Transmission Cooler V6 Auto - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Transmission Cooler V6 Auto

Hey all!

A mechanic friend of mine is strongly recommending that I purchase a transmission cooler. He said that even as a DD it is a small investment for prolonging the life of the transmission.

I only have two bolt on mods: Airraid CAI and Borla axelbacks. I am also using an MPT performance tune (87 at the moment but have a 93 too).

AM sells them for under $100 and state that the installation is easy.

Thoughts?
-S

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sguevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Your mechanic friend is a wise man.
Anything that you can do to decrease the transmission temperature will increase it's life.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Your mechanic friend is a wise man.
Anything that you can do to decrease the transmission temperature will increase it's life.
Agreed!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It wont hurt anything, but its not like 6r80s are dropping dead anyways. Personally i wouldn't waste the money. If you want to give your transmission a worth while improvement, take that same money and put in some quality fluid.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Cooler is good if your going to run it hard a lot.

f you just drive it and get on it once in a while the cooler is not really what you would want. It's like anything that uses lubrication. You need a certain amount of heat not only to let the transmission function properly but the proper heat will keep the moisture away from inside the transmission.
A cooler is great if you track the car a lot but like VOLTWINGS said:
Quote:
If you want to give your transmission a worth while improvement, take that same money and put in some quality fluid.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
It wont hurt anything, but its not like 6r80s are dropping dead anyways. Personally i wouldn't waste the money. If you want to give your transmission a worth while improvement, take that same money and put in some quality fluid.
True, but something for around a 100$ isn't a hefty investment along with some good fluid, after all heat is usually the #1 transmission killer. If your in a southern state I'd say not a bad investment for the cost.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I'll be doing that with a stall and a cooler :p
Best to do it all at once "while I'm there"

The real... boss 227
alrefire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
f you just drive it and get on it once in a while the cooler is not really what you would want. It's like anything that uses lubrication. You need a certain amount of heat not only to let the transmission function properly but the proper heat will keep the moisture away from inside the transmission.

Ronnie
When I install a trans cooler, I route the fluid through the external cooler first, and then back into the radiator "cooler" (Or heater, as I like to call it) and then back into the transmission. That way, the fluid is still being warmed to operating temperature but (Hopefully!) it never exceeds the radiator coolant temperature.

You'll have to decide how long you're going to keep the car and how many miles that you plan to put on it, OP.
$100 dollars is cheap insurance for a transmission that could cost a few thousand to replace.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
When I install a trans cooler, I route the fluid through the external cooler first, and then back into the radiator "cooler" (Or heater, as I like to call it) and then back into the transmission. That way, the fluid is still being warmed to operating temperature but (Hopefully!) it never exceeds the radiator coolant temperature.

You'll have to decide how long you're going to keep the car and how many miles that you plan to put on it, OP.
$100 dollars is cheap insurance for a transmission that could cost a few thousand to replace.
You can get them for about $700 on ebay . Same with the MT82
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I still say it's not needed for a street car.

There are millions of cars of all makes and models driving around with no transmission coolers on their automatics. I would probably guess that almost all of them have never had a fluid or filter changed in 100,000 miles or more. They are still on the road with no problems.
I think it is a good idea to have the transmission flushed every 60 to 75 thousand miles if you plan on keeping your car forever. Use good trans fluid and a genuine Ford filter and you can be assured of a long living automatic.

If your going to be auto X-ing every weekend or tracking the car a transmission cooler will not hurt but it still is not really needed. I sure don't want one on a car I'm using every day though.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are millions of cars of all makes and models driving around with no transmission coolers on their automatics. I would probably guess that almost all of them have never had a fluid or filter changed in 100,000 miles or more. They are still on the road with no problems.
I think it is a good idea to have the transmission flushed every 60 to 75 thousand miles if you plan on keeping your car forever. Use good trans fluid and a genuine Ford filter and you can be assured of a long living automatic.

If your going to be auto X-ing every weekend or tracking the car a transmission cooler will not hurt but it still is not really needed. I sure don't want one on a car I'm using every day though.

Ronnie
I had two t-birds, one 5.0 and 3.8 and both had transmission failures. The 3.8 at 125k and the 5.0 at 155k. Fluid was replaced regularly but still failed. Maybe the cooler would have help, maybe not, but for a relatively small investment it might have prolonged both transmissions. I think why people are interested is because it could be preventive maintenance at very low cost. I have invested quite a bit into my mustang already, another 100$ or so wouldn't hurt that could potentially help extend the life of my transmission if I had an auto. Hell up here 100$ is almost a tank of 91 gas lol.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
One thing I didn't see, what state do you live in? If you live in Arizona or down on the border in California, your cooler would be better. Driving a DD in +100 or more heat would certainly do a lot more on the engine and the rest of the car.

If you live in Arkansas or Missouri, I think you could get buy without it.

Whomever said you should get a better transmission fluid is right. In fact everyone should be doing that. It's not that expensive.

MY TWO CENTS.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:44 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

Ronnie
^^ This ^^

And flush the fluid every 30K, if you want long life out of ANY automatic transmission. Not just a pan drop, as that only gives you 3 to 4 quarts of fresh fluid; theres still several quarts of old stuff in the torque converter that only a proper flush will remove. Many auto manufacturers put a synthetic oil in the automatic, and this is good. However, they label it "lifetime", which is not good. I would not leave automatic transmission fluid in my transmission over 30K.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The transmission coolers on these cars are huge and thus not needed to be upgraded.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang