anyone cross-shop a Fiesta ST? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
anyone cross-shop a Fiesta ST?

I'm buying either a manual mustang v6 or fiesta st in the next month for a daily driver. I've seen some people who've gone from a mustang to the ST on fiesta forums, I'm curious if anyone decided on the mustang instead, and why. I've driven both and I think I'd be happy with either. My main criteria is, which is more fun to drive. Incentives at the moment would make the V6 base mustang about $16.5 before taxes, and the fiesta with recaro seats is right at $20k.

fiesta pros:
gas mileage, winter driving, cargo/passenger capacity (not a big deal for me), bells and whistles like LCD screen and pushbutton start

mustang pros:
non-turbo engine (probably more reliable), rwd, looks better, cheaper, will sound better with an exhaust, HIDs
avatar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The Fiesta is a joke compared to the mustang. The focus st is much better. The Fiesta may handle ok but there are better cars for that same price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I would think the focus st is more comparable to the mustang than the fiesta st.

You can't really sneeze at the mustang's 30mpg highway. I get 25-26 combined mpg. Plus you have more shoulder room in the mustang. The fiesta is abysmally small.

In all honesty they are completely different classes of vehicles. If you are in a snowbelt area and have minimal snow driving experience you may be better off with FWD but the turbo won't do you any favors.

I drove the focus st when I was shopping for a new car a couple years ago, I compared it to the mazdaspeed3, WRX, mustang and camaro. Build quality I would rate Mazda > ford > Subaru > chevy. The WRX won purely on the awd in the snow(I lived in colorado at the time). I wanted the mustang because it felt more solid and well I wanted a mustang, but again snow > rwd. The wrx turned out to be a quality nightmare, 6 warranty trips in 10 months, 1 of those months it sat in the shop for a whole transmission swap with 750 miles on the odometer. But now I'm getting off topic.

The ms3 and the ST felt comparable. I would give the nod to the ms3 on comfort and the better audio system. Now that I live in the desert I couldn't imagine not having my mustang, but if I ever went back to a boosted car it would be between the ms3 and the focus st.

The fiesta is just to small.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Most reviews I have seen of the fiesta st have been impressive. They say that it is one of the most fun cars they have ever driven - even the Top Gear guys said it was one of the best experiences they had ever had in a car fun-wise. It's not very fast in a straight line, but it handles like a golf cart with oversteer (somehow in a front wheel drive), taking hard corners on 3 wheels.

However, it is more than a little small for me, and I can't quite get over the way it looks. Kind of a little bubble half minvan. 99% of people will think you're just driving a regular fiesta - which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you're looking for.

Sometimes I think it would be fun to have the fiesta (windy mountain roads) but I think for most roads and driving conditions the mustang is more fun where I live (Texas), and is by far the best highway cruising car I have ever owned, as well as a great DD.

That would be a tough choice, but that deal on the mustang is hard to beat.
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
ttt
Registered Member
Regular

I'd personally rather go with the looks. You'll probably get more compliments from people when your in the stang than a fiesta. Then again, you'll have to decide on what style 'fits' you.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I test drove both ford ST cars and the mustang v6 and ended up with the mustang. I enjoyed the fiesta st and mustang about equally. some days I think i made the wrong choice and others i don't. I'm a small guy so the st actually fits me better and a little more comfortable to drive without the Recaros.
Cold Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
What's your actual size like? In the Focus ST it pushed my shoulders and lats forward- a really weird uncomfortable feeling, even just on the test drive. Even after a solid upper back day, the Mustang is NEVER as uncomfortable.

And you mentioned winter driving. [B]The very best thing in the world about a rear wheel drive car, is winter.[B\]

Just get the standard, and your mileage will be the same. Easy to make it even more fuel efficient. Better aftermarket. Mustang all the way.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'd say put more power in my daughters 2011 Fiesta and it would be dangerous to drive. My Mustang is a far superior car.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
more power in a lot of non-performance cars would be dangerous. that isn't what the ST is about. it has the chassis, steering, suspension, and braking mods to support the extra power. Ive driven in a regular fiesta myself and yeah... lots of body roll, cheap brakes. and unresponsive steering etc. that you would expect from a cheaper car like that. test drive the st version and you will think its a different car all together.
Cold Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
I'd say put more power in my daughters 2011 Fiesta and it would be dangerous to drive. My Mustang is a far superior car.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Fiesta ST is a purpose built daily driver/autocross car like the Focus ST or the Mustang V6 with performance pack.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
At the end of the day, a Fiesta or Focus ST are Fiestas and Foca attempted at sporty. While a Mustang is sporty, and attempting fuel economy after.

I'd just hop in all three and see what you like best.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Both are good

It all depends on what you want.
I was looking for a Focus when I spotted my Mustang. My Mustang was "LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT" and the novelty never wore off. It is a 2012 V6 auto MCA edition. I bought it brand new in 2011.
I'm so happy with my Mustang I find myself just going to the garage to look at it.

I have been to countless Muscle car shows and actually won awards. With my Mustang I joined two Clubs. ( One is a Muscle car club) It is just a fun car to drive, and enjoy which I think the Focus or fiesta although "ST" editions fall short of having the full time enjoyment only a Mustang can provide. I'm happy I went with the Mustang V6 3.7 Cyclone engine automatic transmission I have.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
not that it should matter but you will get lots of compliments on a Stang. idk but I doubt many people will go "Nice Focus" I will admit to while I like the Stang compared to a small tossable car it ain't fun to drive.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't know about you Mud-BUT___

I sure like driving my Mustang and it is a 2012 V6 like yours except mine is an automatic and I think you may have a stick.
I sometimes get up at 3 or 4 AM to just take a nice traffic free drive and listen to my Magnaflows and 50's or 60's music. Mine is a great driving car and if I was going to auto-X or was still tracking it would be a different story. But for just a good street driver it sure is be hard to beat. I'm sure this would not happen if I had bought a Focus like I was at the dealer to look for.
I had a Mini Cooper John Cooper Works before my Mustang and it was really fun to Auto-X and I loved it on the track but it was not a fun street driving car like my Mustang is. I had a 98 Corvette before the Mini and it was super fast but still not a great street driver. Both the Vette and Mini required effort and on it to be fun. My Mustang just cruises much better and still gets it on when I floor it.
Ronnie
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
View from the other side:

Fiesta ST vs Mustang V6
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think this guy was full of crap=djwhiplash2001

I have a 2012 V6 Mustang automatic with 2.73 rear axle ratio.
It works just fine. All you need to do is use 1st. 2nd, or 3rd. on the shifter if needed for auto-Xing. You can also lock out 6th. by just pushing a little button on the side of the shifter.
I did run a 13.3 second 1/4 with my Mustang with A set of Magnaflow streets and An Airaid CAI.
I also average around 24 to 26 Miles per gallon around town and better with mixed driving on regular 87 octane gas.

Those little cars are really nice, They are fun to drive, BUT They just don't have the same heritage and charisma that a Mustang has. They are great if you want one but I'm just happy I got my Mustang instead of the Focus I was looking for.

That guy can talk his self out of his Mustang but we will see how long that lasts before the novelty wears off off his new ST and he returns to Mustangs.

Ronnie
Old 11-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I went out and test drove the fiesta st yesterday for fun since I got off work early. I had read the raving reviews and wanted to see what it was all about to see what I was missing out on by not having a hot hatch. It does feel good right off the line (I have the 2.73s in the mustang), and it is definitely a very capable little car. It is nice how with the turbo, you can take a corner in second gear and give it gas and have it actually move forward, where in the mustang if I floor it in second going under 30 it just bogs down.

However it was a great feeling to get back in the big mustang after the test drive and drive home, I guess I just like the feel of a larger more powerful car. I'll definitely be looking to get a more aggressive gear ratio with the next car I buy though. On the way home trying to switch lanes in traffic - I'm going 20-30 in second and can't get enough power down to get ahead of a honda to merge over (end gear rant...).
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I know I'll probably get heat for this, but I feel like the Mustang is more of a grownup car.

Maybe the Fiesta would have interested me more as a high schooler. It just looks too Pinto-ish to me.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The thing is the V6 mustang, focus ST, and fiesta ST are all in the same general category to where there meant to be 'fun' daily drivers. They all have little differences and styling that make them appeal to different people. Although the mustang is a 'muscle' car by category with a V6 model unless you drop at least 5-6k into it your not going to hurt anyone's feelings. And the same can be said for any civic, etc. meaning if you drop enough money into something it can be fast.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang