BBK 73MM Throttle Body - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Someone asked that on here and I said multiple times that they do and AM Alex said that they do , then changed to they do not. Let me try and find the thread . I was given the run around by Bama when I called to ask so my posts are a little angry

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
If that's their true stance, I think it's another reason AM needs to drop Bama and partner with MPT or Steeda instead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I can't find the thread. May have been on the GT section, it was awhile ago and I can't find it.
I remember it distinctly because I was so surprised. How could you have it on your check list for parts before you tune but not offer tune revisions or anything for it?

Not sure if that's their true stance or whatever the case is, I just remember that. Sent them an email, may just call them... I do hate calling them though.
Sent Paul an e-mail but my e-mail has been wonky and I bet he's super busy on the 2015s.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Last time I spoke with Bama they said they do not offer tuning or revisions for the throttle body or for the headers.. Hoping that has changed

Same here. I sent out for new tunes when i installed my shorties headers (GB93 is installing shorties as well).

You might be thinking LT headers. that they need to tune for but shorties there is no need for a tune. Maybe the TB and definitely for the ported manifolds.

Also GB93 if you can could you get the TB on the car before you do the headers? just so you can give us feedback on how it works out before and after header install
Fintile is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Same here. I sent out for new tunes when i installed my shorties headers (GB93 is installing shorties as well).

You might be thinking LT headers. that they need to tune for but shorties there is no need for a tune. Maybe the TB and definitely for the ported manifolds.
Yes I know it's a no-go on the shorty headers, in this particular case I'm talking about the throttle body

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Hopefully one of the AM guys can chime in, haven't seen them around on here for awhile though
Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Just passed the 10 minute mark waiting on hold for someone at Bama to pick up.....
the e-mail I received back from them was to request a new tune, didn't answer either of my questions about headers or TB lol.
Finally someone picked up.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

"I'm calling to find out about updating my tunes for my 2012 v6 I'm adding BBK shorty headers and a BBK 73mm throttle body"
'Ok let me pull up your information really quick. Brian O'Connor, address is _______, correct?'
"yes"
'What year is your mustang?'
"2012..."
'Ok cool, 2012 GT'
"no, I have a v6..."

Well that is not the way to start a phone call... lol.
So after waiting on hold for 10 minutes, having that interesting convo, I was emailed the form to fill out ... apparently they can't do it on the phone, which was my entire reason for calling.

Bama does NOT tune for the throttle body.
If they don't tune for the throttle body or for the headers, why am I filling out a form for a new tune if it's going to be literally the same? Where is all that extra air going that's being pumped going? Am I going to run rich? If they don't tune for the engine to account for it, how can my performance increase? I have a million questions, none of which were answered....
I really do not want to run a tune that does not account for the throttle body especially. Hopefully I will have better luck with MPT....
Old 10-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
AM needs to partner with Steeda or MPT.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

So I go to check my e-mail to fill out the form to send it in...
Guess what's not there? no form was e-mailed to me.
Check my spam folder, maybe it's there. Nope.

It's been 10 minutes. Maybe they didn't e-mail it yet. Don't say you e-mailed me it if you didn't send it yet.......
I'm assuming I am never getting this e-mail .....

I had an awesome experience with Paul when Alex set me up with him. I have had countless bad ones with Bama employees. I e-mailed Paul to ask these questions to avoid the Bama employees. His response was to call Bama or fill out the online tune request form. Didn't answer either of my questions.
Maybe since my write-up on Bama is not getting constant activity then I am pushed to the back of the line with everyone else.....
Old 10-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
To help settle you a little, any and all air coming into the engine is read by the MAF, so your fueling will still be fine.

More air does not mean more power, more timing does not mean more power, but the synergy of both is what makes power. With "substantially" more airflow, i would expect to add a * or two of timing to really complete the burn process, and make the most of it. I would also think the cams could be optimized to get more in, as well as more out. That being said, these are two mods you can likely just throw on and not worry about, but i'd still be more than happy to take a look at a log for you if youd like.

The biggest thing about changing a throttle body for me would be the load scaling. Basically, at the same throttle input, you'll now have the potential to bring in much more air, which could make the throttle very twitchy. DBW systems are very neat because of the amount of control they offer over the throttle, but they're also incredibly sensitive and delicate to tune. If, however, the throttle feels fine upon installation, i wouldn't bother with them.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
To help settle you a little, any and all air coming into the engine is read by the MAF, so your fueling will still be fine.

More air does not mean more power, more timing does not mean more power, but the synergy of both is what makes power. With "substantially" more airflow, i would expect to add a * or two of timing to really complete the burn process, and make the most of it. I would also think the cams could be optimized to get more in, as well as more out. That being said, these are two mods you can likely just throw on and not worry about, but i'd still be more than happy to take a look at a log for you if youd like.

The biggest thing about changing a throttle body for me would be the load scaling. Basically, at the same throttle input, you'll now have the potential to bring in much more air, which could make the throttle very twitchy. DBW systems are very neat because of the amount of control they offer over the throttle, but they're also incredibly sensitive and delicate to tune. If, however, the throttle feels fine upon installation, i wouldn't bother with them.
Thanks volt. I'm not so much worried about damage being done to my car, rather I want the most performance possible out of the mod's.
I'm not very knowledgeable on tuning and all that, but I get what you are saying. I would like increased throttle response, but not one that is twitchy or doesn't feel smooth.
I'm sure they can be thrown on and not worried about just fine, but my view is if I'm installing them and have paid a tuner, I want that tuner to get me the literal last drop of performance possible out of it.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I know it's a no-go on the shorty headers, in this particular case I'm talking about the throttle body
Oh I know i ment that last statement for the other guy who posted...i dint link himin the quote.

Quote:
So I go to check my e-mail to fill out the form to send it in...
Guess what's not there? no form was e-mailed to me.
Check my spam folder, maybe it's there. Nope.

It's been 10 minutes. Maybe they didn't e-mail it yet. Don't say you e-mailed me it if you didn't send it yet.......
I'm assuming I am never getting this e-mail .....

I had an awesome experience with Paul when Alex set me up with him. I have had countless bad ones with Bama employees. I e-mailed Paul to ask these questions to avoid the Bama employees. His response was to call Bama or fill out the online tune request form. Didn't answer either of my questions.
Maybe since my write-up on Bama is not getting constant activity then I am pushed to the back of the line with everyone else.....
it takes time, emails are not instant...at least not all. i had to wait 20 mins for an email from my bank. sat on the phone till it appeared. waiting sucks.

and whats with this being pushed to the back of the line with everyone else?!
honestly i would have sent for the tune revision when you first bought the headers. its what i did. I bought the headers, then sent for a tune from BAMA. Tune got to me just after the headers. after that it was just a matter of loading into my tuner for download.
Now if you need to datalog for a part well then you will need to wait until after its installed like when porting intake manifolds.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'll just keep waving my MPT flag for now lol. Revisions I ask from them take 3 days MAYBE before their lead calibrator emails them back to me, stating what he changed. Not the specifics, but in general.

Yet when I asked Bama (I asked for a revision there because I'm going to use my smaller winter tires soon and I only bought 1 MPT tune), it took over a week.

Now I'm sure Bama has more customers to get to, being the larger of the two. But sometimes those tunes are pretty time sensitive. Not in my case of tires, but others of more critical parts that could cause problems.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I think I'll just keep waving my MPT flag for now lol. Revisions I ask from them take 3 days MAYBE before their lead calibrator emails them back to me, stating what he changed. Not the specifics, but in general.

Yet when I asked Bama (I asked for a revision there because I'm going to use my smaller winter tires soon and I only bought 1 MPT tune), it took over a week.

Now I'm sure Bama has more customers to get to, being the larger of the two. But sometimes those tunes are pretty time sensitive. Not in my case of tires, but others of more critical parts that could cause problems.

I think i will wait to go the MPT route until i'm 100% done with my car...at wich point i will send them a datalog just to clarify.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

MPT answered my email in 10 minutes guess I am just used to them lol. I'm using to being Bama being instant for me when I was doing my tuner write up. I get that emails take time but when the person says "its been sent " I'm expecting the email to be there. An hour and it's still not there. That leads me to believe it was not sent

Old 10-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
"I'm calling to find out about updating my tunes for my 2012 v6 I'm adding BBK shorty headers and a BBK 73mm throttle body"
'Ok let me pull up your information really quick. Brian O'Connor, address is _______, correct?'
"yes"
'What year is your mustang?'
"2012..."
'Ok cool, 2012 GT'
"no, I have a v6..."
HE HAS A NAME!!!

Sorry, just have had no idea what to call ya except by your really long screen name, unless you prefer GB93? lol

Oh and get on up here for that cruise this weekend if your not going to instal the parts...shoot if we have time maybe we can all help you out...no promises as we might grab drinks afterward. None the less it will be a blast.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
HE HAS A NAME!!!

Sorry, just have had no idea what to call ya except by your really long screen name, unless you prefer GB93? lol

Oh and get on up here for that cruise this weekend if your not going to instal the parts...shoot if we have time maybe we can all help you out...no promises as we might grab drinks afterward. None the less it will be a blast.
Brian O'Connor. And he's going to school to be a cop. Fast and Furious anyone?

Old 10-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao and I drive a bright blue car like his skyline.... I get that a few time times a week Lmao

Old 10-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh CRAP!! I just realized that!!
Old 10-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Wait, your name actually is Brian O'Connor? I totally thought that was a F&F spiff lol. So tell me, what's the better TB for my V6, a Gallo73 or Gallo80?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think I'll just keep waving my MPT flag for now lol.

EXACTLY! MPT & done! I sent data logs to Bama's lead calibrator Paul on Monday and I'm still waiting to hear back. I'm not going to say anything and see how long it takes them to get back to me.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao yeah that's my real name
Hahaha name on the drink cup that was one of my favorite parts

Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Now not to be the big d bag here but I'm really confused about why one would not tune for a larger throttle body. To me that would be like buying a CAI and not tuning for it. One is installing a larger 73 mm throttle body for more air flow and yet the computer thinks you still have the factory 68mm throttle body. I would think in order to get the most from the larger throttle body you would want the CPU to recognize you have a larger throttle body on there and yet with no tune you have a 73 mm throttle body that is gonna take in same amount of air or not much morr as the factory throttle body because the CPU thinks that's what is on there because of no new tune.

Maybe I'm missing something

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

That's the same boat I'm in kona. Hopefully one of the AM guys can clarify for us.
MPT is gonna do a bunch of data logs with me to get it locked in.
Still no email from bama lol

Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
The CPU will see any airflow increase because of the MAF. A tune is used to fine tune the setup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I wonder how many times your going to hear that at the Academy. And you like cars, dang. We have an O'Connor lost twin.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's the same boat I'm in kona. Hopefully one of the AM guys can clarify for us.
MPT is gonna do a bunch of data logs with me to get it locked in.
Still no email from bama lol

This is what AM says on their site>>>
Will my Mustang Need a Custom Tune?
Another great debate in the performance world! When you upgrade your throttle body, it is not required to recalibrate your computer with a custom tune. That being said, we highly recommend getting a custom tuner to fully utilize not only your intake mods, but all of your upgraded parts. Our Bama Tune Specialists can incorporate the larger throttle body into your tune files to ensure you get optimum performance from your upgrade. The custom tune will let your Mustang’s computer (ECU) know there is increased air flow and will correct the air/fuel ratio.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Yes that's what it says and when I called they said no they won't incorporate it into the tune lol

Old 10-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes that's what it says and when I called they said no they won't incorporate it into the tune lol

That's when you incorporate your foot in someone's ***.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's when you incorporate your foot in someone's ***.

Not in, up.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

When the person I'm speaking to thinks I have a GT when theyre looking at my info and I tell them prior I have a v6... I lose hope

Why does Bama ask the year and model? They seriously don't have this written down? I'm baffled by this. He knew my address and said he brought all my info up and then had to ask. He didn't say oh 2012 correct? He just asked what year. Then said GT right. No. I'm just confused by that whole exchange. Really makes you worried this person has anything to do w your car lol

Old 10-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When the person I'm speaking to thinks I have a GT when theyre looking at my info and I tell them prior I have a v6... I lose hope

Why does Bama ask the year and model? They seriously don't have this written down? I'm baffled by this. He knew my address and said he brought all my info up and then had to ask. He didn't say oh 2012 correct? He just asked what year. Then said GT right. No. I'm just confused by that whole exchange. Really makes you worried this person has anything to do w your car lol

Precisely why when I do tune my car, whether it's a month from now, or 3 years, unless BAMA gets their act together, I will not use their tunes.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Now not to be the big d bag here but I'm really confused about why one would not tune for a larger throttle body. To me that would be like buying a CAI and not tuning for it. One is installing a larger 73 mm throttle body for more air flow and yet the computer thinks you still have the factory 68mm throttle body. I would think in order to get the most from the larger throttle body you would want the CPU to recognize you have a larger throttle body on there and yet with no tune you have a 73 mm throttle body that is gonna take in same amount of air or not much morr as the factory throttle body because the CPU thinks that's what is on there because of no new tune.

Maybe I'm missing something

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
Maybe this is reason why majority of the reviews surrounding bigger TBs are crappy. No shieet there won't be any significant gains if you're using it on a car tuned to run stock 68mm TB.

It like putting Steeda CAI on a non-tuned and complaining its a waste of money.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

Hey Volt since you talked about twitching and given your background in tuning, I have a question (Paul @ Bama never gave me a specific answer when I have asked him). I am running Bama's 91R beta tune right, I have had few revisions done to it regarding twitchy throttle and pinging by use of datalogs. It still hasn't solved my problem. My car has still has a twitchy/overly sensitive throttle, it sort of jerks through out the pull each time I stomp on gas paddle and its really annoying. My only mod is CAI so far.

Also, my car hesitates/bogs down/chokes (I don't know how to describe it) when I press the paddle to go wot. For example gear 3, from 2-2.8k rpms. It will hesitate a bit before taking off when I floor it. Sometimes it will accelerate fine from low rpms, hesitate/jerk a bit during and then takes off have climbed up. Its been constant since I have been with Bama. Before and after Paul took over.

Any idea what the issues might be? No such problems with mpt. Smooth driveability.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Hey Volt since you talked about twitching and given your background in tuning, I have a question (Paul @ Bama never gave me a specific answer when I have asked him). I am running Bama's 91R beta tune right, I have had few revisions done to it regarding twitchy throttle and pinging by use of datalogs. It still hasn't solved my problem. My car has still has a twitchy/overly sensitive throttle, it sort of jerks through out the pull each time I stomp on gas paddle and its really annoying. My only mod is CAI so far.

Also, my car hesitates/bogs down/chokes (I don't know how to describe it) when I press the paddle to go wot. For example gear 3, from 2-2.8k rpms. It will hesitate a bit before taking off when I floor it. Sometimes it will accelerate fine from low rpms, hesitate/jerk a bit during and then takes off have climbed up. Its been constant since I have been with Bama. Before and after Paul took over.

Any idea what the issues might be? No such problems with mpt. Smooth driveability.
Twitchy throttle is the race tune. One of the reasons they don't recommend it for daily use is the overly sensitive throttle response.

That bogging is why I ditched CAIs. Had so many bogging issues I just sold them and used a drop in K&N filter. It wasn't until after I got headers that a CAI started to make more sense. You have all this air going in and no where for it to go.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Maybe this is reason why majority of the reviews surrounding bigger TBs are crappy. No shieet there won't be any significant gains if you're using it on a car tuned to run stock 68mm TB.

It like putting Steeda CAI on a non-tuned and complaining its a waste of money.

Yes sir, my thoughts exactly bro.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang