A beginner's guide to modifying your V6 - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Was that a little too harsh?...

Not if it becomes a required read or a STICKY...something that sits above everything and needed along with 200 posts before people start their own threads at least with performance section. if there was a section for things like..."Weird vibrations" or someone who just wants an opinion about an issue they are having then they can post in that section all they want, but no more," WHICH CAI SHOULD I BUY? *teehee*"

Also we do have Dynos and charts...somewhere out there. if we can get some people to post up or email what they have already, we can filter it out get it set up properly and then re open a new thread (this one is good but now its hard to navigate) and make it a sticky. You cant post in it because it wil be locked, but there will be links to previouse threads and specific posts for people to easily navigate and PROPORLY educate themselves before they start blabbing their "knowledge" about how,"3" piping is mandetory if you want the most power when you turbo because they had that on their Honda blah blah blah..." *the voice of Jabba the hut choking to death*
This thread is already stickied
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I totally agree that members need to search more before they create new threads. However, a part of the problem is that the search feature on this site is gawd awful. I have much better luck searching using google. If you type "site:mustangevolution.com" at the end of the search in google it will restrict the results to just this website. It's way better than the search feature on ME.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
I totally agree that members need to search more before they create new threads. However, a part of the problem is that the search feature on this site is gawd awful. I have much better luck searching using google. If you type "site:mustangevolution.com" at the end of the search in google it will restrict the results to just this website. It's way better than the search feature on ME.
Truth. Several forums use this base Web design and it's poop. It needs an overhaul but of course that is expensive and time consuming.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
This thread is already stickied
Oh i was refering to a suggested NEW THREAD. Once we have gathered all info off this one, make a new one that has links to direct pics, posts or threads. Then Close it and Sticky it. (close it so no one can flood it with comments or questions and sticky it to keep it at the top at all times. That way it can be a reference vs typical thread ya know?)
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Oh i was refering to a suggested NEW THREAD. Once we have gathered all info off this one, make a new one that has links to direct pics, posts or threads. Then Close it and Sticky it. (close it so no one can flood it with comments or questions and sticky it to keep it at the top at all times. That way it can be a reference vs typical thread ya know?)
Ah ok. We have a thread similar to that in the 99-04 GT section as well
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Nice thread. Make one for V8s now 😉

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Catch cans...It's so damn retarded but what is up with catch cans and people being so damn certain that they magically help their car? Ya it makes sense. Oil gets into the intake manifold. Gets its way to the engine. We have all seen what happens when you don't change your oil regularly but come on. A shot of oil (1.5-2 Oz ) in a span of 1000 miles is so miniscule. Do we have any back up to this being an issue that justifies defending the use of a catch can so personally? How many of us really are going to keep our cars past 200k miles? By 160k I can see there being gunk built up. I've torn down some pretty nasty engines, most were driven daily as commuters for moderate drivers. Is it really that hard for people to just spray a carb or TB cleaner into there intake every now and then? You change your oil right? It's what I do, and merely thunk that paying $100 plus for something like that is a gimmick to get more money out of you by those companies.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Go Check that manifold porting thread I just posted, that manifold probably doesn't even have 40k miles on it and its pretty damn gross. I agree its probably insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I figure the ~$130 I spent is cheap enough insurance to do my car what favors I can.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Ya, I read a few good things that helped me understand the whole thing. Including that it decreases octane.
I saw that thread. Good info man. Though I've seen worse. Yours was really clean.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Ghost Cams... does anyone have any info on those saved in their Subscription page? that would be nice to have on here as well.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Ya, I read a few good things that helped me understand the whole thing. Including that it decreases octane.
I saw that thread. Good info man. Though I've seen worse. Yours was really clean.
I will post a picture of what I have collected since putting my separator on when I get back from vacation. Definitely worth it to me.

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

My prior argument t is that a catch can collects and condenses the oil vapors. Which is why you see it in the can as so much. When it enters the intake it's vapor and doesn't condense as much so the small amounts that enter really don't do a whole lot, but over time I can see it gunking things up. Anyway yes I'm looking into one that isn't $100 freaking dollers. Damn rip off.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
$100 is miniscule for a little peace of mind in my opinion. You can rig something up if you'd like or just choose to ignore it. Thats your choice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe for some but not mine. Ive seen my share of high mileage engines that look no dirtier than Voltz or Alfarrari (i can never get his name right, sorry Hassan) and they were stock motors being taken down for builds after already being boosted. I think there are many more factors involved like: how often you change your oil, the type of oil used, how good of a filter you have on your intake how hard you drive the car, how well you broke it in and just even how well it was built by the factory. Some guys are having issues with forgotten welds in the fenders and getting pools of water inside their cars as a result. Someone doesn't install the rings right, or backwards or whatever and you will have a lot more issues than just a little oil vapor entering your manifold. So ya, $100 is a lot more money in my opinion for something on the bottom of the overall big picture of things to worry about. That's just me playing devils advocate. Im looking around for one. maybe if i can find a used one or just rig one up as you said. You can sure find a ton of "universal" catch cans on ebay lol
Old 01-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

I bought one here for a bargain and thought maybe I will try it, so for the past past 200 miles since I installed it, I found about an Oz of milky oil in the can, this is after I drove it for an hour, it looks like whitish in color but after the oil cools off it turns into a dark color that looks like regular oil.. Paying full price for the can for me is not worth it but if you find a bargain doesn't hurt to try and peace of mind. I will take pictures next after 1000 miles of using it.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe for some but not mine. Ive seen my share of high mileage engines that look no dirtier than Voltz or Alfarrari (i can never get his name right, sorry Hassan) and they were stock motors being taken down for builds after already being boosted. I think there are many more factors involved like: how often you change your oil, the type of oil used, how good of a filter you have on your intake how hard you drive the car, how well you broke it in and just even how well it was built by the factory. Some guys are having issues with forgotten welds in the fenders and getting pools of water inside their cars as a result. Someone doesn't install the rings right, or backwards or whatever and you will have a lot more issues than just a little oil vapor entering your manifold. So ya, $100 is a lot more money in my opinion for something on the bottom of the overall big picture of things to worry about. That's just me playing devils advocate. Im looking around for one. maybe if i can find a used one or just rig one up as you said. You can sure find a ton of "universal" catch cans on ebay lol

Another thing to consider is standard vs auto. An auto will engine brake literally every time you're slowing down, which puts a large amount of vacuum on the crankcase, whereas most people who drive a standard will just push the clutch in and coast.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
I bought one here for a bargain and thought maybe I will try it, so for the past past 200 miles since I installed it, I found about an Oz of milky oil in the can, this is after I drove it for an hour, it looks like whitish in color but after the oil cools off it turns into a dark color that looks like regular oil.. Paying full price for the can for me is not worth it but if you find a bargain doesn't hurt to try and peace of mind. I will take pictures next after 1000 miles of using it.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Ew, milky? thats odd. maybe there was still some water in there from when it was cleaned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Another thing to consider is standard vs auto. An auto will engine brake literally every time you're slowing down, which puts a large amount of vacuum on the crankcase, whereas most people who drive a standard will just push the clutch in and coast.
That's a good point too. Also to go off that same idea of vacuum, a smaller port or pipe will create a larger vacuum (one of the reasons; aside from releasing crank case pressure why i drilled out and made larger PCV ports on my past vehicles) and therefore less oil vapor will be pushed out.

Voltz, here is the article i was referring to in regards to High Velocity porting. Its an interesting concept. Maybe you can decipher the science behind it?
Power News -- Think Fast--Intake Porting For Motorcycles and Cars
Old 01-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ew, milky? thats odd. maybe there was still some water in there from when it was cleaned?

That's a good point too. Also to go off that same idea of vacuum, a smaller port or pipe will create a larger vacuum (one of the reasons; aside from releasing crank case pressure why i drilled out and made larger PCV ports on my past vehicles) and therefore less oil vapor will be pushed out.

Voltz, here is the article i was referring to in regards to High Velocity porting. Its an interesting concept. Maybe you can decipher the science behind it?

It could be I used maf sensor cleaner when I was cleaning it.. I'll show you next time.

I felt 100 hp added after I installed it... Lol jk. 😂

shunc01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That is an interesting article ... going to need to do some more reading on that indeed.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Volt is there possibly a chart on what rpm each common gear choice makes at say 70 mph? To compare to 2.73s and show the impact on highway fuel consumption.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Volt is there possibly a chart on what rpm each common gear choice makes at say 70 mph? To compare to 2.73s and show the impact on highway fuel consumption.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Ive seen a chart somewhere but now i cant seam to find it.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post

The truth about gears..

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So i got a Barnes and Noble gift card from my little sister for Christmas and was flipping through some engine building books for kicks, and came across an interesting term: Mean Flow Velocity. Take a gander at the link below:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9J...page&q&f=false

In case anything gets mixed up, note the section titled: Relationship between primary pipe size, RPM, cylinder displacement, and torque. It breaks down what the "magic number" is for peak torque.

An excerpt from that book that i took a picture of (not technically illegal right lol? Ok fine, i have photographic memory) is as follows:
"Engineers have long recognized that this optumim flow path velocity is affected by cylinder displacement, compression ratio, and valve timing relative to piston position, which is controlled by stroke and rod length (rod/stroke ratio). Mean Flow Velocity is largely Governed by flow path cross sectionon the inlet and exhaust flow paths. A larger cross section requires more engine speed (rpm) to achieve MFV and position a peak torque. A smaller cross section shifts the torque to a lower engine speed.

So i think to answer your question, you'd basically need to be able to measure MFV of the intake and exhaust lol ... no big deal right. I'm sure theres some mathematical model for it, and this book actually mentions some "Affordable" engine modeling software that can be supposed on a basic computer (stupid me didnt think to take a picture of THAT), but i suppose that could be used to measure flow at various points... though i imagine thats getting beyond what your average hobbyist is willing and or capable of doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
The truth about gears.. - Mustang Evolution

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thanks for getting that!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Damn...ya thats a good read. Its a butterfly effect. You change one part, it affects another and another. The whole thing is changed depending on the modification.

Something interesting too is the gear chart listed here for the 3.7:
The truth about gears..

Shows a theoretical time loss going to 4.10s and avg best gear ratio is the 3.73s but 3.31-3.55 are both right behind by no more than 3-4 10ths so 3.31-.373 looks to be a "personal" choice...according to this chart.
I didnt see anything to the effect of gear to 65 mph/rpm...to determine possibility of drone in exhaust and mpg at hwy cruising speed.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:14 AM   #95

Great read everybody. I am starting my Mods and I am actually awaiting my JLT CAI and BAMA Tuner from AM. Cant wait to get them, trying to decide which MOD I want to get next,lol.
john21martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

All of them!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #97

What will boost my horse power for a 2014 mustang Gt. v6 3.7l convertible with 305 hp st

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
carranza187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #98
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
synthetic blinker fluid
Old 02-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
synthetic blinker fluid
Don't forget a light weight hydrolic booster for the front differential.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

You also need the slipstream canisters to catch the air to refill your nos tanks

Villain175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Hi I'm new to this. I currently drive a 1996 4.6 GT I'm debating wether to upgrade to a newer mustang and I'm set to test drive a 2014 (RED) v6 automatic this Friday. The dealer is asking 17 k for it. I am only 18, soon to go to college I work a part time job, I do not make much but I do make a decent amount of money. My question here is wether to wait and purchase a 5.0 ? (Save much more) or go for that v6?

GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:23 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCaMuscle View Post
Hi I'm new to this. I currently drive a 1996 4.6 GT I'm debating wether to upgrade to a newer mustang and I'm set to test drive a 2014 (RED) v6 automatic this Friday. The dealer is asking 17 k for it. I am only 18, soon to go to college I work a part time job, I do not make much but I do make a decent amount of money. My question here is wether to wait and purchase a 5.0 ? (Save much more) or go for that v6?

18 and college? Just keep driving the 96 GT and stay away from payments for awhile longer. I didn't get my first car loan until 24, and even then it was small, more for building credit than because I needed a car. Just my advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
95Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm turning 19 soon, thanks

GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #104
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on delayed gratification. You'll have enough to spend $ on w/o car payments.

.02 from older guy
Old 02-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

I moved in and out of my dorm in an 01 mustang, and i had subs in the trunk. I'd say unless its costing more in maintenance than its worth to just keep the current car for now, though i certainly understand the appeal of a new car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang