The theory of getting long tube headers. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The theory of getting long tube headers.

When we put on long tube headers using the same straight pipe after the x pipe ( catted or not ) and same mufflers how are we getting gains? I understand that the new long tube headers are less restricting then stock headers but why does that even matter when you are channeling that exhaust into the same stock straight pipe ? Shouldn't you increase the diameter in your straight pipes and mufflers to really get any gains ?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
It's all about the velocity of the gasses going through the tube. Trying to put it in the most layman terms I can think of. The smaller and longer the tube the faster air will travel through it.

Fluid dynamics concepts.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I thought it had to do with giving each cylinder a little more "breathing room" so the exhaust gasses aren't hitting each other as much. You do also want to increase the overall diameter and flow all the way down also if possible.

Its like they (exhaust gases coming from each cylinder) are waiting in line for the next guy to move out the way. Long tubes give them longer lines to hold/expand the queued gases with out getting backed up. If that makes sense.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I hear what u guys are saying but For sake of argument don't those same gasses get forced together before the x pipe regardless of the how long the headers are . So I guess I mean to say is since it's the same diameter of piping shouldn't any given square inch of exhaust leave the tail pipe at the same rate regardless of the headers ?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Stock header compare to BBK long tube.
ttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
I thought it had to do with giving each cylinder a little more "breathing room" so the exhaust gasses aren't hitting each other as much. You do also want to increase the overall diameter and flow all the way down also if possible.

Its like they (exhaust gases coming from each cylinder) are waiting in line for the next guy to move out the way. Long tubes give them longer lines to hold/expand the queued gases with out getting backed up. If that makes sense.

Keep in mind that regardless of whether you have shorties or long tubes, the gasses are all traveling the same distance from cylinder head to muffler. The long tube headers require a modified midpipe to accommodate their length. So they both have the same "breathing room".

Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons View Post
Yeah I hear what u guys are saying but For sake of argument don't those same gasses get forced together before the x pipe regardless of the how long the headers are . So I guess I mean to say is since it's the same diameter of piping shouldn't any given square inch of exhaust leave the tail pipe at the same rate regardless of the headers ?

It's fluid dynamics. A physics principal that is a lot more than I could explain in a forum post. The long tube headers will increase the velocity, therefore leaving at a higher rate.

There's a balance between the diameter and length of the tubes. If the diameter is too large it will make the exhaust gas expand and cause them to slow down.

I understand thinking it's about volume, but it's really about velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I seem to have a better understanding thanks guys

Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Velocity, turbulance/vector of gases & volume of pipe(s) all affect how well an exhaust system works.

Lets say you have 3 long tubes at 1.5" diameter that merge to a 3" pipe. (i'm not sure about the sizes of this particular set up, but the same math generally applies... more pipes = more volume.)

(diameter x pi x # of pipes)

That 3" pipe is a bottleneck at (3 x 3.14 x 1 ) = 9.42 square inches of space

The three 1.5" pipes have a combined size of ( 1.5" x 3.14 x 3 ) = 14.13 sq inches

So longer headers give them 50% more room to expand from the engine and get moving in the right direction..... AND then the part you're talking about with velocity... having a longer pipe decreases turbulence, so the air is heading the correct direction by the end of the long header... so they mix easier at the better joint, so better air flow.

Also some stock headers like the one pictured aren't optimal, b/c the headers aren't of equal length. Usually you want the section of pipe from the block to the merge point as equal as possible, which is why you often see the cylinder closest to the rear of the car (shortest distance to go) have extra bends in it to make the distances all the same.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Whew... here we go, from the top.

"Tuned length headers" make power because of the way they effect the exhaust gasses. When the cylinder fires, and the exhaust gas starts making its way down the LT runner, it creates a high pressure zone.
When that high pressure zone reaches the collector the other 2 runners are "low pressure zones" in comparison, and the high pressure wave will actually reverse direction back up 1 of the runners (depending on firing order). Once that pressure wave reaches the exhaust valve it will reverse direction again, and if this is timed properly, will be moving away as that exhaust valve is opening and actively put a vacuum on the cylinder which helps pull the exhaust gas out. The reason NA motors like overlap is because when the exhaust is putting a vacuum on the cylinder, if the intake valve is open as well, it pulls more fresh air into the cylinder than it otherwise could on its own. You can see how this is virtually impossible on the stock Log style manifold, as all the gas is basically just being pushed out.

As far as going into the catback. When the pulses are separated like this, and not just all crammed at once, they take up significantly less space in the exhaust pipe.

In regards to velocity, that's where things start getting tricky. In the old days, you always used to hear: "bigger exhaust gives horsepower but loses torque," which is 100% true. Torque is determined by velocity; namely, how fast air enters and leaves the cylinder. A skinny pipe will have a high velocity, and great torque, at the cost of horsepower higher up due to physical flow restrictions. Consequently, a larger pipe would reduce torque for the sake of better flow at the top end.
With the advances in these Ti-Vct motors however, we can manipulate the cam events to match our exhaust set up, and see massive gains in both torque and horsepower by tuning the exhaust gas pulses to be more efficient. Keep in mind also, removing the cats will improve velocity.

Lastly, 2.25" piping is not as small as you think. A single 2.5" catback on a turbo 4 cylinder will support 400 whp, and you have TWO 2.25" pipes trying to support ~300 whp. It is more than enough pipe. Hell, the Terminators use dual 2.5" pipes.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

With all the fart smellers.. I mean smart fellas in here, we should get our CAD & fluid dynamic computer model simulators out and design a better exhaust system than Ford or any of the after market guys.

Personally, with the money I'm spending on my car with aftermarket parts already (almost $5k) and much more planned in future, I'm kinda wishing I had just ponied up the extra for a Shelby GT500 Convertible. I wasn't THAT far off, with having a loaded GT Premium Convertible at $46k.

Then I'd have all the better parts that I'm going to end up putting on anyway and have them with a warranty... and the big one.... I'd have better resale value.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

This is exhausting.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
This is exhausting.
People saying exhaust threads are exhausting is exhausting to hear. Even though they are right, it is exhausting to hear about exhaust repeatedly. We've exhausted the exhaust topics.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

I need a nap.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I need a nap.
You exhausted of hearing about the exhaustive exhaust topics?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm the residual byproducts of hydrocarbon combustion of this conversation .... am i doing it right?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

This is good stuff

Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #17

What do y'all think about the super beast system by pypes from American muscle. (Long tubes, off road x, and the pype bombs.) is it worth the money to run them on my 4.6 3v??

Joeburgess
joeburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #18

Region: Kentucky
with pipe size also consider water flowing through a garden hose vs the same volume of water flowing through a sewer pipe; which travels faster? the restriction actually makes it move faster out of the system
mittermiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittermiller View Post
with pipe size also consider water flowing through a garden hose vs the same volume of water flowing through a sewer pipe; which travels faster? the restriction actually makes it move faster out of the system
Bad analogy. A hose generally has a much higher pressure usually from a large elevated reservoir.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang