Curb Alert Install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Curb Alert Install

Since I couldn't find anyone that had done this before, I decided to do my research and put together a guide of my own for folks to use.

It was surprisingly difficult to find information on the install. But after some back and forth with Curb Alert and modifying techniques from other cars, I think I have a solid game plan.

I will be installing it tomorrow and take photos step by step. For now I have pictures of the parts.

1) The control box that acts as the junction between the sensor and the buzzer. Also used for calibrating the sensor.

2) Out of the box it has this connector. It's a fuse tap with a 2 amp fuse. The whole system uses 35 milli amps so it's a very small power draw. It has a 2nd fuse connector on the tap should you want to tap into an existing fuse. You'd just take out the existing fuse and put it in the 2nd slot on the tap. It has 2 separate circuits.

3) This is the sensor itself. Weatherproof and attaches via 3m tape at your desired location. It swivels up and down to adjust for height.

4) This is the buzzer that produces the beeping alert. It's to be installed inside the cabin. It's adjustable between High/Low/Off. Also 3m backed, or has 2 holes on the side if you want to mount them with screws instead.

5) The accessories pack. Zip ties, cable holders with 3m backing tape. Different style swivels for the sensor and a splice connector should you want to tap into a hot lead rather than the fuse box.

6) This is how everything connects into the control box.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412477554204.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	167412   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412477564088.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	167413  

Name:	1412477578435.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	167414   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412477589838.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	167415  

Name:	1412477599040.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	167416   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412477608779.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	167417  

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, all done after a marathon 14 hours of detailing this weekend, I finally got around to this.

I honestly thought it would be simpler, but I ran into some road blocks.

First off, if you do this: Plan where you're mounting everything first and make sure you have enough cable to do it.

My original plan of mounting both the control box and the buzzer in the driver's side cabin didn't work.

Now the nitty gritty:

First, I removed the radiator cover to get a good look at things and for wire routing later. I ended up mounting the sensor itself right up against the air dam on the bottom of the front fascia.

There wasn't a clean way to route the cable around the dam so what I did is use a punch tool to create a hole big enough to get the micro usb plug through. (Picture 1).

Deciding where to route the cable up through was the next challenge. I ended up taking it up near the inner fender well cover and close to the tie rod using a metal hanger.

The cable hung a little even when pulled taught. So I used two of the included cable mounting brackets. It then sits flush so no debris will snag it.

I then routed it up right next to the intake and up and around to the regular wire harnesses to cable tie them to. (Picture 2 and 3).

Now, getting the buzzer cable from the cabin into the engine bay to the control box.

I knew previously there was a hole in the firewall that I could use. But I didn't expect this...(Picture 4). As I was pressing what felt like rubber from inside the cabin, I busted through that heat tape. While I found the hole I still thought to myself. "Sh*t!, what did I do?!" Lol.

I thought I was pressing on the rubber grommet over to the right.

Anyway, after I calmed down, I got the cables routed and bundled and tied as you see there. With my method there tons of extra cable for the buzzer and sensor, just not the control box. (Picture 5). As a side note, I ended up sealing the hole after the cables were routed with more heat tape and silicone on both sides.

You can see I mounted the control box right behind my CAI. (After cleaning with alcohol to make sure it mounted properly) (Picture 6). You'll want to plug the buzzer and sensor in and then cable tie them together so if a plug does come loose, you don't have a cable flying around. That being said, once you plug them in, they're very snug.

I then routed the power and ground cable from the control box over towards the fuse box. Cable tying it to the main wire harness as needed.

You can take your pick of a ground to use. Then I simply plugged in the fuse connector into the box. Done deal.

After that, you'll need to calibrate the sensor. This is the ONE thing the instructions cover in depth lol.

Fairly simple process, just keep the box you got the system in.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1412559456460.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	167463   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412559467428.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	167464  

Name:	1412559479100.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	167465   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412559502589.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	167466  

Name:	1412559704474.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	167470  
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

A few more pictures of cable routing, where the fuse connector is, where the hole for the cable is inside the cabin and then the buzzer mounting location in the footwell.

Tidied upnthe excess cable with more ties and tucked them with the harnesses there behind the carpet.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1412560251310.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	167472   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412560260619.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	167473  

Name:	1412560282574.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	167474   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412560293418.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	167475  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Appreciate the post. Was thinking about putting one of these on after i get a new chin spoiler so i dont screw up a couple hundred dollar mod on accident one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
45thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thMustang View Post
Appreciate the post. Was thinking about putting one of these on after i get a new chin spoiler so i dont screw up a couple hundred dollar mod on accident one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
No problem. There's videos on how to do it on any corvette under the sun, but I couldn't find any for a Mustang.

I decided on this after looking at how jacked up the underside of my V6 bumper was when I made the swap

Old 10-08-2014, 01:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Great post! You could try submitting this to AM and try getting $200. I've been debating about getting this but $159 on AM is not in my budget right now. How much did you pay for it?
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Nice writeup, very thankful my car came with these from the factory. One of the most useful features on the car IMO.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nice write up. Thanks for the post. I'm thinking about getting this myself. Have you tested it out yet?

You need to know the rules, to break the rules
Old 10-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic14 View Post
Nice write up. Thanks for the post. I'm thinking about getting this myself. Have you tested it out yet?

No problem. Yep I have been using it daily as my work place has some nasty curbs. Some with a tad bit of rebar sticking out so they can do a number on your car.

So far it works perfectly. I tend to keep it on Low as High is a little loud, but it gives me 3 beeps when I'm within the distance I set during calibration to let me know it's time to stop.

As far as if it's worth $159, I'd say absolutely. I bought mine through Amazon because AM was having a lot of backorder issues at the time.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This will definitely go in my build list. I have scraped some times already and it just hurts lol. I've started parking like a damn granny.

At what distance did you set it?

Old 10-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I set it for about 18" total, so ends up being about 6-7" past my front fascia. You can set it closer/further with the calibration. And change the curb height setting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang