PCSing to Germany and TUV questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
PCSing to Germany and TUV questions

I'm possibly PCSing to Germany and will ship my Mustang over. I have a couple of questions about TUV and whether or not they will reject it for being too loud. The regulations state that it can't exceed 95 decibels. I have have shorty headers, catback Borla touring exhaust, and a CAI. Unfortunately I won't have the stock parts with me since I won't be shipping them over but all together would this ruin my chances of failing?
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Put stock parts in the trunk

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You will likely fail as set up now. Might want to get a sound check to see where you stand. As mentioned above, original parts in the trunk is a good idea.
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #4
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Also, you could try finding someone with a decibel meter to see where you sit now with your current exhaust. I think they even have apps out now that measure decibels. Just not sure how accurate they are.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
Put stock parts in the trunk

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This and you won't fail with setup. To be on the safe side you could get a reading before you leave but it won't matter as what most of us did was just put the stock mufflers back on before you go to inspection. Stock mufflers and shorty headers will definitely pass. I had a '04 GT vert with Magnaflow catback while I was there and that's what I did just swap them out before hand.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm hearing that TUV at Graf will only check to see if your car is Autobahn ready and more concerned with safety as opposed to noise. My buddy also said that most of the inspectors are just there to collect a check. I have my stock airbox for the CAI, but the stock catbacks are gone. I also have the stock headers but those would be a pain in the rear to swap out. I e-mailed Borla and they said that they're touring catback meets the 95 db requirement but couldn't give me an accurate number as to how loud they were. I think I would be more conerned if I had ATAK's on there. I'll try and get a db reading before I PCS. Someone did tell me that I guess 95 db is same as a jackhammer at 50 ft. away.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Borla touring catback isn't that loud. Do you still have cats on the car? If you do then it should pass.
95 decibels is the equivalent to a jack hammer at 50 feet.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Borla touring catback isn't that loud. Do you still have cats on the car? If you do then it should pass.
95 decibels is the equivalent to a jack hammer at 50 feet.
Yes I do. Really glad I didn't get an X Pipe installed now too. I actually kept them on in the event that I PCS to place where they do emissions or move back home. TN and KY don't have emissions or safety so you can pretty much make your car as loud as you want. I appreciate the reply though it really does put my mind at ease.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Dude your doing to much lol. You don't need to do anything with your shorty headers or CAI. If you don't have your stock mufflers, not the whole cat-back just the mufflers then that's ok. Like I said most just put on the stock mufflers because they know there setup is to loud or just to be safe. You have a Borla Touring cat-back which is one of the quietest of them all so you will be fine.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have a stock axleback if you're super worried

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

The auto one so it's super quiet

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Good luck with your PCS...I enjoyed being stationed in (West)Germany back in the 80's and 90's.
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Inspection will only check decibles if it seems outrageously loud. You should be fine on the autobahn but if you roll through little towns @ WOT you're gonna get hassled by Polizei. Impromptu check points do pop up from time to time, but they're not going to hassle you unless you get all over the throttle.

Graf is out there enough that there's a lot of good driving, have fun with it.

You won't be able to fill the trunk with parts btw, they're gonna make you empty the car, or at least they did mine coming back from Clay. In fact I had to have less than 1/4 tank of gas too.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordySanchez View Post
You won't be able to fill the trunk with parts btw, they're gonna make you empty the car, or at least they did mine coming back from Clay. In fact I had to have less than 1/4 tank of gas too.
I was able to but I don't know if thats service dependant or not. I'm in the AF and was @ Ramstein frim '06-'09. I just had my stock mufflers in the trunk. Dunno OP but I guess try to ship them with your TMO? I think he said he doesn't have the stock stuff anymore so I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I just left graf the inspection is not TUV it's just a usaeur inspection. As for noise you cannot exceed 81 db at a 45 degree angle and 1 foot from car. Also the vehicle has to be at least 50 meters from any building. Just read the regulation. My v6 passed with pypes axel backs right at 80 db. The inspection is not easy they are very through. Just make sure you know the regulation also look up AE Motorsports when you get there. They are a great group of guys.
armymustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang