3.73 Gear Swap Completed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
3.73 Gear Swap Completed

So, I've seen a ton of posts asking for first hand experience.

Just got my car back from the shop yesterday. (As an aside, if you're in the Oklahoma City area, highly recommend B&R Performance. Reasonable price and very fast. I dropped my car off at 4 Wednesday, they close at 6 and open at 7am and it was done by 9 am Thursday. )

I had pretty extensive work just to save labor costs and my car is fairly high mileage. 60, xxx.

3.73 Gears
Full rebuild kit
Traction LOK Carbon discs
Steeda Diff cover
Rear axle bearings and seals. (One was starting to go out and cause noise and a slight leak)
New gear oil and friction modifier.

First impression is its very much a different car. I haven't gone WOT just yet, since there was so much work done, I'm babying it for a short while to allow everything to settle.

The 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third change is a whole different animal even taking it easy.

I noticed slightly worse mileage, but that's to be expected.

The shop did good work, no noises, rattles, scrapes etc. Thankfully the whine from the worn axle bearing is now gone as well.

I did update my MPT tune before I left the shop just for peace of mind.

The only negative thing I have to say is now I'm getting a ton of drone from my exhaust at around 75-80, so I'll need to address that with some resonators, which I need to do anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
This is something I really want to do...bad. The problem is I dont want to tune it. My dealer isnt easy on stuff like this. Let us know after you "get on it"...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
That's a pretty quick turn around, especially for the work you had done.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
So, I've seen a ton of posts asking for first hand experience.

Just got my car back from the shop yesterday. (As an aside, if you're in the Oklahoma City area, highly recommend B&R Performance. Reasonable price and very fast. I dropped my car off at 4 Wednesday, they close at 6 and open at 7am and it was done by 9 am Thursday. )

I had pretty extensive work just to save labor costs and my car is fairly high mileage. 60, xxx.

3.73 Gears
Full rebuild kit
Traction LOK Carbon discs
Steeda Diff cover
Rear axle bearings and seals. (One was starting to go out and cause noise and a slight leak)
New gear oil and friction modifier.

First impression is its very much a different car. I haven't gone WOT just yet, since there was so much work done, I'm babying it for a short while to allow everything to settle.

The 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third change is a whole different animal even taking it easy.

I noticed slightly worse mileage, but that's to be expected.

The shop did good work, no noises, rattles, scrapes etc. Thankfully the whine from the worn axle bearing is now gone as well.

I did update my MPT tune before I left the shop just for peace of mind.

The only negative thing I have to say is now I'm getting a ton of drone from my exhaust at around 75-80, so I'll need to address that with some resonators, which I need to do anyway.

Very nice. Just wait until you can finally open her up!!!! My smile was from ear to ear when I opened mine after doing 3.73s! Congrats!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
This is something I really want to do...bad. The problem is I dont want to tune it. My dealer isnt easy on stuff like this. Let us know after you "get on it"...
Sure will, just letting 100-150 miles go by before I dig in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
That's a pretty quick turn around, especially for the work you had done.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

It was, so fast I was suspicious lol. Checked everything out and they showed me the old parts. They apparently have done hundreds of 8.8 rear ends so it was nothing to em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Very nice. Just wait until you can finally open her up!!!! My smile was from ear to ear when I opened mine after doing 3.73s! Congrats!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Thanks! I'm sure, can't wait to take it back to the track!

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang