A beginner's guide to modifying your V6 - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
I have a question about the SCT bama tuners. Do the SC3 and SC4 come preloaded with the same tunes? Is it dangerous to buy a used one?
The SCT is simply a device to transfer tunes to the car, and the 4 is just a newer and nicer version of the 3 with more features, but their core function is still the same.

These tuners, depending on who you buy them from new, can come preloaded with any tune. If you buy from Bama it will have a bama tune, from MPT it will have an MPT tune... When buying used, you need to make sure the tuning device has been "unmarried" from the previous owners vehicle, otherwise you cannot use it. If the tuner is unmarried, you can receive emailed tunes from any of the big companies and just load them up on the device yourself, hope this helps.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 07:09 AM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The SCT is simply a device to transfer tunes to the car, and the 4 is just a newer and nicer version of the 3 with more features, but their core function is still the same.

These tuners, depending on who you buy them from new, can come preloaded with any tune. If you buy from Bama it will have a bama tune, from MPT it will have an MPT tune... When buying used, you need to make sure the tuning device has been "unmarried" from the previous owners vehicle, otherwise you cannot use it. If the tuner is unmarried, you can receive emailed tunes from any of the big companies and just load them up on the device yourself, hope this helps.
I see. So even if I pick up a used one, I will be able to get the Bama street tune from them? I just email them and ask for it?
Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Correct, though i would check their website, most tuning companies will want you to fill out a form with information from your vehicle. Just do your research here, people are usually pretty vocal about which tunes they like and which tunes they dont There's actually a very good link in the OP to check out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I figured I would post in this since it sounds like a noob question and I don't want to make a pointless new thread asking what I feel would be an already asked a million times question.

Can springs ment for an 05-14 fit a 2011-2012 V6 properly?
I got the RTR springs from...well his SN is RTR lol and just saw the size of the springs. They look huge. Then again I havnt seen springs for our cars in person that havnt been installed before.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

They should "fit," but i dont know that it will give you the ride height or performance you want. Thats all going to come down to the spring rate, which isnt often advertised.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
They should "fit," but i dont know that it will give you the ride height or performance you want. Thats all going to come down to the spring rate, which isnt often advertised.
RTR Tactical
Front: 228 lb/in.
Rear: 199.5 lb/in.

looks decent...a little soft in the rear but then again Im not sure what stock is so it may just be perfect.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:11 AM   #147
Kevin.Cook

I tried searching but cannot find anything with numbers. Has anyone seen any hard numbers that compared the Steeda cai vs say k&n typhoon or airaid's? I currently have the Airaid Synthamax and I know it doesn't do alot really.

Since I have the BBK tb, shorties, and tune, i figured i may get a couple of ponies from the Steeda cai?

Any thoughts?

Also, would shaving the fins behind the TB do anything as far as better performance when coupled with other supporting mods?

I would imagine by smoothing out the airway, it could only lead to be beneficial. Just like replacing the stock intake tube with a smooth one to eliminate the baffles?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Smoothing out the intake will defiantly help. How much. Who the hell knows. But if you have more air coming in than going out that's also not to good. If you've got any stock exhaust component left get rid of them to allow the motor to breath at its full potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I tried searching but cannot find anything with numbers. Has anyone seen any hard numbers that compared the Steeda cai vs say k&n typhoon or airaid's? I currently have the Airaid Synthamax and I know it doesn't do alot really.

Since I have the BBK tb, shorties, and tune, i figured i may get a couple of ponies from the Steeda cai?

Any thoughts?

Also, would shaving the fins behind the TB do anything as far as better performance when coupled with other supporting mods?

I would imagine by smoothing out the airway, it could only lead to be beneficial. Just like replacing the stock intake tube with a smooth one to eliminate the baffles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Smoothing out the intake will defiantly help. How much. Who the hell knows. But if you have more air coming in than going out that's also not to good. If you've got any stock exhaust component left get rid of them to allow the motor to breath at its full potential.

What primal said. There is not going to be much of a noticable improvment over stock intake unless you have a few other supporting mods and I say this now but a DATALOG. Get yourself BAMA tunes for life. add parts and get it data logged to get a TRUE customized tune. Since doing that i notice a major difference when running said Datalogged tune with stock intake and KN filter and running my CAI.

If you are just running a stock or basic "canned" tune then you wont get much other than sound and a pretty cool looking engine.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

What does a 87 Bama tune do to your gas mileage?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Nothing. Bama 87 tune is basically useless in general

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Well mostly want to fix my ****ty shift points and 1st gear lurches during a slow stop. Maybe some throttle response would be nice too.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Doesn't it help those things?
Old 06-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The biggest help for these cars is getting rid of the mile high stock gearing. As for the lurches, I just put it in neutral when coming to a complete stop.

The only two mods that I've done to mine ( so far ) are the transmission mount insert and the Blowfish racing bracket. It vibrates and makes more noise, as it should. But shifts are as clean as any European sport sedan.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you may get better responses to exactly what your interest and concerns are if you started a new thread.
Also, try to spell out all your questions and be specific as possible.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Great guide for beginners, appreciate the effort

Odai1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
This thread has been immensely helpful to someone who know very little about the workings of a car not too long ago. Thanks for the detailed write-up!
VeryVeryEvilGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryVeryEvilGuy View Post
This thread has been immensely helpful to someone who know very little about the workings of a car not too long ago. Thanks for the detailed write-up!
Glad it helped!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

had some question but not anymore thanks!
mustangmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #159
Kevin.Cook

I want to add a lot of power and style to my car but don't want to be like everyone else. Should I get Pypes Axlebacks, an Airaid Cold Air Intake, or Bullitt rims?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I want to add a lot of power and style to my car but don't want to be like everyone else. Should I get Pypes Axlebacks, an Airaid Cold Air Intake, or Bullitt rims?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This made me laugh at work. Thanks for that.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #161
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryVeryEvilGuy View Post
This made me laugh at work. Thanks for that.
I aim to please sir! But seriously though....this is pretty much the norm.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

LOL
Old 10-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

I know, that's why I found it so funny. When I was looking into my first mods, I browsed AmericanMuscle all the time, reading their articles and product reviews. Those items kept being recommended and popping up all the time so that might be one of the reasons why most people start with those.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #164
Kevin.Cook

No it is because they are usually pretty cheap. Used Airaids for sale all over the place. Pypes is like one of THE cheapest Axleback systems iirc.

I will admit I got my tridents because they were cheap and I was just trying to get a bunch of mods with a certain budget. But they aren't AS bad as Pypes imo.

I guess it is all personal taste.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No it is because they are usually pretty cheap. Used Airaids for sale all over the place. Pypes is like one of THE cheapest Axleback systems iirc.

I will admit I got my tridents because they were cheap and I was just trying to get a bunch of mods with a certain budget. But they aren't AS bad as Pypes imo.

I guess it is all personal taste.
Thats a big factor. Personal taste.

Most people HATE the Pypes which is why you will see so many for sale used and the Airaids, not sure why.

Maybe they bought it thinking they will gain 15 hp and when they realized that its 15hp spread all across the power band and NOT peak they decide to "get their money back" .

Thats another thing These companies will sell you a product but almost none will offer a refund unless its defective.
You dont like the sound, it doesnt produce the power you thought it would...they just say "Oh well. Your loss" ....

Now if this is not true than by all means i may just want to get a name brand product to try it and if i dont like it return it.... reminds me of my Mega Air Spacer LOL...I want to use it...ive seen the before and after dyno sheets from several people who have them, but mine doesnt work with my tune...it acts like poop and i would love to return it but they wont accept it. its now used.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #166
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
We have something like this already in place, and the topics in the first post are already there. The way it works is that if you have a suggestion or submission, PM a moderator, and they will add it to the existing sticky in the "Mustang DIY and Technical" Forum":
Sticky for Common/popular Mustang mods
Old 01-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #167

Region: Michigan
2012 v-6 manual suspension

Am new to the site and am having trouble finding how to post a new question.
Most specifically about suspensions. Came across your thread and was impressed.
Good information to start.
senior member....by age
jrstang
jrstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstang View Post
Am new to the site and am having trouble finding how to post a new question.
Most specifically about suspensions. Came across your thread and was impressed.
Good information to start.
senior member....by age
jrstang
Thank you. If you have any additional questions, i recommend searching the site via google since the on board search feature isnt great ( i feel this way about every forum).

For example, i would type: "3.7 mustang suspension help mustangevolution" into google, and it will pull up links to threads with similar wording on this site. Good luck, and welcome.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #169
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Thanks volt. This has helped me out for future plans.

2012 performance white, performance package, MCA package, HID headlights, BAMA 93R tune, JLT cold air intake
Old 02-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #170
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
I see. So even if I pick up a used one, I will be able to get the Bama street tune from them? I just email them and ask for it?
Also note that the SCT4 DOES have a box tune on it. So, if you buy a used one first make damn sure the seller UNMARRIED the device. Then second, make sure you RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT when you get the device. Third, connect the SCT via wifi and UPDATE the tuner with the latest files.

Now, after all of that, if I were you I would try the box tune that comes with the SCT4. I chose 91 octane for better compression, and set my max rev at 7000, then removed the max speed. The box tune actually greatly improved the dumbed down stock tune of my auto transmission and my Mustang's overall performance was greatly improved.

I would only pay for a "custom tune" if my Mustang was heavily modded. Otherwise you're wasting your money.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #171

Region: Arizona
voltwing you helped me to decide KEEP IT STOCK is the best answer... first time i have read something totaly on the mark . thanks for the thread. I'm new to this site but not to owning a mustang, i have two of them right now and had a total of four, 65 pony, 68 , 99 and now 2016 the only car that matters...
AZMustang2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMustang2016 View Post
voltwing you helped me to decide KEEP IT STOCK is the best answer... first time i have read something totaly on the mark . thanks for the thread. I'm new to this site but not to owning a mustang, i have two of them right now and had a total of four, 65 pony, 68 , 99 and now 2016 the only car that matters...
These v6s are a ton of fun when exposed to a few mods, so hopefully it wont stay stock too long . Glad to see you found this write up helpful though.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #173
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'd like to thank you as well Volt, for the guide. I recently got my tuner and wow does it drive so much more aggressively. Getting my 3.73 gears installed this week can't wait to see how it drives then.
fallenx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:55 AM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
good article. I keep telling my gf how her V6 needs better gears and a tune. maybe she'll get it when the warranty is over.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #175

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliknik View Post
good article. I keep telling my gf how her V6 needs better gears and a tune. maybe she'll get it when the warranty is over.

To be honest that what I'm doing I'm waiting for the warranty to be done next year and then hit it with mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Musta
Fidel67Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang