Catalytic Converter Out Possibly - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Catalytic Converter Out Possibly

Rode around today and got P0420 DTC. Seems the efficiency of my high flow cat is degraded.

I'm going to check the temperature on bank 1 to see if it's actually the cat, or one of these goofy *** BBK extensions.

If it's the cat, I think I may go ahead and get a Catless X, this cates pipe has been a bit of an annoyance. I got some resonators in today that I planned on using regardless, so it should help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Rode around today and got P0420 DTC. Seems the efficiency of my high flow cat is degraded.

I'm going to check the temperature on bank 1 to see if it's actually the cat, or one of these goofy *** BBK extensions.

If it's the cat, I think I may go ahead and get a Catless X, this cates pipe has been a bit of an annoyance. I got some resonators in today that I planned on using regardless, so it should help.

More than likely it's the extension.
They're notorious for having problems
Let us know how it goes

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I've decided to go ahead and spring for the catless X. I should have the install done by my exhaust shop this weekend. I'd do it myself but I'm having them weld in some 18" resonators as well.

Eager to see what it sounds like. Obviously expecting more volume, but hopefully it won't be horribly raspy with the resonators. Really just tired of effing with these high flow cats' problems.

I'll try to get some ride-along footage when it's done. The last exhaust video I did, my camera's mic kept cutting in and out.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I was getting the same error a few days ago. I went back to stock and the CEL went away. Reloaded my MPT tune and still no CEL. Im kinda worried it'll pop back up, but so far so good. This was with the Catted BBK xpipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToP View Post
I was getting the same error a few days ago. I went back to stock and the CEL went away. Reloaded my MPT tune and still no CEL. Im kinda worried it'll pop back up, but so far so good. This was with the Catted BBK xpipe.

Interesting. I might give that a try as well. Thanks. It did actually happen a few days after I had updated a tune.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

A quick update for anyone interested. Out of curiosity, I tried ToP's advice of reloading back to stock and then reflashing the tune Friday. So far the CEL is gone for the cat. *fingers crossed*, either way I'm still going ahead with the X and resonator swap but I thought that was a bit strange.

Glad it worked though!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
A quick update for anyone interested. Out of curiosity, I tried ToP's advice of reloading back to stock and then reflashing the tune Friday. So far the CEL is gone for the cat. *fingers crossed*, either way I'm still going ahead with the X and resonator swap but I thought that was a bit strange.

Glad it worked though!
If you get a chance id be interested in seeing where you have the resonators welded in and how it sounds.

Have LT's and O/R x and still debating on what to do.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fission View Post
If you get a chance id be interested in seeing where you have the resonators welded in and how it sounds.

Have LT's and O/R x and still debating on what to do.

Yup, I'll try to make a video when it done. You want the resonators close to the x pipe. The rasp comes from the x pipe mostly, LTS mostly create more volume. I'll likely place mine right behind the x pipe if I have the clearance.

The resonators I bought were Vibrant 18" long, 4" case diameter with 2.5" in/outs.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the heads up. Ill look into the vibrant ones. Appreciate it.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Catalytic Converter Out Possibly

I dunno why this posted twice
Brandneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

This is where my resonators were welded in Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1412124111.267009.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	167137

Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Tks for the photo

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yep thanks. That's right where I was thinking of. Did you go 18 or 22"?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

the guy that installed them was a friend of my parents and just had these resonators around his shop I'm pretty sure they are 18" tho

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang