Shelby spoiler + reverse camera - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Shelby spoiler + reverse camera

Hey guys!

Expecting my carbon fiber shelby spoiler few days from now. Few more Sanding, finishing & polishing. ...

I can remember reading a post wherein the reverse camera was incorporated in the shelby spoiler... too bad I can't find the thread.

1. Any idea how this can be done?

2. Any other spot where I can place the camera? (If not in the spoiler itself... since the camera will be tilted downward)

3. Haven't experienced removing stock spoiler from a stang. Is it just simply sticked with a double sided tape? Or there are screws underneath? Any easy step by step removal & install tips?

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411676297205.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	166864  
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Shelby spoiler + reverse camera

I'm not sure about incorporating the camera but in order to remove your existing spoiler, you'll need to take off the liner inside the trunk then remove the screws holding the spoiler. Once the screws are off, apply tape along the spoiler so you don't scratch the paint and run a fishing wire to break the seal from the double sided tape (there's other ways to remove it but I found this a little easier). If you apply heat to the spoiler with either a heat gun or just leaving it outside for a while in the sun should make it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaighost View Post
Hey guys!

Expecting my carbon fiber shelby spoiler few days from now. Few more Sanding, finishing & polishing. ...

I can remember reading a post wherein the reverse camera was incorporated in the shelby spoiler... too bad I can't find the thread.

1. Any idea how this can be done?

2. Any other spot where I can place the camera? (If not in the spoiler itself... since the camera will be tilted downward)

3. Haven't experienced removing stock spoiler from a stang. Is it just simply sticked with a double sided tape? Or there are screws underneath? Any easy step by step removal & install tips?

Thanks guys!
This might be the one you were thinking of. Back Up Camera in GT Spoiler. It's in the GT/CS spoiler, but the concept is the same. When you remove your factory spoiler, there "should" be an extra hole where the oem back-up camera wires would have passed through. If not, you can make you own. You cut a hole in the same spot on your new spoiler, as well as one where you are mounting the backup camera on the spoiler, maybe in the recess where the third brake is. Feed the wires in one end and out the other. When you go to install the spoiler, just feed the wires down into your trunk area. From there, the wire routing depends on the kit and personal preference.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 01:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Carbon Shelby Spoiler done... trying to sort out the reverse camera...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-30-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

X
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1412060179869.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	167105   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412060191927.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	167106  

Name:	1412060247199.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	167107  
Old 09-30-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like I will not be able to put the camera coz we will not be able to close it if we cut it open because it's carbon fiber..

Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #7
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
That sucks. You could invest in a camera that mounts at the top of the license plate.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yah man... or run the existing camera to the license plate and drill a hole?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Carefull with "obvious" cameras; the ones mounted on the license plates draw attention to theives that you have a costly head unmit in the car.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Can you take a picture of what's under the felt on your rear lid? ie: what wiring harnesses are where. I just wanted to see something, it seems like there are too many wires going to the faux gas cap, so I thought the back up camera wires may actually tap off of that same harness. I've heard of some people already having the harness there, which I don't think I do unless the wires are in that bundle going to the faux gas cap.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry rizzle. .. I have locked up everything back.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You can't take a small flat head screwdriver & 2 minutes to pop out a few plastic clips.... FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF THE MUSTANG COMMUNITY?
Old 09-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Nice try! :p

Old 10-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, yeah.... but I am serious about helping community out as I was going to write a nice detailed install guide about installing the back up cameras with specific information for people looking to add the OEM back up camera spoiler as those take offs can be found on ebay often in your car's color already for cheap.

Right now I'm in the research stages before I go taking everything apart and wiring things up. I'm pretty sure my guide could save people a lot of time & money if they can follow it easily, install themselves and then just pay the dealer (I assume a small fee) to unlock headunit vs. buying lockpick for almost $300.

My "guide" for installing aftermarket radios in to Porsche Caymans was kind of the "go-to" resource. I collected information from a few other "guides" compiled the information and explained everything in my thread. (you can see it here: CDR-24 w/Bose to Kenwood DNX6960 self install )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang