their end and as soon as we were notified about this we updated our site accordingly.

We stand behind what we sell and we're trying to provide the best products with the most competitive pricing. We're making sure that the units being shipped have the most up to date maps and if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to let me know!

Alex
When was this free period? I purchased the unit on October 11, which is literally one week after it became available on your site (October 4). It arrived on October 15. I attempted to update the maps as soon as it arrived and never had the option of free map updates. The response to the question in Q&A regarding free updates was posted after that. For 10+ months the statement sat there saying they were free. I know for a fact multiple people including myself had asked about them via phone, email, and web postings and received little more than "go to naviextras.com."
Old 09-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

These problems have nothing to do with american muscle. They might have accidentally marketed it wrong but not really a reason to be upset at them. They thought updates are free but they aren't. The description is now changed, what else do you want?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
These problems have nothing to do with american muscle. They might have accidentally marketed it wrong but not really a reason to be upset at them. They thought updates are free but they aren't. The description is now changed, what else do you want?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Not to be rude or anything to AM, but it is a poor business tactic to assume something was free and market it to their customers as such when it wasn't.

Sure, it wasn't their fault that the navi company didn't actually provide free map updates, but it is their fault for not checking up on their facts, especially since the navi is a popular item on their site.

Not to mention numerous people complaining and contacting AM regarding the free updates, when in fact, no one was able to find these "free updates." (As you can see from someone else that posted in this thread)

I think it's AM's responsibility to own up to this problem since they did market it was being free for a period of time, but during that period of time, no one was able to update their maps for free. AM prides itself on customer service, but if in fact there were no free updates during the time that AM said there was free updates, that's completely their fault. Not the navi companies.

Just my two cents.
stevenli204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenli204 View Post
Not to be rude or anything to AM, but it is a poor business tactic to assume something was free and market it to their customers as such when it wasn't.

Sure, it wasn't their fault that the navi company didn't actually provide free map updates, but it is their fault for not checking up on their facts, especially since the navi is a popular item on their site.

Not to mention numerous people complaining and contacting AM regarding the free updates, when in fact, no one was able to find these "free updates." (As you can see from someone else that posted in this thread)

I think it's AM's responsibility to own up to this problem since they did market it was being free for a period of time, but during that period of time, no one was able to update their maps for free. AM prides itself on customer service, but if in fact there were no free updates during the time that AM said there was free updates, that's completely their fault. Not the navi companies.

Just my two cents.
So what would you have them do to own up to it?

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
So what would you have them do to own up to it?

To be honest, I think its satisfactory for them to just apologize for making the mistake in marketing their product.

But, if they truly did pride themselves on their customer service, they would offer AT LEAST some sort of map update discount for people that have previously bought the GPS before they began saying it wasn't free. But, then again, they are a business and I doubt they would do that.
stevenli204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hey

I have found the maps to pretty much up to date and not that big of an issue.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey Guys,

Again we just wanted to apologize about the inconvenience here. This was just brought to our attention this past week and we needed to have the listing updated accordingly as we were just made aware of the change on NaviExtras. We make every attempt to have our products up to date and had we been aware of this earlier we absolutely would've had this up earlier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
When was this free period? I purchased the unit on October 11, which is literally one week after it became available on your site (October 4). It arrived on October 15. I attempted to update the maps as soon as it arrived and never had the option of free map updates. The response to the question in Q&A regarding free updates was posted after that. For 10+ months the statement sat there saying they were free. I know for a fact multiple people including myself had asked about them via phone, email, and web postings and received little more than "go to naviextras.com."
ForceFlow-You should've absolutely received them for free and this is definitely out of the ordinary. Shoot me a PM with your order number so I can look into this further for you! If you ordered this as early as October I would personally assure you that we were told that you were getting these updates for free. It's not something that we've been neglecting for 10+ months and we appreciate your understanding.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

PM has been sent. I appreciate you looking into this.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well, after a few weeks and a few PMs (mostly from waiting and resending the same message multiple times due to professed ME PM issues), I am considering this matter closed for me personally. I have decided I am probably just going to find a different system and sell my Raxiom to finance something better. Maybe look into a head unit with MirrorLink, that might fit my usage a bit better.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #16

Region: Canada
AM should be selling units that have the most up to date maps or providing at their cost the first update on the unit if needed at purchase.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #17

Region: Canada
Hey guys, i want to buy the gen2 from this unit. Question to Alex. Is the update possible. Someother guys saying that the are not able to update.

I lost the sale on the unit due to delay from AM, as they took too long to send the catlog and i live in Canada and shipping expesinve so wanted to buy all my items at once ;(
Wisam is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang