Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Stripes or lower my car..

4K views 90 replies 18 participants last post by  shunc01 
#1 ·
I sold my borla and now have 500 bucks extra, as the title says I'm debating between putting stripes to my car or lower it. It will cost me 500 to custom paint stripes my car not vinyl. My mind is also thinking about lowering it. what should I do? The stripes would be the gt500 matte black and Springs would be the Sr Springs and Bmr Panhard bar. Pls enlightened me for the best choice.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..

#2 ·
Why did u sell ur borla if u dot mind me asking? I have the mustang rocker stripe and looks great. I don't wanna lower it, it'd be way stiff I think. The eichbach bars feel solid w stock ht.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#4 ·
I just like the look of lowered stang. I sold my borla touring since I got the s type. I already have the rocker stripes since my car is MCA edition. What made you say that it would be stiff? That's one thing I am worried about lowered cars too. I never lowered a car before.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..

#3 ·
Get both lol. I started with the stripes, then did the SR springs and adj panhard bar. Next year I'll start doing the rest of my suspension.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

Attachments

#7 ·
Yeah I wouldn't paint them either. AM sells great 3m vinyl stripes and you get extra in case you mess up the hood like I did. Lol. Also I can remove them whenever I want without having to paint my car!

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

#13 ·
I had bad experience with vynil before it didn't last long and I can see all the swirl marks from the wax. I know I have to do it right but sometimes you leave some micro swirls from the wax. I decided to go with paint for easy cleaning and shine.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

I wouldn't paint on matte stripes. Matte scuffs too easily in my opinion.
They are paint not vynil there is no rough edges in paint. So I think it will be fine.

#9 ·
Just w the eichbach anti roll bars you'll notice a difference (without lowering) that suspension upgrade alone is noticeable.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#14 ·
Its really important to do both the Lower control arm relocation brackets and adjustable PHB when lowering. That's about $300 of your $500 right there, and springs will cost a little more than $200. In my mind, I would get the more expensive items now since you have the extra money.

#15 ·
Thats in my budget, do I have to upgrade if I get all of these in the long run? And how is the drivability with this? Is it better than stock?

#16 ·
you will need the brackets to correct the suspension geometry once lowered, same as the panhard bar. They are things you "could" go without for now, but the performance of the car would suffer during corners, launches, shifts... As far as driveability, you will only notice a difference if they aren't there (when you're lowered).

Give Kelly at BMR a call if youd like and he can explain the brackets to you probably better than I can. The man knows his stuff.

#17 ·
I always appreciate your comments on here and I thank you for that, I changed my mind again... And will go for stripes and lower my stang. A lot of people on here will just get spring and phb. I don't track my car or anything just want that lowered look and at the same time won't sacrifice drivability. Do you think I can get away with it? Or after a year my car would drive really rough? Sorry I have no knowledge when it comes to lowering.

#19 ·
Is it with just the spring?

#23 ·
I'm not sure what others are using but if you go with the Pro kit you don't need all those suspension upgrades. I lowered it and then waited a week or so for an alignment. I took it in and even after lowering it it wasn't that far off. They made a couple of adjustments but they were minor and I was told I really didn't even need one.

#25 ·
I lowered mine, but I did a lot of other work at the same time. Struts, shocks, springs, Panhard bar and caster camber plates.

Not as rough a ride as I was expecting honestly. Stiffer than stock but perfectly livable.

I would definitely recommend the Panhard bar and at least the camber bolts if you go with the SR springs, it's a decent drop and you'll need to correct it.

My mild drop of my eibach pro kit springs needed correction and they only lower roughly an inch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#28 ·
Grab the eibach camber bolts. Only $30, your alignment will thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#29 ·
Got it.. I will do that.. If you don't mind me asking what is that for?

#30 ·
I totally understand what you saying and how lowering a vehicle works. However, the Pro kit is a very mild drop. If I was to use the Sportline kit I would have done a bunch of upgrades on the suspension because that's almost a 2" drop. Mine is half of that. I dont have the specs on my alignment anymore but I'm telling you it was super close to where it needed to be.

Is it bad to have the stuff youre talking about...no of course not. If hes not "slamming" it does he need to buy every thing right now to do it, my opinion is no. My car drives straight, handles well and not showing any camber wear. Ive had mine lowered for about 5 months now.

#32 ·
I'm just gonna do it all at once so I dont have to install all over again or add something else.. Do I need an alignment after all this?

#36 ·
I just did springs and bmr adjustable panhard bar.... I still haven't taken it for an alignment its been almost a month lol I keep forgetting since i have been so busy. Maybe next week. I did not install my camber bolts lol I forgot...

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#40 ·
+1, nothing wrong with getting plates but but I agree with Grabber.

#41 ·
Thank you guys for all the info.. I decided to get lowered. I got the phb, Springs, LCA and the bolts.. I figured I can always get the stripes after.. I will install this after I get back from my vacation.

#44 ·
The point of a new LCA is to resist deflection when putting weight on the axle. They're basically useless now since the geometry will be altered, and load isn't even going to be transferred to the axle.

Also, I've seen a few people mention their camber and everything was fine with no brackets. Yes, it is, because that is not a piece that effects camber. There is no part of an alignment that can correct for what the brackets do, plus there is no camber in the rear, and the fronts obviously behave independently of the rear axle.

#45 ·
Im at 10,000 feet right now so pls excuse me if im not thinking right, this is what i am going to get. Sr springs, LCA, PHB, and camber bolts. I should be all set with this right?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#51 ·
Ok ok... I'm a little confused here, so get the brackets, phb, Springs and camber bolts? Is this all good?

#53 ·
What the heck I'll go ahead and get the springs and phb. That's it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.