The most mellow sounding axle back? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Marketing tricks. They'll say anything to sell products. Maybe 1-2 horsepower, if anything. If performance is your primary goal you'll get much better bang for the buck elsewhere. Get mufflers if you want to change the sound of your stang.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Well there are straight through mufflers that do have a higher "flow" because there is less baffling and louvering, but you are correct, exhaust flow at that point in the system is all about sound.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Power will come by swapping out your midpipe. Also in our mustangs "cat-back" systems are gimmicks too. They charge $500 for mufflers or "axel-bavks" then add in larger over axel pipes and charge you $700 for a "cat-back" system.

For me, when I first got my car made me question. I have modded cars in the past and a "cat-back" exhaust always changed out the OEM piping from the catalytic converter (s) all the way back. For the Mustang it's just over axel piping and mufflers....soooo it sounded fishy to me.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Power will come by swapping out your midpipe. Also in our mustangs "cat-back" systems are gimmicks too. They charge $500 for mufflers or "axel-bavks" then add in larger over axel pipes and charge you $700 for a "cat-back" system.

For me, when I first got my car made me question. I have modded cars in the past and a "cat-back" exhaust always changed out the OEM piping from the catalytic converter (s) all the way back. For the Mustang it's just over axel piping and mufflers....soooo it sounded fishy to me.
It must be different for some of those catbacks. My Pypes catbacks go all the way from the midpipe and cats back.

It is a larger diameter and I probably picked up a very small amount of power versus just an axleback, but nothing crazy. I would say MAYBE 5 hp.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
It must be different for some of those catbacks. My Pypes catbacks go all the way from the midpipe and cats back.

It is a larger diameter and I probably picked up a very small amount of power versus just an axleback, but nothing crazy. I would say MAYBE 5 hp.

Pypes has a cat-back that changes your midpipe? That's pretty cool.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pypes has a cat-back that changes your midpipe?
No, I worded that slightly odd. It goes straight from the midpipe back.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Oh gotcha. Well see then it's not really a "true" cat-back. However most companies sell mid pipes and cat-back and headers and try to sell them all in stacked packages.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Here's cold start up (when it sounds best) of my single tip GT500 exhaust from cabin, windows down. Air raid CAI and resonator deletes (doesn't really make it loud tbh, okay maybe a little bit at WOT but with added rasp)
Attached Files
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Guys, I bought the quad exhaust (stock v6 muffler with dual tips) + rear valance...

Result:
>>>>> 0% drone
>>>>> 100% rasp

It sucks big time! :p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411558227038.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	166797  
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaighost View Post
Guys, I bought the quad exhaust (stock v6 muffler with dual tips) + rear valance...

Result:
>>>>> 0% drone
>>>>> 100% rasp

It sucks big time! :p
That sucks. You bought this from someone local in Dubai? I figure you did, since you mentioned it just yesterday. At least you didn't have to pay international shipping then.

I just quickly scrolled through this thread, and I'm surprised you went with this setup. You got many responses to your OP, and no one recommended this. I think Borla Touring is what you should get.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If I had a dollar for every time someone started a thread on what exhaust they should get, get an overwhelming exhaust on the what to pick, and then they pick something totally different and then say it sucks, I would be rich

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
If I had a dollar for every time someone started a thread on what exhaust they should get, get an overwhelming exhaust on the what to pick, and then they pick something totally different and then say it sucks, I would be rich

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
+ effing 1.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

@sakib most of the guys recommended borla and flowmaster. I was using flowmaster street.

That's why I asked if there will be some performance difference over a stock and after market muffler.

Anyway, I hope the rasp will get tired and decides to fade away? Lol!

Feedbacks are ofcourse appreciated. Exhaust is perhaps a trial and error exercise. 1 tone could be perfect for someone and could be the exact opposite for another person.

It is an expensive trial and error though!

In my case > Magnaflow street to flowmaster super 44 to flowmaster series 10 back to magnaflow street then back to stock with dual tips.

Again the objective is to get the most mellow sound for the exhaust cut out kit... this option is a fail though...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
There is not a single muffler that will kill the rasp. If you want the rasp gone you will need to replace the resonators you removed. With the stock mufflers, some vibrants should do that nicely.

Even with my catted H, if I use the stock mufflers it rasps, just not as loud as with the Borla's.

And to clarify, I like race car rasp. But catless rasp is a different animal... no bueno.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I mean *Magnaflow street

Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Go with Borla Touring or GT500s. Since your using cutouts this will work nicely with them and will still sound good. You will need resonators or a H-pipe with cats to kill the rasp. The X-pipe is your problem here. If you want to keep it your only option is resonators. No muffler change will get rid of the rasp. Alot of the suggestions here have been good. I've had GT500, FRPP sports, Magnaflow street cat back and now Borla S-Types on my six so I know what your going through. I mostly did it to experiment though and because I have a serious mod bug lol
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man! Is there a resonator from American Muscle that i can easily dump in to my x pipe?

Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think so. If you have an exhaust guy you go to then they might have some resonators in stock that will work. Other than that you can see if you can get some vibrant resonators online.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Me too. I have Corsa Sport. Couldn't be happier!

No drone at all. When under load, it makes your car sound like a Ferrari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbwan View Post
I have Corsa mufflers. They are excellent. Mellow when at idle and cruse but just all out at WOT.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Question about resonators>>> is there an ideal size / shape that can eliminate the rasp? Is bigger better? Or the smaller ones are better?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #55
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I must really be stupid or just plain "THICK"

I would like to really know why anyone would put on mufflers other then Magnaflow streets, Borla Touring or Ford Racing Touring and then want to chop up their pipes to add resonators. Why buy the loud raspy headache mufflers in the first place if you don't want the noise?
I know there are Mustang owners that love the loud pipes and would like them even louder but I'm talking about people that don't want the obnoxious loud mufflers to begin with but but them anyway.
These people just keep me confused as hell.
It's not like they were not informed on how mufflers sound before they plunk their money down.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I would like to really know why anyone would put on mufflers other then Magnaflow streets, Borla Touring or Ford Racing Touring and then want to chop up their pipes to add resonators. Why buy the loud raspy headache mufflers in the first place if you don't want the noise?
I know there are Mustang owners that love the loud pipes and would like them even louder but I'm talking about people that don't want the obnoxious loud mufflers to begin with but but them anyway.
These people just keep me confused as hell.
It's not like they were not informed on how mufflers sound before they plunk their money down.
Ronnie
Sometimes you can create a totally unique sound.

I know I'm adding resonators because I may be swapping over to a Catless setup and because at the moment it's a little raspy over 3k. But every other RPM range, I like it.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie the muffler that i got is not loud at all. It is a stock v6 muffler with dual tips. My issue is the rasp even on low rpm. If you will look at my first post, the idea is to get the most mellow sounding muffler and put an exhaust cut out so I can control the loudness (specially when there are cops around).

My previous previous set up: LT headers, off road x pipe, Flowmaster Series 10. And that was loud and I love it! The difference now is I am opting for a controlled loudness. A bit louder than stock but damn loud with a push of a button.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ronnie the muffler that i got is not loud at all. It is a stock v6 muffler with dual tips. My issue is the rasp even on low rpm. If you will look at my first post, the idea is to get the most mellow sounding muffler and put an exhaust cut out so I can control the loudness (specially when there are cops around).

My previous previous set up: LT headers, off road x pipe, Flowmaster Series 10. And that was loud and I love it! The difference now is I am opting for a controlled loudness. A bit louder than stock but damn loud with a push of a button.

Stock v6 with dual tips?! I had played with that idea when I had em! Did you drill a hole in your muffler to install a second tip, or if you merely replaced single tip with a dual?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

It was an exact duplicate of the stock shelby mufflers..yes they drilled a hole for 2nd tip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1411760691187.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	166917  
Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It was an exact duplicate of the stock shelby mufflers..yes they drilled a hole for 2nd tip
Oh no! That could be why it's raspy! You never want to drill into a muffler.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh no! That could be why it's raspy! You never want to drill into a muffler.
This. Ruins the sound baffling. The louvers inside are meant to direct sound in one direction unless they're designed with two tips and exit points.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Oh s**t! Do you think resonators will still help solve the problem?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Possibly somewhat, but I'm very skeptical that it will sound decent even after that. The acoustics in the muffler itself has been changed.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:09 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Should I just seal (weld) on the 2nd opening then? So it goes back to stock single exit point?

Old 09-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh s**t! Do you think resonators will still help solve the problem?

Whats your exhaust setup besides these mufflers? Do you have cats and factory resonators? If yes, then adding another pair of resonators isn't going to offer any significant help.

However if you don't, definitely add some glass packs!!

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Should I just seal (weld) on the 2nd opening then? So it goes back to stock single exit point?

Ya, close it up. Hopefully it's not to badly damaged.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

@bazinga LT headers, catless x pipe.

I will just close the 2nd hole.. tested it and noticed that majority of the sound/air goes out in the 2nd hole.

Will update you guys... thanks a ton!

Old 09-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
@bazinga LT headers, catless x pipe.

I will just close the 2nd hole.. tested it and noticed that majority of the sound/air goes out in the 2nd hole.

Will update you guys... thanks a ton!

Before you do that, I'd suggest putting a pair 18' glass packs and see how you like the sound. More than 80% of rasp you have atm is due to 'catless x' pipe and long tubes.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-27-2014, 02:53 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Yeah I wouldn't attack the tips first because you are going to have rasp regardless without resonators. Have you decided where you are going to place the cutouts and resonators? I've toyed with the idea of putting cutouts after the resonators.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:42 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

@livewire haven't sorted it out yet...

@bazinga no access to Glas packs here. I am closing the 2nd tip as the sound / air is mostly flowing there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1411807265124.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	166942   Click image for larger version

Name:	1411807294931.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	166943  

Name:	1411807345182.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	166944  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang