Wheels - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
Lol it's 1.5k and it's 540AA so it has a lot of tread

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

540aa doesnt mean it has a lot of tread, it just means its a rock hard compound that will last forever... my GFs v6 spins the tires with a 300 treadwear 275. May want to look into some more tire there unless you need an all season because of your climate.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
540aa doesnt mean it has a lot of tread, it just means its a rock hard compound that will last forever... my GFs v6 spins the tires with a 300 treadwear 275. May want to look into some more tire there unless you need an all season because of your climate.
You saying that the tire will last longer but wont be as beneficial due to how hard the compound is?
Fintile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
You saying that the tire will last longer but wont be as beneficial due to how hard the compound is?
Harder compound tire leads to less contact with the road, so less traction.

It should last longer though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Correct. Soft tires (ie: grippier) Dont last as long by their nature. You're lucky to get 15k miles out of a Serious tire, and 20-25k out of most summer tires. The less performance oriented a tire is, the longer it will last due to the nature of the compound. I think my dad has had his mazda 3 sedan for... 10-11 years now and its had maybe 4 sets of tires over 140k miles. My mazdaspeed3 made 500 whp and in the 3 years i had it i went through 4 or 5 sets of tires over 60k miles lol.

Granted im talking both ends of the extreme here, but you see my point.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Makes sense...also did you see the post I made regarding tires grouping in the newbie thread? I always thought SUMMER tires were for better traction during summer heat and DRY weather but they infact are better for wet weather traction, heavy rain and dont soften as much in high heat as some of the other types. Also ive been buying all season tire under the misconception they are better for wet traction when in fact the are not BAD but they tend to lean right in the middle between wet and dry traction as well as have some befit in light snow so the trade of with traction is there...its a real interesting site, has links and such for other things tire related. Should be good for everyone.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

I sure did see that. Really the only "summer" tires that suffer in the rain are the extreme like 100 tread wear tires, which most people in their right mind wouldn't DD anyways because you'd be lucky to get 10k miles out of them. No sense burning out nice tires on the highway.

Theres always a fine line between what you're willing to pay for tires. On my mazda, I would skimp out and buy the cheaper all seasons because I wanted them to last longer. At my power levels though, I was lucky to see 15-20k miles out of them anyways, so I figured it was worth going to a tire that would actually grip since they were only going to last 15-20k miles anyways.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Very true...now that Im up in the New England area im considering going back to the Summer tire seeing as I have no need for All season since Ill be running winter tires 1/3 the year anyway.

San Diego was always a crapshoot. Sometimes it rain in summer mostly in Dec and Jan but never longer than 2 -3 days and no more than 6 times a year...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang