Things needed for FI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Things needed for FI

Ok guys I'm 2 weeks out to ordering a turbo kit from LPF and wanted to start a list of all things needed to complete this project. I would like to maximize the installation so it isn't a ongoing project. I figured a good boost gauge from speed hut, some type of air/fuel gauge and a good fuel pressure gauge. A good brand BAP(perhaps Kenne Bell),retrofitted gt over axle pipes(2.75"). Crankcase breathers or oil catch can? I currently have a BBK throttle body just not sure if it would net extra hp or not. Was also thinking about a intercooler chiller kit. My car will run on 93 octane as there aren't any e85 station where I live .nittos nt555r 305/45/18 sitting in my garage waiting to get mounted and upper and lower control arms also. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated . .

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Daveauth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If ur wanting to maximize hp without on going project... Then I'd say forge it..

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
If ur wanting to maximize hp without on going project... Then I'd say forge it..

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This. Depending on how far you're from LPF guys and how deep your pockets are, I believe they will do turbo + install + forge your engine for 10k.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I should have said maximize the install I live a few hours away from my installer/tuner so I only want to make one trip to drop it off then one trip to pick it up . I'm not trying to make a 600 hp beast , I just want to get as much power out of 8psi that I can as my goal is 450rwhp . The built engine will come summer of 2015 then I will turn up the boost.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I just want to make sure I have everything need for my install at the time of drop off. Is there anything else that might be need ed that I didn't mention?

Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Shorty headers if you don't have those already (you'll only end up using one manifold but it's still better than rocking 1 factory manifold). Catless X pipe.

Eventually you should see about the driveshaft if you haven't already, not "necessary" but I'd recommend it soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Shorty headers if you don't have those already (you'll only end up using one manifold but it's still better than rocking 1 factory manifold). Catless X pipe.

Eventually you should see about the driveshaft if you haven't already, not "necessary" but I'd recommend it soon.

I'd pass on the headers honestly, not worth buying a set to use one IMO

What you need is a driveshaft, and something sort of breather or catch can setup.
I'm not talking about Jlt, you need one that doesn't route back into the intake.

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I'd pass on the headers honestly, not worth buying a set to use one IMO

What you need is a driveshaft, and something sort of breather or catch can setup.
I'm not talking about Jlt, you need one that doesn't route back into the intake.

The real... boss 227
He mentioned he was getting the can. The Mishimoto one looks like a good choice. I don't like the clear hose with it, but you can always get different hose.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Whatever you get, it needs to have Silicone reinforced hose. The typical 5/8" stuff from autozone is like $1/ft, but it will collapse under vacuum, and isn't rated for PCV gases and will eventually start to corrode. Trust me, you'll want to go to O'reileys and get you some silicone reinforced. Its like $10/ft so measure twice, cut once, but it will do you worlds of good.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to see a picture of the can, if possible

The real... boss 227
Old 09-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd like to see a picture of the can, if possible

The real... boss 227
Here you go. http://m.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-catch-can.html

If I decide to go FI, I'm getting this one or perhaps the Moroso. But that one is enormous.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Here you go. http://m.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-catch-can.html

If I decide to go FI, I'm getting this one or perhaps the Moroso. But that one is enormous.

Not bad, but i don't see a breather :p
Hahaha

The real... boss 227
Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not bad, but i don't see a breather :p
Hahaha

The real... boss 227
Yeah, that one doesn't have one. The Moroso does though.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You can run both, I designed a clever little system on my last car. Basically it will function like stock through a sealed can for daily driving, then kick over to a vented can for WOT. A little more pricey, but the best of both worlds. I'll whip out a diagram if you want.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Daveauth 21 asked this question ?????????????????

Quote:
Things needed for FI
The number one component you will need is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ "A lot of it."

The second thing you really need is someone that knows what they are doing to install your FI. If you find someone they should be the ones to pick up what you need.

That is why you need a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The number one component you will need is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ "A lot of it."

The second thing you really need is someone that knows what they are doing to install your FI. If you find someone they should be the ones to pick up what you need.

That is why you need a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ronnie
Install isn't too important,
What's really important is the tune!

The real... boss 227
Old 09-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The tune is really important

I'm saying that the installer would need to get everything needed to do the install without messing anything up.( Including a dyno tune)
There are a lot of butchers out there that don't know what the hell they are doing but want your money anyway.
A reputable shop that is capable of having a person end up with a fast reliable car will charge a lot more then a fly by night that will do it cheaper but as we all know.
"YOU USUALLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

I'm lucky living here in Florida because there are several places that would do a Turbo or Supercharger installation "TUNE INCLUDED" but they don't do it cheap.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have a driveshaft and 3.73s already plus I'm have StangHi in Baton Rouge do the install and tune so tune should be good to go. As for the catch can I haven't decided on which brand to purchase. I saw the one that alrefire has, that thing is huge just waiting for him to mount before I purchase that one.i didn't plan on Chang out just the passenger manifold out just seems like a waste of money just to use one side.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I personally believe its best to install things yourself. It familiarizes you with the system, and better equips you to diagnose anything thats gone wrong. We all know that guy at the car meets:
Cool car man, whats done to it?
-Ughh idk, i just dropped it off at the shop
How much boost are you running
- ughhh i think its a smaller pulley, the shop did it
What are you using for crankcase pressure?

You catch my drift. Wrenching is not for everyone, i've messed up, been pissed off, did things wrong, but at the end of the day you learn a lot more from an install that goes wrong than from one that goes right. You just have to be willing to stick with it. Also saves you the trouble of having to take the car back to the shop if something little goes wrong. To each his own though, most shops will charge a LOT to install a power adder.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Things needed for FI

I'm a machinist by trade and would like to do the install myself but I'm currently recovering from a distal bicep tendon tear so my right arm has no strength and limited movement

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang