A beginner's guide to modifying your V6 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
Good write up.

Could it be expanded to break it down to a bit more detail on each section? For example tuners, maybe a breakdown of the more popular brands of tuners, what they do and where to find more detailed info for each brand. Or exhaust, again the most popular brands, straight through vs chambered, build material etc. all while trying to keep opinions on what's best to a minimum.

You could almost have a separate sticky for all the major common areas of mod - tuners, suspension, exhaust, intakes, FI. That could really help IMO.

I have lost the ability to edit OP it seems (must have been edited too many times already) but at some point i can look to sit down and make something like this. I really do appreciate others input on this, its not something i want to take all the credit for (nor certainly be solely responsible for) so i appreciate any and all input.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I have lost the ability to edit OP it seems (must have been edited too many times already) but at some point i can look to sit down and make something like this. I really do appreciate others input on this, its not something i want to take all the credit for (nor certainly be solely responsible for) so i appreciate any and all input.
If you would like something edited then you can type it up in a PM to me and I should be able to copy and paste it into the post
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
That would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Great stuff!! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Great post ! Very informative ! But it ´s a costly post 😄 if you can't control yourself !

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Dcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #41

Region: Florida
niiiice. really appreciate it. answered plenty of my questions.
krl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Just did some searching around on here as well as a couple other forums I'm apart of and still no answer. maybe if anyone knows we can add this to the list:
Does changing out your over axel pipes improve the V6 performance?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Just did some searching around on here as well as a couple other forums I'm apart of and still no answer. maybe if anyone knows we can add this to the list:
Does changing out your over axel pipes improve the V6 performance?

I believe with most cars nowadays, changing anything after the cat will not change performance, just sound.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
I believe with most cars nowadays, changing anything after the cat will not change performance, just sound.
Thats what I was was thnking myself and what some of the other forums have said. Besides the midpipe there's no performance to gain from changing the exhaust.

I'm still seeing guys change out their over axel pipes and say its because they changed the midpipe and want to have an even flow. I don't know but its one of the first things people do to their cars is get a cat-back so before someone goes and dumps $700 on a set of mufflers and over axel pipes (which is all that any company offers as a "cat-back" for our cars) maybe we can find a definitive answer to this?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Here's another small bit of info. we can try to add to this section:
Tire Performance Categories Explained
Old 12-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

What about putting a police interceptor chip

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
What about putting a police interceptor chip

Care to Elaborate?
Old 12-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Care to Elaborate?
If you install it. Could it give your car problems, not really engine wise

bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have a link for what you're looking at? Not sure im familiar with that item.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

The best part of this is how it comes down to "leave the suspension alone". (upgrading bushings and other wear-related parts aside, of course) The engineers at Ford pretty much have set the car up to handle anything short of actual racing.

I will say that for me with other cars in the past, headers and gears were the best bang for the buck. I don't think my car needs them, though. It's already silly fast in typical Los Angeles traffic.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

LOL, I think even a bone stock Hyundai Accent is silly fast in the traffic.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I drove one of those when I had my mustang at the dealership. Man did I feel I was going so slow, felt like forever just to take off. When I had it I came across another Accent who waved at me I was like w/e man haha. Worst part of that rental was it didn't have tint, even my little sister was "I hate this car, it doesn't have tint to much sun heat coming in, I want yours back" lol
Old 12-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Ya....i owned a 2004...thing was built like it was a 89 honda
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
My dad owns a base 2010 Sonata. It's like driving a plastic fish bowl powered by hamsters.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Have you guys ever finished a long, late night at work, was just about to pull into your driveway, and decided to drive your mustang aimlessly around country back roads for half an hour instead, listening to the exhaust note and feeling the acceleration? That's what I just did, and it is an experience that plastic fish bowl drivers will never have.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Have you guys ever finished a long, late night at work, was just about to pull into your driveway, and decided to drive your mustang aimlessly around country back roads for half an hour instead, listening to the exhaust note and feeling the acceleration? That's what I just did, and it is an experience that plastic fish bowl drivers will never have.

Yep. I occasionally take back roads home just because I enjoy driving it. Or make excuses to go to the next town over lol

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post

MY office is in my house but usually once i stop I instantly jump in and go find a twisty back road. Best stress reliever ever. I like to think my stang keeps my blood pressure down

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fission View Post
Best stress reliever ever. I like to think my stang keeps my blood pressure down
Me too, overall, but when I'm on the entrance ramps and empty straight-aways it gets my blood pressure up
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I think we all do that at least every few weeks. It's no BMW, but it surely is a far cry from something like a Corolla.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:36 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Oooh country bavk roads...didn't have much in SoCal, but out in Mas, they are everywhere! Best feeling...can't wait to get home and take her out for a light cruise.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Yep. I occasionally take back roads home just because I enjoy driving it. Or make excuses to go to the next town over lol

I think we all do lol. My bro and I took off at the same time from school once (separate vehicles), he got to the house way first than me. When I got there he asked me what took me so long. Told him I took the back roads to spend more time with my mustang. He was like why. Told him I don't spend enough time with her and just wouldn't understand lol
Old 12-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
I think we all do lol. My bro and I took off at the same time from school once (separate vehicles), he got to the house way first than me. When I got there he asked me what took me so long. Told him I took the back roads to spend more time with my mustang. He was like why. Told him I don't spend enough time with her and just wouldn't understand lol

Lol I end up just leaving all the time to go driving. Lmfao

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #63
dlm
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Good info!
dlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #64

Region: Asia
That's really helpful.
Thanks
Itztriplea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itztriplea View Post
That's really helpful.
Thanks

Glad you liked it
Old 12-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
There's a link to my thread which covers tuning and tuners in heavy detail.
Exhaust has been and will be beat to death over and over again and people just do not read or listen.

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
HOLY ****ING **** YES!! Im so tired of seeing the same threads on here over and over "Im buying headers soon, should i get LT or Shorties? " (add a ****ing hello kitty gif in there as well)
Somebody with REAL power on this site...Voltwings, SoCalStang, ANYBODY?! Can we make it a requirement that new members HAVE to read this before joining into threads or Starting their own threads. Its such a waste of space that you cant find articles anymore in the search because EVERY thread has some post by an idiot about something that was covered extensively on another. try searching for grabber thread...i bet you it will be close to the bottom because its been pushed (no cheating by searching his SN either).

Also I push to ban or immediately close all threads started with some reference to "V6 vs V8"....its ****ing annoying...grow up.

OP!...Here it is...3rd from bottom! http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...archid=3926617
Old 12-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Its ... its going to be ok haha.

Though i must say, i do agree, which was part of the reason for wanting a thread like this. Ideally it would have Dynos and charts, datalogs, but i think many of us just like the time (or effort) to really make it that extensive of a database. At that point too, this thread would become just as difficult to find information in so ... its kind of a catch 22.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Was that a little too harsh?...

Not if it becomes a required read or a STICKY...something that sits above everything and needed along with 200 posts before people start their own threads at least with performance section. if there was a section for things like..."Weird vibrations" or someone who just wants an opinion about an issue they are having then they can post in that section all they want, but no more," WHICH CAI SHOULD I BUY? *teehee*"

Also we do have Dynos and charts...somewhere out there. if we can get some people to post up or email what they have already, we can filter it out get it set up properly and then re open a new thread (this one is good but now its hard to navigate) and make it a sticky. You cant post in it because it wil be locked, but there will be links to previouse threads and specific posts for people to easily navigate and PROPORLY educate themselves before they start blabbing their "knowledge" about how,"3" piping is mandetory if you want the most power when you turbo because they had that on their Honda blah blah blah..." *the voice of Jabba the hut choking to death*
Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

No, haha and you worded it just so elegantly

On Mazdaspeed forums (my first performance car and forum) You got a "Welcome PM," outlining the basic known issues of the Mazda: Address the high pressure fuel pump for the DI, address the soft rear motor mount, The Cobb Accessport is the preferred method of tuning... Newbs were expected to know at least that much, so there was a pretty low tolerance for redundant questions. I understand the mods want this to be a welcome and inviting forum, as well it should be, but it took some getting used to here and i do believe in at least a little effort being put in on behalf of the one asking the questions.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe there should be a required 10-15 comments within threads before new members can create their own topics, so that way they're forced to find those better threads and read em before they can ask their own questions.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang