Stripes or lower my car.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Stripes or lower my car..

I sold my borla and now have 500 bucks extra, as the title says I'm debating between putting stripes to my car or lower it. It will cost me 500 to custom paint stripes my car not vinyl. My mind is also thinking about lowering it. what should I do? The stripes would be the gt500 matte black and Springs would be the Sr Springs and Bmr Panhard bar. Pls enlightened me for the best choice.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Why did u sell ur borla if u dot mind me asking? I have the mustang rocker stripe and looks great. I don't wanna lower it, it'd be way stiff I think. The eichbach bars feel solid w stock ht.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
I sold my borla and now have 500 bucks extra, as the title says I'm debating between putting stripes to my car or lower it. It will cost me 500 to custom paint stripes my car not vinyl. My mind is also thinking about lowering it. what should I do? The stripes would be the gt500 matte black and Springs would be the Sr Springs and Bmr Panhard bar. Pls enlightened me for the best choice.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
Get both lol. I started with the stripes, then did the SR springs and adj panhard bar. Next year I'll start doing the rest of my suspension.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411073036432.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	166408  
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Why did u sell ur borla if u dot mind me asking? I have the mustang rocker stripe and looks great. I don't wanna lower it, it'd be way stiff I think. The eichbach bars feel solid w stock ht.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
I just like the look of lowered stang. I sold my borla touring since I got the s type. I already have the rocker stripes since my car is MCA edition. What made you say that it would be stiff? That's one thing I am worried about lowered cars too. I never lowered a car before.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just like the look of lowered stang. I sold my borla touring since I got the s type. I already have the rocker stripes since my car is MCA edition. What made you say that it would be stiff? That's one thing I am worried about lowered cars too. I never lowered a car before.

I have the SR springs and its not bad at all. Next year will come the rest of the suspension when I save the $$$ but for now it fine. Almost stock ride, I'm sure it will be even better after its all done.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I wouldn't paint on matte stripes. Matte scuffs too easily in my opinion.
juice_man_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I wouldn't paint them either. AM sells great 3m vinyl stripes and you get extra in case you mess up the hood like I did. Lol. Also I can remove them whenever I want without having to paint my car!

Old 09-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I have the SR springs and its not bad at all. Next year will come the rest of the suspension when I save the $$$ but for now it fine. Almost stock ride, I'm sure it will be even better after its all done.

What's your next suspension upgrade? Would it be okay if I just get the springs and Panhard bar? Or in the long run if I don't upgrade it the ride will be awful.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just w the eichbach anti roll bars you'll notice a difference (without lowering) that suspension upgrade alone is noticeable.

elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's your next suspension upgrade? Would it be okay if I just get the springs and Panhard bar? Or in the long run if I don't upgrade it the ride will be awful.

Struts, control arms, sway bar..... If your car is pretty new then yeah you'll be OK. Its something that you can do later down the line. If you can do it all at once then great, I couldn't, but I have a brother that has his own garage that will do it for me when I'm ready, pretty Lucky.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Struts, control arms, sway bar..... If your car is pretty new then yeah you'll be OK. Its something that you can do later down the line. If you can do it all at once then great, I couldn't, but I have a brother that has his own garage that will do it for me when I'm ready, pretty Lucky.

Nice stripes on that car man... I decided to get the stripes instead and save money for full suspension. I want to do it all at once.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice stripes on that car man... I decided to get the stripes instead and save money for full suspension. I want to do it all at once.

Thanks, good decision.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't paint them either. AM sells great 3m vinyl stripes and you get extra in case you mess up the hood like I did. Lol. Also I can remove them whenever I want without having to paint my car!

I had bad experience with vynil before it didn't last long and I can see all the swirl marks from the wax. I know I have to do it right but sometimes you leave some micro swirls from the wax. I decided to go with paint for easy cleaning and shine.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice_man_86 View Post
I wouldn't paint on matte stripes. Matte scuffs too easily in my opinion.
They are paint not vynil there is no rough edges in paint. So I think it will be fine.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Its really important to do both the Lower control arm relocation brackets and adjustable PHB when lowering. That's about $300 of your $500 right there, and springs will cost a little more than $200. In my mind, I would get the more expensive items now since you have the extra money.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Its really important to do both the Lower control arm relocation brackets and adjustable PHB when lowering. That's about $300 of your $500 right there, and springs will cost a little more than $200. In my mind, I would get the more expensive items now since you have the extra money.
Thats in my budget, do I have to upgrade if I get all of these in the long run? And how is the drivability with this? Is it better than stock?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

you will need the brackets to correct the suspension geometry once lowered, same as the panhard bar. They are things you "could" go without for now, but the performance of the car would suffer during corners, launches, shifts... As far as driveability, you will only notice a difference if they aren't there (when you're lowered).

Give Kelly at BMR a call if youd like and he can explain the brackets to you probably better than I can. The man knows his stuff.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you will need the brackets to correct the suspension geometry once lowered, same as the panhard bar. They are things you "could" go without for now, but the performance of the car would suffer during corners, launches, shifts... As far as driveability, you will only notice a difference if they aren't there (when you're lowered).

Give Kelly at BMR a call if youd like and he can explain the brackets to you probably better than I can. The man knows his stuff.
I always appreciate your comments on here and I thank you for that, I changed my mind again... And will go for stripes and lower my stang. A lot of people on here will just get spring and phb. I don't track my car or anything just want that lowered look and at the same time won't sacrifice drivability. Do you think I can get away with it? Or after a year my car would drive really rough? Sorry I have no knowledge when it comes to lowering.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Lower it. I have the Eibach Pro kit and it's not stiff at all.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Lower it. I have the Eibach Pro kit and it's not stiff at all.
Is it with just the spring?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Is it with just the spring?

Yup. I have a panhard bar but haven't put it in yet.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yup. I have a panhard bar but haven't put it in yet.
Thanks man appreciate it..

Old 09-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #22
ttt
Registered Member
Regular

If you have to choose one, I say lower it because you get both the performance from lower center of gravity and looks from that stance

ttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

I'm not sure what others are using but if you go with the Pro kit you don't need all those suspension upgrades. I lowered it and then waited a week or so for an alignment. I took it in and even after lowering it it wasn't that far off. They made a couple of adjustments but they were minor and I was told I really didn't even need one.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Lower... I lowered mine and love the look and corners better. If you are into launch though you should do control arms... huge difference
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I lowered mine, but I did a lot of other work at the same time. Struts, shocks, springs, Panhard bar and caster camber plates.

Not as rough a ride as I was expecting honestly. Stiffer than stock but perfectly livable.

I would definitely recommend the Panhard bar and at least the camber bolts if you go with the SR springs, it's a decent drop and you'll need to correct it.

My mild drop of my eibach pro kit springs needed correction and they only lower roughly an inch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I always appreciate your comments on here and I thank you for that, I changed my mind again... And will go for stripes and lower my stang. A lot of people on here will just get spring and phb. I don't track my car or anything just want that lowered look and at the same time won't sacrifice drivability. Do you think I can get away with it? Or after a year my car would drive really rough? Sorry I have no knowledge when it comes to lowering.

* Thanks, i've done my fair share of modding and have been irritated, pissed off and disappointed more times than i can remember haha. I basically just want people to be able to enjoy their mods and their investments.

Absolutely, The car will drive fine, just certain performance aspects may be compromised as i'll explain below. I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money man I understand completely wanting to put the money where its of the most benefit to you, the LCA brackets are only $150 so they're always something you can get at some other point in time if you chose.

Quote:
I'm not sure what others are using but if you go with the Pro kit you don't need all those suspension upgrades. I lowered it and then waited a week or so for an alignment. I took it in and even after lowering it it wasn't that far off. They made a couple of adjustments but they were minor and I was told I really didn't even need one.
Dont "need." See below.

So i'm going to do my best to explain the "need" for the relocation brackets below with some pictures i whipped up.

In example 1, the car is stock ride height, and you can see the LCA is parallel to the ground. When the car accelerates, the weight shifts to the rear and since one end of the LCA is attached to the body, and the other the axle, it puts the load on the axle and improves traction.

In example 2, when we lower the body relative to the axle, the load properties have changed. In this case, when the car accelerates and puts weight on the rear, the body will go down, but the location of the body relative to the LCA means this will actually pull the axle up and reduce traction on launches and shifts.

The relocation brackets basically lower the mounting point on the axle and allow the geometry to be more like example 1 when the vehicle has been lowered.

Lowering the body in relation to the axle, with no brackets, will have 0 impact on daily driving. The car will drive just as it always did, but in performance driving situations, the handling and performance can be compromised. I understand its a lot of money to spend all at once between the springs, PHB, relocation brackets... but they are something i suggest getting at some point. The PHB is definitely more important up front though to center the body on the axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCA.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	602.7 KB
ID:	166476   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCA-2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	603.9 KB
ID:	166477  

Old 09-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
* Thanks, i've done my fair share of modding and have been irritated, pissed off and disappointed more times than i can remember haha. I basically just want people to be able to enjoy their mods and their investments.

Absolutely, The car will drive fine, just certain performance aspects may be compromised as i'll explain below. I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money man I understand completely wanting to put the money where its of the most benefit to you, the LCA brackets are only $150 so they're always something you can get at some other point in time if you chose.

Dont "need." See below.

So i'm going to do my best to explain the "need" for the relocation brackets below with some pictures i whipped up.

In example 1, the car is stock ride height, and you can see the LCA is parallel to the ground. When the car accelerates, the weight shifts to the rear and since one end of the LCA is attached to the body, and the other the axle, it puts the load on the axle and improves traction.

In example 2, when we lower the body relative to the axle, the load properties have changed. In this case, when the car accelerates and puts weight on the rear, the body will go down, but the location of the body relative to the LCA means this will actually pull the axle up and reduce traction on launches and shifts.

The relocation brackets basically lower the mounting point on the axle and allow the geometry to be more like example 1 when the vehicle has been lowered.

Lowering the body in relation to the axle, with no brackets, will have 0 impact on daily driving. The car will drive just as it always did, but in performance driving situations, the handling and performance can be compromised. I understand its a lot of money to spend all at once between the springs, PHB, relocation brackets... but they are something i suggest getting at some point. The PHB is definitely more important up front though to center the body on the axle.
Thanks bro. I'm in front of the computer now and ready to hit buy.. This is what I got Sr lowering Springs, j&m adjustable phb, and j&m rear lower control arms. Is this all good?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Grab the eibach camber bolts. Only $30, your alignment will thank you.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 09-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Grab the eibach camber bolts. Only $30, your alignment will thank you.

Got it.. I will do that.. If you don't mind me asking what is that for?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

I totally understand what you saying and how lowering a vehicle works. However, the Pro kit is a very mild drop. If I was to use the Sportline kit I would have done a bunch of upgrades on the suspension because that's almost a 2" drop. Mine is half of that. I dont have the specs on my alignment anymore but I'm telling you it was super close to where it needed to be.

Is it bad to have the stuff youre talking about...no of course not. If hes not "slamming" it does he need to buy every thing right now to do it, my opinion is no. My car drives straight, handles well and not showing any camber wear. Ive had mine lowered for about 5 months now.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got it.. I will do that.. If you don't mind me asking what is that for?

It's to correct your camber and alignment after the drop.

As Volt has pointed out, your geometry will change. The bolts make it easier and add more adjustability when you take your car in for an alignment.

I went with camber plates instwad, but that's just my preference, those aren't necessary.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I totally understand what you saying and how lowering a vehicle works. However, the Pro kit is a very mild drop. If I was to use the Sportline kit I would have done a bunch of upgrades on the suspension because that's almost a 2" drop. Mine is half of that. I dont have the specs on my alignment anymore but I'm telling you it was super close to where it needed to be.

Is it bad to have the stuff youre talking about...no of course not. If hes not "slamming" it does he need to buy every thing right now to do it, my opinion is no. My car drives straight, handles well and not showing any camber wear. Ive had mine lowered for about 5 months now.
I'm just gonna do it all at once so I dont have to install all over again or add something else.. Do I need an alignment after all this?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm just gonna do it all at once so I dont have to install all over again or add something else.. Do I need an alignment after all this?

And yes, get an alignment.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. It really is beneficial to you to do that. What about shocks and struts? Doesn't make sense to upgrade the other stuff without upgrading probably the most important part...
Old 09-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. It really is beneficial to you to do that. What about shocks and struts? Doesn't make sense to upgrade the other stuff without upgrading probably the most important part...
I know but my car only has 18000 miles on it, and they are out of my budget. I would love to though. Is it bad if I don't upgrade my shocks and struts?

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
And yes, get an alignment.

Thank you sir.. Will do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang