Opinions on Roush CAI? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Opinions on Roush CAI?

I got the Roush Axle backs installed today and while at the dealer I was browsing the Roush catalog and found the CAI. I'm a touch OCD about having matching brands so naturally I'm attracted to it because Roush.

Does anyone have this?

Thoughts on quality?

How does it compare to brand X(Airaid etc)?

What can I expect in terms of sound with the axle backs?
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have JLT CAI and gives a nice whooooshhh lol

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you do some research on here and even look at the pictures Roush CAI's are exactly the same as Airaid as Airaid makes the Roush's they just rebrand them and charge you more. As far as quality its good but so is Airaid since its the same intake.

From what I've read they improve sound and look good but don't expect any gains as the stock airbox is actually a CAI and flows fine. And actually the same intake is used on the V6, GT, and BOSS; so if it can support a 440 HP car I doubt it would be restrictive on a 305 HP car.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The stock box is not a "CAI" as people take it. Someone started that rumor long ago because it is in a sealed container, basically. The benefit of cold air induction kits like the Roush/Airaid is that it is as far away as possible from the engine. That's where the heat is. There is also a shield keeping the warm air away from the intake. Unlike the stock box pulling air from the warm engine bay, these have air forced in from the headlamp area.

A tune will bring out more benefits from it. It will hurt your fuel economy. I have felt like there is better response and leas struggle at WOT, but I have no data to back that up. When I first got my Mustang, I would drive up a very steep hill near my job. WOT up the hill with stock air box felt...lacking. Almost like gasping for air. I did not feel this with the R/A CAI.

People will state that dyno shows no difference. But one thing unrealized and in accounted for is air pressure. Sitting still with a fan blowing does not create the same pressure into the CAI as moving air by car at 0 through 100+ mph.

If one has seen the TG with the Bugatti Veyron max speed run, James May describes traveling through air at different speeds. Like forced induction, traveling through the air forces more air in, being denser as it is cooler outside air.

Is it worth it? Maybe. Does it make a difference? Yes. Doing it again, the better feel was not worth the FE hit.

Also note, Roush branding on it is lame. It looks like a stamp made by an exacto knife.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
The stock box is not a "CAI" as people take it. Someone started that rumor long ago because it is in a sealed container, basically. The benefit of cold air induction kits like the Roush/Airaid is that it is as far away as possible from the engine. That's where the heat is. There is also a shield keeping the warm air away from the intake. Unlike the stock box pulling air from the warm engine bay, these have air forced in from the headlamp area.
You do realize how stupid this sounds? A CAI kit like Roush/Airaid are CAI because its as far away from the engine as possible? It is in the exact same location as the factory air box. And the stock air box does not pull air from the engine bay, it has a factory CAI setup where it pulls air from a duck in the bumper. Not all factory cars do this but the 11-14 Mustangs do.

If you look at the air aid kit the base piece actually connects to the lower factory intake system that pulls air in from the bumper so if anything at idle the air aid is going to pull in more hot air because it is exposed. And there have actually been people who noticed slightly increased IAT's when they switch.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I disagree with you UltArc. Here's where the stock box pulls air from, which aftermarket CAI's utilize as well. From my 2010 GT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Oct 02, 12 38 35 AM.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	167218  
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The unit itself is from the same location, but the R/A (and the rest, I would imagine) block air from getting in from the side or rear- which is where the engine air is.

That box still pulls in warm engine air. There is no separation or boundary or engine air to just outside air. The R/A intake attempts this.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1412248878719.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	167223  
Attached Images

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I really didn't mean to poke the hornets nest on this one. I wasn't really looking at the performance(or lack of) aspects or even get into that argument. I was more into looking at quality vs competitors.

From what I've seen(above in post 2) and elsewhere, they are basically Airaid intakes with Roush badging. Great! Now about price, between Roush's site and AM, they are comparable by about $30 and if I can get one that says Roush on it, it's worth it for my OCD.

Now will it impact sound? The Roush axle backs are great as they sit on my otherwise bone stock car. I understand I should get more engine sound up front. Is that correct? Will it do anything to the exhaust tone?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I got both at the same time- I don't think so, but couldn't really speak to it.

I hear it makes a sound up front, but I barely hear it. Sometimes with the windows down in a parking lot next to a building and driving slowly, yes lol. Maybe my music and exhaust is just too loud.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
for that same $30 you can get meds that will help with the OCD.......

seriously I scored a used Airaid for sound alone and am very happy with it. I will give the hint that when you work on it to put a rag in the lower snorkle so if/when you drop something it will be easy to get it out without having to go digging.

i doubt it changes exhaust but I can hear it in the cabin
Old 10-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I still don't understand. How do aftermarket CAI's block the hot engine air the stock box pulls in if they utilize the same grille duct as the factory box?

You also have to think, while going forward, cold air is 'pushed' into the grille duct. With that in mind and the warm engine bay air being behind the grille duct, the grille duct would have to really make an effort or being sucking a ton of air (using up all the cold air being pushed in front of it) to start sucking in air behind or to the side of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 1.18.05 PM.png
Views:	147
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	167248  
Old 10-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
for that same $30 you can get meds that will help with the OCD.......

seriously I scored a used Airaid for sound alone and am very happy with it. I will give the hint that when you work on it to put a rag in the lower snorkle so if/when you drop something it will be easy to get it out without having to go digging.

i doubt it changes exhaust but I can hear it in the cabin

I have meds.... But I can't be assed to be OCD enough to remember taking em. :p

Talked to my dealer today, going to order up the cai and front and rear sways in like 2 weeks.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The CAI does change the exhaust noise. But I really only noticed it with my stock exhaust. It gave a nice little growl when I get on it.

It probably does it mow, but since I have full aftermarket exhaust, I don't have a comparison.

What it does still do noticeably is a small whistle on gear change/throttle acceleration. It's kind of fun. Haha.

As for performance, it's very minimal. The biggest thing is the intake tube itself is less resitrictive. Not that's its a cold air intake. As others have mentioned both the stock and aftermarket intakes. (At least the proper ones with the snorkel connector) pull air from the exact same place.

The thought that the aftermarket would get cooler air bearing in mind both designs is a bit silly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
I have meds.... But I can't be assed to be OCD enough to remember taking em. :p

Talked to my dealer today, going to order up the cai and front and rear sways in like 2 weeks.
I'm OCD too. I want a Ford Racing theme, so heck, I may end up selling my RTR rims and exhaust for FRPP rims and exhaust later, I'd just powder coat the exhaust tips and rims matte black.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Driving through the country, so service is lame and as usual this ME application is acting up- so please forgive these multiple posts, as I am trying to get this up.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Image 1; the closed off area. This stops air from coming in from the sides. Air is only coming in from the intake at the grille and from the headlamp area.

Image 2; where the air comes in, essentially being forced into the intake, as it has nowhere else to go.

Image 3; the closed off tube that leads into the front end. No engine bay air gets in.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1412372306448.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	167333   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412372539880.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	167334  

Name:	1412372589306.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	167335  

Old 10-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Image 1; I can't really see what's going on in there...but this is where the air should be coming from.

Image 2/3; you can see the engine bay is not sealed. Which means not all the warm air stays there, BUT it isn't so much a high pressure area, as the air can escape. I put a big polycarbonate board in beige under the bay so one can see.

Image 4; not sure why I took a picture of the board, but this is the board lol

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1412372672126.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	167336   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412372722745.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	167337  

Name:	1412372734536.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	167338   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412372936291.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	167339  

Old 10-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Whoops, forgot to show how tacky the ROUSH is on the intake.

You're better off buying a ROUSH sticker and an exacto knife for your Airaid CAI.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1412373287277.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	167340  

Old 10-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Image 1; the closed off area. This stops air from coming in from the sides. Air is only coming in from the intake at the grille and from the headlamp area.

Image 2; where the air comes in, essentially being forced into the intake, as it has nowhere else to go.

Image 3; the closed off tube that leads into the front end. No engine bay air gets in.

Ok, nobody is arguing with what your saying but your not understanding is that your rational on what it doesn't pull in hot air is the exact same way the factory intake works. In fact the factory CAI function works so well all the aftermarket intakes utilize the same lower portion.

At idle or in traffic people with IAT gauges actually reported that the stock airbox has lower IAT's then aftermarket intakes because it is completely sealed and although it has that piece that is suppose to seal against the hood its not as sealed as the factory airbox.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

To my knowledge, the factory air box pulls air from the bay, not the front end.

Please note, I am not saying I'm right and other people are WRONG- rather, I see how this CAI works, and from my limited knowledge of the factory box, it is a better setup. I never looked at mine in bay, only from the parts pile they gave me after CAI install.

People have said things about the factory box but never showed reason (images, reputable sources, so on). I am not closed minded if I don't know the whole story! If I am wrong or missing information, please educate me. I don't want to be wrong lol.

BUT, with that said, a LOT of people try to make a point and their reasoning is "this dood who like totally knows mustangs said" or "I read it on a site" (with no reference to it, or it's yahoo answers) or whatever. Those posts have zero value to me. :/

Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Well I can tell you from experience that the stock box pulls air from the snorkel going down to the lower grille. The box is sealed. It can't pull ambient air from the bay.

I don't have the stock box hooked up now, so i can't provide pictures but just think about it. The CAI didn't add a snorkel, it has the exact same connector as the stock box does, minus being completely sealed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
To my knowledge, the factory air box pulls air from the bay, not the front end.

Please note, I am not saying I'm right and other people are WRONG- rather, I see how this CAI works, and from my limited knowledge of the factory box, it is a better setup. I never looked at mine in bay, only from the parts pile they gave me after CAI install.

People have said things about the factory box but never showed reason (images, reputable sources, so on). I am not closed minded if I don't know the whole story! If I am wrong or missing information, please educate me. I don't want to be wrong lol.

BUT, with that said, a LOT of people try to make a point and their reasoning is "this dood who like totally knows mustangs said" or "I read it on a site" (with no reference to it, or it's yahoo answers) or whatever. Those posts have zero value to me. :/

The Factory Box is considered a CAI, it uses the same outside air as the Airaid or Roush. The Airaid (From my Own Experience) gets about 5 degrees warmer than the OEM air box sitting at a redlight. The seal on top will still allow engine air into the Airaid while the factory is sealed and still sucking air in from the bumper area
Stock 3.7 Air Box

Location where the Stock Box and Airaid/Roush get air from the bumper
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, interesting. The way it was explained to me was that that opening pulled from the engine bay, NOT from the front grille. I do want to investigate this further in person with a real vehicle.

The R/A CAI being warmer I take with a grain of salt, as not having set testing parameters or real data.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If you look at that video around the 30 second mark where he pulls off the stock lower intake you can see the stock lower portion of the CAI. This works so well every aftermarket CAI uses the factory lower piece. If you look at the air aid or roush intake it does not come with the full piping that goes all the way in the bumper.

Keep in mind that Ford Racing sells full aftermarket intakes for EVERY type of mustang except for the 11-14's. With these they only offer a tuner kit and a K&N filter since they know how well the factory unit flows. The way I look at it too, is if the airbox flows enough for a 420 HP GT then it flows more then enough for a 305 HP 3.7 liter. And like it has been said before people buy intakes for looks and sound which is fine. But don't expect any real performance from it without a tune. And even with that the majority of gains are from the tune and not the intake.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
The way I look at it too, is if the airbox flows enough for a 420 HP GT then it flows more then enough for a 305 HP 3.7 liter.

This exactly.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
The way I look at it too, is if the airbox flows enough for a 420 HP GT then it flows more then enough for a 305 HP 3.7 liter.
Better yet, check out this photo. Its from a Roush supercharged Mustang making 500+ horsepower. Notice the factory sealed box design still intact (of course as you upgrade the boost, Roush offers their true 'CAI' or 'open element' induction system).

That tells me that even Roush believes that the factory cold air induction system is good for 500 hp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	veh_2010_427r_11_big.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	167395  
Old 10-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Here's a Thought

Has anyone actually checked to see if there is any space between the hood and the top edge of a so-called after market cold air intake box, when the hood is closed?
One thought comes to mind. Put a small bright light in with the Airaid or other filters and close the hood. Try looking up from the bottom of the engine or better still, do it at night. You won't see any light from an OEM set up!
I don't have an aftermarket CAI system on my Mustang so I can't try it. But the K&N so-called CAI system I have on my Charger couldn't be any sloppier. I would assume the Airaid or others are much better.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Or chalk the points that are supposed to make contact, and close it. This is very interesting, and I appreciate this actual information.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Update: I finally got the Roush CAI installed today. Holy crap, it changes the whole dynamic of the sound. It eliminated about 99% of the Roush AB "buzz". At cruising speeds, 1500-2000 rpm it's a pronounced gurgle/throbbing sound.

Honestly after hearing it now vs this morning, I am 100% happier with how my car sounds.

Plus it looks clean as hell under the hood.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
Update: I finally got the Roush CAI installed today. Holy crap, it changes the whole dynamic of the sound. It eliminated about 99% of the Roush AB "buzz". At cruising speeds, 1500-2000 rpm it's a pronounced gurgle/throbbing sound.

Honestly after hearing it now vs this morning, I am 100% happier with how my car sounds.

Plus it looks clean as hell under the hood.

Really? So no buzzing at 3k+? Its starting to get to me but I love the tone when its below 3k

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I'm talking more the buzz/hum at low Rpms. But yes, at the 3-4k mark its cleaned up a bit as well. It sounds more like a defined growl at those Rpms.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome, might have to get one myself, and congrats on the purchase.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Update: wow I can actually feel a difference on the very low end. 60-70mph in 6th used to struggle pretty bad, now it pulls smooth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai