I am getting 15.6 mpg - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I am getting 15.6 mpg

Mostly city driving with highway sometimes. I see everyone getting 21+ and I drive efficiently most of the time but the highest it goes up to is 15.7. Even drove my dads GT yesterday and he was getting 18.8. I don't know the problem. Tire pressure is good.
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ouch Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410960979.181073.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	636.3 KB
ID:	166299

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Car factors in a zero when sitting still, like at a light. Your mileage will always be getting worse, so i reset mine about once a week to get a true average.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Something I've learned don't rely on the mpg reading on the dash. Do the math yourself, there's also apps that do this for you; Fuelly, aCar, etc. I've seen that the mpg reading on the dash is not the same as what the app gives me or as when I do the math myself.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
Something I've learned don't rely on the mpg reading on the dash. Do the math yourself, there's also apps that do this for you; Fuelly, aCar, etc. I've seen that the mpg reading on the dash is not the same as what the app gives me or as when I do the math myself.

Well how do u know ur exact gallons that you've used up? It's pretty difficult to get an accurate reflections off the gauge.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
My dash always shows 15-ish mpg and I'm all city driving. Any time you are waiting at a light, your mpgs go to 0 because you aren't moving, but you also aren't burning very much gas. The computer doesn't put that into account.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
I did do the math myself, I did about 250 miles before getting to e and since its a 16 gallon tank 250/16 is 15.6 mpg.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Lol, don't feel too bad. You are still getting a lot more MPG than i am

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygreenmachine View Post
I did do the math myself, I did about 250 miles before getting to e and since its a 16 gallon tank 250/16 is 15.6 mpg.

"E" technically comes on when you have 2 gallons of reserve, so thats only 14 gallons. That still only brings you to about 18 mpg, but an improvement nonetheless
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

How are u guys getting that low mpg? Gears? I mean w my mods I've improved to 23+ mpg

Old 09-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I drive in crazy Miami traffic everyday and I average 20 to 21 mpg.

Also calculate the miles with the amount of gallons you put in to give you a rough guesstimation.

Also your right foot usually will factor in for excessive consumption.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I live in so cal... I do 45 mins half in freeway and half street... Morning traffic is light but afternoon freeway traffic is heavy at times... But I still get 23+ mpg

Old 09-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
1300 miles on mine and averaging 25.4 with 85% city, 15% highway driving.
tucsondivots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

This just seems stupid! How could there be this much variance( car to car) in MPG on these. Does the computer not have readings on injectors, load, speed... is there a tuner out there that can weigh in here??? If you can tune the car for performance can't you bring better calculations to the info screen for us for MPG?
Ppkonablue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

plus i have an automatic with 2.73s so it seems like it would be the most fuel efficient. maybe a tune would fix it, but it won't save me $380 in gas.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppkonablue12 View Post
This just seems stupid! How could there be this much variance( car to car) in MPG on these. Does the computer not have readings on injectors, load, speed... is there a tuner out there that can weigh in here??? If you can tune the car for performance can't you bring better calculations to the info screen for us for MPG?
Well...
Weather is a big factor when it comes to to mpg

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. But what people seem to be saying here is " get a smart phone app" , " calculate it yourself" ... why should we have to use another computer ( phone) or a pad of paper- when there's a computer in the car! What's being said to those who's cars are telling them 15mpg , is that the cars not correct, and to use another method. That's what I'm saying is crazy.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I mean if it's weather- then the reading from the car is correct.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppkonablue12 View Post
Yes. But what people seem to be saying here is " get a smart phone app" , " calculate it yourself" ... why should we have to use another computer ( phone) or a pad of paper- when there's a computer in the car! What's being said to those who's cars are telling them 15mpg , is that the cars not correct, and to use another method. That's what I'm saying is crazy.

Short answer is the cars computer is wrong a lot and does not actually take miles driven by gallons used. It uses an algorithm to calculate it.

In doing so the cars computer considers idle time and other variables that could result in not a 100% accurate accurate readout.
To really know you need to fill the car up, drive through the majority of the tank, fill up completely again, then divide miles driven by gallons of gas it took to fill up (gallons used). That is the only way to truly know your mpg.

I always do this and compare to the cars computer and I've seen it with .02 mpg of being accurate and have also saw it off by 5-6 mpg. So you can't rely on the computer. I've noticed idle time as well as aggressive driving makes the cars computer read lower then it actually is especially if you don't have constant driving afterwards for it to readjust.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Short answer is the cars computer is wrong a lot and does not actually take miles driven by gallons used. It uses an algorithm to calculate it.

In doing so the cars computer considers idle time and other variables that could result in not a 100% accurate accurate readout.
To really know you need to fill the car up, drive through the majority of the tank, fill up completely again, then divide miles driven by gallons of gas it took to fill up (gallons used). That is the only way to truly know your mpg.

I always do this and compare to the cars computer and I've seen it with .02 mpg of being accurate and have also saw it off by 5-6 mpg. So you can't rely on the computer. I've noticed idle time as well as aggressive driving makes the cars computer read lower then it actually is especially if you don't have constant driving afterwards for it to readjust.

^^ This
Old 09-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

If you reset your trip counter at fill up on a full tank, and then record the miles when you fill up on the next full tank - bingo exact miles driven with exact gallons used. The computer only takes an average - never trust it 100%

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dark_Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Mines around 15 mainly city driving so that sounds about right!
KieraniGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Car factors in a zero when sitting still, like at a light. Your mileage will always be getting worse, so i reset mine about once a week to get a true average.
This ^^

In my 2005 F-150, it did not have a trip type computor, so I bought a scanguage II that plugged into the OBD II connector to provide me with the instant MPG and average MPG. In the instructions, it stated to obtain the best, most accurate readings, reset it during each fillup, fill the tank at the same timeframe, and even use the same pump!

I thought this was a bit overboard, but I did find that by doing a reset at each fillup did provide much more accurate results.

Any mods on this car, such as larger tires that the stock tune has not compensated for?

When I drove my Mustang on the highway (its first two years of ownership had me driving it daily from Orlando to Tampa 5 days a week), I was averaging 27 MPG.

Skip to present day; I now drive it for a short 10 mile highway trip, then exit into city stop/go traffic. My best with this scenrio is 19 to 20, and its average stays at 19.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I get between 24-27 mpg.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Mine stays at around 18-19 but I've got a 40 mile round trip each day that takes an average of 2-3 hours combined. I'd say that's "highway" considering that's where I am most of the time, but does it count if your going 5mph?

Dark_Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by D ark_Pony View Post
Mine stays at around 18-19 but I've got a 40 mile round trip each day that takes an average of 2-3 hours combined. I'd say that's "highway" considering that's where I am most of the time, but does it count if your going 5mph?

Liked I stated before I love in SoCal... Drive 50 mi round trip per day half on freeway and street and I still manage 23 mpg. I'm assuming everyone else has higher gears than my 2.73 ?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Liked I stated before I love in SoCal... Drive 50 mi round trip per day half on freeway and street and I still manage 23 mpg. I'm assuming everyone else has higher gears than my 2.73 ?

I've got the same gears as you. I'm getting 23 mpg. Come to think of it I drive maybe highway don't know. Usually drive 55-60 mph for like 10 mins then I'm driving 30 mph for the same amount of time or a couple mins more.

As its been mentioned, I always try to fuel up with 1/4 of a tank left and at the same gas station and same pump. And I've actually seen changes.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Was getting 20-21 mpg
Old 09-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Yeah this calculation design blows
Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Well...one is getting 0 mpg when the engine is on and the car isn't moving...seriously guys? Lol

Its more complicated than just that. Its fuel used X distance traveled, as a constant variable. So the gear, engine load, throttle position, speed, it all varies. Yes, we get zero mpg engine on at no speed, but it only lasts as long as one is still. Start moving or turn your engine off, and the mpg gets better (more accurately, it stops decreasing).

Using enough fuel to do what you need is the best way to save fuel.

Example, I turn from a stop sign onto a 55, which goes to a 50, then a 35, to a red light. I don't drive 55, then hit the brakes, hold 50 and then brake to 35, so on. I get to 54, coast (downhill, and two lanes at times) and if there was no traffic, I could get from the 50 mark at 54 mph all the way to the red light. To be respectful to traffic, I pick up extra speed a few times, but I don't go nuts. When I have fun, i take use of that fuel.

One thing to keep in mind is that we have performance oriented cars. We will have more fuel use than a Focus or Prius. Looking at our gauges, they put energy into other areas rather then fuel gauges- I think I'd be the only one really rooting for that!

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I will honestly say that before I swapped gear ratios from 2.73 to 3.31, I was getting 12-17 in the city and about 25 highway. After switching I was getting almost 20 in the city, and 29-31 highway. I as accelerating at the same rate as every other car around me, but it just seeded like I had to really give it a lot of gas in the lower rpm range to make anything happen on the 2.73s.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
I will honestly say that before I swapped gear ratios from 2.73 to 3.31, I was getting 12-17 in the city and about 25 highway. After switching I was getting almost 20 in the city, and 29-31 highway. I as accelerating at the same rate as every other car around me, but it just seeded like I had to really give it a lot of gas in the lower rpm range to make anything happen on the 2.73s.
This is exactly what I think. It feels like i'm giving it a lot of gas to get going just because of how low the gear ratio
Old 09-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Yes the on board mileage is just for reference. Use an app for making decisions about what real mileage is. In all honesty, 15 mpg on a 3.7 V6 is ridiculously low. I have 3.73 gears, LT headers, and an 80mm throttle body from a 5.0 on a daily driver with 63K and my long term average is 25 mpg. Oh yeah, I have a Brenspeed tune as well.
lowbwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
My scan gauge ii is extremely accurate. Within the tenth of a gallon for my engine on time.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Nygreen, how many miles do you have on your car now. Mileage tends to improve as the miles increase. In real city driving where you might stop at every stop light and have congested short blocks, 15-16 mpg seems right. If you have nice long roads, no traffic, and times street lights 23 mpg seems easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutionm
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Nygreen, how many miles do you have on your car now. Mileage tends to improve as the miles increase. In real city driving where you might stop at every stop light and have congested short blocks, 15-16 mpg seems right. If you have nice long roads, no traffic, and times street lights 23 mpg seems easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutionm
i have just about 900 miles. and yea most of my driving is stop and go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang