Anyone have this? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone have this?

SR Performance Mustang Rear Shock Tower Brace - Chrome STB-05-REE-CH (05-14 All) - Free Shipping - AmericanMuscle

I already have the front strut tower brace. First time I've seen this, or even heard about it for that matter. Does anyone have this on their car? Is it new? Does it make a significant difference in handling?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Most of the times the rear shock towers are reinforced into the trunk floor since its not open like the engine bay ... Also, just thinking about the way a car loads during cornering, this seems like snake oil to me ...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post
SR Performance Mustang Rear Shock Tower Brace - Chrome STB-05-REE-CH (05-14 All) - Free Shipping - AmericanMuscle

I already have the front strut tower brace. First time I've seen this, or even heard about it for that matter. Does anyone have this on their car? Is it new? Does it make a significant difference in handling?
Hey-Good question and this is definitely a solid piece to have if you're looking to improve your cars overall structural integrity. One of the perks about working here is I get to test about 90% of the parts we get in either for photo or for employee reviews. It's absolutely something that I would recommend as the 05+ cars are really boats! (I say this coming out of my '01 as it's just a big car!) Let me know if you don't have our forums discount code and I'm happy to get you set up!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
It would probably be more benificial in an IRS car like the 2015s. I was going to research it myself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Yes they do stiffen up the body.

You would never need it for just normal driving on the street. It is more for track use using very sticky tires and a lot of speed going into the turns.
It sure won'y hurt anything to have one on your car if you want it.
The under body sub-frame braces are about the same. Good for the track and can still be OK to run on a street Mustang if you want it.
The front under hood strut brace works very well weather it is on the track or on the street due to there is not a lot of structure in the upper engine cavity.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey-Good question and this is definitely a solid piece to have if you're looking to improve your cars overall structural integrity. One of the perks about working here is I get to test about 90% of the parts we get in either for photo or for employee reviews. It's absolutely something that I would recommend as the 05+ cars are really boats! (I say this coming out of my '01 as it's just a big car!) Let me know if you don't have our forums discount code and I'm happy to get you set up!

Alex

Hey Alex, not really sure how the discount code works for participating on here. I mostly come just to research. If I qualify for a discount that would be awesome!

Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Snake oil rhetoric. I love it.

Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post
Hey Alex, not really sure how the discount code works for participating on here. I mostly come just to research. If I qualify for a discount that would be awesome!
This thread should answer your question. http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...d.php?t=289270
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If I were going to anything back there it would be more of a X-Brace more like what Ford put on the LS Boss or the Steeda that still works with the Back seat in.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
There are a lot of other things I would do before this.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Strut tower braces will in my mind be a visual upgrade until I see some data regarding torsional rigidity improvements of the unibody. This has to be measurable or I'm just not interested for performance reasons.

Secondarily I'd accept significantly improved launch times at a drag strip, or similarly improved roadracing lap times, but this is much more difficult to control for and therefore more susceptible to the influence of wishful thinking.

Lastly, I suppose you could skid test it and see if you pick up any gains that way, but I feel like you'd get a lot more of these kinds of benefits from some kind of five-link setup in the rear.

Now that said it is a very noticeable visual modification. I care a little more about trunk space and don't record anything I do in my Mustang with a stop watch so ... If there is any data out there to support this though I'd be mucho interested in seeing it.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordySanchez View Post
Strut tower braces will in my mind be a visual upgrade until I see some data regarding torsional rigidity improvements of the unibody. This has to be measurable or I'm just not interested for performance reasons.

Secondarily I'd accept significantly improved launch times at a drag strip, or similarly improved roadracing lap times, but this is much more difficult to control for and therefore more susceptible to the influence of wishful thinking.

Lastly, I suppose you could skid test it and see if you pick up any gains that way, but I feel like you'd get a lot more of these kinds of benefits from some kind of five-link setup in the rear.

Now that said it is a very noticeable visual modification. I care a little more about trunk space and don't record anything I do in my Mustang with a stop watch so ... If there is any data out there to support this though I'd be mucho interested in seeing it.
Here is an explanation of a strut tower brace and why it helps:

Strut Bar - Explained: http://youtu.be/-S6H7ZdzBfE

Now the topic of the shock tower brace is still debatable in a solid rear axle car.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes, why it helps in the front. In the rear however, the shock towers are reinforced through the trunk floor, not a big, empty (as far as bracing is concerned) engine bay. I have never met another mustang owner at any road courses with one. Figure that's enough proof for me.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated!

Old 10-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the link Joey. I'm pretty familiar with the physics, though the video glosses over important points like accounting for the connection between the strut mount and the frame itself and as a result doesn't emphasize enough the importance of the strut brace construction itself, particularly as the cross member attaches to the mounting plate.

That aside its Voltwings point above that matters most as this is a rear strut brace we're talking about which has an entirely different set of forces and vectors to consider, particularly since those that the video concentrates on are related to cornering and less on torsional load of the engine between the engine mounts. Of course his original point regarding pre-existing reinforcement is probably the most relevant.

My original point was the redistribution of force and change of vectors provided by front bar struts are already debatable, only meaning that the differences are not SO clear but that they're notable to the naked eye. This rear strut brace is so much less clearly an improvement that the only responsible way to determine efficacy is through careful measurement of torsional rigidity (which you could probably do using a frame rig in a bodyshop) or at the very least through repeatable and measurable results in various performance scenarios that would matter to someone spending the money on this item.

I have my doubts, but as I say, I'll be convinced by data, not theory.

That said it looks sweet, and I'd certainly snap pics of your rig if I saw it at a car show. Just don't go expecting this thing to drop two tenths off your e.t.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well with the front strut tower brace I felt a change immediately in the car's behavior, I have no solid data to back that up, but it felt tighter, less jarring on bumps and less body roll.

As for the rear that is the main topic, I'm just as skeptical as you folks.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Well with the front strut tower brace I felt a change immediately in the car's behavior, I have no solid data to back that up, but it felt tighter, less jarring on bumps and less body roll.

As for the rear that is the main topic, I'm just as skeptical as you folks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang