Stripes or lower my car.. - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Wait for the springs to settle, then get back to us
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
I'm curious on this one too, hopefully someone here that knows would chime in.

Normally, your LCA's should be parallel to ground. You can have them angle in the direction that can improve grip ("aggressive").

I'll try to explain....
Aftermarket LCA's have stiffer polymers and are made of stronger steel/aluminum materials, so the whole part is stiffer. The flexing allowed in the OEM bracket causes it to allow the axel to bounce back and forth a little under hard acceleration... causing wheel hop.

I'm personally trying to "tune" my suspension to about equivalent to a GT500 or Boss 302. I only dropped 1", I used OEM GT500 LCA's, etc... I'm thinking Ford knows how to make a car trackworthy while keeping it as a decent street car that won't bottom out on every speed bump, etc.. My handling is already worlds better with just 1" lowering springs, adj. pan hard bar, GT500 LCAs. Also added the FRPP jounce bumpers, but I don't think I've really bottomed out... using them yet.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Finally it's done.. Only close up don't have room in the garage..

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412132512430.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	167149   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412132531478.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	167150  

shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Looks really good!! Do you like it? How do you like the ride and look

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Looks really good!! Do you like it? How do you like the ride and look

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
So far didn't have a chance to drive it that long so couldn't tell you it's drivability, but the looks of it is definitely much better than before glad I made the decision instead of the stripes. Will drive it to work in the morning. Thanks by the way.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
Old 10-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Just an update finally drive her for an hour in a rainy day her in mass. With my new lowering Sr Springs, j&m adj. Phb, Bmr LCA, and Eibach camber bolts all I can say is woowww the back end planted really nice when accelerating from a dead stop specially in the corners, it has more grip and didn't feel any wheel hop at all and most specially no more fish tailing when accelerating from the corners, the wheel gap is definitely gone and the springs are still settling in, mind you I was driving in a rainy day here. Thanks to American muscle great stuff no damage of all the parts and packaging was perfect.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm going to install exact same setup as you + plus maybe LCA brackets in a few weeks. Traction around the corners (mostly fish tailing for me) is such a piss off atm, glad it worked out for you!

Question: can you use upper control arms with factory mounts? I'm getting one for cheap and new mounts are $$ lol

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I'm going to install exact same setup as you + plus maybe LCA brackets in a few weeks. Traction around the corners (mostly fish tailing for me) is such a piss off atm, glad it worked out for you!

Question: can you use upper control arms with factory mounts? I'm getting one for cheap and new mounts are $$ lol

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Yes you can sir, I used the factory mounts and don't forget grease it really good and use those pump for grease where the tube for the lca. My mechanic did the install for me don't want the headache of installing it.

Fortunately no fish tailing for me, I know that because when I have my stock suspension and when I go to this corner from work accelerating I always feel like I lose control from the rear end and after the installation did the same corner and it was perfect, it seems like it hugs the road evenly if you know what I mean. Love my set up and very satisfied.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #79
Road Trip!

Region: California
If you're not fish tailing, you lack power lol... I can agree it feels better and smoother, no more wheel hop and better take off, but if you hit the gas hard in a corner, you will still fish tail. I can take those merging turns on the freeway that say 20mph at 70ish like nothing now compared to feeling like I was gonna flip over at 30 before though lol

Sent from my HTC One Max using Tapatalk.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
If you're not fish tailing, you lack power lol... I can agree it feels better and smoother, no more wheel hop and better take off, but if you hit the gas hard in a corner, you will still fish tail. I can take those merging turns on the freeway that say 20mph at 70ish like nothing now compared to feeling like I was gonna flip over at 30 before though lol

Sent from my HTC One Max using Tapatalk.
Lol we always need more power right...

Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Quote:
Yes you can sir, I used the factory mounts and don't forget grease it really good and use those pump for grease where the tube for the lca. My mechanic did the install for me don't want the headache of installing it.

Just to clear this up Shunc, i think you misread his post and gave him an answer regarding your Lower control arms using the stock brackets which yes, you certainly can. The Upper control arm however, can (will) cause a clunking when used with the stock mount, so it is Highly suggested to replace the mount at the same time.
Also, Bazinga, there is only 1 Upper control arm / mount, so are you in fact meaning lower control arms as well? I understand it gets pretty convoluted with all thats going on back there haha.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Just to clear this up Shunc, i think you misread his post and gave him an answer regarding your Lower control arms using the stock brackets which yes, you certainly can. The Upper control arm however, can (will) cause a clunking when used with the stock mount, so it is Highly suggested to replace the mount at the same time.
Also, Bazinga, there is only 1 Upper control arm / mount, so are you in fact meaning lower control arms as well? I understand it gets pretty convoluted with all thats going on back there haha.
Haha ye man, I know what you mean. In fact I meant just the upper control arm mounts. The guy who selling UCAs said they could be used with stock mounts, however, I was in dilemma knowing that the stock mounts are a bad piece of rubber!

There's lot of 2 sided information on this forum regarding use of UCAs and LCAs with or without brackets. However if one has to do it right, I guess brackets/mounts are a must with control arms.

I read a thread with a picture of LCA positions (I don't know which one); they have to be parallel to the ground right? Grabber has his, but without brackets. Now I'm sure his springs are still settling in, is there a way of knowing if your car needs allignment? - after you have done both control arms, brackets, springs, panhard bar, and camber bolts.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

The difference is "fitting" in the stock mount(s) and "working" in the stock mount(s).
The Upper control arm will Fit in the stock upper control arm bracket, but it will cause a severe, annoying, clunk.

The stock Lower control arms will Fit in the stock brackets, but if you're not parallel, or lower at the axle end, you're not doing yourself any good.

Everything in the rear is fixed on a solid axle. You cant adjust camber, toe, anything, it just is what it is. The fronts however can be adjusted, and since you're both removing the struts to do the job and lowering the car, its advised to get an alignment after doing this job. This is especially important if you're installing camber bolts, because its almost impossible to get them in correct by eyeballing it, especially getting them the same on both sides.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah you're right he did say uca good catch Voltwings sorry misread it.. As for lca I used factory mounts didn't get brackets since it was already to late when I order it. I will have the alignment done tomorrow. How do you know if I needed one since my car drives fine.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

I guess you really wont until you get there. Mine was still in spec, but its nice just for the peace of mind
Old 10-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess you really wont until you get there. Mine was still in spec, but its nice just for the peace of mind
Okay will do, scheduled it for today as far as alignment goes what should I tell them since I never had my car aligned before, is it going to be rear wheel or four wheel alignment and do I tell them that I have camber bolts as well? Sorry no idea about this. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #87
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
every thread like this I read makes me want to lower mine....I did start looking to buy parts (scored Steeda strut mounts already) hopefully for next spring.

Shu, am I gonna get to see it next wknd?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay will do, scheduled it for today as far as alignment goes what should I tell them since I never had my car aligned before, is it going to be rear wheel or four wheel alignment and do I tell them that I have camber bolts as well? Sorry no idea about this. Thanks.

They'll just try to set it to factory spec, and yes, tell them you have camber bolts.

Basically, just say you need an alignment and you have bolts in the front struts that adjust the camber, They should be able to make it work.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They'll just try to set it to factory spec, and yes, tell them you have camber bolts.

Basically, just say you need an alignment and you have bolts in the front struts that adjust the camber, They should be able to make it work.
Perfect thank you sir appreciate it..

Old 10-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Perfect thank you sir appreciate it..

Hey Voltwings just got my alignment done yesterday, the guy that did my alignment was very thankful that I have the camber bolts it was easy for him to adjust everything. Now my car is in spec and it handles and drives perfectly.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
every thread like this I read makes me want to lower mine....I did start looking to buy parts (scored Steeda strut mounts already) hopefully for next spring.

Shu, am I gonna get to see it next wknd?
I will be there next weekend together with Fintile. Hopefully at that time my springs will settle in.. I'll show it to you definitely. Can't wait for another cruise..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang