MPT tune vs. BAMA? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
MPT tune vs. BAMA?

Just wondering which you would recommend? Which is more aggressive? And will yield the biggest difference particularly in throttle response?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sarosh175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have bama 91 race tune and that's all I've ever used. But I have read (on here) mpt is more aggressive throughout threads. They offer a pretty cool ghost cam tune (in 3 different categories) for when ur car is idle. From clips online it sounds great.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #3

I have heard about the ghost cam, can you explain what that does? How big of a difference did you notice from the stock tune to your 91 Bama?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Really dude.

Bama tune vs MPT ?
Bama vs MPT vs Steeda Tunes
bama vs mpt
Bama tune and MPT tune
MPT OR BAMA!!!
Bama or mpt?
BAMA- What are you really getting from them?
BAMA TUNES
Bama vs. Lund tunes

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh175 View Post
I have heard about the ghost cam, can you explain what that does? How big of a difference did you notice from the stock tune to your 91 Bama?
and again.

The 3.7 MPT Ghost Cam
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It messes with cam timing at idle to create a lopey exhaust sound that sounds like it's coming from an engine with performance cams. Only problem is that it destroys your gas mileage in city driving and it isn't good to run with cats.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Just wondering which you would recommend? Which is more aggressive? And will yield the biggest difference particularly in throttle response?

I've been using Bama tunes since I had my 2007 Mustang, I loved them.

Until I got MPT recently, LOL!

Sorry, AM! But MPT is far superior than your tuning department! If you want a more aggressive tune, Go with MPT... Best throttle response? MPT.

Get MPT!

Quote:

But if you get the Ghost Cam, Make sure you get the regular one too as you get it for only $25.

I didn't do that and had to buy another one, Because I found the Ghost Cam tune should only be used when you want to show it off, lol. On an automatic, It looks very dumb while braking for red lights and stuff. It makes your car want to go forward, So it's jumpy until you can slam your brakes down.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post

Sorry, AM! But MPT is far superior than your tuning department! If you want a more aggressive tune, Go with MPT... Best throttle response? MPT.

Get MPT!

Gotti was it a profound difference in throttle response? Way way more
Noticeable? U got the ghost cam as well?

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Old 10-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Gotti was it a profound difference in throttle response? Way way more
Noticeable? U got the ghost cam as well?

Yes! VERY noticeable. I can feel the response is definitely quicker... And yes, I posted the video in my previous post

It's 100X better, Believe that!

Get the most aggressive option if you want to switch over to MPT from Bama tune.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What gears u got? Ur car stick? And where is that vid? I feel the "aggressiveness" in auto is more noticeable due to the simple fact that it's preprogrammed for certain shift points etc etc

Old 10-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
What gears u got? Ur car stick? And where is that vid? I feel the "aggressiveness" in auto is more noticeable due to the simple fact that it's preprogrammed for certain shift points etc etc

4:10 Gears, Automatic transmission.

It's in the post you replied to, Refresh the thread. I edited it.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #11

Would you recommend changing gears first or intake/tune? I just bought my car new and it has the BS stock 2,73 gears

Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
4:10 Gears, Automatic transmission.

It's in the post you replied to, Refresh the thread. I edited it.

All I really here is ghost cam on stock exhaust?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I haven't even read the responses... lol. Don't know why we keep having these. Lots of opinions and little to no actual comparisons. I would give anything for a true Dyno and road review from a third party source of: BAMA, Steeda, MPT and Lund
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Would you recommend changing gears first or intake/tune? I just bought my car new and it has the BS stock 2,73 gears

I have stock 2.73 gears on my stick shift. I have exhaust and cold air intake ... Just recently put tuner on and it's great. Avg mpg 23 half city and freeway driving

Old 10-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
All I really here is ghost cam on stock exhaust?

The ghost cam doesn't affect the performance... It's more for show lol. It makes your car shake like crazy.

If you just want performance, go with the regular MPT tune.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I misunderstood u I thought u had a video showing Mpt tune not the gosht cam. Yeah I know that's all for show lol

Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:

If you change your gears, You need to tune your car too at the same time, Or else your speedometer will be way off anyways.

If you can, Get the gears AND the tuner/tune.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
I haven't even read the responses... lol. Don't know why we keep having these. Lots of opinions and little to no actual comparisons. I would give anything for a true Dyno and road review from a third party source of: BAMA, Steeda, MPT and Lund
I'm telling them by my own personal experience. I've never tried Steeda or Lund.

But as someone who used Bama tunes for a 2007 mustang for 2 years, Then moved on to a 2013 and used Bama for 9 months, Only to switch over to MPT and notice a world of a difference? I think that alone means MPT > Bama.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm telling them by my own personal experience. I've never tried Steeda or Lund.

But as someone who used Bama tunes for a 2007 mustang for 2 years, Then moved on to a 2013 and used Bama for 9 months, Only to switch over to MPT and notice a world of a difference? I think that alone means MPT > Bama.
And BAMA people say same. Dyno numbers? 1/4 times? Thats what I have yet to see. This is all about opinions and I respect them all. Just dying for a true comparison.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hey-One of the greatest aspects about being Bama tuned is that if you're looking for more of an edge they'll work with you to get you there!

For each and every Bama Tune that's created , they'll ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique set up and intended use, in an easy to use web form. This information allows us to write an entirely custom tune just for your specific vehicle to ensure we deliver the most power and performance possible.

Our Bama Custom Tunes are developed in-house on our Dynojet 224xLC chassis Dyno as well as our new Mustang Dyno. We've put in Hours of research and development through street, track, backroads, and dyno testing/datalogging which left us with fully refined custom tunes. The Bama Performance team has exclusive access to our inventory of parts as well so if we're getting new parts in stock they're out there the same day tweaking and tuning.

We also are part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

Quote:

Rush-Sorry to hear about that but we're happy to work with you to make the adjustments as to get your tunes more "aggressive" if at any point you'd like to give them a try shoot me a PM and I'll put our lead calibrator in touch with you.

We've had countless members set up here that I had put in touch with Bama that are loving their setups and I'd personally like to see a comparison if not even a dyno day where we run Bama's tunes against our competitors. We don't even want to know whose they are but just to show the community that what they have stacks up with the competition!

Quote:

^This!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
And BAMA people say same. Dyno numbers? 1/4 times? Thats what I have yet to see. This is all about opinions and I respect them all. Just dying for a true comparison.
I ran Bama for 2 years, then switched to MPT last summer. MPT tune felt faster, so I took it to the track. Ran twice on Bama, then twice on MPT.

1. 13.941 @ 101.26
2. 13.928 @ 101.22
3. 13.563 @ 103.58
4. 13.459 @ 104.15

Same mods, same night, different tune. I didn't run my Bama tune after it cooled off, but the MPT tune runs 13.2 @ 105 in good cool weather.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
I ran Bama for 2 years, then switched to MPT last summer. MPT tune felt faster, so I took it to the track. Ran twice on Bama, then twice on MPT.

1. 13.941 @ 101.26

2. 13.928 @ 101.22

3. 13.563 @ 103.58

4. 13.459 @ 104.15

Same mods, same night, different tune. I didn't run my Bama tune after it cooled off, but the MPT tune runs 13.2 @ 105 in good cool weather.

Damn... Great numbers

Old 10-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
OP you owe me a dollar. Read previous threads please and use the search feature. I have a thread that literally beats this to death, revives it, and beats it to death a few more times.
I accept PayPal

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
OP you owe me a dollar. Read previous threads please and use the search feature. I have a thread that literally beats this to death, revives it, and beats it to death a few more times.
I accept PayPal

Lol I think because it has so many replies lol

Old 10-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Which is exactly why you should read it. More replies = more info
Why start a new thread asking literally what is discussed and explained in that thread.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Most people do not like to read but rather be spoon fed.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Grabber, why not link it instead of getting mad lol

Sent from my HTC One Max using Tapatalk.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Grabber...I thought I was following your Bama comparison thread but I must have missed the track comparison similar to that as should above. I guess I'll have to go back and check it out. As I recall you were going to the track but don't recall if you had a chance yet. Also promised some dyno runs. Maybe I missed some stuff.
Good info above from Livewire003.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Been there, done that, so last year. Lol. I had my MPT, Bama and Steeda tunes dyno same day.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

There were over 10+ links voltwings provided in the beginning of relevant threads.
No there is not a track or dyno comparison on my thread yet done by me I have been having trouble finding either locally.
There are numerous comparisons even posted on this thread of Bama vs. Mpt runs as well as dyno pull comparisons on a number of threads which were all linked. Kona has posted his dyno results more times than I can count on countless threads. It's all there. Just look for it.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not getting mad. I'm just saying please use the search function. You are pretty new on here , but it gets very old seeing the same thing posted over and over again when the info is right there. I could care less if you want to spend your time spoon feeding them the info.
Give someone bread and they will not be hungry
Give someone the knowledge to farm and they will be much better off

Old 10-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

That's because your not on the right forums. There is a direct comparison of fully data logged and re tuned Bama, MPT and Lund tunes done at the 1/4 drag strip on the same car, same day.

I have all 3 tunes as well and have talked about it on forums. Not to many people going to buy Bama, MPT and spend $200 on a Lund tune.

FWIW the other guy and I both run our MPT tunes after having all 3 tuners fully data logging and as aggressive as they will go.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I'm not getting mad. I'm just saying please use the search function. You are pretty new on here , but it gets very old seeing the same thing posted over and over again when the info is right there. I could care less if you want to spend your time spoon feeding them the info.
Give someone bread and they will not be hungry
Give someone the knowledge to farm and they will be much better off

That was awkward... I think you meant
"give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
Old 10-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Same thing you know what I meant. It can be said a million different ways.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys, I love these types of threads and actually my favorite kind. I will gladly talk about this and share all my raw data with you guys. First let me say I have been using Bama tunes for almost 4 years and absolutely love them and their customer service. Back when I started on this forum in 2011 Bama was all you really heard about and how amazing they were and since this was my first mustang I went with Bama and no regrets. Over the years there were always tons of threads about which tune is the best and or how Bama was the most conservative of the tunes. People had there favorites but never could people show actual raw data supporting there claim.

Some people said how Bama made the least powerful and conservative tunes but offered no evidence to show how much less compared to another tune. Back over a year ago I go so fed up with hearing about how powerful MPT tune was, Steeda was more powerful, Bama was more powerful, Lund was more powerful, etc.

So over a year ago I decided to see for myself and bring real live data to members here to show where some tunes fell on the power they make. Now please note, I do not have every major tuning company tune out there.

I only have MPT, Steeda and Bama hybrid. I can not speak for Lund, VMP, AED, Custom dyno tune, etc but a lot came up about Steeda and MPT was getting rave reviews over a year ago. Not that I was unhappy with Bama because that was not the case but curiosity got to me and wanted to know what all this MPT talk was about and if it was the real deal. Around that same time Steeda went free tunes for life so I dropped $150 for Steeda and $75 for MPT.

Now please note the bama tune I was running there then hybrid tune and not their new and improved tune. My mustang club had a dyno day and so the battle of the tunes began!

MPT vs Steeda vs Bama Hybrid. The dyno was done on a dyno jet, the octane fuel in my car was 93 but all three were made 91 octane tunes. All three pulls were done same day, same weather conditions and same dyno operator.

91 MPT 297 rwhp @ 276 rwtq

91 Steeda 289 rwhp @ 276 rwtq

91 Bama hybrid 294 rwhp @ 268 rwtq.

As you can see all three results were very close by no means did Bama get killed or makes conservative tunes. Here is my dyno graph and pay no attention to the high AFR on the one. The y band fell off and had to redo the run.

Now, these are only dyno power results. I have not taken the car to the track to see which tune will run my pony the fastest time. With all this said I admit I run my MPT 99% of the time. I feel this tune pulls the hardest and i love its engine breaking on my automatic. For those of us who run MPT tune and have an automatic, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Lol. I feel the shift points on my MPT are slightly better than my hybrid tune but not by much and certainly something that Bama could easily adjust the firmness of shift points.

I can't comment on bama's new tunes but I LOVE Bama as well and with free lifetime tunes, you can't go wrong. That is something MPT is not going to give you for life. Hope this helps.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412296939646.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	167273  
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang