Exhaust Woes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Exhaust Woes

Well, I officially broke my exhaust set up. In a manner of speaking.

I decided to swap to a Catless X pipe on my original Pypes mid muffler catback. Which sounded awesome before the swap. Very nice idle and low end growl and rumble.

Raspy past 3k, but bearable. But the newfound drone after having my gears done drove me crazy. So with this Catless X, I decided to add resonators too.

Unfortunately, with the way this catback is set up, the only room for them is daisy - chained with the mufflers. It got rid of the rasp, but not the drone. It also removed any discernable tone. It just a low buzz now almost.

Very dissapointed to say the least. So, due to all the cutting and welding I had done wi th this catback, I think my best option is to scrap the whole catback and start over.

My options, as I see them, are:

1) Get another Pypes catback set, I loved the tone, just a bit raspy and the drone is a bit bad.

2) Grab some over axle pipes and some Borla S types. (They can eat me if they think I'll pay $900 for their catback).

Or 3) The Dynomax catback. Although it looks pretty similar to the Pypes overall.

I guess use this as a tale of caution when trying to customize your exhaust haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'd buy universal mufflers of your choice (magnaflow streets, cherrybomb vortex, flow tech afterburners, borla pro xs which are basically S types or Dr gas frek mods), Dynomax over axle pipes and call it a day. You're going to save a lot of money going this route.

As for Dynomax ultraflow cat backs, they're going to be much quiter.. quiter than gt500s, as per a forum member who had both.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, also considering the ATAKS, which unfortunately don't have a generic.

It'd be a lot simpler if someone around here had a set up I could listen to. Videos only help so much.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have the Dynomax Ultraflo catback with BBK offroad x-pipe and it is loud! Sounds good during normal driving with a little rasp at 2000 rpm but the quiets down up to about 3000 rpm. But, get on it and it's very raspy. Doesn't bother me cause I like it loud but I know most people hate the rasp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Yeah, also considering the ATAKS, which unfortunately don't have a generic.

It'd be a lot simpler if someone around here had a set up I could listen to. Videos only help so much.

I was searching for generic equivalents to Ataks and S types. Apparently XR-1 are Atak equivalents, as a Borla rep wrote on a challenger forum. However, since these are bit longer, they're going to be just a little quiter than a true Atak muffler.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Here's what she said:

If you install our XR-1 mufflers (with no resonators) and a x-pipe, it will be loud. However, with the full ATAK cat-back system, your Challenger will sound VERY loud and aggressive, and it WILL wake up your neighbors in the morning. Our engineers designed this system specifically for your R/T, to give you the most in performance gains and sound.

While the ATAK mufflers are designed similarly to our XR-1 mufflers, they are not quite the same. Our universal XR-1 mufflers will almost always be quieter than any ATAK muffler, specifically built for a vehicle. Not to rehash what you might already know, but as a general rule of thumb, the larger a muffler is, the more quiet it will be. Our XR-1 Sportsman and XR-1 Multicore mufflers are meant for high horse power, street driven vehicles, and race cars. They quiet you down significantly, in a very short amount of space. How loud of a sound are looking to truly be? Do you want to be a little quieter than ATAK, ATAK loud, or even louder than ATAK? Keep in mind, the louder an exhaust is on the outside, the louder it will tend to be inside of the cabin. Lastly, do you still plan to run your factory cats?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I will post a video of my set up tomorrow

Bbk shorty headers
Ford racing x pipe
Borla ATAKs AB
Also have a CAI, TB, and tune

It sounds literally orgasmic . Can't wait to post it tomorrow!!!

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post

Bbk shorty headers
Ford racing x pipe
Borla ATAKs AB

Can't wait!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
@joey do you have pics of your current set up?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Here's what she said:

If you install our XR-1 mufflers (with no resonators) and a x-pipe, it will be loud. However, with the full ATAK cat-back system, your Challenger will sound VERY loud and aggressive, and it WILL wake up your neighbors in the morning. Our engineers designed this system specifically for your R/T, to give you the most in performance gains and sound.

While the ATAK mufflers are designed similarly to our XR-1 mufflers, they are not quite the same. Our universal XR-1 mufflers will almost always be quieter than any ATAK muffler, specifically built for a vehicle. Not to rehash what you might already know, but as a general rule of thumb, the larger a muffler is, the more quiet it will be. Our XR-1 Sportsman and XR-1 Multicore mufflers are meant for high horse power, street driven vehicles, and race cars. They quiet you down significantly, in a very short amount of space. How loud of a sound are looking to truly be? Do you want to be a little quieter than ATAK, ATAK loud, or even louder than ATAK? Keep in mind, the louder an exhaust is on the outside, the louder it will tend to be inside of the cabin. Lastly, do you still plan to run your factory cats?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Thanks Bazinga, I'll call Borla and look into it. I'd much rather pay $500 ish to fab together my own versus the 800+ of the axle backs and pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post

Bbk shorty headers
Ford racing x pipe
Borla ATAKs AB

Thanks grabber, but our set up is very different, so it wouldn't do me a whole lot of good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaighost View Post
@joey do you have pics of your current set up?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Not yet, I can grab some when I wash the car after work today.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

They're about 120 bucks each..gotta stay close to size 4x9x14, with 2.5" inlet and outlet. Anything bigger and they will be obnoxious.

Use tips and tail pipes from your stock exhaust. For about $420 installed, you're going to have a sick catback with legendary borla sound!

I was also looking into flowtech afterburners (drone free) last night, they have quite stellar reviews. For about $50 each, they're a steal!

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They're about 120 bucks each..gotta stay close to size 4x9x14, with 2.5" inlet and outlet. Anything bigger and they will be obnoxious.

Use tips and tail pipes from your stock exhaust. For about $420 installed, you're going to have a sick catback with legendary borla sound!

I was also looking into flowtech afterburners (drone free) last night, they have quite stellar reviews. For about $50 each, they're a steal!

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Yeah I was including the 2.5" pipe to form new over axels (Summit sells them in 4' sections of stainless steel for about $50 each 4' isn't quite enough so I banked on 4 sections total), tips and ball clamps.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What we did on my Gfs v6 was: Lethal catless Hpipe, then welded in 2 sets of Stock GT resonators we got (people probably have them laying around), and pype bombs axle back. The over all tone is amazing, its quiet when cruising and is sick at WOT. The only time its a little ... maybe harsh is the right word, is right around 3k. Its not "raspy" so to speak, just slightly unpleasant, but we're hoping headers will smooth that out.

Basically, you could use the pypes axle back you already have (if i understand how their catback works), then just find or buy a few sets of resonators and add them to either your stock OAP, or the dynamax set, and you're really not out much money in the end.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
What we did on my Gfs v6 was: Lethal catless Hpipe, then welded in 2 sets of Stock GT resonators we got (people probably have them laying around), and pype bombs axle back. The over all tone is amazing, its quiet when cruising and is sick at WOT. The only time its a little ... maybe harsh is the right word, is right around 3k. Its not "raspy" so to speak, just slightly unpleasant, but we're hoping headers will smooth that out.

Basically, you could use the pypes axle back you already have (if i understand how their catback works), then just find or buy a few sets of resonators and add them to either your stock OAP, or the dynamax set, and you're really not out much money in the end.
Unfortunately the pipe bombs and mid muffler are different.

The mid muffler amounts to straight pipes with resonators "mufflers" right in the middle after the X.

The sound you describe is exactly how my Pypes sounded before I started cutting them up.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Ya this is really hard to answer because not all of us know what your setup sounded before. ive not heard many people say they even like the pypes, most end up selling them like the Roushes once they do some exhaust work (headers, mid pipe, cat-less i.e)

It really depends on what sound your going for, deep and muscular or more of an exotic sound.

If you want to go muscle: H pipe, magnaflow streets and shorties
if you want to go exotic: X pipe, Borla Stingers and shorties

Thos are just two options ive heard in person that really work. for what you have and want im not sure as i can't stand cat-less exhaust. it never sounds good with out a ton of resonators IMO, even then it still has that metallic *tinging* and ricy sound.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Ya this is really hard to answer because not all of us know what your setup sounded before. ive not heard many people say they even like the pypes, most end up selling them like the Roushes once they do some exhaust work (headers, mid pipe, cat-less i.e)

It really depends on what sound your going for, deep and muscular or more of an exotic sound.

If you want to go muscle: H pipe, magnaflow streets and shorties
if you want to go exotic: X pipe, Borla Stingers and shorties

Thos are just two options ive heard in person that really work. for what you have and want im not sure as i can't stand cat-less exhaust. it never sounds good with out a ton of resonators IMO, even then it still has that metallic *tinging* and ricy sound.
Yeah, I had a video up on them, but the camera mic is iffy so it doesn't do much good.

The sound before was a very deep rumble on low acceleration, fairly quiet. A "deadzone" in normal traffic where it was nearly silent. And then very aggressive and loud when you stepped on it. Pretty raspy past 3k.

It really didn't have drone until I swapped gears and cruising at a different RPM.

As for my goals, I was happy with that set up, minus the extreme drone, which is why I even started changing it at all.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

...The sound before was a very deep rumble on low acceleration, fairly quiet. A "deadzone" in normal traffic where it was nearly silent. And then very aggressive and loud when you stepped on it. ...
Sounds like my setup...Deep and slightly burbbly on start up. nice deep tone when cruising and really roars when i step on it...
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

What I think I may do is go with the XR1S (ATAKS). With the pipe from Summit to build OAPs. See how it sounds and have GT resonators Volt mentioned on hand in case it's too much and needs to be tamed down.

I want something aggressive, but not obnoxious with no tone.

None of the off the rack systems tickle my fancy that well.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You could just go with GT overaxel pipes...they should be easy to pick up and have the resonators built in. I may just go that route after i get my intake manifold ported. STILL cant reach Lone Wolf, lol

Also arent the ATAKS Aqusticly tuned specifecly for a certain vehicle?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You could just go with GT overaxel pipes...they should be easy to pick up and have the resonators built in. I may just go that route after i get my intake manifold ported. STILL cant reach Lone Wolf, lol

Also arent the ATAKS Aqusticly tuned specifecly for a certain vehicle?
Possibly, but the GT is 2.75 diameter, which might be unnecessarily large.

Supposedly they are, but Bazinga stated they suggested the XR1S are basically the same. I have an inquiry into Borla and I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

The structure of them don't look any different, but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Possibly, but the GT is 2.75 diameter, which might be unnecessarily large.

Supposedly they are, but Bazinga stated they suggested the XR1S are basically the same. I have an inquiry into Borla and I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

The structure of them don't look any different, but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

You familiar with Eclipsed on youtube...not sure his SN on here but he also is on Fast Ford Muscle. Anyway was with him on a cruise out here in Mass and he swears by the GT over axels. He has the entire GT exhaust except he has Borlas i belive as his AB...but anyway GT H and OAP. car sounds good...
Old 10-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, as per Borla rep, XR1 (oval) mufflers are basically same as Ataks but just a bit quiter. For example if Atak is at 10 for loudness, these universal mufflers would be at 8. Just because of their elongated size and overall internal construction. Now of course if you wanna go louder, chose a 3" inlet and outlet.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Oh and ProXs are generic equivalents of S types. That's what a Borla rep wrote on some forums I was reading a few days ago.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep, as per Borla rep, XR1 (oval) mufflers are basically same as Ataks but just a bit quiter. For example if Atak is at 10 for loudness, these universal mufflers would be at 8. Just because of their elongated size and overall internal construction. Now of course if you wanna go louder, chose a 3" inlet and outlet.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Oh and ProXs are generic equivalents of S types. That's what a Borla rep wrote on some forums I was reading a few days ago.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
If the rep is right, then those will be perfect. Aggressive without being overwhealming.

I sent in an email, but I imagine those get routed to their sales team first which will go on a pitch about how the ATAKS are perfectly tuned to my specific car and blah blah blah lol.

Might have better luck just calling them.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Managed to snag some almost new GT over axles with the resonators on ebay. Surprisingly hard to find them, I figured most coyote folks would jump at the chance to unload em lol.

Gonna get confirmation on the mufflers and then get those and the ball clamps.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Do post your review when you get borlas. I'm currently borderline between Ataks and flowtech afterburners. They are supposed to have similar/very close exhaust note, but let's see.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do post your review when you get borlas. I'm currently borderline between Ataks and flowtech afterburners. They are supposed to have similar/very close exhaust note, but let's see.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Will do. I'm glad I was able to snag pipes with resonators still in them. With my long tubes and catless x, the atak type would probably be messy without them.

There was a GT version of the ATAK catback for sale on ebay, minus the mufflers for $400. I guess the guy got rear ended. But that was 3 and 7/8" diameter, far too big imo for the v6.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't know you were going long tubes with catless X. Even with GT resonators, your Ataks are gonna be super loud. But that's just me.

You can always add another pair of resonators if they're too much for your liking. May be take offs from a GT due to their comparatively smaller size than a pair of magnaflow glasspacks.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't know you were going long tubes with catless X. Even with GT resonators, your Ataks are gonna be super loud. But that's just me.

You can always add another pair of resonators if they're too much for your liking. May be take offs from a GT due to their comparatively smaller size than a pair of magnaflow glasspacks.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
I already have the LTS and x. I've had them for a long while now lol

Old 10-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I already have the LTS and x. I've had them for a long while now lol

Sorry if this has already been said but Im jacked on soooo much coffee right now
You could always use GT overaxels, they have resonators already built in and the size will give you more of a deeper tone....not sure what it will due to the rasp but for how cheep you could find them its worth a shot.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry if this has already been said but Im jacked on soooo much coffee right now
You could always use GT overaxels, they have resonators already built in and the size will give you more of a deeper tone....not sure what it will due to the rasp but for how cheep you could find them its worth a shot.
Lol little late to the party. Already bought some off eBay. Surprisingly few on there though. Maybe the coyote guys just do axle backs or something.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quick question but is there any advantage going with that big of piping 2.75" or is it better just going the regular 2.50" catback piping

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
stanglife305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglife305 View Post
Quick question but is there any advantage going with that big of piping 2.75" or is it better just going the regular 2.50" catback piping

Not really other than sound or if you go forced induction. I'm just going with the GT over axles because they're cheaper and have resonators built in.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not really other than sound or if you go forced induction. I'm just going with the GT over axles because they're cheaper and have resonators built in.

Let us know if you feel any negative effects after...like low end trq loss or something.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Let us know if you feel any negative effects after...like low end trq loss or something.

You can lose power if you go bigger in piping?

stanglife305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglife305 View Post
You can lose power if you go bigger in piping?

If you go too big, yes. It can lose pressure. A V8 is going to create significantly more exhaust pressure than our 6.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust