2014 Auto Tranny linkage question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
2014 Auto Tranny linkage question

Is the linkage on my transmission mechanical or electronic? When I put my car in reverse, for instance, is that a mechanical response or does the gear selector tell a computer to put it in reverse?
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It tells the computer what to do.

The automatic transmission is controlled by your computer. That is why having a good tuner can really benefit an automatic transmission. Change shift points and increase shift change time is all controllable through the CPU.
This is nothing new. It has been this way since the mid eighty's on a lot of different cars. About 97 up I think 98% of the automatic transmissions went this way.
It's not really a bad thing because it does work very well.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If it were mechanical, you would be driving a standard
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Not sure I understand the question, but there is a mechanical connection between the shifter and the transmission. The computer still has the final say over shifts however.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
Not sure I understand the question, but there is a mechanical connection between the shifter and the transmission. The computer still has the final say over shifts however.
What I am asking is, when I put my car in reverse, is the shifter pulling a linkage to the transmission to put it in reverse? Or is it telling the computer to tell the transmission to give me reverse?

I know that these days the computer tells the transmission when to shift, it used to be hydraulic pressure that determined shifting points. But that is after I put it in drive. Does linkage have anything to do with operating the transmission anymore? or does the shifter just tell the computer what you are requesting?
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Yes the shift linkage tell the transmission what to do

Although the transmission works with hydraulics it is the CPU that is the second in line after you, Telling the transmission what to do.

http://www.carparts.com/transmission.htm#Computer Controls

Read this and scroll down to where it says computer controls.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang