Exhaust Woes - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Got my ATAKS in today and I decided to get a Ghost Cam tune from MPT on Monday, also got that today. I looooove the tune. It's music to my ears. Just have to get used to rocking and rolling it does on idle but it sounds viscious.

Can't wait to see what it sounds like with the ATAKS on Saturday!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
So did you went ahead with GT Ataks you ordered, or if you switched your order back to v6?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
So did you went ahead with GT Ataks you ordered, or if you switched your order back to v6?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Switched my order to the V6 and returned the GT over axles. It would have been a cool experiment, but the vast majority of opinions and data I saw, even from Ken the lead calibrator at MPT said it was probably a bad idea.

He said 2.5" should be the max for the 3.7 and that's really only necessary when you go forced induction.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
That's good. The GT OA are just too big
Old 10-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Let us know how you like the ATAKs. I love mine

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Well got the ATAKS on along with my old over axles.

First impression is the sound is VERY different. My old set up was very deep and moderately loud.

This one isn't as deep, but I do like the sound. It sounds like a very nice V6 rather than a weaker V8 that it used to sound like. If that makes any sense.

It is extremely loud at WOT, a bit addictive haha. Nice at idle with my Ghost Cam tune. Not as deep, but nice.

Despite what others say, I did get mild drone cruising at 80 at 2700 rpms. It's very slight, nowhere near as bad as it was with the Pypes.

Now with the old overaxles, I noticed a torque increase. So that means 1 of 2 things. 1) There was a leak in one of the welds in my previous overaxles or 2) 2.5" is too big of a pipe diameter.

Overall, very satisfied. Wish I didn't spend so much money refining my exhaust and would have got this setup to begin with, but live and learn.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Perfecto! Now when you say it's sounds different and ain't too deep, do you mean it sort of sounds like a high end import? -loud, but without that 'pronounced gurgle' characteristic of v8s.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Perfecto! Now when you say it's sounds different and ain't too deep, do you mean it sort of sounds like a high end import? -loud, but without that 'pronounced gurgle' characteristic of v8s.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Right, it sounds somewhat like a loud Porche in my opinion.

I miss the deep tone, but I can get used to this. I bet it would be deeper with the 2.5" overaxles, but I've spent entirely too much time and money on exhaust lately lol.

I'll switch to 2.5" when I go forced induction. I'll have to swap my headers and midpipe anyway, so I figured I'd do it all when that time comes.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Right, it sounds somewhat like a loud Porche in my opinion.

I miss the deep tone, but I can get used to this. I bet it would be deeper with the 2.5" overaxles, but I've spent entirely too much time and money on exhaust lately lol.

I'll switch to 2.5" when I go forced induction. I'll have to swap my headers and midpipe anyway, so I figured I'd do it all when that time comes.

Are you going turbo or procharger route? I kinda like the idea of adding a torque booster on procharger, with 15-18psi pulley and 10 psi waste gate. I'm hoping this will bump up the torque numbers quite a bit, which procharger really lacks!

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you going turbo or procharger route? I kinda like the idea of adding a torque booster on procharger, with 15-18psi pulley and 10 psi waste gate. I'm hoping this will bump up the torque numbers quite a bit, which procharger really lacks!

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Turbo for sure. More potential. I may go with LPF with some custom requests like a variable geometry turbo or piece together my own kit.

The biggest reason I won't consider the procharger is that mediocre torque and the fact you can only scale it up so far.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Turbo for sure. More potential. I may go with LPF with some custom requests like a variable geometry turbo or piece together my own kit.

The biggest reason I won't consider the procharger is that mediocre torque and the fact you can only scale it up so far.

I am all for turbo kit too, but there isn't much first hand data to back up safety concerns. I'm hoping by next summer they can improve their kit, and kink out some of the driveability issues hassan is having atm.

I hate procharger stock torque curve..hands down it sucks! Voltwings posted a great solution to it in grabbers 73mm TB thread this morning though. Read it up if you haven't so far.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
About the logo, everyone should make one, and post it in the mod forum. And you pick.

and no offence but we shouldnt say anything about 3.8
I dont want that stupid war to happen between forums again.

remember that mustangracing.org dispute?
The key to longevity is understanding the parts you're putting on, not cheaping out on critical parts and a good tuner.

That said, it really depends on what your goals are for the car. If you just want a quick daily and rarely track the car, the Procharger is probably fine.

For me, it will still be my daily, but I have big plans.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

I never said anything about cheap parts and a good tuner - if you're referring to my comment. Prolly you're going to spent extra 800 bucks or so for a torque booster. John lund second to none to tune my car. I'm not driving a 2k jap crap that if brakes down then I can easily buy another one next day lol.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 11-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I never said anything about cheap parts and a good tuner - if you're referring to my comment. Prolly you're going to spent extra 800 bucks or so for a torque booster. John lund second to none to tune my car. I'm not driving a 2k jap crap that if brakes down then I can easily buy another one next day lol.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Yeah, for some reason ME is flipping out and made me quote some random post lol.

For anything FI, nothing beats a dyno tune. Lund is definitely good, but even he can only do so much remotely. I found a couple places out here that specialize in forced induction, so that's where I'll be going.

If they can tune a TT Lamborghini Gallardo, they can tune my Mustang lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust