MPT tune vs. BAMA? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Thanks for sharing. Good info!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
When my car was NA I had a 93R Bama tune, 93R MPT tune, and a 93R developed by Doug when he was at C&L (I was the tester for him when trying to figure out how to override the automatic torque management that would allow you to brake stand over 2,000 rpm).

Tested all three at MIR last October. Doug's was the quickest, followed by Bama, and then MPT. After data logging MPT revised the tune and it was quicker but it still was not as quick as the other two and I had problems doing a burn out with it. Did some more data logging and revisions but then it started to snow here in Michigan so couldn't finish the testing of that last revision.

Never had a chance to get back on it in the spring because before the track opened I added the Hellion turbo. After breaking 2 piston top ring lands on a crappy BLOW By Racing tune - after I replace the engine I will be working with MPT to tune the car and doing lots of data logging before letting the car do a WOT run again.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
What I like most about your graphs Kona, is that you ran the MPT and Steeda up to 7300 and power still looks good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Thanks for sharing. Good info!
Glad I could be some assistance. I really think your gonna be happy regardless on who you go with. Depending on your financial situation I would say spend the $75 dollars and get a MPT tune and go with Bama as well. Having those lifetime free tunes is a huge benefit as you slowly add additional modifications too your pony. MPT will make corrections to your tune for the first 6 months but after that your looking at another $75 dollars for any added modification after that 6 month period.

Depending on what mods you plan for your car remember Bama doesn't tune for nitrous or any F.I. via turbo or supercharger. I have been told MPT will tune for F.I. which is sweet although I personally would get a custom dyno tune if running F.I. but for bolt on mods email tunes are the way to go.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
There were over 10+ links voltwings provided in the beginning of relevant threads.
No there is not a track or dyno comparison on my thread yet done by me I have been having trouble finding either locally.
There are numerous comparisons even posted on this thread of Bama vs. Mpt runs as well as dyno pull comparisons on a number of threads which were all linked. Kona has posted his dyno results more times than I can count on countless threads. It's all there. Just look for it.

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ron swanson.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	167300  
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #41
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Hey guys, I love these types of threads and actually my favorite kind. I will gladly talk about this and share all my raw data with you guys. First let me say I have been using Bama tunes for almost 4 years and absolutely love them and their customer service. Back when I started on this forum in 2011 Bama was all you really heard about and how amazing they were and since this was my first mustang I went with Bama and no regrets. Over the years there were always tons of threads about which tune is the best and or how Bama was the most conservative of the tunes. People had there favorites but never could people show actual raw data supporting there claim.

Some people said how Bama made the least powerful and conservative tunes but offered no evidence to show how much less compared to another tune. Back over a year ago I go so fed up with hearing about how powerful MPT tune was, Steeda was more powerful, Bama was more powerful, Lund was more powerful, etc.

So over a year ago I decided to see for myself and bring real live data to members here to show where some tunes fell on the power they make. Now please note, I do not have every major tuning company tune out there.

I only have MPT, Steeda and Bama hybrid. I can not speak for Lund, VMP, AED, Custom dyno tune, etc but a lot came up about Steeda and MPT was getting rave reviews over a year ago. Not that I was unhappy with Bama because that was not the case but curiosity got to me and wanted to know what all this MPT talk was about and if it was the real deal. Around that same time Steeda went free tunes for life so I dropped $150 for Steeda and $75 for MPT.

Now please note the bama tune I was running there then hybrid tune and not their new and improved tune. My mustang club had a dyno day and so the battle of the tunes began!

MPT vs Steeda vs Bama Hybrid. The dyno was done on a dyno jet, the octane fuel in my car was 93 but all three were made 91 octane tunes. All three pulls were done same day, same weather conditions and same dyno operator.

91 MPT 297 rwhp @ 276 rwtq

91 Steeda 289 rwhp @ 276 rwtq

91 Bama hybrid 294 rwhp @ 268 rwtq.

As you can see all three results were very close by no means did Bama get killed or makes conservative tunes. Here is my dyno graph and pay no attention to the high AFR on the one. The y band fell off and had to redo the run.

Now, these are only dyno power results. I have not taken the car to the track to see which tune will run my pony the fastest time. With all this said I admit I run my MPT 99% of the time. I feel this tune pulls the hardest and i love its engine breaking on my automatic. For those of us who run MPT tune and have an automatic, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Lol. I feel the shift points on my MPT are slightly better than my hybrid tune but not by much and certainly something that Bama could easily adjust the firmness of shift points.

I can't comment on bama's new tunes but I LOVE Bama as well and with free lifetime tunes, you can't go wrong. That is something MPT is not going to give you for life. Hope this helps.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!

Hey Kona,

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this up. Bama wants people to know that they're tunes are absolutely on par with the competition and the numbers are right there. I'm interested to hear in what order they were tested though! One of the greatest aspects about Bama tuning capabilities especially for automatic customers is that they're able to dial in the shift points; They have the ability to manipulate them to the point where if you want them to be overly aggressive then they can do so. The numbers are there and the proof is in the pudding. I'll stand by this and we've said it before if someone wants to come here and run their tune against ours on our dyno we'll do so. We're not even concerned who or what brand they're running but to show that they stack up with the competition. If someones saying that they can literally feel a 3 hp difference I think they should be working here for us! If you're running a Bama tune and want them to look into it to make it truly unique to your driving style they'll work with you to achieve the driveabiltiy that you're after.

If anyone has any questions or if you want to come down here to see for yourselves you guys know where to find me!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
What I like most about your graphs Kona, is that you ran the MPT and Steeda up to 7300 and power still looks good!
Thanks bro.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey Kona,

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this up. Bama wants people to know that they're tunes are absolutely on par with the competition and the numbers are right there. I'm interested to hear in what order they were tested though! One of the greatest aspects about Bama tuning capabilities especially for automatic customers is that they're able to dial in the shift points; They have the ability to manipulate them to the point where if you want them to be overly aggressive then they can do so. The numbers are there and the proof is in the pudding. I'll stand by this and we've said it before if someone wants to come here and run their tune against ours on our dyno we'll do so. We're not even concerned who or what brand they're running but to show that they stack up with the competition. If someones saying that they can literally feel a 3 hp difference I think they should be working here for us! If you're running a Bama tune and want them to look into it to make it truly unique to your driving style they'll work with you to achieve the driveabiltiy that you're after.

If anyone has any questions or if you want to come down here to see for yourselves you guys know where to find me!
Alex, here is my original post back when i first did the dyno test and this even answers more of anyone's questions. I am a huge fanboy of AM and totally agree that Bama tunes will be right there with the rest of the other tunes.

Let me say , I was very pleased with all three results and certainly no land slide killing. The weather here is 73 degrees and sunny. Key factors for my dyno results:

Automatic
Dyno in 3rd gear for all three tests.

First Dyno run , which is the Run File tune on the Dyno Jet. Dyno run 1 was 91 Steeda Tune. Results: 289.56 rwhp, 274 rwtq.

Second Dyno tune are run files 2 & 3 which was my 91 MPT tune. Results: 297.16 rwhp, 276.02 rwtq.

Third Dyno tune is run file 4 which was my 91 bama hybrid tune. Results: 293.62 rwhp and 268.52 rwtq.

So in conclusion on HP numbers
MPT
Bama
Steeda

So in conclusion on Torque numbers
MPT
Steeda
Bama

Keep in mind I would of been over 300 rwhp had my car been a manual but because I have automatic I loose 15 percent to the rear wheels..

So not bad for a car that produces around 260 rwhp stock form. That's a gain of 40 rwhp.

Bottom line. There all so close in numbers. All comparable to each other. I'm glad I did this test. Now, which tune will provide the best 1/4 mile time? Hum. To be continued. Lol

[/QUOTE]

Old 10-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Another thing that's harder to compare is area under the curve. Its possible to be faster with a lower peak number if your average power is higher, but thats throwing all kinds of maths and hard to measure variables into the equation.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now, which tune will provide the best 1/4 mile time? Hum. To be continued. Lol

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves![/QUOTE]

Looking good! Looking forward to the "To be continued."
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Glad I could be some assistance. I really think your gonna be happy regardless on who you go with. Depending on your financial situation I would say spend the $75 dollars and get a MPT tune and go with Bama as well. Having those lifetime free tunes is a huge benefit as you slowly add additional modifications too your pony. MPT will make corrections to your tune for the first 6 months but after that your looking at another $75 dollars for any added modification after that 6 month period.

Is "added modification" different than a "Tune Update"? from their web page...

Part #: MPT-Tune-Update

Retail Price: $75.00
MPT Saves You: $55.00
Your Price: $20.00
Out of 6 Month Window:
Our custom tunes include 6 months of updates, after that any modification purchased through MPT includes a free tune update. If you have purchased a modification through another vendor that requires a tune update that is not supercharged or another major upgrade this small tune update fee can be used.

This tune update does not cover major changes to supercharged/turbo charged vehicles. If a modification is added that requires a full retune, then contact us directly to discuss options.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Looking good! Looking forward to the "To be continued."[/QUOTE]

Thanks bro. I really do need to take my car to the track too see which tune gives me the fastest time. Lol.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #48
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Eventually, when I get an MPT tune down the road, I'll go to Cecil County drag way and compare the two. I want to do it on my car while completely stock because I feel like it's a better baseline for people to use.

My only concern is messing with tunes away from home, so I'll bring a friend with my other car to be safe.

I'm still stupidly happy with my 13.8 passes with my Bama 93R completely stock with 2.73s.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Eventually, when I get an MPT tune down the road, I'll go to Cecil County drag way and compare the two. I want to do it on my car while completely stock because I feel like it's a better baseline for people to use.

My only concern is messing with tunes away from home, so I'll bring a friend with my other car to be safe.

I'm still stupidly happy with my 13.8 passes with my Bama 93R completely stock with 2.73s.

Nothing wrong with 13.8 bro. I do wonder if you had a MPT tune how much faster or slower would your time be compared to 13.8. I wonder if you got a Steeda, Lund, AED, VMP how much slower or faster would your 1/4 mile times be compared to your bama 13.8?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #50
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post

I've been dying to go to the 1/4 dragstrip...

I've only been to the 1/8 and was pretty disappointed, But I was pretty much stock at the time and on a Bama tune.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang