BBK 73MM Throttle Body - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Fin kind of alluded to the main argument against these. It's not necessarily that they're useless, they just don't provide enough oomph to justify the full $400 pricetag. At 280 I think you'll get your money's worth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Even at $250 i personal wouldnt spend the money with out having tried it first. If I ever get a chance to try one out for a couple days get a feel for it and find that it does "SOMETHING" for me then I'll buy one...at $250 lol I am willing to spend $80-100 and try out this GT TB idea that a couple guys have done. They say it works and for that price tag I'll experiment with that.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
There's only one way to find out!!! Hopefully ill have everything installed this weekend and I can do some data logging with MPT this next week to get everything running perfect . At least I'll have an amazing sounding car! Lol.

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
True that bro. Look forward to your review on it.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fin kind of alluded to the main argument against these. It's not necessarily that they're useless, they just don't provide enough oomph to justify the full $400 pricetag. At 280 I think you'll get your money's worth.

You know what bro. I think you hit the nail on the head. I could never convince myself for $400 dollars it was worth the gains it provided. If I could of picked up a new one for like say $225 I think I would of jumped on it. Or even a pre owned one for $150 I would buy one and see if I can tell a difference in throttle response.

I actually bought my CAI not for power gains but I really like the sound that of the CAI while under wot. I love that sound the CAI makes but at least I felt for the $250 I was getting enjoyment from the product because of the sound and power gains second to that.

I will keep an eye out for a pre owned 73 mm throttle body but $280 is still too high for me to pay unless there are some real noticeable gains in throttle response and or how hard the car pulls or something. Lol

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Luckily I always shop around and get cheap prices. Paid $150 for my airaid used with less than 5k miles on it, got my ceramic headers for 320, now the TB for 280. That's almost $400 in savings then if I had paid full retail lol.
That's how I've been able to get so many mods so quickly.
Got my tuner with bama tunes for I believe it was 250, and the mpt tune was 70, so there's another 150 in savings. Got my x pipe new for $60 on eBay. Got my pre painted GT/CS spoiler for $115 . Got my ATAKs for $250.
I really search hard for bargains lol. I spend a lot of time searching sites for sales, instagram for used sales, eBay, Craig's list, etc.
I made my build list and stick to it 100%. Then I patiently wait til I find an amazing deal on something on it and get it!
Ive saved an insane amount of money by doing that and not making a single impulse buy, and by installing almost everything myself.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Luckily I always shop around and get cheap prices. Paid $150 for my airaid used with less than 5k miles on it, got my ceramic headers for 320, now the TB for 280. That's almost $400 in savings then if I had paid full retail lol.
That's how I've been able to get so many mods so quickly.
Ive saved an insane amount of money by doing that and not making a single impulse buy, and by installing almost everything myself.

Thats the way to do it buddy! Did the same thing. I just wasnt as on the ball as i could have. some of these deals dont wait around. One day they are there the next gone. They always seam to come around when Im broke lol
Old 10-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Haha, I wish I had the patience. I've made too many impulse buys. My build list on AM keeps growing too... I think it's up to ~$20,000 of parts now lol. I seriously doubt I will ever put every single bit on there though. If I do, it will be one hell of a race car baha

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Sadly I have not purchased anything from AM recently
Hoping they come out with those bigger over axle pipes for us 3.7 guys so I can!

Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

That's why I went with my pypes catback, knocked all that stuff out. It's full 2.5" piping.

You can always buy some blank exhaust pipe from Summit and take it to an exhaust shop that has a mandrel and have em whip you up some. I have no idea what they would charge for that, but the blank pipe is cheeeeap.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I may do that in the spring if AM hasn't come out with something by then.
I feel like it really chokes the exhaust back there.
I'm keeping the stock cats since I live in NY

Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I just did an eBay search of most of my parts list. Nothing is cheaper.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

I'd hold off on the over axel pipes. I can't remember but ive seen a few threads spread on different forums that say to just keep the stock ones on and change the mid pipe. I seriously almost did it the day i got my axel backs. any muffler shop can get you the piping done and installed for less than $200 thats really cheep considering a Magnaflow Street cat-back was over $600 and for what, mufflers and piping
Old 10-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I'd hold off on the over axel pipes. I can't remember but ive seen a few threads spread on different forums that say to just keep the stock ones on and change the mid pipe. I seriously almost did it the day i got my axel backs. any muffler shop can get you the piping done and installed for less than $200 thats really cheep considering a Magnaflow Street cat-back was over $600 and for what, mufflers and piping
I doubt you will be able to get stainless steel pipes done correctly for $200. It will cost more. The Magnaflow cat-backs are SS. I've had one and can vouch for there quality. Best on the market imo. Borla's sound good but Magnaflow has the best quality I've seen as far as materials and workmanship (good welds). They have a nice shine to them too.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
I doubt you will be able to get stainless steel pipes done correctly for $200. It will cost more. The Magnaflow cat-backs are SS. I've had one and can vouch for there quality. Best on the market imo. Borla's sound good but Magnaflow has the best quality I've seen as far as materials and workmanship (good welds). They have a nice shine to them too.
If I'm understanding what he said, I think he meant 200 for labor. Not including the pipes themselves.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

I am curious to know if changing the OA pipes has any gains...
Old 10-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If I'm understanding what he said, I think he meant 200 for labor. Not including the pipes themselves.

Quote:
Oh i love my Magnaflows, i just decided it wasnt worth an extra $400 for 2 pipes, which is why i didnt get the over axel setup.

I come from Southern California where there's a body shop, muffler shop, audio shop or some kind of shop on just about every city corner. So $200 for everything is pretty standard for just a couple pipes being removed and welded in. I had my H pipe installed for $75 and that was cutting out the factory hybrid pipe and measuring everything up, fitting it and welding it. came out good. no leaks or rust along the welds. Now it depends where you go, where you live and all so i could just be speaking from a single areas perspective.

Also pipe bending and welding quality are all up to the shop. Go to a bad shop you'll get bad work.

I'm going to re-research the OverAxel performance gains some more. I hope Im wrong cause i would love to have something more to do to my exhaust to open her up and release some more power.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I found that the BBK does noticeably help throttle response and low end power. You can feel the exrtra kick at 3000 RPM over stock. I bet it will be even more noticeable with shortys. But BBK has a dyno test which I believe is accurate. It is really nicely made and uses the Ford motor drive so it is completely compatible.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Wow that curve at 3.5k looks AMAZING

Old 10-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Take those graphs with a grain of salt. Literally anyone can just mock up a dyno sheet. Look for verified third party results rather than the manufacturer trying to sell you something.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Oh i know that
Still surprised at them though
I would be happy with half of that Lmao

Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I'm not sure why some people talk bad about a TB showing a small HP gain. This is how it's always been. If bolting on a TB to a stock engine, gains will be small. Bolt it on a built engine and gains get larger. You can bolt a 65mm TB on a stock foxbody and show small gains. This is nothing new. Now, for the price argument, they are more expensive now, but so are the materials and the technology involved with them. I'm not saying I'd buy a new BBK for $400. Too expensive for me right now, especially considering my engine is stock other than a CAI. Now, if I was adding a ported intake, I would install a TB as well. The larger TBs do there job. One just has to consider the whole picture before deciding on what gains they should expect.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hey Grabber, where on Instagram where you looking for used parts? I came across a long time ago but couldn't find it anymore

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I love my tb one of the first mods I got.. definitely noticeable low end grunt and exhaust deeping..

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
Now, for the price argument, they are more expensive now, but so are the materials and the technology involved with them. I'm not saying I'd buy a new BBK for $400. Too expensive for me right now, especially considering my engine is stock other than a CAI. Now, if I was adding a ported intake, I would install a TB as well. The larger TBs do there job. One just has to consider the whole picture before deciding on what gains they should expect.
That's what I'm saying. It's not about the TB by itself but it completing your intake after you have the CAI & manifolds done. At $400 it's not worth it no matter what but at $250-$300 new or lightly used it's worth it to tie everything together. I wouldn't bother with the GT TB unless going FI. Seems to big for a stock 3.7
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Bazinga - mustangmarketplace on insta . It has died down a bit recently but a lot of stuff is on it. I have sold a lot of stuff through them

Old 10-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Look what was at my door less then 18 hours after ordering

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412871173309.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	167644  
Old 10-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Oh hell ya! slap that puppy on right meow and tell us how it feels....drive your car around a little first to warm it up. then install and do the same driving. very nice indeed.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Don't have the chance to install now gotta do an English paper before class . Gonna install it Saturday morning with the headers and LCAs.
It's a very quality piece. Heavy duty is an understatement lol. Instructions are ridiculously easy.
Hopefully I get some gains !!!

Old 10-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. It's not about the TB by itself but it completing your intake after you have the CAI & manifolds done. At $400 it's not worth it no matter what but at $250-$300 new or lightly used it's worth it to tie everything together. I wouldn't bother with the GT TB unless going FI. Seems to big for a stock 3.7
Now I will totally agree with you on that about the throttle body which was really my thoughts to begin with. Just giving a larger throttle body and not having a larger intake manifold is the issue. The throttle body can take more air in but as long as the intake manifold stays the same size your not really doing that much. The opening in the intake manifold is only so big so a larger thottle body will take a bit more air in but the factory intake manifold is still gonna restrict how much air is going in because of its size. I think the key to a larger throttle body being most effective is a needed larger intake manifold.

That's where one really needs a larger intake manifold but currently they isn't one for our 3.7. That's where I guess the next best thing would be to have a port and polish and then the larger throttle body. I believe all the past threads from years ago and about the larger 73mm throttle body was from people who have not gotten a port and polish.

Hopefully, a company will come up with a larger intake manifold so one won't have to do a port and polish.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
is your car a stick or auto, and do you have a tuner?

If your car is a stick, can you get me 2 3rd gear logs, one before, and one after? I'll compile the data and plug it into a virtual dyno program i have and play around with it a bit for you to try and spot the gains . 2000-7000 for the datalog, thanks.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

I have an auto :/

Old 10-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

I just emailed both Ken at MPT and Paul at Bama on what they can do to update my tune for the TB and headers. Hoping they can data log and do some kind of remote tuning somehow to get everything dialed in perfectly. I don't want to just install and not update my tune

Old 10-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

For the 73mm, they can tune for that easily. Now for the GT throttle body, you'd have to do datalogs.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Last time I spoke with Bama they said they do not offer tuning or revisions for the throttle body or for the headers.. Hoping that has changed

Old 10-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Last time I spoke with Bama they said they do not offer tuning or revisions for the throttle body or for the headers.. Hoping that has changed

Say what? It's literally on their form. Unless they changed it very recently.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Someone asked that on here and I said multiple times that they do and AM Alex said that they do , then changed to they do not. Let me try and find the thread . I was given the run around by Bama when I called to ask so my posts are a little angry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang