2014 EcoBoost vs S197 V6 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by fission View Post
The aftermarket will be all over the 2.3 EB. More cars to sell parts to (GLOBAL Engine)
Within a year you will see fully built 2.3s pushing well in excess of 550Rwhp.

The tune at the shop straight up told me he wouldn't charge me a dime for him to tune and drop bigger turbos and play with it. (Im happy with my v6 for now)

EDIT: Also a FI platform stock is much easier to go FI

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Mustang Evolution mobile app

So your talking about a 650 700 hp engine 4 cylinder.... That's going to be a verrrry costly build ..... How is a fi platform stock much easier to go fi?? It's all ready fi very confused on what you mean
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 03:34 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geok.91 View Post
W

why though please explain

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bc everyone is giving it's opinion on it after 1 video that AM did lmao.

Come on, 3.7 guys you are in trouble with this car

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:24 AM   #38
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
ima hate on any ecoboost I see on the street lol

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
I hope you're joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I would take the ecoboost over the 3.7 any day.

Same here, but I'm set on getting a Coyote as my next Mustang. That turbo 4 is gonna be much more accepting of any mods you throw at it. I want to wait a year or two to see if any bugs pop up in the new platform and for said issues to be worked out, then I'll decide on if I want to buy a S550 or go with a '13-'14 S197.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I nearly did a damn backflip when i saw this. Very glad to see the 3.7 comes out on top.

ig - @bradpigden
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It's going to be so easy to get quick power from the EB. The beauty of stock FI plus it already has a strong foundation

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
I nearly did a damn backflip when i saw this. Very glad to see the 3.7 comes out on top.

ig - @bradpigden
After one video. But you might want to front flip right back to where you were, bc yal are in over your heads after 1 video

Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Drag racing aside, if you roll up on an EB from 40-50 and it has even minor mods its game over. They're making almost 340 wtq bone stock with a tune, thats more than enough to get the jump on a lot of cars. Not to mention the cars have literally been out for like a week, i would expect the tunes to become more refined as time goes on.

Also, the one Ford racing did was not heavily modified. It had:
Drag radials (not slicks)
downpipe
tune
the rear seats were removed (it was not gutted) but they had a 4 point cage in there as well, which i'm willing to bet was heavier than the seats. That car, on a Ford Racing calibration went 12.56 @ 110. A 110 trap speed for that few of mods is astounding. Bet money with more mods and E85 that car is trapping high teens.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After one video. But you might want to front flip right back to where you were, bc yal are in over your heads after 1 video

Nah i dont think i will. Ill let ya know how it goes when they are in production and one rolls up next to me. I, much like everyone else was expecting it to be no contest with the EB comin out on top. More hp/torque on paper and 3.55s in the rear of the eb is just more proof that the 3.7 is no slouch. But I am looking forward to seeing more videos, especially one from a roll.

ig - @bradpigden
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Show me one 3.7 with just a tire and a tune and off road mid pipe running 12.5...... I'll wait

Old 10-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Show me one 3.7 with just a tire and a tune and off road mid pipe running 12.5...... I'll wait

Show your *** cuz you seem pretty butthurt over this. To be honest i dont really care whos gonna beat who cuz at the end of the day theyre all mustangs. All that video does for me is give me more proof that i bought the car i wanted/needed for my day to day activities. I personally dont race stangs or even enjoy it because we got nothing to prove to each other , we ALL got sweet rides.

ig - @bradpigden
Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol, shots fired.

The EB is detuned as hell from the factory, all stock turbo cars are to keep the heat down, its why they gain such a massive bump from a tune alone. SCT picked up 20 whp and 30 wtq bone stock... the 3.7 is no slouch, but thats almost what its getting with full bolt ons and a tune... No hate here for the 3.7, but it just cant compete with the EB, they're in different classes.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Show your *** cuz you seem pretty butthurt over this. To be honest i dont really care whos gonna beat who cuz at the end of the day theyre all mustangs. All that video does for me is give me more proof that i bought the car i wanted/needed for my day to day activities. I personally dont race stangs or even enjoy it because we got nothing to prove to each other , we ALL got sweet rides.

ig - @bradpigden
Not but hurt. You guys are ragging all over the ecoboost after 1 video that AM did.
The 3.7 is a dam good car, but to claim the ecoboost is slow after 1 video is not a smart call.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #48
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I took an Ecoboost out for a test drive yesterday. Pretty impressive bone stock right off the lot. I can see that the Ecoboost is going to put down some nice numbers with a tune. It won't take much to bump it up.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Im not saying its slow. Its fast as f for a 4 cyl and everybody and their moms could agree with that. I'm just sayin that the love i have for the 3.7 is enough to keep me from trading it in for an eb. Hell even for a 5.0.. I never hit the track or the strip and have no trouble keeping up to +90% of the cars around here, i actually had an epiphany the other day and it was that if i did have anything faster it would just be a waste on my part cuz i wouldnt need all that power. Its just nice to know that the 3.7 stock for stock can handle its own and will more than likely be around for a few more years, thats all.

ig - @bradpigden
Old 10-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #50
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
2014 EcoBoost vs S197 V6

Quote:
The 3.7 is a dam good car, but to claim the ecoboost is slow after 1 video is not a smart call.

I don't think anyone's calling it slow. I'm certainly not. It's just not as fast as the 3.7 stock for stock which is surprising.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im not saying its slow. Its fast as f for a 4 cyl and everybody and their moms could agree with that. I'm just sayin that the love i have for the 3.7 is enough to keep me from trading it in for an eb. Hell even for a 5.0.. I never hit the track or the strip and have no trouble keeping up to +90% of the cars around here, i actually had an epiphany the other day and it was that if i did have anything faster it would just be a waste on my part cuz i wouldnt need all that power. Its just nice to know that the 3.7 stock for stock can handle its own and will more than likely be around for a few more years, thats all.

ig - @bradpigden
I don't blame you for not wanting to trade yours for the EB. I wouldn't if I was you.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I don't think anyone's calling it slow. I'm certainly not. It's just not as fast as the 3.7 stock for stock which is surprising.

Definately caught me by surprise.

Does anyone know what gears the 3.7 had??

ig - @bradpigden
Old 10-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't blame you for not wanting to trade yours for the EB. I wouldn't if I was you.

If i were to trade it would be to a 5.0 but as i said in a previous thread my little girl rides with me sometimes and i have no intention of strapping her into a racecar lol.

Also i heard a couple horror stories about the f-150 eco's. Buddy of mine at work has a friend whos blown his motor a few times and has seen his turbo red hot after having it pinned on the highway for some time. By no means a fair comparison, but when it boils down to it having a turbo is just more parts that can break. When/if i do go FI itll be when i have another car for a dd and the 3.7 would just become a fun weekend toy.

ig - @bradpigden
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Also, Rap i'd love to see some vids of your car at the track. I like to live vicariously through monster cars like yours lol

ig - @bradpigden
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also, Rap i'd love to see some vids of your car at the track. I like to live vicariously through monster cars like yours lol

ig - @bradpigden
I will have to get some the day it becomes a track car, it's still a roll car right now, and has been sitting in the garage more than anything lately.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #56
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
2014 EcoBoost vs S197 V6

I just looked up the curb weight of the S197 and the EB automatics.

Apparently the EB is only 6 lbs heavier.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just looked up the curb weight of the S197 and the EB automatics.

Apparently the EB is only 6 lbs heavier.

So weight wasnt a factor in the race. Thats good to know

ig - @bradpigden

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Quote:
I will have to get some the day it becomes a track car, it's still a roll car right now, and has been sitting in the garage more than anything lately.

Ahh damn

ig - @bradpigden
Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #58
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Was just able to watch the video (stupid work computer haha). The eco runs a 14.36 in it's race with the manual eco. The S197 V6 runs a 14.57 in the race with the eco (15 flat on that run). So while the V6 won that specific race, it seems that they are both capable of similar ETs. I think I even heard the AM guys say that the eco's best of the night was 14.3 and the V6's was 14.4. Stock for stock, they're pretty neck and neck from what I can see, but I'm willing to bet that the turbo 4 is gonna see more gains from mods than the V6 does.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The ecoboost is like the following scenario: you're at work and all of a sudden, your boss asks you to train a new hire. You go through the motions and before you know it, a month later, you're out of a job even though you've been with that company for 30+ years. This is a perfect analogy as to what I think Ford wants to do with the EB.
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Definately caught me by surprise.

Does anyone know what gears the 3.7 had??

ig - @bradpigden

This is what I've been saying. All the video shows is one car beating another. Without more details it's impossible to say which engine is better. What if the V6 had 3.31 gears and the ecoboost had 2.73s? What if one had the premium package that added more weight?

I am really surprised that AM did post more details on both cars opposed to just generic "hey let's see if this ecoboost car is faster then his V6 car"

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #61
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Wow- It was good to see my "OLD" home away from home

Yep, Cecil County Drag strip was one of my old hangouts. A great place to race or just run for fun.

First I want to say that I love my 3.7 Cyclone V6 and ain't about to give it up for anything.

I also love the GT's because they offer the tremendous street power that we all love.

I just gotta say that i'm really happy that Ford decided to use a Turbo four in the Mustang. We all know by now it is to meet the C.A.F.E. standards that our very wise knowledgeable car hating President has initiated. Also it will be easier to sell in other countries.

I think a whole lot of people are going to like the Turbo four and there is going to be a lot of performance Mod's put out for this engine.
With the twin scroll Turbo there is not a whole lot of Turbo Lag and works way better then some of the turbo's we seen in the past.

I'm really happy they are keeping what in my opinion is the best Ford engine ever made ( Other then the old flathead ) I had to get that in. The 3.7 V6 Cyclone engine is hard to beat for MPG, Performance and toughness.

Time will tell if the Turbo four will be something we would want to own. Quarter Mile times are not even closely related to how an engine is going to function well on the street in everyday driving. You will either like it or not like it.

ME: I'm just gonna keep what I have until the wheels fall off.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to see a turbo 3.7 up against the eco 4......... Just saying.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

And what does that prove? I'd like to see a turbo 5.0 against a turbo 3.7 ...Just sayin.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
This is what I've been saying. All the video shows is one car beating another. Without more details it's impossible to say which engine is better. What if the V6 had 3.31 gears and the ecoboost had 2.73s? What if one had the premium package that added more weight?

I am really surprised that AM did post more details on both cars opposed to just generic "hey let's see if this ecoboost car is faster then his V6 car"

Ecoboost had 3.55s in the AM video

ig - @bradpigden
Old 10-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Lol, shots fired.

The EB is detuned as hell from the factory, all stock turbo cars are to keep the heat down, its why they gain such a massive bump from a tune alone. SCT picked up 20 whp and 30 wtq bone stock... the 3.7 is no slouch, but thats almost what its getting with full bolt ons and a tune... No hate here for the 3.7, but it just cant compete with the EB, they're in different classes.
Agreed,when dealing with boosted cars when modding its hard to pull out ahead N/A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Same here, but I'm set on getting a Coyote as my next Mustang. That turbo 4 is gonna be much more accepting of any mods you throw at it. I want to wait a year or two to see if any bugs pop up in the new platform and for said issues to be worked out, then I'll decide on if I want to buy a S550 or go with a '13-'14 S197.
Not sure what your saying here...

Quote:
We all know who will be buying this car. 2 types of people: 1. those who want a great economy car with style and power
2. Those who plan to mod the **** out of it and want a boosted vehicle.
the 3.7 just wont be able to compete aside from it's lower base price (i'm assuming thats the plan?)

Quote:

Also i heard a couple horror stories about the f-150 eco's. Buddy of mine at work has a friend whos blown his motor a few times and has seen his turbo red hot after having it pinned on the highway for some time. By no means a fair comparison, but when it boils down to it having a turbo is just more parts that can break. When/if i do go FI itll be when i have another car for a dd and the 3.7 would just become a fun weekend toy.

ig - @bradpigden
Thats what happens with turbos...there are many ways to reduce heat some use bigger turbos for less psi and achive equal power and some with have heavily heat shielded ones to keep the heat isolated. Aside from that a turbo will glow after being driven hard.

Quote:
And what does that prove? I'd like to see a turbo 5.0 against a turbo 3.7 ...Just sayin.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Fact is, there will ALWAYS be someone faster than you. Doesn't matter what kind of car you have. You have a 1000+ HP Coyote? Cool story. The Street Outlaw class guys will roll up in 2-3k Twin turbo monsters and stomp a mud hole in you.

Just enjoy your car. You want it faster, make it faster.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #67
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
my .02

for the premium $ of a turbo I would spend the extra for a V8. I would have paid $3000 for two more cyclinders but the $5-6K Ford gets is more than I was willing to spend. I've driven the V8 and like the majority think it's better, just cant bring myself to spring for it. I hope the new Stang does well but hope the Turbo doesn't so the 3.7 has aftermarket support. It does seem from what I've been reading is Ford ain't interested in the 3.7 which makes Mud feel sad I think it's a good engine. My $ on Turbo to V6 is it's a drivers race stock to stock. Mods once again boil down to a wallet race.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
well said mudd

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Finally, us 6 bangers can **** on somebody Defiantly going to slap some FAT 3.7 badges on my fenders to welcome the ecoboost boys to the club. Here's hoping a coyote doesn't walk by.... But seriously that ecoboost is going to be a monster
I've been considering pulling off my 5.0's and putting on the 3.7's to F' with people!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly my point. They are comparing a turbo 4 to a stock N/A 6, there is no doubt that the ECO 4 has HUGE potential and advantage over the 3.7, just like a turbo 3.7 will have a HUGE advantage over a N/A 5.0, we are comparing oranges to apples here. That's what I was saying. Either way the ECO 4 is a welcome edition to the mustang family.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang