Why do you tease, Raxiom? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Why do you tease, Raxiom?

Saw this show up on the New Products page over at AM and immediately perked up Raxiom Mustang Tail Light Conversion Trim 301043 (10-12 All) - Free Shipping

Until... I saw it's just a piece of plastic to cover the gap after a 13' tail light conversion onto an 11-12.

That said, for you folks dealing with that gap, might be cool to have. $75 is a little steep for plastic strips though...
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Play your cards right and you could get it for ~$65 with forum discount and first to review product!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Play your cards right and you could get it for ~$65 with forum discount and first to review product!
Lol I'm good with my Aeros. Of course I'd love the 13 lights, I just can't justify $800+ for tail light housings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Someone on here who Can make simple things should buy these, and just make copies. $25 each, and four Would pay for it, The rest all profit. $ 75 is absurd for some plastic, that must be at least 80% markup.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Well, I mean it's a good idea. But it seems half-baked. Hopefully this is just a place holder and actual 2013-style taillights are coming for the '10-12.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Why do you tease, Raxiom?

Probably closer to a 97% mark up.

Couldn't cost more than $5.

And it should be the color of the car to blend in more.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Looks like AM is gonna have to send a few samples out to get customers talking.

Pick me and fill this gap. Thanks! :p

(Not the best pic lol)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1412994880.538328.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	167707

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
A lot of you guys forget the R and D that goes into these products. You have to think about labor, designing, creating prototypes, ensuring correct fitment, etc. and there is a good chance for these parts they go through these phases multiple times. It's not easy nor cheap. That's why new model car parts are more expensive then models that are 15-20 years old. Once these companies recoup their R and D then they price it more in line with production costs.

Sure this piece of plastic doesn't cost 75 dollars but does it really cost hundred of dollars to make a mid pipe or 5-8 hundred to make an axle back?

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
A lot of you guys forget the R and D that goes into these products. You have to think about labor, designing, creating prototypes, ensuring correct fitment, etc. and there is a good chance for these parts they go through these phases multiple times. It's not easy nor cheap. That's why new model car parts are more expensive then models that are 15-20 years old. Once these companies recoup their R and D then they price it more in line with production costs.

Sure this piece of plastic doesn't cost 75 dollars but does it really cost hundred of dollars to make a mid pipe or 5-8 hundred to make an axle back?

Well, old cars are cheaper than new cars because cars are depreciating assets. Otherwise I agree.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post

How much R&D do you think is going into these plastic inserts?

Axle back systems actually take R&D. They are tuned for sound and built to be in an area of the car that sees a lot of abuse.

Plastic inserts under the tail lights though...
Old 10-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
How much R&D do you think is going into these plastic inserts?

Axle back systems actually take R&D. They are tuned for sound and built to be in an area of the car that sees a lot of abuse.

Plastic inserts under the tail lights though...
I agree mufflers take more R&D but how about X pipes? Its existentially 15-20 dollars worth or pipe that is bent that they charge 3-4 hundred dollars for. I'm sure these inserts don't take as much R&D but at the same time its only $75. They still have to design the product, develop the mold, test it, mass produce it, etc. And sometimes these phases have to be repeated to perfect the design/ fitment. All I am saying is that if you have the mind set of 'well it doesn't cost that much to make it' nobody would buy anything for their cars because anything car specific has extreme markup especially on newer model cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Well, old cars are cheaper than new cars because cars are depreciating assets. Otherwise I agree.
Im not talking about the price of the car but the price of parts. If you look at the price of a catback exhaust system for a fox body it is cheaper then an axle back for the S197's. You would think it would cost more because your getting more piping but thats not the case. Because most companies still have R&D costs incorporated into pricing on newer cars.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
they know that since these parts are basically for show, people are willing to spend money on them so why not charge more. i was thinking maybe one person could buy it and 3d scan it then 3d print a bunch of them lol.
deadpandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If I had the 13 taillights I would totally buy these. But thats just because im OCD and it would drive me crazy. Might actually save up and buy a pair just because of this. As dumb as that may sound... haha
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The only reason they haven't come up with full blown genuine 13 style lights by now, to me, has to be something with design patents by Ford and not infringing on those.

The gen 5 lights are similar, but vary in quite a few ways, enough to get around a patent issue I'd say. Just my 0.02 though.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
All they need is a 12, some 13 lights, and fill it in. Then remove, shape it, and make a mold for it. Fill that mold, empty, repeat. For a major company, that is a joke.

But, I would be willing to test these out and review them- and I don't think $75 is ridiculous, but for me, not worth it. The gap isn't that bad and I'd sooner get some great foam, epoxy, and paint. I'd spend half as much, be done in the shipment time frame, and have some extra supplies.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
The only reason they haven't come up with full blown genuine 13 style lights by now, to me, has to be something with design patents by Ford and not infringing on those.

The gen 5 lights are similar, but vary in quite a few ways, enough to get around a patent issue I'd say. Just my 0.02 though.

I think you are right. But when and what would cause this to change? Time?
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
This is "AMERICA" and you have a choice.

If you see something you want you can purchase it and enjoy it.
If you think it costs too much, You do have the right not to purchase it.

You also have the right to manufacture your own.
This is why I love AMERICA.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #18

Region: Illinois
I am actually buying these. I have the 2013-2014 tail lights on the way, and these are a wonderful option to doing a full rear swap to a 2013-2014 rear bumper.
StevenMcTowelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Good going Mister StevenMcTowelie

Don't forget to show us some pictures after you get them on your Mustang.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #20

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Don't forget to show us some pictures after you get them on your Mustang.
Ronnie
I will, no problem.
StevenMcTowelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If I had a 2012 or earlier I would not change them to later ones. I have a 14 and do like the difference between the earlier ones that gives each their own unique character. I like both.
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Saw this show up on the New Products page over at AM and immediately perked up Raxiom Mustang Tail Light Conversion Trim 301043 (10-12 All) - Free Shipping

Until... I saw it's just a piece of plastic to cover the gap after a 13' tail light conversion onto an 11-12.

That said, for you folks dealing with that gap, might be cool to have. $75 is a little steep for plastic strips though...
One of the guys in my local mustang group has a black 2011. He found a good deal on some 2014 tail lights and bought this piece, it looks really good actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Someone on here who Can make simple things should buy these, and just make copies. $25 each, and four Would pay for it, The rest all profit. $ 75 is absurd for some plastic, that must be at least 80% markup.
There is a huge mark up admittedly, but it's probably copyrighted. Not to mention, somebody had the ingenious idea to actually make it.

My 2005 Mustang for $1,300 Thread:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f312/t361292/
austinkli is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang