Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tennessee People, Gear Install

2K views 35 replies 4 participants last post by  5pointYoBro 
#1 ·
For anyone on here that lives in Tennessee, next paycheck im ordering the Ford Racing 3.55's, pinion bearing, install kit, and traction lok kit w/ carbon disks.

Does anyone know of any good shops in the nashville area? (Live about an hour west of there)

Can't find any online that say they do gear installs besides Delk Performance (which I've heard good things about) that is all the way in Lebanon (1 hr 45 min away)
I know the install is something you must not cheap out on

There also is one shop in the town I work in that says they have done them before but not as many as they used too. Seem sketchy...?

#2 ·
Take them to someone who knows what they're doing. Not someone out of practice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#6 ·
I was quoted $680 by DBR and after tax it comes to $742.90.
(This is me supplying everything, kit, pinion bearing, trak-lok lit, and fluids.)

Does this seem too high?
What have others paid for good work?
I see good reviews about them online, so I am willing to pay for a sure thing, as long as im not overpaying by a couple hundred dollars

#7 ·
That's twice what I paid for mine lol. I also got traction lok, rebuild kit and rear axle bearings done. Granted, all of that is stuff that can easily be removed when swapping gear sets.

You do have to take into account your area though. They should also quote you a shop hourly rate and how many hours of labor it will take. Not just an arbitrary number. For a shop that knows what they're doing, it shouldn't be more than 4 hours of labor.

#8 ·
I emailed them back, but I had a feeling that was too high haha.
What did you pay?

And they didnt give me the hourly cost for labor and number of hours, but I asked for the numbers when I emailed back

#11 ·
I paid $360 for the whole dealio providing my own parts. 4 hours of labor at $90/ hour. 150 is insane lol

#22 ·
Just a tidbit if you haven't bought your stuff already. Opt for the Ford Racing Install kit. If you go with the pre-built kit on AM, it comes with FRPP gears, but a Motive install kit. I purposely went out of my way to build a full FRPP kit to reduce any chance of noise or issues after hearing about issues with Motive gears.

That being said, I'm sure the motive kit is fine, I just like to be extra cautious.

#24 ·
Yeah I'm getting the kit that comes with everything, including oil and trac-lok rebuild. And yes ford racing 3.55 not motive

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#25 ·
I ended up doing gears, install kit, traction lok carbon discs, Steeda diff cover (figured why not go for a finned one with proper drain/fill holes while I'm at it) and then rear axle bearings.

The axle bearings were Yukon, but only because the FRPP were backordered. :( That's for a 60k mile car though.

#29 ·
Mhmm, you'll have to piece it together. It's slightly more expensive, like $9 iirc, but it's worth it for the peace of mind to me.

I replaced my axle bearings because one was starting to go and leak/cause noise + it was just time for it + it saves labor costs because they'll have all of that stuff disassembled anyway.

#31 ·
#33 ·
Yep, grab 2 quart bottles of that and a bottle of the FRPP friction modifier. You're basically replicating the other kit, just with all FRPP parts.

#35 ·
Yeah I did. No reason not to upgrade when all of the junk will be out anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.