BBK 73MM Throttle Body - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
BBK 73MM Throttle Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Do the TB test!!!!

GT 5.0 over axel pipes are 2.75". Also isn't 2.75" too big for the V6 N/A?

My mistake. It's 2.5" not 2.75". I only bought the 55567 and 55568 pipes from ebay. I think I bought it for just about $100 for the pair.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1413069257.769792.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	167740
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
My mistake. It's 2.5" not 2.75". I only bought the 55567 and 55568 pipes from ebay. I think I bought it for just about $100 for the pair.

Attachment 167740
So it's 2.5" for the GT 5.0 over axels? Nice pricing too...how does it sound and perform? Any sound clips?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder if it would do anything while using a GT H pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Attachment 167740

Are they stainless?
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Are they stainless?

Yes, stainless. If weather is good tom, I'll take photo of the pipes. I'm due for oil change anyway. I removed the 2.25" sections of the pipes as well as the 2.25" transition section of BBK catted x pipe. Bridged and clamped with a 10" lenght 2.5" stainless pipes.
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Cool system!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Throttle body is on! Working on headers now. Having a lot of difficulty getting the last bolt to the cat

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Throttle body is on! Working on headers now. Having a lot of difficulty getting the last bolt to the cat

Long extensions and impact if you have one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

No impact lol.
Finally got it out. Just took a lot of work

Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #185

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Yes, stainless. If weather is good tom, I'll take photo of the pipes. I'm due for oil change anyway. I removed the 2.25" sections of the pipes as well as the 2.25" transition section of BBK catted x pipe. Bridged and clamped with a 10" lenght 2.5" stainless pipes.
Let us know how these are please! These look like a great option so that i can use the roush axle backs, with the advantages of a true cat back exhaust. Jegs says it is aluminized, not stainless steel. Which are they? Thanks!
StevenMcTowelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Throttle body installed. Headers ... Not so much. Gonna finish them tomorrow. Got all the bolts off just have to get something to get one of the bolts out of the OEM headers and put the BBK ones on

Old 10-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Link to AM's ad to sell products

Is a Bigger Mustang Throttle Body Always Better?
As I see it, the throttle body may not require a tune, the question is, will a change in tune to include the throttle body change, have any value?
There's a lot of pproducts that do not require a tune but would benefit by a change in tune.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

Having another go at them . I won't admit defeat

Old 10-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Having another go at them . I won't admit defeat

PB blaster is your friend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
PB blaster is your friend.

Yes, PB blaster and myself have spent lots of time together swearing at bolts and parts!
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #191
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
BBK 73MM Throttle Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Yes, PB blaster and myself have spent lots of time together swearing at bolts and parts!

This.

I let those tough ones marinate in PB Blaster for a while.

With enough PB Blaster and 4 letter words, you can get anything loose.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did you drive around with just the throttle body to see how it felt with the stock exhaust manifolds?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

No I didn't did it all at once. Brought it to my mechanic friend who used a torch to get the last bolt out of the stock header. Tightening the headers and test driving hopefully in 2 hours!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No I didn't did it all at once. Brought it to my mechanic friend who used a torch to get the last bolt out of the stock header. Tightening the headers and test driving hopefully in 2 hours!

Good luck bro.. It's gonna be awesome..

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #195
Registered Member
Regular

Headers alone are going to be night an day difference. I wish I had a TB to test out before I installed my headers
Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

I was gonna but we have had to work around rain here. not having a big enough garage sucks

Old 10-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
GB93, Hey bro. Glad too hear your making progress. Just for my own curiosity and certainly not trying to make a debate between the members but what made you choose short tube headers over Long tube headers.

If I'm not mistaken one gets more power gains from the long tubes over the short tubes and with my 3:73 gearing my low end pickup is great.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #198
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
GB93, Hey bro. Glad too hear your making progress. Just for my own curiosity and certainly not trying to make a debate between the members but what made you choose short tube headers over Long tube headers.

If I'm not mistaken one gets more power gains from the long tubes over the short tubes and with my 3:73 gearing my low end pickup is great.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
The general consensus of dyno curves is that the shorties offer slightly more low end torque. Past that, they're basically the same as stock on the upper end.

Longtubes give their full advantage at the higher end of the powerband.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

A number of reasons Mr. Kona.
1. I live in NY, have to keep cat's on, so no LT's lol.
2. I feel the car lacks more low-end, and as my DD I spend 90% of my driving time in the low-end band. The shorties will give me a nice boost down low.
3. Sound. I like the sound the shorties give an exhaust and as I have my exhaust just the way I like it, hopefully this will be the finishing touch. I did not want the rasp an O/R x and LT's would give me.
4. Price. This wasn't so much a deciding factor for me, but a nice surprise. $320 for my ceramic shorty headers new, no install fee since I did it myself. O/R x plus LT's would be about $800, plus an install fee of anywhere from $350-500.... almost a 1k price difference. Again, not a big factor when I was deciding but a nice realization I saved some $.

Pretty much a big combination of everything, mainly being sound, down low power, and location (NY) for emissions that led to me picking shorties.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

How do you like the feel?! Or have you not installed them fully yet?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #201
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Would you say the shorties took some of the "harshness" out of the exhaust? I know people say it makes the sound deeper, but what about smoother? We just installed a Catless H-pipe with resonators on my GFs car this weekend, and the "tone" is good, but its just a little harsh at certain rpms... almost like when your radio is too loud and your speakers will clip or break up. Hoping a set of shorties (aside from the power gains) will smooth the sound out some. Thanks.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Would you say the shorties took some of the "harshness" out of the exhaust? I know people say it makes the sound deeper, but what about smoother? We just installed a Catless H-pipe with resonators on my GFs car this weekend, and the "tone" is good, but its just a little harsh at certain rpms... almost like when your radio is too loud and your speakers will clip or break up. Hoping a set of shorties (aside from the power gains) will smooth the sound out some. Thanks.
Can't say 100% with that set up but before i had my shorties i had just GT H pipe and Magnaflows, exhaust was deep but sounded like a bloody Tacoma Pre-Runner V6...just ***BRUUUUUH*** from 3k-4,500k once installed the shorties it mellowed it out. exhaust isnt as harsh and it has a nice muscular burble sound to it. I'd say get them and try it!
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #203
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Shorties definitely help with smoothing your exhaust sound out. A friend of mine had gt500 quads and he was complaining about having a rough exhaust note. After shorties, it sounds like a mellow Aston Martin/maserati for that matter without any harshness

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sounds good, thanks for the input guys.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Shorties also help with keeping rasp/obnoxious tone out of your exhaust. Fastford's (I guess?) Roush mufflers gave him an excellent tone for his liking after he put a pair of shorties on.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #206
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
A number of reasons Mr. Kona.
1. I live in NY, have to keep cat's on, so no LT's lol.
2. I feel the car lacks more low-end, and as my DD I spend 90% of my driving time in the low-end band. The shorties will give me a nice boost down low.
3. Sound. I like the sound the shorties give an exhaust and as I have my exhaust just the way I like it, hopefully this will be the finishing touch. I did not want the rasp an O/R x and LT's would give me.
4. Price. This wasn't so much a deciding factor for me, but a nice surprise. $320 for my ceramic shorty headers new, no install fee since I did it myself. O/R x plus LT's would be about $800, plus an install fee of anywhere from $350-500.... almost a 1k price difference. Again, not a big factor when I was deciding but a nice realization I saved some $.

Pretty much a big combination of everything, mainly being sound, down low power, and location (NY) for emissions that led to me picking shorties.
10-4 good buddy. Just curious but say you wanted long tube headers where you live and you purchased the catted high flowing mid pipe. Is it safe to say it would then pass NY state emission inspections since it would have cats, just high flowing cats or not.

I know Maryland is not like California where as long as you have cats on modifing headers and mid pipes are not any issues. The reason I have an off road mid pipe is because I live in a rural part of the state that does not have emission testing. If I did have emission testing I would still have purchased the long tube headers but just gotten the catted high flowing x pipe .

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

Can't have after market cats unless yours break and the manufacturer no longer makes them. It's some bS.

So the headers are finally on. Had a big exhaust leak and had to tighten up the bolts to the cat on the right side. Got that done and she sounds good.

Car sounds absolutely Amazing. It quited out my Borla ATAKs and they are so deep now. The idle sounds sort of like a ghost cam tune MPT makes.

Throttle response down low is increased.
I know there is a break in period of about 50 miles before the performance gains start to be felt.
Throttle body has really increased mid range throttle response. There is no more "kick in" or lag before the power comes, it is constant and steady throughout . Really really love it.
Will post a video and review on both products tomorrow after I break them in !
Couldn't be happier with both products, the sound is literally orgasmic.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can't have after market cats unless yours break and the manufacturer no longer makes them. It's some bS.

So the headers are finally on. Had a big exhaust leak and had to tighten up the bolts to the cat on the right side. Got that done and she sounds good.

Car sounds absolutely Amazing. It quited out my Borla ATAKs and they are so deep now. The idle sounds sort of like a ghost cam tune MPT makes.

Throttle response down low is increased.
I know there is a break in period of about 50 miles before the performance gains start to be felt.
Throttle body has really increased mid range throttle response. There is no more "kick in" or lag before the power comes, it is constant and steady throughout . Really really love it.

Thats awesome.. Now you'll get used to it like mine and want more.. I'm thinking upgrading my driveshaft. Mods just keeps on adding.. Lol

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #209
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that's just your headers buddy. Like i said night and day. Not sure about needing a 50 mile break in period. I could feel a lot more trq down low and through the mid range immediately after installing them.
Oh! Highway driving is such a BLAST!! The car is just all around much more responsive.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm feeling that. But there's also increased response and power 3500-4500/5000 RPMs . I feel that kick in separate

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang